PDA

View Full Version : What is Spiritualism ?

loveincarnate
26-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I came here because the subject interests me from the understanding/pov that I have. But noticed that here Spiritualism is listed as a Religions &/or Faith ... so who can define [as far as members are concerned] what Spiritualism is ?

MMM
26-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Spiritualism is a belief system or religion, postulating the belief that spirits of the dead residing in the spirit world have both the ability and the inclination to communicate with the living. Anyone may receive spirit messages, but formal communication sessions are held by "mediums", who can then provide information about the afterlife.
Spiritualism is a recognized religion.

mac
27-02-2012, 02:17 AM
This posting is as pointless as forests' others. I won't waste any time on it....

Reminds me of Jon Donnis...

CSEe
27-02-2012, 03:53 AM
I came here because the subject interests me from the understanding/pov that I have. But noticed that here Spiritualism is listed as a Religions &/or Faith ... so who can define [as far as members are concerned] what Spiritualism is ?

Spiritualism is a search , learning , to understand ownself , own need , own desire , own emotion ............this realization is spiritualism.
Thks
CSEe

mac
27-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Spiritualism is a search , learning , to understand ownself , own need , own desire , own emotion ............this realization is spiritualism.
Thks
CSEe
Like many others, you've confused 'spiritualism' (or 'spirituality') with Spiritualism. Follow this link:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26564&page=2 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D26564%26amp%3Bpage%3 D2)

for the discussion of the definition (posting #1) which is shown below it.

"Spiritualism is an officially registered, legally recognised, religion in a number of countries. It's also been described as a philosophy and a science.

Adherents of its teachings and guidance will often refer to themselves as Spiritualists. Some will be regular members of a church or centre. Others will rarely, or never, be seen at one.

Spiritualism (or Modern Spiritualism to signify its most-recent appearance) asks no belief or faith. It teaches that we all survive physical death into continuing life elsewhere. Abundant evidence of that has been provided through mediumship for over a century.

A medium is someone who facilitates communication between those alive here in this dimension and others who are still alive but in the 'spirit' dimensions. Where evidence of identity is obtained by a medium - as for example from a deceased relative or friend - it may be termed evidential mediumship.

Other mediums have facilitated communications from spiritually-evolved teachers and guides. Their guidance has provided a framework of understanding about what happens after death. Teachings have been widely recorded in books and some were recorded electronically at the time they were given. "

mac
27-02-2012, 04:22 AM
see below....

CSEe
27-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Like many others, you've confused 'spiritualism' (or 'spirituality') with Spiritualism. Follow this link:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26564&page=2 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D26564%26amp%3Bpage%3 D2)

for the discussion of the definition (posting #1) which is shown below it.

"Spiritualism is an officially registered, legally recognised, religion in a number of countries. It's also been described as a philosophy and a science.

Adherents of its teachings and guidance will often refer to themselves as Spiritualists. Some will be regular members of a church or centre. Others will rarely, or never, be seen at one.

Spiritualism (or Modern Spiritualism to signify its most-recent appearance) asks no belief or faith. It teaches that we all survive physical death into continuing life elsewhere. Abundant evidence of that has been provided through mediumship for over a century.

A medium is someone who facilitates communication between those alive here in this dimension and others who are still alive but in the 'spirit' dimensions. Where evidence of identity is obtained by a medium - as for example from a deceased relative or friend - it may be termed evidential mediumship.

Other mediums have facilitated communications from spiritually-evolved teachers and guides. Their guidance has provided a framework of understanding about what happens after death. Teachings have been widely recorded in books and some were recorded electronically at the time they were given. "

Yes you are right , my knowledge of this words is different from the actual meaning .
I had check it out from Goggle seems to be a religion or some kind of faith which is new to me .
Thanks for your informations , I will avoid using this word again .
CSEe

mac
27-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes you are right , my knowledge of this words is different from the actual meaning .
I had check it out from Goggle seems to be a religion or some kind of faith which is new to me .
Thanks for your informations , I will avoid using this word again .
CSEe

my pleasure - Glad I was able to help. :smile:

loveincarnate
28-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Spiritualism is a belief system or religion, postulating the belief that spirits of the dead residing in the spirit world have both the ability and the inclination to communicate with the living.
I didnt know that.

loveincarnate
28-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Spiritualism is a search , learning , to understand ownself , own need , own desire , own emotion ............

I would call that "Psychology" which I do study.
I see it as the "study of the soul" (Greek "psyche" = "soul")
Understanding one´s self
comes through knowing the templates of human consciousness ... which is taught in Psychology.

I hade thought that "spiritualism" was the study of "spiritualist" aspects, I had no idea it is centred on communicating with the dead.
That reply surprised me.

mac
28-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Understanding one´s self
comes through knowing the templates of human consciousness ... which is taught in Psychology.

But. then, you're describing something that doesn't fit into the forum description of 'Religion & Faiths > Spiritualism' category....You'd be describing something that isn't 'Spiritualism' at all.

The correct description is kinda like the one I've given below. You need to know about Spiritualism to be able to describe it. :wink:

mac
28-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Understanding one´s self

I hade thought that "spiritualism" was the study of "spiritualist" aspects, I had no idea it is centred on communicating with the dead.
That reply surprised me.

You're not the first.

Many come to this forum without looking at the forum title and the sub-section. The 'spiritualism' you'll perhaps know (or 'spirituality') is about being to do with the spiritual, being spiritual etc.

The religion and philosophy of (Modern) Spiritualism isn't.

Left Behind
28-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi Loveincarnate sadly it is a belief system invented on fraud. Mediums have used 1000s of tricks into fooling people spirits are real, it is all very dishonest. All religion is man made and unreal. However if you want a "religion" that has a basis in reality then just worship nature :wink:

Before I'd do that, Forests, I'd have to first become convinced that nature created itself, and me. :D

Jim

Left Behind
28-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Spiritualism is a religion and a science. For some people who believe in it, it is their religion. For others, it is a practice or belief that enhances their religious faith: be that faith Christianity, or whatever.

Spiritualism refers to the belief that incarnate human beings have/are spirits/souls that survive our bodily death: and that those discarnate souls have the ability and the desire, under some circumstances, to establish contact with us.

Also, the related practice on our parts, of trying to engage in such contact.

Spiritualism is NOT a synonym for spirituality. One can be highly spiritual and have no interest or belief in spiritualism.

Jim

deepsea
28-02-2012, 04:38 PM
This posting is as pointless as forests' others. I won't waste any time on it....

Excuse me while I have a chuckle,Mac...:icon_lol:

CSEe
28-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Understanding one´s self

That reply surprised me.

Thanks for your information , this is new word to me .
CSEe,

Enya
28-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Ah yes, I remember him well... :wink:

my_road
31-03-2012, 09:40 PM
hi i heard this spiritualist path came alive late 1800s by those sisters who worked with spirit to try to prove it by gaining knocks/tap sounds, but i bet this practice been around since the beginning i feel but it took the people time to acept it. mediumship and psychism been around for ages.

Left Behind
31-03-2012, 09:48 PM
hi i heard this spiritualist path came alive late 1800s by those sisters who worked with spirit to try to prove it by gaining knocks/tap sounds, but i bet this practice been around since the beginning i feel but it took the people time to acept it. mediumship and psychism been around for ages.

They were the Fox sisters, and it was on March 31, 1848 - 164 years this very day - that they established the first known conversation with spirit in modern times.

But yes, as you say, mediumship is an ancient practice. It, sadly, fell by the wayside as time went by, until its resurgence in the mid 19th century.

Jim

mac
31-03-2012, 11:25 PM
They were the Fox sisters, and it was on March 31, 1848 - 164 years this very day - that they established the first known conversation with spirit in modern times.

But yes, as you say, mediumship is an ancient practice. It, sadly, fell by the wayside as time went by, until its resurgence in the mid 19th century.

Jim

huh!

Do you know, Jim, I hadn't thought of that but I should have done because it's the birthday of our son and also the day of his death.

deepsea
01-04-2012, 06:29 AM

Jim

I wondered what was thought of Spiritualism before the Fox sisters?
:smile:
Deepsea

mac
01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I wondered what was thought of Spiritualism before the Fox sisters?
Deepsea
It probably wouldn't have had that name but there likely have been mediums and seers for as long as humankind has been around in a recognisably humanoid form.

We'll never know for certain much about those times while we're in the physical because written or pictorial records don't go back very far but details about the distant history of humankind, and how spiritual progression was designed to operate in this physical dimension, can be accessed (should it still be of interest to us) after we've passed over again. Until then we can only speculate....

Left Behind
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
huh!

Do you know, Jim, I hadn't thought of that but I should have done because it's the birthday of our son and also the day of his death.

That sounds like more than just coincidence, Mac! :icon_eek:

Jim

Left Behind
01-04-2012, 04:53 PM
It probably wouldn't have had that name but there likely have been mediums and seers for as long as humankind has been around in a recognisably humanoid form.

We'll never know for certain much about those times while we're in the physical because written or pictorial records don't go back very far but details about the distant history of humankind, and how spiritual progression was designed to operate in this physical dimension, can be accessed (should it still be of interest to us) after we've passed over again. Until then we can only speculate....

We seem to have retrogressed Spiritualistically, though, just as we progressed materially and technologically: until the big resurgence in 1848.

I always say the events in that year with the Fox sisters were the first KNOWN spirit contacts in the modern era. Who's to say what was going on in private?

And I'm also being ethnocentric (as we all are, and for which I don't apologize). Who's to say what sort of Spiritualistic contacts were being made by American Indians, Asians, Africans, etc. during the early modern era, as that term is defined by the Western world?

mac
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
That sounds like more than just coincidence, Mac! :icon_eek:

Jim

I've wondered about that in the past, Jim, but without clear evidence or even general indicators, I put the notion to one side as 'uncertain', maybe to be picked up again at some point, some day....

mac
01-04-2012, 06:26 PM
We seem to have retrogressed Spiritualistically, though, just as we progressed materially and technologically: until the big resurgence in 1848.

I always say the events in that year with the Fox sisters were the first KNOWN spirit contacts in the modern era. Who's to say what was going on in private?

And I'm also being ethnocentric (as we all are, and for which I don't apologize). Who's to say what sort of Spiritualistic contacts were being made by American Indians, Asians, Africans, etc. during the early modern era, as that term is defined by the Western world?
The world is a big place with billions of inhabitants - how would one ever be able to assess whether 'the world' is/was progressing spiritually as a whole given (as you point out) that it may be happening 'behind the scenes' or in various races?

I'm always aware that as we discuss the few issues we do, there are huge disparities within countries let alone between nations - even between those nations whose primary language is nominally the same! :D Take, then, all the countries whose languages and social structures are greatly different from our own and what might be learn from them were we able to speak the same language? Only someone with a multi-language capability could begin to undertake such a task and then only were there communication modes as we have here with our discussion forums.

In my few years online I've heard such a divergence of views over matters that I had previously believed to be fundamental that I now have confidence only in what I say. I also know from experience that what I say will mean very different things to many of the folk I encounter, even though much of what I write is not based on my personal ideas but on the teachings of individuals who I deeply respect, who I see as highly spiritually-evolved but about whom others just don't know..

Given such a failure in my own communications on such specific subjects, how could one ever gain much of an impression about whether any spiritual changes are happening out there in the wide world?

Left Behind
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
The world is a big place with billions of inhabitants - how would one ever be able to assess whether 'the world' is/was progressing spiritually as a whole given (as you point out) that it may be happening 'behind the scenes' or in various races?

I'm always aware that as we discuss the few issues we do, there are huge disparities within countries let alone between nations - even between those nations whose primary language is nominally the same! :D Take, then, all the countries whose languages and social structures are greatly different from our own and what might be learn from them were we able to speak the same language? Only someone with a multi-language capability could begin to undertake such a task and then only were there communication modes as we have here with our discussion forums.

In my few years online I've heard such a divergence of views over matters that I had previously believed to be fundamental that I now have confidence only in what I say. I also know from experience that what I say will mean very different things to many of the folk I encounter, even though much of what I write is not based on my personal ideas but on the teachings of individuals who I deeply respect, who I see as highly spiritually-evolved but about whom others just don't know..

Given such a failure in my own communications on such specific subjects, how could one ever gain much of an impression about whether any spiritual changes are happening out there in the wide world?

But I was speaking only of Spiritualistic progress, in the Western world, during the modern (let's say, commencing around 1500 A.D. - or C.E. if you prefer) era.

I DON'T believe that I'm in error in saying that from 1500 until 1848, the Western world advanced a great deal, materially and technologically: but retrogressed (or at least, made little or no comparable progress) Spiritualistically.

SPIRITUALLY, now, who can say? That's largely in the eyes of the beholder. I daresay that a Roman Catholic with a pre-Vatican II type of spirituality could point to tremendous decline in the world over the past 50 years. A New Ager could point to just as much progress during the same time period.

Jim

mac
01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
But I was speaking only of Spiritualistic progress, in the Western world, during the modern (let's say, commencing around 1500 A.D. - or C.E. if you prefer) era.

I DON'T believe that I'm in error in saying that from 1500 until 1848, the Western world advanced a great deal, materially and technologically: but retrogressed (or at least, made little or no comparable progress) Spiritualistically.

SPIRITUALLY, now, who can say? That's largely in the eyes of the beholder. I daresay that a Roman Catholic with a pre-Vatican II type of spirituality could point to tremendous decline in the world over the past 50 years. A New Ager could point to just as much progress during the same time period.

Jim

I don't know what you mean by "Spiritualistic progress" but if it's in connection with Spiritualism - which has only been termed such since the events of 1848 - I don't know what would be seen as 'Spiritualistic' before that.

The adjective 'spiritual' is so open to personal definition that it's largely valueless as an adjective.

help!

deepsea
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM

My only suggestion can be is that Spiritualism showed it's face in the form of what we called 'witches' from way,way back.
They were condemned to death in those days only because it was not understood what they were trying to tell us.
Many were evil but many were very good prophets or (mediums?) in those long ago days.

Left Behind
01-04-2012, 10:00 PM
My only suggestion can be is that Spiritualism showed it's face in the form of what we called 'witches' from way,way back.
They were condemned to death in those days only because it was not understood what they were trying to tell us.
Many were evil but many were very good prophets or (mediums?) in those long ago days.

Yes, that's one way, Joanie, certainly.

Mac, while the term "Spiritualism" may not have been coined till 1848, nevetheless, as you say, Spiritualistic practices have been going on since ancient times. Where did the Bible come from, if not spirit revelation? And what is spirit revelation, if not Spiritualism?

Ji m

mac
01-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Yes, that's one way, Joanie, certainly.

Mac, while the term "Spiritualism" may not have been coined till 1848, nevetheless, as you say, Spiritualistic practices have been going on since ancient times. Where did the Bible come from, if not spirit revelation? And what is spirit revelation, if not Spiritualism?

Ji m

You'd have to define "Spiritiualistic practices" first, Jim, before I can comment further.

It's arguable that many of the Bible's ideas and teachings came via the inspiration/involvement of discarnates but they surely wouldn't be termed 'Spiritualistic' if the adjective for Modern Spiritualism's influence is 'Spiritualistic'.

One preceded the other and a different adjective for the events two millennia ago is needed in my view.

deepsea
02-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Spiritualism may have been known from ancient times,Jim.
Accepted in a way different from our way.
Take a medium as we call them but how did they accept a 'medium' in their time?
A prophet? A 'soothsayer'? A 'witch?'
Any manner of description that suited the times long ago.
Deepsea

mac
02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Knowledge of matters of the spirit has probably been around since humankind emerged in its current form.

The religion and philosophy called (Modern) Spiritualism, however, emerged only recently.

Using the word 'Spiritualism' to mean all forms of understanding or knowledge of the spirit is very confusing.

deepsea
02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Knowledge of matters of the spirit has probably been around since humankind emerged in its current form.

The religion and philosophy called (Modern) Spiritualism, however, emerged only recently.

Using the word 'Spiritualism' to mean all forms of understanding or knowledge of the spirit is very confusing.

As long as we remember Mac,whatever it is called,it is still the subject of life after death.
I should say 'The truth of life after death'.

mac
02-04-2012, 04:12 PM
But matter of the spirit and Modern Spiritualism itself are not only about survival beyond death....

Understanding survival may be all that a particular individual is seeking at a particular time but that may be just a lead-in to a broader understanding, that of life in the way that humankind experiences life.

Matters of the spirit run deep.

deepsea
02-04-2012, 04:25 PM
'That human kind experiences life'

Are we talking about the physical life or life in the spirit world?

mac
02-04-2012, 07:18 PM
'That human kind experiences life'

Are we talking about the physical life or life in the spirit world?

As humankind we experience life in the physical dimension - that was what I was meaning, life here in the physical.

Once we've passed we're discarnates, no longer physical humankind - 'spirits' as many term us - and we then experience life in the etheric.

Left Behind
02-04-2012, 07:33 PM
You'd have to define "Spiritiualistic practices" first, Jim, before I can comment further.

It's arguable that many of the Bible's ideas and teachings came via the inspiration/involvement of discarnates but they surely wouldn't be termed 'Spiritualistic' if the adjective for Modern Spiritualism's influence is 'Spiritualistic'.

One preceded the other and a different adjective for the events two millennia ago is needed in my view.

Well, the Bible's inspirers couldn't be representative of Modern Spiritualism, if the phenomenon known by that name began in 1848. However, it seems reasonable to me that the Bible was written, at least in part, via automatic writing, and trance mediumship.

Jim

Left Behind
02-04-2012, 07:37 PM

I define Spiritualism as any contact, or attempted contact, between incarnate persons and discarnate entities.

Jim

mac
02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Well, the Bible's inspirers couldn't be representative of Modern Spiritualism, if the phenomenon known by that name began in 1848. However, it seems reasonable to me that the Bible was written, at least in part, via automatic writing, and trance mediumship.

Jim

That's a step too far for me to accept at a distance of 2000 years, Jim although I could agree that the writings were inspired via communication with discarnates.

mac
02-04-2012, 07:44 PM
I define Spiritualism as any contact, or attempted contact, between incarnate persons and discarnate entities.

Jim

That's not Spiritualism, Jim. That's simply communication. Spiritualism is so much more than just that....

deepsea
02-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Communication from spirit to physical is like contacting relatives and friends,to say 'I'm home again,wish you were here'.

The other part of spiritualism is ascending or progressing into higher realms like looking for promotion in employment in the physical.
(more hard work ahead of us,Jim.:BangHead: ).

Plus enjoying the delights of feeling free once more in that wonderful world around us.

mac
03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Communication from spirit to physical is like contacting relatives and friends,to say 'I'm home again,wish you were here'.

The other part of spiritualism is ascending or progressing into higher realms like looking for promotion in employment in the physical.

Plus enjoying the delights of feeling free once more in that wonderful world around us.

Spiritualism is a modern movement, a philosophy, a religion.

Whether or not we have any knowledge of it our spiritual progress - and that of all other souls - will continue. It did so before Modern Spiritualism came about and it will do long after it's little more than a memory or after some other movement has replaced it.

deepsea
03-04-2012, 09:47 PM
What kind of movement are you thinking of,Mac?
Something completely different?
More information which may come to life regarding Spiritualism?
A more Modern aspect of Spiritualism,perhaps....something we are not aware of.

Left Behind
03-04-2012, 10:59 PM

I'm beginning to suspect that our work in the next world is assigned to us, Deepea. Also that things are run much better there: we're probably happier there with what we're assigned, than we are here with what we like to think we "choose".

Jim

mac
04-04-2012, 12:24 AM
What kind of movement are you thinking of,Mac?
Something completely different?
More information which may come to life regarding Spiritualism?
A more Modern aspect of Spiritualism,perhaps....something we are not aware of.

I was referring only to the movement, the religion, the philosophy of Modern Spiritualism, the one we all know about presently.

Whatever else may follow - if anything else follows - it's gonna be the same information, perhaps enhanced with additional information as a result of changes we're currently unaware of and which have often been spoken about and/or promised....

mac
04-04-2012, 01:22 AM
I'm beginning to suspect that our work in the next world is assigned to us, Deepea. Also that things are run much better there: we're probably happier there with what we're assigned, than we are here with what we like to think we "choose".

Jim

If you're serious then I'm surprised, Jim....

deepsea
04-04-2012, 06:54 AM
My opinion is our work in this world (physical) is assigned to us before we are born.
We progress from that work when we reach spirit.
it's all a matter of learning something new each time which hopefully will benefit us through the long haul of (physical and spirit) life.:smile:

Left Behind
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
If you're serious then I'm surprised, Jim....

I'm serious, Mac. Things I'm reading in Spiritualist literature indicate that the next life is more controlled than this one.

Sure, wouldn't we all like to spend a thousand years touring the place, and swinging in a hammock? :D But I wonder if wishing it so, makes it so? Or if we wouldn't get bored quicker than we thought?

Jim

mac
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm serious, Mac. Things I'm reading in Spiritualist literature indicate that the next life is more controlled than this one.

Sure, wouldn't we all like to spend a thousand years touring the place, and swinging in a hammock? :D But I wonder if wishing it so, makes it so? Or if we wouldn't get bored quicker than we thought?

Jim

What you've been reading sounds more like the ideas of humankind than authoritative spiritual guidance. More like the way it's taught in certain mainstream religions.....

I know of no Spiritualist teachings about a controlled afterlife so which Spiritualist literature, one might wonder, did you find it in?

I'd agree that the so-called afterlife is structured - not haphazard as sometimes suggested by the ideas of certain fanciful individuals - but not controlled.

mac
04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
My opinion is our work in this world (physical) is assigned to us before we are born.
We progress from that work when we reach spirit.
it's all a matter of learning something new each time which hopefully will benefit us through the long haul of (physical and spirit) life.:smile:

Is your opinion based on anything you've read or heard from respected sources of afterlife information?

Left Behind
05-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Let me dig around and throw you some quotes.

Jim

deepsea
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Is your opinion based on anything you've read or heard from respected sources of afterlife information?

Mac,I have read many sources of respected afterlife information.

That doesn't mean I have to accept what those sources say.
I don't even make notes of what I have read,I read what interests me.
Some of what I have read makes sense,some doesn't.
Some even sounds like a fairy tale to me.
Some makes a lot of sense.

My primary interest is the truth of of what real spiritualism is.
I don't think anyone has convinced me yet.

mac
05-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Let me dig around and throw you some quotes.

Jim

I'm all ears....:smile:

bobby24
31-08-2012, 11:00 AM
If you want to understand and realize what spiritualism is I strongly recommend to read a crossing or the drop's history by Anatoliy Obraztsov. I'm a beginner. I tried a lot of books to understand what it is. But, I found a crossing or the drop's history is the easiest. Reading thins one sometimes you'll think that the author is your father or mother. Very intelligible book.

deepsea
31-08-2012, 11:17 AM
A book we can understand,thank God!
Sounds interesting.
Deepsea

bobby24
26-09-2012, 11:23 AM
It's a your inner feelings...

mac
26-09-2012, 04:45 PM
It's a your inner feelings...

Spiritualism (not spirituality) is fundamentally the understanding and acceptance that life goes on beyond corporeal death and communication through mediumship with those who have passed over.

Beyond those simple notions (simple but many struggle to accept them) there's a world of other issues which can be considered in light of ideas given by teachers and guides generally accepted as being spiritually-evolved.

Those related issues can be the most intriguing but understanding them is not necessary. One may take from the table whatever one wishes; as much or as little.

Juanita
26-09-2012, 07:08 PM
spiritulism, spiritism, spiritual all have to do with "spirit"--your own or someone elses.....you can be a spiritualist without being a Spiritualist--meaning a church or organized group......It is the belief in spirit and the belief that we can communicate with those on the Otherside...you don't necessarily "need" a Medium to communicate, but a gifted Medium is very helpful....It is about proving the continuity of life after death.......spirituality, on the other hand, is getting connected with your own spirit/soul--your higher self........