PDA

View Full Version : Hinduism in Wicca.

ArianHawk
27-02-2012, 03:24 PM
I would like someone to give me information or links or something on BASIC Hinduism.

My thoughts are here:

- I am Wiccan, not Hindu. But I would like to research Hindu deities to find out if they are right for me.

- I would like to know the basic principles of Hindu.

- I would like a few names of Gods or Goddess', what is special about them, a little about their story, and why someone would pray to them. (In what cases, eg, if someone needs comfort they pray to *name*)

If you need more info, just ask. :redface:

Blessings,

Arian Hawk

Krishna-prem
28-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I would like someone to give me information or links or something on BASIC Hinduism.

My thoughts are here:

- I am Wiccan, not Hindu. But I would like to research Hindu deities to find out if they are right for me.

- I would like to know the basic principles of Hindu.

- I would like a few names of Gods or Goddess', what is special about them, a little about their story, and why someone would pray to them. (In what cases, eg, if someone needs comfort they pray to *name*)

If you need more info, just ask. :redface:

Blessings,

Arian Hawk

Hi Arian,

There are 3 basic principles of Hinduism that underlay everything else.

1) Karma- this is not only cause and effect, this is the idea of appropriate action. At each point in our lives we have actions that are prescribed. For example, a student's job is to study and work hard to achieve their goals and please their teachers. A house holder, on the other hand, should establish a home and enjoy the pleasures that come from wealth and love. Karma (action) is taken a step further as well. For the devoted action itself becomes an offering to the divine.

2) Dharma- this is following one's duty or truth. Dharma is acting wisely, developing compassion and love, and nourishing one's spiritual life. Dharma includes meditating, religious rituals, devotion to the divine or one's guru, pursuing the spiritual world, and acting with kindness.

3) Moksha- this is the attainment of liberation from the cycle of reincarnation. When Karma and Dharma are followed correctly, Moksha is achieved.

Names of Goddesses-
Sarasvati
Ambhika
Ambha
Lakshmi
Durga
Kali
Paravati
Ganga
Tara
Devi, Shakti, Maa (general names)
Mariaman
Radha
Bhuvanesvari
Bhairavi
Sita

There are many more- those are just the ones that come to mind right now.

Aum Hari Aum!

Iksvakave1
01-03-2012, 12:52 AM
The three basic principal of Hindusim --- Karma, dharma and moksha.
Where did you hear about this? Where does it say these are the three basic principals of Hindusim?

Wasn't she arian hawk looking for Gods and as well as Goddesses?
Why just Goddesses? Can't a God be a deity as well in Hindusim?

It is interesting that arian you are looking for a deity to worship.
I am a born Hindu. See over the last years I have REALLY comtemplated the idea of what a Hindu is and especially if it is a religion or a diety that anyone could take and worship. I respect people wanting to study it and participate in it and do consider some of them HIndu's to some degree but I think you would have to be born into the religion. That is a popuplar Hindu opinion.

Krishna-prem
01-03-2012, 02:31 PM
The three basic principal of Hindusim --- Karma, dharma and moksha.
Where did you hear about this? Where does it say these are the three basic principals of Hindusim?

These are the unifying principles that appear time and time again whether one is Vaishnav, Shaiva, Shakti, or Smarta. These are the themes that appear again and again in the Upanishads, Puranas, and epics. The only people I know of that may not accept these three principles are possibly the Arya Samajis but I don't know enough about Arya Samaj to comment on them.

Wasn't she arian hawk looking for Gods and as well as Goddesses?
Why just Goddesses? Can't a God be a deity as well in Hindusim?

I misread the post, I thought they were only looking for goddess names.
No one said God can't be a deity. Given my name name and avatar it should be pretty clear that Vishnu is my ishtadeva so why would I say God is not a deity in Hinduism?

It is interesting that arian you are looking for a deity to worship.
I am a born Hindu. See over the last years I have REALLY comtemplated the idea of what a Hindu is and especially if it is a religion or a diety that anyone could take and worship. I respect people wanting to study it and participate in it and do consider some of them HIndu's to some degree but I think you would have to be born into the religion. That is a popuplar Hindu opinion

This may be your belief but it has no basis in reality. If one has to be born a Hindu to be Hindu how on earth did Hinduism spread out of India into Vietnam, Cambodia, and Indonesia? Those places were never traditionally Hindu. Hinduism was brought in through trade and political expansion after the beginning of the Common Era.

Also if you study the history and archaeology of Hinduism it is clear that Greeks and Muslims converted and were accepted into the large Sanatana Dharma community. In fact some examples from history- Heliodorus, Haridas Thakur, Pamheiba, Charairongba, etc. In fact here is a list of some pretty well known Hindu converts-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_converts_to_Hinduism
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_converts_to_Hinduism)
This type of belief that one has to be born Hindu to be Hindu will make Sanatana Dharma weak and will spell its demise in the face of religions that actively and aggressively convert.

Aum Hari Aum!

Krishna-prem
03-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Hindu Gods:

Names for and forms of Vishnu:
Vishnu
Narayana
Matsya
Kurma
Varaha
Narasimha (Nrisimha, Nrisingha)
Vamana
Parashurama
Rama
Krishna
Kalki (future avatar)
Venkateshwara (my beloved)
Venkatesh
Srinivasa
Govinda
Gopala
Keshava
Madhava
Padmanabha
Hari

the list goes on and on. Vishnu has 1008 names

Shiva's names
Nataraj
Tandava
Maheshwara (Maheshvara)
Mahadeva
Hara
Rudra
Vamadeva

Someone else here may be able to provide more names and forms for Shiva than me.

Other Gods:
Muruga: Murugan, Skanda
Ayyapan
Ganesha: Ganapati
Brahma
Surya
Indra
Vayu
Agni
Hanuman (incarnation of Shiva)
Dhanwatari
Garuda
Kartikay

There are many more to this list and I know I'm leaving some devas out that I'm sure others can fill in. I hope this is helpful.

Aum Hari Aum!

Thinker108
03-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Some other names of Shiva are Ashutosh, mritunjay, neelkanth. Kakubh, sadayogi, yogeeswar, ahibhusan, vyomkesh, Mahakal. Shoolpani, gangadhar, chandramauli, avdhootnath, etc. every name shows some philosophy.

Present
06-03-2012, 06:14 AM
would like to know English translation of OM Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya. If anyone isfamiliar with this mantra.