PDA

View Full Version : Why do people smoke cigarettes?

Lightspirit
21-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Why do people take up or continue to smoke cigarettes? I have never had the desire and have always been curios to know why they do it. It sorta seems illogical to me, knowingly making yourself sick with them.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ps: at 8 or 9 years old after going around picking up mums smoldering butts out of the ashtray and smoking them, my aunt we lived with said to me "so you want to smoke cigarettes do you?"

She gave me a full packet and a lighter and said begin working your way through them. I still can remember how sick I got, I felt like I turned green. That day. Cured for life I was of desire to smoke.

Every time I smell or see one I remember, and curiosity gets the better of me to wonder why people do it.

WhiteWarrior
21-02-2012, 10:50 PM
It's the nicotine. A very mild narcotic, it soothes the nerves and is also addictive. If introduced today it would be banned immediately. Add to this the enormous amounts of money used by the industry on marketing.

Native spirit
21-02-2012, 11:01 PM
:icon_eek: Its an easy question for me to answer as i dont smoke like ureself never had the desire to,but it would be different answer from a smoker i guess.

Namaste

Mayflow
21-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Why do people take up or continue to smoke cigarettes? I have never had the desire and have always been curios to know why they do it. It sorta seems illogical to me, knowingly making yourself sick with them.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Ps: at 8 or 9 years old after going around picking up mums smoldering butts out of the ashtray and smoking them, my aunt we lived with said to me "so you want to smoke cigarettes do you?"

She gave me a full packet and a lighter and said begin working your way through them. I still can remember how sick I got, I felt like I turned green. That day. Cured for life I was of desire to smoke.

Every time I smell or see one I remember, and curiosity gets the better of me to wonder why people do it.

There is not probably one single simple answer. Back when, it was thought cool I think but no one knew the health problems that it could create. Nowdays, we know about how bad it can hurt your health. I did smoke for a while but I quit. It is expensive and stinky and hurts your lungs and weakens the immune system. Your second hand smoke can also hurt the lungs of those inflicted.

Lightspirit
22-02-2012, 12:09 AM
I see young people doing it and think to myself..why?

psychoslice
22-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Cigarettes: a light on one end and a fool on the other.

Arawn
22-02-2012, 01:13 AM
I don't smoke, but I have always had cravings/urges to smoke clove cigarettes. This was always an odd thing because my mom only smoked regular cigarettes and she only smoked while at bingo so I was never really around the smoke unless I was at a concert.

I always detested the smell of smoke and can't stand the smell of stale smoke on someone's clothing. It makes me a bit sick to smell it and I always wrinkle my nose and I don't like being around people who smoke.

Despite this, I still have an urge to smoke clove cigarettes. I enjoy the smell of those because the smoke is sweet. I attribute it partially to my following of Anubis, clove cigarettes apparently being one of the things you can offer him. (Like I said, the urge has been there for years and I didn't follow Anubis until recently.)

I have only once in my life taken a drag on a clove cigarette and disliked it, but the urge is still there and comes in waves.

psychoslice
22-02-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't smoke, but I have always had cravings/urges to smoke clove cigarettes. This was always an odd thing because my mom only smoked regular cigarettes and she only smoked while at bingo so I was never really around the smoke unless I was at a concert.

I always detested the smell of smoke and can't stand the smell of stale smoke on someone's clothing. It makes me a bit sick to smell it and I always wrinkle my nose and I don't like being around people who smoke.

Despite this, I still have an urge to smoke clove cigarettes. I enjoy the smell of those because the smoke is sweet. I attribute it partially to my following of Anubis, clove cigarettes apparently being one of the things you can offer him. (Like I said, the urge has been there for years and I didn't follow Anubis until recently.)

I have only once in my life taken a drag on a clove cigarette and disliked it, but the urge is still there and comes in waves.
Do your lungs a favor and forget it.:smile:

Arawn
22-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Do your lungs a favor and forget it.:smile:

Oh, I don't smoke. I know the health implications of smoking having had a grandpa with one lung due to having had smoked (granted he died in his 80s and still smoked up until he died).

The urge to smoke is just there despite never having ever finished a cigarette in my life.

BlueSky
23-02-2012, 01:40 AM
You reallly have to have struggled with addictions to understand them.
In regards to cigarettes, the addiction to the nicotine is the easiest to get over. The mental addiction is so strong that people will smoke when told they should quit.
Addictions in general are an interesting topic IMO and this one has a healthy respect for them and their abilty to take me over if I give them an opening.

For me smoking cigars or a pipe was a way to relax and I miss it terribly......lol

Silver
23-02-2012, 01:44 AM
That's true, James. I hate when this subject comes up because it always brings to mind the old gal on the smoking ads with the hole in her throat and she puffed away on her ciggy through the trach hole. ~shiver~ gack~*

I used to date a guy whose father died of yep, lung cancer ~ he smoked 4 packs a day ~ he lived long enough to properly (?) procreate, having had 14 kids (Irish-Catholic)!

Lightspirit
23-02-2012, 08:12 AM
THanks for that guys I have some insight now ast to why they kep doing it. Now why do people start?

BlueSky
23-02-2012, 05:08 PM
THanks for that guys I have some insight now ast to why they kep doing it. Now why do people start?

Pipe smoking, for example is very pleasurable and relaxing.

Gracey
23-02-2012, 05:13 PM

i started on my 16th birthday, my friend bought me a pack as a present. that is the reason i started, to fit in with my peers. i smoked a pack a day until i was 30 years old. they were killing me. i quit cold turkey and never desired them since the moment i quit, i was ready and it was an easy decision, just as easy as it was as starting.

BlueSky
23-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I quit when my daughter was born and it was easy but then many years later i started again.....first a pipe then cigarettes and that time it was almost impossible to quit.
Thats why I have a healthy respect for addictions.......

Godwin
09-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Smokers are addicted of cigarettes and can not leave it, so they smoke
and smoke.
Once they started smoking they can not quit