PDA

View Full Version : what is ego, 2 meanings to the word ego

Kali
15-02-2012, 11:13 PM
id like to discuss this please ok ... pretty much, there is no self that is tangible. to think of a self as a self is objectifying it, making it a concept to which you then start to build a fabrication. But ... there has to be a starting point to view the reality, your reality, from. paradox central haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IssuxU8RC_g&feature=channel_video_title this video is 1 and a half min long watch then gimme an argument perhaps a dif viewpoint i wanna crack this wide open. if any one is familiar withthe 4 functions of the mind id love to discuss that too, bc i have been trying to grasp all this mumbo jumbo even though in trying ive broken the first rule supposedly ... sigh

silent whisper
16-02-2012, 12:40 AM
She brings to my mind we are perfect just the way we are..when we get out of our "own way"...and get into the way of "just being"

athribiristan
16-02-2012, 04:44 AM
id like to discuss this please ok ... pretty much, there is no self that is tangible. to think of a self as a self is objectifying it, making it a concept to which you then start to build a fabrication. But ... there has to be a starting point to view the reality, your reality, from. paradox central haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IssuxU8RC_g&feature=channel_video_title this video is 1 and a half min long watch then gimme an argument perhaps a dif viewpoint i wanna crack this wide open. if any one is familiar withthe 4 functions of the mind id love to discuss that too, bc i have been trying to grasp all this mumbo jumbo even though in trying ive broken the first rule supposedly ... sigh

That video made no sense....well ok maybe just a little. The part about not destroying the ego is good. The rest just sounded like jibber jabber to me. I think of ego as the desire to be separate and to compare ourselves with others. Given that the point of having a body and a physical existence is to experience separateness, it seems counter-productive to me to do away with ego. I choose to accept it as a part of my existence. I'm a strong believer in paradox, so I am one with the All, but I am also separate. I think the starting point is awareness. There is no identity, no label only that which is aware. Specifically there is that which is aware that it is aware. In my opinion you can't reduce it any farther than that. I suppose Ego is that part of awareness that refers to itself, thus creating the initial separation from everything that is not itself.

It is a necessary part of the evolution of the cosmic consciousness.

As for the 4 functions of the mind, I have never even heard of that. I suppose it depends on what you are referring to when you say 'mind'. I typically use the word mind to refer to the physical brain. In that instance I would say the purpose of the mind is to a) keep the body functioning, and b) act as interpreter for the spirit, although a could be considered an extension of b.

Swami Chihuahuananda
16-02-2012, 09:59 AM
That video made no sense....well ok maybe just a little. The part about not destroying the ego is good. The rest just sounded like jibber jabber to me. I think of ego as the desire to be separate and to compare ourselves with others. Given that the point of having a body and a physical existence is to experience separateness, it seems counter-productive to me to do away with ego. I choose to accept it as a part of my existence. I'm a strong believer in paradox, so I am one with the All, but I am also separate. I think the starting point is awareness. There is no identity, no label only that which is aware. Specifically there is that which is aware that it is aware. In my opinion you can't reduce it any farther than that. I suppose Ego is that part of awareness that refers to itself, thus creating the initial separation from everything that is not itself.

It is a necessary part of the evolution of the cosmic consciousness.

As for the 4 functions of the mind, I have never even heard of that. I suppose it depends on what you are referring to when you say 'mind'. I typically use the word mind to refer to the physical brain. In that instance I would say the purpose of the mind is to a) keep the body functioning, and b) act as interpreter for the spirit, although a could be considered an extension of b.

First, there's an economy of language , a way of saying a lot with not so many words , you have, that I appreciate. I wouldn't call it simplicity , necessarily, but maybe more like directness.

Just contemplating briefly now, it seems to me to a fairly large degree like the 'size' of one's ego is tied to how much it identifies itself as being that separate self, which corresponds to how much we identify our self as being the physical manifestations of our overall selves . In other words, the more we think we are just the body and mind living in a physical world (4d spacetime continuum ) , the more ego we have , as far as that perception of being the separate self takes up the biggest % of our perception of self.

As we become lighter and more expanded, the percentages shift towards
less perception of separateness and more awareness of oneness ; the small self takes up less room in our sense of self , and ego simply becomes less prevalent, less obtrusive , less influential .

To me, like with so many other aspects of this 'spiritual development' , as I go , as my awareness itself becomes more prevalent in comparison to the old illusions and self -perceptions , it's like ...well, as we further access the sense of oneness with the all , like you say , the ego and small self don't disappear; they're not rubbed out; they just play a smaller role . They still exist , but they exist within the much larger context of all beingness. We call that wholeness , acceptance of all aspects of being . There's no more battle between 'good and evil' ; we focus more on our higher aspects , etc. (redundancy alert , simplicity mode override, end post)

DS

DS

Mountain-Goat
16-02-2012, 10:37 AM

I don't see any paradox.
The starting point that is aware of self, is a self.
Don't see the logic in thinking there is no self.
Especially when it's a self that says, "there is no self"

Farbication is self accumilating data, understanding of oneself via awareness.

I see no difference in the fabrication of either an individual egoic\bodymind+spirit type self and the current trend of "i am" or I am god" or "I am oneness"
They are both fabrications derived from awareness, observation, evaluation, conclusion from self's experiences.

Mr Interesting
16-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Sorry, but I'm still too lazy to connect speakers to my 'puter so I can't hear vids but I'm quite interested in the concept of ego as not enemy.

I see myself as a builder even when people say artist I'm like nope, I'm a builder, I construct things. It's a bunch of skills I came here with, as in into life, and so it's what I'm programmed to do. I've even had dreams where I got rocks and plants to form into buildings and other where I've seen building I've built with light.

It's both me and not me. I kinda watch the me in the world having all these skills and abilities and enjoy the stuff that comes out but I'm also just along for the ride.

People ask me what I do, if they don't know yet, and my default these days is "whatever I like"
So to me the ego's just a toolbelt. It put's me out into the world as a default to learn my lessons. my soul's loadstone, but it's not me while is very much the perception of me or that through which I am percieved.

Kali
14-03-2012, 06:09 PM
alright, ive been studying more ok, 2 meanings to the word ego, the fabricated ego's that we create, objectifying ourselfs into all kinds of false selves. everlook at your self in the mirror or see a vid or a picture of yourself or see yourself from anothers perspective and say thats not me. we are all faking we are all a product of society no matter how hard we try we cant concur that but we should find a middle way by observing this misidentification of objectifying our self. pretty much whenever you see yourself as 3rd person you are doing it, the key is to never even try to see your self as a self because you CANT see yourself from a 3rd person perspective mainly because you are still you, still the subject, how can you see a separate self when the self is really a subject not an object.

Joshua_G
14-03-2012, 07:15 PM
AFAIK, there is only one meaning to the word ego: ego is the sense of "I", the sense of individual identity, individual existence.

The talks about the necessity to eradicate the ego are coming from the perspective of Self Realization. Eradicating the ego is relevant only to those who genuinely and actively aspire to attain Self Realization.

Self Realization cannot be understood by the mind, it can only be realized experientially. The same goes for the notions of object versus subject.

xebiche
14-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Kali -

You think tooooo much.
If you want to know more about Ego, you must become a listener.
Rather an observer.

Once you are know the sounds and cycles of your mind,
then you can begin to dissect the Ego.
Quiet it down a bit.
Liberate yourself from your own noise.

But a good starting definition is:
Ego is your intellectual fabric.
Ego is NOT our Enemy, (fear is IMO).
Ego is the noise we make in our minds.
Ego is a repeater.
This is why we all get "stuck" in loop paterns.

Xan
15-03-2012, 12:42 AM
This is why we all get "stuck" in loop paterns.

In fact, the stuckness is the fixed sense of self-identity... my definition of ego.

The true self, which the video lady also calls ego, is not fixed but expansive, inclusive and responsive.

It's the holding on and resisting of ego-mind that keeps us trapped in a very limited view of reality.

Learning to let go all the time frees us from that.

Xan

xebiche
15-03-2012, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=Xan]This is why we all get "stuck" in loop paterns.

[COLOR=Navy]In fact, the stuckness is the fixed sense of self-identity... my definition of ego.

The true self, which the video lady also calls ego, is not fixed but expansive, inclusive and responsive.

It's the holding on and resisting of ego-mind that keeps us trapped in a very limited view of reality.

I feel a good definition for "letting go" is:

To surrender ones position.

I feel a good definition for surrender is:

To stop fighting with oneself.

Xan
15-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Yes... letting go and surrender are about giving up the repeating mind patterns and letting inner being awareness take over.

Xan

Perfect Storm
15-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I am mid watching some of your videos now Kali.

I must say, the difference between the Awoken and Ego videos, the difference in you is amazing!

In the Ego you are so, centred, calm and speak so much more confidently!

I have ordered that film on Lovefilm to watch! I didnt know ther were such films out there! Really peeked my interest!

Kali
18-03-2012, 05:39 AM
She brings to my mind we are perfect just the way we are..when we get out of our "own way"...and get into the way of "just being"
yes exactly people do over complicate things this is why the ancient yoga meditation of the Himalayan sages speaks of the two egos (ahamkara) in their practice of the 4 functions.

xan the video lady is actually yours truly heh
XanThis is why we all get "stuck" in loop paterns.

In fact, the stuckness is the fixed sense of self-identity... my definition of ego.

Xan so the sages call this the same thing that they call ego because it is the same function, just one side is twisted and the other is functioning normal, if we had no ego we wouldnt be able to survive because we wouldnt have any sense of self at all, would be a vegetable i imagine. so the same function then becomes what clouds our sense of judgement making us egotistical or egocentric or something like one of those words that id use to describe what you refer to as ego xan. same goes for memories (chitta) that function is necessary for me to recognize where i work or what time to be there but it gets all sticky for instance when we remember something that hurt us then we react to things different because a memory for instance i was bitten by a dog when i was younger and now im scared of even a lil puppy. the memories and ego become deluded and color our higher mind that is already enlightened

xeb yes i do think way too much and im tryin to stop :/

haha thanks so much! athy yeah i have ADD so some days im way more grounded than others. what the bleep is just amazing, its not easy to follow the first time watching.

sorry i took so long to reply lol <3 thanks for reading

Kali
18-03-2012, 06:10 PM
oh yeah i posted a new vid about the four functions of the mind for any one interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQ49DJccV8