PDA

View Full Version : What is Not?

Gem
19-02-2012, 06:01 AM
It's documented in the runes of philosophy somewhere, that what is truth can be established by the elimination of all that is untrue.

The very function of doubt is the eradication of falsity from mind, falsity being fictitious inventions or stories about what happens to be.

Of ourselves there are elaborate tales of how kind, loving and wonderful, and alternatively, how hopeless, unworthy and useless we are. I'm not one to discredit the validity of these impressions, as each would have sound evidence to back any of these claims, however, that does not detract from these being stories about, and not the actual self proper.

For all appearances I am indeed that which I truely believe of myself. The thoughts which are given credibility become what is my nature, and serve as the contextual basis by which I interact with the universe, vastly affecting my quality of life.

"Then there is the further question of what is the relationship of thinking to reality. As careful attention shows, thought itself is in an actual process of movement. That is to say, one can feel a sense of flow in the stream of consciousness not dissimilar to the sense of flow in the movement of matter in general. May not thought itself thus be a part of reality as a whole? But then, what could it mean for one part of reality to 'know' another, and to what extent would this be possible?" (David Bohm, Wholeness and The Implicate Order, 1980)