PDA

View Full Version : Is Thought more powerful than action?

Shabby
14-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I followed a link yesterday that someone posted here on the forum. It went to a Guru but I can't remember his name right now. I was struck to read that he said thoughts are more powerful than actions...that is why so many Gurus go into caves instead of the world (not his exact words)

I might be confusing words with thoughts (Actions are stronger than words), but aren't actions more powerful than words or thoughts?

Saggi
14-02-2012, 02:18 PM
To share a knowing smile with a loved one, that shows the thoughts you share are the same,,,,

Which is more powerful?

The act of smiling or the knowledge that you're thinking the same thing?

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

Swami Chihuahuananda
14-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I followed a link yesterday that someone posted here on the forum. It went to a Guru but I can't remember his name right now. I was struck to read that he said thoughts are more powerful than actions...that is why so many Gurus go into caves instead of the world (not his exact words)

I might be confusing words with thoughts (Actions are stronger than words), but aren't actions more powerful than words or thoughts?

I'm goona suggest that the force of intention , acting through thought, has more effect on the universe's reciprocal responses than a physical action, generally speaking . :D

Xan
14-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Which is more powerful can be seen by the effects.

If you're talking about the outer world of people who mostly notice your actions, that's one thing.

If you're talking about your personal inner world, your thoughts outweigh your actions by a long shot...
including your thoughts about your actions, and your feelings about all that.

Xan

silent whisper
14-02-2012, 10:25 PM

If I have a thought that a friend is in need of my assistance...and then I take action to connect and help her out...which one is the more powerful? Is it the two combined with the underlying intention that it requires more than just thinking about her....In taking action I give, she receives...In just thinking I am just thinking about it....

blackraven
15-02-2012, 01:17 AM

Shabby - Possibly, because action is thought in motion, but without motion of thought many well-intended actions lie dormant and useless in helping your fellow man.

Blackraven

rsingh
15-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Hi Shabby

We as egos, live in our world of thoughts. Some thoughts turn into actions and some not. Thoughts that turn into actions are menifestation. Actions can be stopped and are more in our control. But we cannot stop our thougts. Thoughts are not under our control very much. We can divert our attentions from one area to another and so we may choose what we want to think but we cannot stop our thoughts. So thoughts are stronger than actions if we are speaking in terms of our spiritual development.

Xan
15-02-2012, 02:00 AM
What is more powerful than thoughts or actions is where our consciousness lies at any moment, as that creates our reality.

Xan

athribiristan
15-02-2012, 04:50 AM

Thoughts are more powerful...actions are more obvious. All action begins as thought. Thought is the cause, action the effect. The cause is always more powerful than the effect.

Shabby
15-02-2012, 04:55 AM
I'm thinking that my actions are limited to those that are directly effected by it but my thoughts have unlimited potential.

If a guru that sits in his cave and focuses on world peace is he not more productive then the one who is stopping a fight between two people?

Silver
15-02-2012, 05:13 AM
I'm thinking that my actions are limited to those that are directly effected by it but my thoughts have unlimited potential.

If a guru that sits in his cave and focuses on world peace is he not more productive then the one who is stopping a fight between two people?

I think your first sentence is definitely quotable. I like.

I definitely think the guru is more productive, because I think everyone knows what can happen if someone tries to stop a fight between two people ~ just a much bigger mess.

CatChild
15-02-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm goona suggest that the force of intention , acting through thought, has more effect on the universe's reciprocal responses than a physical action, generally speaking . :D

My thoughts exactly.

Intention = manifestation. Choice.

Shabby
15-02-2012, 05:29 AM
I think your first sentence is definitely quotable. I like.

I definitely think the guru is more productive, because I think everyone knows what can happen if someone tries to stop a fight between two people ~ just a much bigger mess.

Right? LOL

Mr Interesting
15-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Actually I think it depends on what you want to achieve.

One may come out on top if you get the right way of measuring their differences but all the power in the world's useless if it ain't the right tool for the job.

But one way of figuring out the answer might be to see which one can survive without the other.

And basically action can exist without thought but thought needs action to survive.

Though, I'm really not inclined to see them as separate entities which could come together in battle to define a winner.

And in this corner stands thought... heavyweight contender for the soft tissues!

Bluegreen
15-02-2012, 02:31 PM

My question would be whether you can have action without thought. (I am not referring to the actions of the autonomic nervous system.)
In my opinion there can be no action unless it is preceded by thought in which case thought directs action and therefore is more powerful.

It is also more powerful because thoughts manipulate energy, the quantum soup. Thoughts create.

Shabby
15-02-2012, 02:46 PM
My question would be whether you can have action without thought. (I am not referring to the actions of the autonomic nervous system.)
In my opinion there can be no action unless it is preceded by thought in which case thought directs action and therefore is more powerful.

It is also more powerful because thoughts manipulate energy, the quantum soup. Thoughts create.

Yes Bluegreen I agree....and is not thinking, meditating, praying not also an action? What if we take no thought...is that too an action or the absence of total action? Is that still considered meditation? Does it require for the body to be still too?

Bluegreen
15-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes Bluegreen I agree....and is not thinking, meditating, praying not also an action? What if we take no thought...is that too an action or the absence of total action? Is that still considered meditation? Does it require for the body to be still too?

Meditating and praying could be called mental actions I suppose.
If you take no thought, you simply do not worry.

I have read that to meditate you have to still the mind.
I have also read that you meditate on an ideal for example (Cayce).
I have also been told that breathing is meditating.

Perhaps it is easier to meditate when the body is still but I think that one can also meditate doing the household chores, for example. But I am no expert.

Squatchit
15-02-2012, 03:24 PM
My Dad was a driving instructor. He taught me to drive. One question I remember him asking me is which gear is the most powerful. This was lesson 1 or 2 - early days. I assumed, quite wrongly of course, that fourth gear would be the most powerful seeing as it's the one that you can go fastest in.

I was surprised to discover that the most powerful gear was first gear. When he explained why, it became clear and made sense.

If actions are the gears, then thought is maybe the ignition.....? Without thought, actions wouldn't happen. Thought is needed to drive action....possibly.

Sorry if I've lumbered in with my thoughts in the middle of a convo.

:iroc: vroom vroom

Silver
15-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Good example, Squatch. Yeah, 1st has the torque needed to vroom vroom, rofl

Xan
15-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Why compare? The two very different approaches are both right action in the moment.

Xan

Shabby
15-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Why compare? The two very different approaches are both right action in the moment.

Xan

True, true...Xan.

BlueSky
15-02-2012, 06:19 PM
The bible eludes to a truth that what one does, or the words that come out of your mouth...............come from the heart.

I would add that what one thinks with intent can also come from the heart but in the bible it also says murder can come from the heart. Interesting as I don't usually associate something like murder coming from the heart but yes, it most certainly does.

So coming from the heart seems to be key in what we do or think.........

Sorry if I went off thread.........not sure if I did or not...lol

Blessings, James

Shabby
15-02-2012, 06:29 PM
The bible eludes to a truth that what one does, or the words that come out of your mouth...............come from the heart.

I would add that what one thinks with intent can also come from the heart but in the bible it also says murder can come from the heart. Interesting as I don't usually associate something like murder coming from the heart but yes, it most certainly does.

Sorry if I went off thread.........not sure if I did or not...lol

Blessings, James

Don't worry James...you have forgiven me so many times for going off thread that you still have some good with me : )

BlueSky
15-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Don't worry James...you have forgiven me so many times for going off thread that you still have some good with me : )

lol...thanks..:smile:

Xan
15-02-2012, 06:33 PM

I guess this depends on what is meant by 'heart'.
Many people mean emotion, such as maybe that Bible translator.
What I mean by the word is the inner / spiritual heart.

Xan

BlueSky
15-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I guess this depends on what is meant by 'heart'.
Many people mean emotion, such as maybe that Bible translator.
What I mean by the word is the inner / spiritual heart.

Xan

Not so sure about that one.
I think all actions come from what would appear to the one acting out as coming from their inner self or heart or true self.

What is a spiritual heart?

Xan
16-02-2012, 03:05 AM
The spiritual heart is the deeper one, without emotions of the mind but with subtle delicious feelings of spirit such as love for no reason.

Xan