PDA

View Full Version : Wiccan/Pagan colleges and degrees?

Solitary Faery
14-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Hiya!

I was just wondering what you guys think about these online Wiccan colleges that give out "diplomas" at the end. I was particularly looking at Z Budapest's Dianic University... Are these things just a scam? Does having a degree from one of these places actually prove to others that you're educated in your path? Also, second question... Does anyone know of any really active live Wiccan/Pagan chat rooms online?

Thanks again and as always,

Occultist
14-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Wicca College sounds odd ,. Do Christian's need a diploma to prove there Christian? Just study read read study.
Always be open to others opinions and meditate for guidance.
You actually asking if there fishy is telling me to listen to your gut and what its telling you. If your on the Wiccan Path ask the Goddess for enlightenment on your journey. I am a Witch and I am sorry I do not have a Diploma to prove it but that doesnt make me any less of one. LOL.

Solitary Faery
14-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Yeah, that's EXACTLY how I was thinking/feeling. Thanks for giving me some validity :)

Quintessence
14-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Calling them a "scam" is harsh, at least for some of them. There are Neopagan seminaries, the most reputed and well-known one probably being Cherry Hill; it is most certainly not a scam. Some other programs are decent training and learning resources, but personally, I think approaching religion like it's school is going about it completely the wrong way. I often see some Neopagans fixate on questions like "so how many years have you been studying/practicing?" and get obsessed about the amount of knowledge and/or qualifications someone has. I can see this being relevant if you are going to serve as community clergy - gods know I want my clergy to have formal education in things like comparative religion and theology - but requiring this from general practitioners is misplaced. This isn't academia, it's a religion... in many cases a highly personal religious path.

When I first saw the thread title, I confess I thought you were talking about something entirely different. I thought you were going to ask where you could study Neopaganism at a college/university. You know, accredited and recognized ones. There are places you can do that; mostly under departments of religion, anthropology, and the like. You have to find the professors that study it, go to school there, and make friends with them. :D