PDA

View Full Version : How to overcome Fear

Shabby
26-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Fear is a great part of life, but it is not something that promotes anything other than limitations and can hold us often back from experiencing Life to it's fullest. So what are some approaches you have used to overcome fears in your life?

Quintessence
26-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Let's remember for a second that fear is a teacher and a protector. If fear is telling me "hey, don't stick your hand in that raging fire!" I'd consider that a good thing. Dismiss fear at your own mortal peril. To me, the key is recognizing the difference between fear as teacher/protector and fears that are unnecessary, irrational, or really are holding you back as you say, Shabby. Once you recognize your fear is stupid and baseless, it's not too hard to put it into the trash bin. On the other hand, if your fear isn't baseless, you should listen to it. It could save your life.

Shabby
26-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Let's remember for a second that fear is a teacher and a protector. If fear is telling me "hey, don't stick your hand in that raging fire!" I'd consider that a good thing. Dismiss fear at your own mortal peril. To me, the key is recognizing the difference between fear as teacher/protector and fears that are unnecessary, irrational, or really are holding you back as you say, Shabby. Once you recognize your fear is stupid and baseless, it's not too hard to put it into the trash bin. On the other hand, if your fear isn't baseless, you should listen to it. It could save your life.

I agree, so then let's not talk about the fear that is a teacher and protector but the fear that is unnecessary.

silent whisper
26-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Facing the minds unfolding, through self awareness of each one...changing the fear to an empowered affirmation to replace it...then feeling the fear to release it. To feel fear I had to also become aware of my unwillingness to feel fear fully so I had to empower myself in that space first to not be afraid of feeling fear. During my own releases when my physical body went through an energetic shift with this process, I felt the energy shake my entire body. Most times I knew I was releasing it fully this way. When I think about it now, it was almost like the reverse of locking my physical body into the fear....freeing the mind and creating a new empowered thought, allowed my body to disengage the energy locked in...

I guess thats the mind body spirit concept at work....

sound
26-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Experience tells me that my fears stem from my beliefs Shabby ... once I can see through the belief the fear dissipates ... even those necessary fears are still based on beliefs, although I feel that those actions which promote survival are based on an innate desire to live more-so than than a fear of dying ...

Mr Interesting
26-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Well you gotta face it... that's a fact.

I was asked to speak in a group twice last friday and the first time the fear came on and the heart started racing... I could hardly speak and I had to speak through it, which wasn't pleasant but I did anyways and though I knew my fear was totally apparent I kept going and didn't mind what people thought.

So alot of fears are based around what people think of us and they may be down deep but going through with stuff and allowing the fear to come out while at the same time living the idea that you don't mind what it makes you look like is a good way to go about releasing those fears.

The second time my heart started racing again but I spoke to it and said to calm down, it's alright, we're fine, these people love us (me and the inner child maybe) and it was a lot less fearful and I actually enjoyed the moment in the sun....

These two incidents actually took me by surprise but I'm beginning to realise that even when alot of clearing and letting goes been done, thats only the surface stuff, and the deeper stuff start's to make it's way to the surface, which is good, but it's quite surprising how the situations of clearing start to go public after all the time in solitude.

Tends to make you stronger and even less attached...

silent whisper
26-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Well you gotta face it... that's a fact.

I was asked to speak in a group twice last friday and the first time the fear came on and the heart started racing... I could hardly speak and I had to speak through it, which wasn't pleasant but I did anyways and though I knew my fear was totally apparent I kept going and didn't mind what people thought.

So alot of fears are based around what people think of us and they may be down deep but going through with stuff and allowing the fear to come out while at the same time living the idea that you don't mind what it makes you look like is a good way to go about releasing those fears.

The second time my heart started racing again but I spoke to it and said to calm down, it's alright, we're fine, these people love us (me and the inner child maybe) and it was a lot less fearful and I actually enjoyed the moment in the sun....

These two incidents actually took me by surprise but I'm beginning to realise that even when alot of clearing and letting goes been done, thats only the surface stuff, and the deeper stuff start's to make it's way to the surface, which is good, but it's quite surprising how the situations of clearing start to go public after all the time in solitude.

Tends to make you stronger and even less attached...

Yep stepping into them ( reconnection)...with new awarness...I know how the public speaking one feels Mr I, but its empowering to the pysche when you can do what you did...

My feeling is that when we pull out the root and have to step into old fears....it still requires courage to walk it through...but its much easier of course than with flight in place...

http://m.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2 F2012%2F02%2F23%2Fvenus-jupiter-moon-align_n_1296600.html&t=Planets+Align+February+25%3A+Venus%2C+Jupiter%2C +Moon+To+Converge

It was my birthday this weekend.....this made me smile...it seemed fitting for you today so I hope you soak it up too...:)

Osian
26-02-2012, 08:33 PM
My spiritual teacher tells me fear is just an illusion, blocks us off from the sunlight of the spirit. When im in fear i share it with someone to take the power out of it, I then ask that my higherself remove this character defect, instead i choose tp be fearless.

shehari
26-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Fear is something which has followed me all my life...

I havent done so many things due to fear

My biggest fear is others "judgement" about me.

If ppl. think I am not intelligent, I am less worth... and I seem to always see this, that's my conditioned brain construct which sees it all the time because, I guess, we see what we believe, and that becomes our reality. In my case this is totally true...

Just in that moment when I see that someone might think in a certain way, my fear, insecurity comes up...

this sucks

:-((

Mr Interesting
26-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Hey Silent Whisperer, took me a while to get that... I was looking for a deeper meaning... which I kinda found... then saw the Smile! Lovely.... yup, I had a good ol' chuckle.

Horse Lover, I have a sister from a past life who I met about 4 years ago and we met to do work together and it's been an absolute godsend havin' someone I share such a strong spiritual affinity with. But lately she's been questioning me about what she defines as backsliding. She's said I was so sorted and onto it way back at the beginning but that I've lost confidence and ambition... that strong vibrancy has gone.

I've been trying to explain to her that I've gone so much deeper since then and uncovered stuff that needed uncovering... I've let things go to really open up to what I am and let whatever needs to come up... surface... and I'm facing it.

This has weakened me on the surface... I'm more fragmented and less resolved... but that's all part of the process. You get strong so you can dig deeper.

Meanwhile I've realised she needs to do work and have made tentaive steps to encourage her... but she already knows... she says... shes already done the big hurdles so why would there be anymore... they don't exist...

I've been giving her hints that things need to be done, choices made, but she's ignored me and what I've suggested might happen has happened but still she clings to her version of enlightenment already achieved....

The only thing I can do now... is allow my own frailties even more light and hope that she sees, in my fallibility, what she's achieved is only another beginning.

Teachers work like teachers in that speaking the obvious serves a purpose but it help's to realise that layer upon layer are above and below the obvious and learning to read those may be the reason behind the obvious. I'm not trying to scare you... just that you can help your teacher along by taking on board what is offered but still be open to the significance beyond the significance.

athribiristan
26-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I remind myself that Fear is the opposite of Faith. If I am experiencing Fear it can only be because I am lacking in Faith. To the degree that one is present the other cannot be. With the reminding my Faith is renewed and the Fear is driven away.

Osian
26-02-2012, 10:07 PM
I hear what your saying Mr Interesting but i try and keep it simple, i could analyse fear and thoughts til the cows come home, the if buts and whysand more all day long but all that does is grip me into morbid reflection, negativity and self doubt. Id rather see the fear, know its source,admit it, know why i fear it and let it go. Fear keeps me small, it stops me from being the spiritual greatness that my soul knows i am, the rest of that rubbish that floats around my mind just holds me down. Thats the way i see it anyway. Using spiritual tools frees me from the bondage of self and my teacher is just LOVELY. I consider myself lucky.

Fear knocked at the door, faith answered, no one was there. Love it.

Mr Interesting
26-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, yes and no athribiristan, I would agree to both agree and disagree with what you say.

I'd add that while fear and faith may very well be two sides of one coin I'd add that trying to come to terms with what the coin actually is is of greater consequence, in the long run, than what side of the coin is facing up.

It might be that fears met with greater faith just brings up greater fears or that greater faith becomes a stronger shield to hold back greater fears.

What I think I'm questioning is that both faith and fear are parts of the same whole, alike joy and sadness are components of compassion, and that if we come to understand the core relationship of faith and fear we might uncover the real strength that gives faith an underpinning of bedrock...

Osian
26-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Like love and hate being two emotions of the same coin, anything else is indifference.

For me personally, when faced with fear, the only choice i have is faith, by not trying to control the outcome but rather surrender to the divine unfolding of lifr and 'trust' that everything is exactly as its supposed to be brings me great serenity. Being in more fear makes me useless and if anything at more harm or in more danger of whatever that fear maybe. I'm a believer in the law of attraction ang what i give out comes back to me so i really try not to come from a fearful place, for me my fears are often not even real! I tell myself oh no i can't possibly do 'x' i'm not good enough, its a fear, a time wasting sabotaging fear holding me back. I have a choice not to be in fear, as long as my ego doesn't step in all is cool because sometimes things dont go how i expected and thats ok to.

Mr Interesting
26-02-2012, 10:49 PM
What ever rocks your boat... if it feels good do it!

santacruz18
26-02-2012, 11:54 PM
I fear that I cannot control the unknown. I have been told that my fear is blocking me from "hearing" my guides/angels even though I have heard a few times in the past. I do protect myself with the white light, faith and trust, I am continually working on these also.

CSEe
27-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Fear is a great part of life, but it is not something that promotes anything other than limitations and can hold us often back from experiencing Life to it's fullest. So what are some approaches you have used to overcome fears in your life?

My own fear since aged 10 is my death , I always fear after I die I will be fanish forever , no more CSEe FOREVER , my extreme fear lead to to my own realization of Buddhism , I found peace in my understanding of Buddhism , perhaps very much different then others but most importantly to me , I found peace .
From my understanding , Buddhism is a natural process of searching , evolving , learning ., discovering to know ownself , to free ownself by being awake by own realization .
I current realize what am I , why my existance and what is end of me .

Now , after I have a daughter , my fear had developed into another kind of fear which is more , very much more then before that is fear for my daughter safety / health and her lifelihood .
My understanding of Buddhism does offer a great deal of peace but my desire to love my daughter seems more then that understanding , I am now searching for greater awareness , greater realization to free myself of this fear and "let go" my daughter .
I am now in a process of learning to love my daughter same and equal to all beings ........thats is Buddhism that is to treat all living or non-livings the same and equal.
Own realization of own desire , own emotions will free ownself from all including fear .
Own realization is to me Buddhism.
Thks
CSEe

3dnow
27-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Fear is the belief that something bad will happen.

Instead I believe the opposite.

Emmalevine
27-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Knowing what I'm scared of and doing it anyway....

or reminding myself that I did, at one time, come through a terrible situation.

that has helped me most of all.

Simple, but profound.