PDA

View Full Version : Healthy eating and the DASH Diet

Mayflow
21-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension = DASH.

I'm almost ridiculously healthy. Haven't been sick a day for many years, but I have always had a bit of hypertension. Blood pressure usually around 140/90.

Lately I see it went up to 150/100. I researched a bit and found the DASH Diet, and I think I get the essentials of it. It is almost easy. Reduce sodium and increase Potassium and Calcium and Magnesium.

I've made a soup (or maybe it's a stew) and my pressures dropped 10/7 points in 3 days so far!

It is a return to the natural. Most veggies are high potassium and low sodium, and even most meats and dairy products don't have a lot of sodium naturally, but tons of sodium is usually added in processing and preserving them.

I've heard some say it is cheaper to eat **** food than to eat the good stuff. Tell me?

1. Head of cabbage Tons of good stuff with little sodium and a massive amount of potassium = $0.88

2. Pound of carrots. ALL kinds of good stuff = $0.88

3. Pound of dried Lentils Fiber and proteins galore = $0.67

4. 14.5 ounce can of no salt added tomatoes = $0.50 Note a similar can of normal cans of tomatoes is same price but around 10 times more sodium.

5. 10 pounds of potatoes. $3.49 - That's 30 or more potatoes each with about 700+ milligrams of potassium and 0 sodium, 3 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, and 0 fat, and 45% of daily vitamin C.

For flavoring, onions and garlic kick salt's *** and add no sodium. Personally I like jualapenos and other forms of pepper as well.

michael55
21-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I am glad you are eating healthy. I thought DASH was a mix of spices which could be used instead of salt.

Silver
21-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Yep...there are 2 different DASHES ~ Mrs. Dash I believe it's called you can buy at the store ~ salt replacement spices makes it handy to make your foods delish without adding any salt.

Then there's the DASH Diet!