PDA

View Full Version : Fairy House

Tanith
14-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Like a birdhouse or a bathouse, but very tiny and designed for nature spirits and the fae.

What are your thoughts on this? I would like to make a few fae-houses for my Ostara project this year (for every sabbat starting this past Samhain, I wanted to do a specific project. Since it's my first official Year celebrating)

I have a beautiful tree (I think it's willow?) that is right next to my house. I wanted to make a few small fae-houses for it, a simple stone one to put at the base, and a couple to put on the branches next to the trunk. The tree feels very special to me and I've become quite attached to it.

I had in mind a larger one to put in the garden in the front yard, very pretty and colorful. The smaller ones (about the size of a juice box) I was going to make a little more natural-looking so that they blended in with the tree.

What are your thoughts on such things? Do you like them or do you discourage them, and why? If you encourage them, why?

Animus27
15-03-2012, 03:17 AM
I think they can be cool. :} But even so I go by the belief that most land-wights tend to live in natural objects, like peculiar trees, waterfalls, and stones - large and flat stones in particular seem to be a common residence for many hidden folk. But the idea of building a home for some is a nice idea. :D

Podshell
15-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Wonder if coconut shells would be any good ? I crack coconuts in half then glue them back together after taking the flesh out, with the intention of carving/sculpting them with a power tool. I suppose if you are really good you could make faberge egg like homes for the little folk

iolite
15-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Awesome!! The craft stores sell unpainted bird houses. Occasionally, they even have tiny ones. One year we made some fairy houses using them. I used hot glue and polished pebbles (also craft store) and made a "stone house". It didn't hold up to the elements though. If I did it again, I think I'd probably try using something like liquid nails and then calk or grout the whole thing. It was a fun project. I also made my daughter a small house from popsicle sticks. I put in a window opening and made a door on hinges. I used tiny craft hinges.

Duck eggs would be good for the fairy houses, duck eggshells are a lot thicker and sturdier than chicken eggs.

Podshell
15-03-2012, 06:20 PM
If you built a tiny stone cottage type dwelling , using the same methods they do for real houses, by sticking the stone together, what would be best to use on it? Something that looks and acts like mortar, but normal mortar wouldn't be practicable I dont think , would it? I suppose you could build tiny log cabins too, just by scaling down the methods used on humansized ones.

Tanith
15-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Yes I was thinking that as well Animus; What would be the point of making a fae house when they dwell in nature? I guess perhaps I was thinking of the same reason a person might build a birdhouse or a bat-house, when these animals also tend to find natural places to build or make their homes. It would just be a gesture of goodwill and invitation, perhaps with the hope of seeing more!

These are great ideas! Perhaps I will modify Pod's suggestion a bit and create little shells for trinkets to put in the tree? This would be cute I think :)

I was thinking a trip to the craftstore was in order so I had already planned. I'm sure I'll be able to find something there to help out with my houses. My dad has a duck- I'm sure I could find a few eggs to keep because he usually cleans them out.

I was thinking of using stones and twigs to build some little things like that but I too am at a loss of what to use to hold them together??

iolite
16-03-2012, 11:12 PM
If you want to make a twig and stick house, you could use a hot glue gun to hold it together or if you want all organic, use string to hold it together.