PDA

View Full Version : Shallowness

Pathwalker
02-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Good day all, i hope all is well in your lives! http://www.walkthepath.net/forum/images/smiles/PDT_015.gif
What i am about to discuss will surely be met with opposition as it is a most controversial notion, however i do ask that you keep an open mind when you read this post and i will in turn extend to you the same respect when reading your replies!

So as you may have already gathered, this topic is that of shallowness. Specifically i will be challenging the notion of what we take for granted to be 'shallow' and what is not. As this post is written from my perspective, i feel it is important that you understand the underlying assumption behind this theory; the duality of 'inside' and 'outside' and all duality is the same at it's source, inside and outside merge and give way to unconditional love. This isn't an easy concept to come to grips with, particularly if one is to approach it from a purely intellectual perspective however if one is able to accept this assumption, then the end result becomes logically possible.

I was brought up to believe that it is most shallow to be attracted to someone strictly because of their looks and that it was deep and noble to look past someone's appearance and be attracted to them for what's inside of them. When did it become customary to say one is more important than another, we say, "don't judge a book by it's cover" and yet we automatically judge someone's personality or intellectual depth as something to be revered and looks as something that we shouldn't enjoy as we would then be shallow. There is the possible rebuttal of this observation is that looks are fleeting whereas what a person is on the inside isn't, this isn't true in the slightest. People age both on the inside and the outside, it's a fact of life, fair enough a person will not remain physically youthful forever but as they age, can they not still be beautiful on the outside?

It's almost like we as a progressive society constantly follow the swing of the pendulum, for a period of time we adore the beautiful people and shun the ugly but intelligent, then the pendulum swings back and it's reversed - when are we going to learn to stop following the extremes and realise that both are equally shallow? Where did it all begin anyway, when did it become established that a good-looking/unintelligent person was less important than a plain/intelligent person. I believe we should appreciate all of our experience, whether they be beautiful, repulsive, intelligent or stupid not segregate ourselves from one another by judging one as better than the other.

Happy pondering!

Pathwalker

TzuJanLi
06-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Greetings..

Hi Pathwalker.. but, in the context of your proposition it seems that you are judging "shallow".. which, by my experience,is the contrasting principle of "deep".. wherein both are needed if we are to have discussions of relative merit.. now, i'm not suggesting that discussions of relative merit are particularly useful, but it seems to be a cornerstone of interpersonal evaluation..

There is a huge difference between "prejudice" and caution born of experience.. where we have the experience with the beautiful or handsome numbskull and the unattractive compassionate intellectual.. the caution here is evident even in your presentation, where the stereotypes are presented.. what you have is people.. give no credence to appearance or intellect, interact with our brothers and sisters as people.. beings with exactly the same right to exist and be known as everyone else.. Beauty and intellect are arbitrary values that change with different cultures and different times..

Use the tool of caution based on a consistency of experiences within a certain category of conditions/situations, carefully.. heightened awareness when confronted with similar experiences is prudent.. but, actions based on the "expectation" that the similar experience will produce the same results is prejudice.. and prejudice robs us of being fully present for this new experience.. to meet an attractive person and consider that they might be shallow or in a lower percentile of intellectual standards will taint the experience unfolding before you.. the same applies to the unattractive person..

It is wise to remember that standards for intellect and beauty are the "shallow" variables.. before you trouble yourself with those notions, admire the divine nature of the being.. understand that their journey is as important as your own..

Be well..

Maranda
06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Personally, I think it's an age thing. The older we get the deeper we look. I think it was rather unfair of your parents to tell you that it was being shallow to go for looks (sorry no offence to your parents). Most young people go for looks. It's all about getting older and becoming more and more mature. I don't believe it has anything to do with intellect.

angelicious
09-04-2007, 02:15 AM
Personally, I think it's an age thing. The older we get the deeper we look. I think it was rather unfair of your parents to tell you that it was being shallow to go for looks (sorry no offence to your parents). Most young people go for looks. It's all about getting older and becoming more and more mature. I don't believe it has anything to do with intellect.

Hiya, in my view, conditioning has a lot to answer for if you believe in it and buy into it. What was told to someone in the past, may not ring true at present. The mind can only be made up by the thinker of that mind.

It could be referred to as an age thing. For as we get older we become more experienced and experience is the difference between the adult us, and the child us.

With experience comes responsibilities and we discover the power to make up our own minds, think our own thoughts and see things through our own eyes instead of seeing the world through the eyes of our parents or anyone else for that matter. When responsibility is taken for ones own life, people choose to discover for themselves what the meaning of life is to them and not what life means because their parents said so.

People begin to live a life of their own and not one conditioned by the thoughts and lives of others.

Exhileration
09-04-2007, 03:18 PM
The pond is infinite, and you a drop within it. How shallow you are depends on how deep within your own reflection you care to look.

:hug2: