PDA

View Full Version : Norse Magick

Flowers1992
07-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I have become very interested in the northmen and their pantheon due to reading the Poetic Edda.
I was wondering does anyone have any recommendations for books about the norse or their magick.

Blessed be xxxxx

Quagmire
07-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Any chance you understand Danish?

Arawn
08-02-2012, 12:06 AM
"Elves, Wights, and Trolls" by Kveldulf Gundarsson (http://www.amazon.com/Elves-Wights-Trolls-Practice-Heathenry/dp/0595421652) is a decent book out there. There aren't many good books out there other than the Poetic Edda and Prose Edda, at least not from I'm being told from my fiancé (he's a Heathen).

He says you should look up Spell Singing or seiðr and possibly look into Odin since it's pretty much his domain.

Of course, learning Norse or Norse-based languages and looking into their books might also help out, but those languages are very tricky and not the easiest to learn.

Animus27
08-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I have become very interested in the northmen and their pantheon due to reading the Poetic Edda.
I was wondering does anyone have any recommendations for books about the norse or their magick.

Blessed be xxxxx
Do you want recommendations for heathen religion, or specifically 'magick'?

Flowers1992
08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
No I only speak English lol.

Cool I will have a poke on amazon.

I am looking for information for sorta both, umm pretty much anything I can get my hands on :)

Quagmire
08-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Okey then I do not think I have anything. In dansih we have a book called "Erik Menneskesøn" (Eric Manson or Eric Son of Man) by Lars-Henrik Olsen. I have tried to search if there is an English version but have not found it. Maybe you have better luck. Eric is an ordinary boy of today. He is picked up by Thor to Asgard and must travel through Hel and Jotunheim to rescue Idun from the giants.

If you choose to learn a Norse based language the danish, swedish and norwegian are almost similar. They are also Germanic languages like English so it should be easier to learn than a non-Germanic language. Not saying it is easy. I can still get confused if swedes or norwegians speak too fast :tongue: I say that Norwegian is a prettier way to speak danish and swedish just comes someplace in the middle. Lately I have thought that all three countries would benefit of smashing the languages together to one scandivanian language (sorry for rambling :tongue: ).

WhiteWarrior
08-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Standard Norwegian language, bokmaal, is based on Danish since Denmark was the stronger partner in the Danish-Norwegian Union from the 16th century to 1814, when we were seceded to Sweden after the end of the Napolonic wars. By then we had a strong local bureaucracy and the Swedes didn't even try to rule us the way the Danish had, so from then on we could develop our language further on our own.

Regarding norse magick, I am mostly aware of 'blot', sacrificial ceremonies of which xmas is probably best known ;) We also have our norse gods of course.

Occultist
08-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Norseman here on our site would have the best insight I will drop him a line and tell him someone wants more info on his way of life.

Animus27
08-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I am looking for information for sorta both, umm pretty much anything I can get my hands on :)
For a general overview over some ideas in Heathenry/Asatru:

http://www.asatru-u.org/

http://www.friggasweb.org/

Reading lists:

http://www.axenthof.org/reading.html

http://www.erichshall.com/asanew/bblist.htm

Online texts:

http://heathengods.com/temple/modules/library/

http://www.northvegr.org/

The above links will give you a general feel for the beliefs of many Heathens and help you orient yourself some.

I personally recommend Gods and Myths of Northern Europe (http://www.amazon.com/Myths-Northern-Europe-Ellis-Davidson/dp/0140136274) for a general overview of many Germanic gods. But, one must keep in mind that the book is over 40 years old, and some of her scholarship has been shown to be off the mark in some areas. Even so, it's an enjoyable read and confers some knowledge.

Another book I particularly like is the Norse Myths (http://www.amazon.com/Norse-Myths-Pantheon-Folklore-Library/dp/0394748468/ref=pd_vtp_b_1); while Crossley-Holland takes some liberty in adding details and dialogue to the myths, it's a fun read that gives you a feel for the surviving mythological stories.

Now for some resources on magical practices - of a scholarly nature, save the how-to's and the manuals of magic[k] until you actually know some facts about what we really know of Germanic heathen magic.

An essay on healing hands and magical incantations in Eddic poetry: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/medieval/saga/pdf/356-nasstrom.pdf

An essay on the idea of witches gathering and the transvection of the Middle Ages and whether it has roots in pre-Christian belief: http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~alvismal/7sabbat.pdf

An essay upon magic represented in the Sagaic literature: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/medieval/saga/pdf/335-mitchell.pdf

Finally a good piece on seiðr: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/seidhr.shtml (this site in general has lots of good reading from a historical perspective)

One thing to keep in mind is to never believe any second-hand source without further study. One sad fact about many pagan religions is that they tend to be misrepresented or based on bad facts when it comes to modern, non-scholarly publications. I'd advise you of staying clear of any "Asatru 101" or "Viking Magick!" books. At least for now. They tend to be not worth the paper they're printed on.

A final note is to remember that the surviving Eddic poetry and sagaic literature that mention gods or religious practices are nearly all written anywhere from 150 to 250 years after the conversions. Thus, they can never be taken at face value, or seen as purely word for word accounts of genuine Germanic myths or rituals. So, when reading the Eddas and Sagas, keep that in mind.

*deep breath* this is probably an overload for you. But hopefully you find some information that furthers your understanding of Germanic Heathenry.

Good luck :D

Quagmire
08-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Also keep in mind that some of the norse mythology is been written down by christian monks/scholars when they arrived in the north, so who knows how much they have changed to their own favor?

Animus27
08-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Also keep in mind that some of the norse mythology is been written down by christian monks/scholars when they arrived in the north, so who knows how much they have changed to their own favor?
Yes, that's a really big thing to remember. The Prose Edda was written down some 200 years after the conversion of Iceland, and many scholars now think that most of the details provided by Snorri Sturluson are merely poetic invention based off of his Classical education and Christian beliefs. The same is true of many older eddic poems that are in the Codex Regius.

Quagmire
08-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Here is a suspicious story (if I remember it right): Baldur the most beloved son of Odin dies (by an arrow made out of the same kind of tree as the cross which Crist was put on).

Animus27
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Here is a suspicious story (if I remember it right): Baldur the most beloved son of Odin dies (by an arrow made out of the same kind of tree as the cross which Crist was put on).
Yup. The poems and stories about Baldr (outside of Saxo Grammaticus) sound suspiciously like the poets were linking Baldr with the figure of Christ. Especially the whole end of the Völuspá where Baldr returns to rule over the world after Ragnarök and there's no discord or hardship.

Quagmire
09-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Especially the whole end of the Völuspá where Baldr returns to rule over the world after Ragnarök and there's no discord or hardship.

Yes. Isn't there something about the humans after Ragnarok have names similar to Adam and Eve? I kind of get the idea that Ragnarok is created by these monks/scholars and might not have been part of what the Vikings believed in.

Flowers1992
15-02-2012, 04:29 PM
damn, quest for knowledge is a bumpy road :/ and christians dont like to make it easy heh.

Thanks for all the info though :) the overload helps, as much as possible really :)

WhiteWarrior
12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Does anyone of you guys work with the norse deities?

Wickerman
13-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Sure, as far as honoring them. But remember that worship, and spell work are two different things. especially in Asatru. Worship is the providence of any who believe, while spell work is a special calling. I do not know any Asatru other than myself who practices any kind of spell craft, though I know many who honor the Gods.

WhiteWarrior
13-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Sure, as far as honoring them. But remember that worship, and spell work are two different things. especially in Asatru. Worship is the providence of any who believe, while spell work is a special calling. I do not know any Asatru other than myself who practices any kind of spell craft, though I know many who honor the Gods.

That sounds interesting. What kind of spells are we talking about?

Luke Ironside
13-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Living Asatru by Greg Shetler is a great introduction to the Norse religion of Asatru. The book Our Troth is also very informative in regards to the gods/goddesses and history of Norse religious practices.

WhiteWarrior
13-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Thank you for the book tips. It's tragic if I need to go to English sources for this stuff but I'll look them up.

Quagmire
13-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Yes, I am pretty much connected with the Norse Deities, so it would not be wrong to say that I work with them.

WhiteWarrior
13-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes, I am pretty much connected with the Norse Deities, so it would not be wrong to say that I work with them.
What do you actually DO?

Quagmire
13-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Let us start in a place that is not what I do but who they are. So far as I know the Deities of the “European” Mythologies are the same Deities just different names, with Greek Mythology being one of the earlier descriptions and Norse Mythology being one of the younger descriptions of the same Deities. Also it is likely that some Deities only is mentioned in some of the Mythologies and not in all of them. The tricky part is knowing who is who.

For some while now my main Spirit Guide has not made any effort to hide that one of her names is Athena and unless I misunderstand her she is Sif in Norse Mythology. So as far as working with these Deities you can say that “I work” with them might more be the term that they work with me ;) After I have awakened to my true self Odin have shown himself to me as Zeus and here the last week I have had the honor of having Idun present.

WhiteWarrior
13-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Hm.... I am trying to get a word with Odin and Eir myself; my spiritual activities are largely within their domain. You are saying that your main spirit guide is in fact one of the western world's major deities?

Quagmire
13-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes that is what I say.

Have you had any luck in your contact with them in any way? A suggestion would be to search yourself for who of them you feel most connected with and start with focusing your energy there. After you have made contact with the first one, you can always make contact with the other... and slowly create a bond with those of the Deities you find yourself drawn to.

WhiteWarrior
13-04-2012, 01:38 PM
The closest I have gotten to them as yet is a short conversation with someone's spirit guide who had been sent on a commission from Asgard by Freiya. This was basically the incidence that returned my faith in a norse pantheon after some negative experiences with posers a year ago.

My first birthname means Thor's Spear. But Odin is the obvious first norse god for me since he is the god of warriors, rage, and seid/magic - three things that mean a lot to me. Eir is my second; she is more obscure but the goddess of healing and that is the focus of much of my spiritual work. If Sif is the same as Mother Earth, something I want confirmed from her own channeled mouth if that is the case, then I am already working for her daily.

I can't channel. Or speak directly with spirits at all. I can barely get a word from my spirit guide. And all my meditation has proved fruitless so far. But indirectly, through mediums, I speak with spirits almost daily.

Quagmire
13-04-2012, 01:57 PM
That is amazing and you should just keep talking to them, even if you feel you cannot receive their response. They are truly amazing beings.

I am curious, how did you come to the link between Sif and Mother Earth that should make them the same?

Have you asked your spirit guide how to further develop your abilities to receive messages from spirits. For me it is just a natural thing in my every day. I do not spend time meditating and so... I just speak with my guides (in my head) as I would anyone else. Though if I am alone in a room I will get no response :wink:

WhiteWarrior
13-04-2012, 02:09 PM
I have not asked for mediumistic skills; I do not think that is my fated path.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sif
"In Norse mythology, Sif is a goddess associated with earth"
But basically it is just my unfounded assumption for now. One I plan to look into later as chance allows though. I should add that I already have talked with Mother earth, with channeled help.

Quagmire
13-04-2012, 02:18 PM
But you do seem to have the skills hidden in you somewhere.

Yes, I do remember you talking to Mother Earth :wink: and do hope you will have fun speaking with Sif (and the other Deities).

WhiteWarrior
13-04-2012, 02:22 PM
But you do seem to have the skills hidden in you somewhere.

What makes you think this? All my spirit conversations happens through mediums. I don't do anything that most others are incapable of in this area.

Quagmire
13-04-2012, 02:34 PM
What makes you think this?

I go with what I sense (have in mind that I can be wrong). But I do sense you as being quite talented in the spiritual area. So maybe it is just finding out how you best receive messages from your Spirit Guide. My biggest talent is emotions and it is through emotions I receive most of my messages. Lately I have added/rediscovered my ability to receive messages in images. So maybe there lies something in your main skill that also have the ability to receive messages in a way that you are familiar with. And also; I have noticed that I was quite capable of receiving messages from my guides years before I actually realized it myself.

WhiteWarrior
13-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I go with what I sense (have in mind that I can be wrong). But I do sense you as being quite talented in the spiritual area. So maybe it is just finding out how you best receive messages from your Spirit Guide. My biggest talent is emotions and it is through emotions I receive most of my messages. Lately I have added/rediscovered my ability to receive messages in images. So maybe there lies something in your main skill that also have the ability to receive messages in a way that you are familiar with. And also; I have noticed that I was quite capable of receiving messages from my guides years before I actually realized it myself.
Emotions are a problem; not only am I not an empath but I am an Asperger case. But there are other things one can receive. I will ponder this. Thank you.

Wickerman
14-04-2012, 01:57 AM
That sounds interesting. What kind of spells are we talking about?
Mostly protection, and blessings, with some guidance divination. Since I know no practicing Asatru, I have to rely on my previous training for spell work. The coven in which I was initiated was Gardnerian, with a heavy Egyptian influence. Like most Wiccan groups they focused very heavily on the Goddess. Right or wrong, it just wasn't for me, after years of trying to make it fit, I gave up. Much later I discovered Asatru, the pantheon was an instant fit.
I think that you will find the Norse Gods to be less involved in your life than other pantheons. It is rare that they respond at all to an individual. The Gods are concerned with protecting and nurturing the tree, not the individual leaves. I have only received one direct boon, and have actually only ever asked for one. A gas exploration company was planning to level eight acres of our neighbors land, something that he was fine with since they were paying him for it. They wanted to build a road through my field, that zig-zaged right through the middle, ruining about 20 acres of the 90 that I own and cutting off another 10 or 15 acres. I, of course, said no, so they sought another solution. When we purchased the property, we bought a part of a larger farm. When everything was said and done, there was a 1/10 acre plot that lay on the backside of my property that still belonged to the original land owner. What the gas company did was purchase the original land owners easement (an easement means that I have to give the land owner access through my property to get to his). With that piece of paper in their hand they bought in a survey crew and stated driving stakes. Not only could I not say no, I would not be compensated either. Like in most things, magic is my last recourse, I feel that the Gods respect those who take care of themselves. With no legal recourse or physical recourse, I stood under my sacred Oak and asked Odin for help. A month later, the stakes were still there, but no dozers had shown up. A few weeks later a crew showed up and pulled the stakes. The road went in, but it went in from the back side from a county road and never touched my property. I had no further contact with the company, so I have no Idea what changed their minds, or do I?

Quagmire
14-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I think that you will find the Norse Gods to be less involved in your life than other pantheons. It is rare that they respond at all to an individual.

What other pantheons do you compare with?

But yes I do agree that the Gods are concerned with protecting and nurturing the tree/Earth. So in that I think they will aid all that they can, if asked. But in general I do not think that they have anything against convesating, though I do think that people should take their everyday problems to their spirit guides. Great stroy by the way and if your intuition tells you that Odin had a hand in it, you are probably right :wink:

Wickerman
14-04-2012, 02:29 PM
What other pantheons do you compare with?

The Wiccan group believed that the deities they worshiped had a direct hand in their lives. I also know some Native groups that see their gods everyday. For the most part the Goddess is seen as ever present, and active in her followers lives. The Norse gods are a little more standoffish.