PDA

View Full Version : Journal vs Book of Shadows

johnatre
30-01-2012, 01:00 AM
So, I am not new to this, well I sort of am, I've been studying it for about a year. So, to most of you I am new, but i feel like I have a lot of knowledge on it. Not a lot of experience and not near enough knowledge as I want(: Because i want to know everything, but probably never will. Anyways, on to the point. I keep a personal journal about my day and all that great stuff! I do not have a book of a shadows, but i often find myself writing about magic and all that great stuff! but basically my journal is a huge unorganized mixture of my personal and spiritual life. I tried to separate this, I tried to keep a strictly personal and a strictly spiritual, but i just couldnt. I felt a whole lot better keeping it all random, but when i go to find something I cant because there is no order. its so frustrating! But i love it! So can you please comment and tell me what you think I should do?

johnatre
30-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Oh, yeah. I keep this in a composition book, so i cant really open it and move it around like i would be able to with a three ring binder. I do this because it easier to hide it and i just like those.

norseman
30-01-2012, 07:38 AM
It's really up to you what you keep and how to organise it. As long as it makes sense and as long as you can find what you need, who can say what's is "best".
Since I am "old school" Craft, I don't have a BoS, just a "grimoire" of sorts, mostly photos which trigger memories and physical things that remind me of where I was and what I was doing at the time - things like pebbles, feathers, etc - small items I pick up on my wanders. I dont have rituals or spells, I just make them up on the spot when needed.

Don't get hooked on the wicca silliness that says you must do this or you must have that ! :smile:

LadyMoondancer
30-01-2012, 01:36 PM
It's really up to you what you keep and how to organise it. As long as it makes sense and as long as you can find what you need, who can say what's is "best".
Since I am "old school" Craft, I don't have a BoS, just a "grimoire" of sorts, mostly photos which trigger memories and physical things that remind me of where I was and what I was doing at the time - things like pebbles, feathers, etc - small items I pick up on my wanders. I dont have rituals or spells, I just make them up on the spot when needed.

Don't get hooked on the wicca silliness that says you must do this or you must have that ! :smile:

Right Norsey!

I have always bristled when somebody tells me that I must do somthing this way or that way. When I am learning, yes, I will do what is told me. Once I learn a thing, if I find a way that my heart tells me is MY way to do it, that is what I will do. If I have achieved the same end result - then what's the problem?
As to a Book of Shadows: I actually have a large BoS - I have it split in two places - the main one is a file on my portable external hard drive - organized into separate files/topics. The other one is on the hard drive of my netbook/computer - my "working" BoS. I do have a three-ring binder which holds notes and printouts - things that need to be entered into my permanent BoS.
If you need to keep your BoS from prying eyes, put it on an encrypted flashdrive. In the future, when you have your own apartment, or or in the position where you can do as you please, by all means: do as you please.

EbonyDoe
30-01-2012, 02:36 PM
If you need to keep your BoS from prying eyes, put it on an encrypted flashdrive. In the future, when you have your own apartment, or or in the position where you can do as you please, by all means: do as you please.

Of course there's nothing wrong with keeping it on the flash drive permanently. I keep all of my magickal text on a flash drive because it's easier to keep organized and easier to read (my hand writing is pure chicken scratch lol) plus I can use pretty fonts and images as desired.

LadyMoondancer
30-01-2012, 06:41 PM
... I can use pretty fonts and images as desired.

lol - that too!

johnatre
01-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Omg that's a FABULOUS idea! Yay! You all remind me of charmingpixieflora with all this what rings true to you stuff.

Tanith
09-02-2012, 12:21 AM
I actually just got a small three-ring yesterday; I set it up with all sorts of tabs and everything to keep my stuff organized! I feel so good about it, but also keep it backed up on my harddrive. I just want to have something physical that any descendants can totally pull out of a dusty attic after I'm dead XD

A BoS or Grimoire is the physical essence of what Wicca seems to stand for: Whatever works for you, works for you!! You don't have to have a prettily made three-ring for your BoS. If organization isn't an issue, composition books and other pre-bounds work well enough. For me, I get distracted trying to look stuff up, and would end up never getting to my destination, so I had to go the binder route :3

Heck, one could go so far as to say their BoS is a small wooden box that keeps all their pictures and stuff, from wanderings and such, just as Norse said :D

Blooms Bright
09-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Hi there, it sounds like your received some great advice. Of course I happen to agree with the others...LOL...
I do keep a BOS of sorts, while I do write down my spells and blessings I also include photos of my gardens with poetry, water colors I create, tarot card spreads and interpretations,and items such as crystals and pressed leaves. Basically anything that resonates with me that day.
So I understand combining the two and how it could be cumbersome. As I have been using this format for years I have implemented a color coded ribbon book mark. If I happen to jot down a chant then a lavender ribbon is placed at that entry, if it is a tarot spread then an orange ribbon, watercolor art then a lime ribbon, and so on....
It might not be as practical but can't help smiling when I look at my book and see all those lovely colored ribbons dangling out of the bottom of my beautiful book.
We are all unique and individual in our ways~ our BOS should be too!

Happy organizing : )

~as always, Bright Blessings

EbonyDoe
09-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Your BoS sounds very colorful Blooms =D

One day I hope to make a nice physical book with wooden covers and the ability to expand as needed with a nice ribbon marker, but that's lifetimes away lol

Occultist
09-02-2012, 06:19 PM

I agree and have a Grimiore as well. I am a potion maker so there are hundreds of magical plants written down even pressed into my book and ingredients for just about any type of spell. Also yes a Cackle as I stir my cauldron LOL.

norseman
09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
@ Occultist "a Cackle as I stir my cauldron"
:D I do that when I make a curry :hug:

Lostgirl
10-02-2012, 07:14 AM
@ Occultist "a Cackle as I stir my cauldron"
:D I do that when I make a curry :hug:

You two do make me chuckle.......maybe cackle is more appropriate. :D :D