PDA

View Full Version : Blood. Seeking a metaphysical view.

Sangress
05-03-2012, 03:12 AM
Does anyone know any theories regarding the metaphysical/spiritual meaning and interpretation of blood?

I've decided I want to research it because it seems to be spiritually/metaphysically significant in many cultures and to many indicviduals past and present.

Sources for information to do with religious and historical references would be nice.

Personal opinions/experiences and beliefs would be good too.

Thanks. :)

Quintessence
05-03-2012, 03:54 AM
Interpretation of blood? I don't understand. What's there to interpret? Unless you're doing the sort of divination that involves interpreting blood splatters from ritual sacrifices... >_<;

As for meaning or symbolism, I don't know about "metaphysical/spiritual" (vague terms; not sure what is meant) but in terms of folklore/mythology, blood has pretty much always been connected with vital life essence for reasons that should be readily evident. No blood = you die (at least for humans). Menstrual blood specifically has also been a source of many mysteries and taboos, both for the substance itself and for women themselves. It should be easy to find a whole ton of things about menstrual blood taboos and the "uncleanliness" of it. Don't have any specific references for you; these are things I've run across here and there when studying mythology and folklore.

As for personal experience... I'm disinclined to share at this time. This forum doesn't seem like the proper venue for it, nor is what I have to share what you seem to be looking for.

Sangress
05-03-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the reply, you gave me the kinds of things I was looking for pretty much. Just anything about blood relating to spiritual/religious/metaphysical/folklore/mythological things.

I'll be more specific in my question.

By interpretation i had a vague idea in my head like "what are the metaphysical charicteristics of blood?" and "what are the metaphysical/spiritual uses of blood?" but its not just limited to those questions.

Anything goes. Im simply interested in this particularly broad subject.

Oh and now that I think of it, Im not too keen on recounts of sacrefices and such (in the personal experience catagory) since in most places its illegal to kill most things unless its for food....so yeh. Common sense is always nice. :P

psychoslice
05-03-2012, 04:50 AM
I think the blood is like the pure Consciousness, its in all things, and it is all things, this blood is what is symbolized in the Communion when Jesus gave it to the disciples, Jesus represented the Christ, the Christ is One with the father, or pure Consciousness, so by taking the win that represented the blood of pure Consciousnesses, it was supposed to have the effect of Enlightening the one who drinks the blood, of course its all metaphorical.

Animus27
05-03-2012, 06:08 AM
In much Old Norse poetry and writing, drinking the blood of enemies, whether human or animal, is a way to gain knowledge or strength. Such as Sigurd drinking/tasting the blood of Fafnir and gaining the understanding of bird-speech as a result.

psychoslice
05-03-2012, 06:23 AM
In much Old Norse poetry and writing, drinking the blood of enemies, whether human or animal, is a way to gain knowledge or strength. Such as Sigurd drinking/tasting the blood of Fafnir and gaining the understanding of bird-speech as a result.
Cheeeep Cheeeep...

kinetic87
05-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I see blood as being linked to the root chakra, and the iron in blood links us to the iron core of the earth. But I am also curious to know what the true properties of blood are given the significance in various ancient practices.

Mr Interesting
05-03-2012, 09:46 PM
The blood tends to be an expression of the heart flowing into the body and also the liver pancreas and spleen do their bit to understand what the body brings back... and sends out.

A slower part of this function is the marrow in the bones sending out the oldest messages to the muscles which enact the life so there is too that communicative process.

I think blood is essentially about transference and aiding communication.