PDA

View Full Version : Who goes to sleep?

rsingh
06-01-2012, 02:00 AM
I disappear to myslef as I go to sleep. I am not aware of the world around me. I am not aware of my body or mind. My sense perception do not work during my sleep. So who goes to sleep? Is it the body? Is it the mind? Or is it my awareness or consciousness?

All the automatic processes in my body are functioning during sleep eventhough I am not aware of them. My sense perception are ready to awake. An alarm can wake me up. Some one can shake me to wake me up. So my body does not realy go to sleep. It is my awareness of the body that goes to sleep.

I can perceive through my sense perceptions without any interpretation by the mind. So I do not go to sleep if my mind goes to sleep. So I am simply not aware of mind during the sleep. So it is my awareness or consciousness that goes to sleep.

Where does my awareness goes during the sleep? Source of awreness has to divide itself into two for it to operate – awareness and objects in awareness. So awareness merges back to its source during our sleep and therefore no awareness. Source of awarenss is God. So awareness goes back to God during our sleep.

silent whisper
06-01-2012, 02:10 AM
And where might God be found?

Shabby
06-01-2012, 02:32 AM
I don't really understand the sleeping state, but of course I have an idea which is....we are asleep LOL Awareness is still aware of itself as awareness is always aware, but we are not aware of that awareness unless we are "awake" (enlightend) We are not within consciousness (the realm of duality) as we can not say that we are conscious nor unconscious...so we are in a dream state called sleep.....I think : )

rsingh
06-01-2012, 10:11 AM
And where might God be found?

Hi silent whisper

God can be found if our awareness becomes aware of itself which can happen only while we are aware or awake.

silent whisper
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
OK I need to sleep on that one.....its late and I am due for my bed...

thankyou for responding rsingh..I will be back.

Gem
06-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I just go to sleep and wake up again.

Shabby
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't really understand the sleeping state, but of course I have an idea which is....we are asleep LOL Awareness is still aware of itself as awareness is always aware, but we are not aware of that awareness unless we are "awake" (enlightend) We are not within consciousness (the realm of duality) as we can not say that we are conscious nor unconscious...so we are in a dream state called sleep.....I think : )

And when we wake up from sleeping we continue to dream...unless we wake up from the dream, then we are that which is aware of itself and we will no longer experience "states" of being....just my opinion : )

Emmalevine
06-01-2012, 02:22 PM
I agree about it being different states of consciousness. Some part of us is clearly awake and proactively dreaming :)

silent whisper
06-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Hi silent whisper

God can be found if our awareness becomes aware of itself which can happen only while we are aware or awake.

But isnt God everywhere?

Shabby
06-01-2012, 07:01 PM
But isnt God everywhere?

Yes, to him that knows God...he will see God everywhere...but to him that does not know God...he will see God nowhere.

silent whisper
06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Yes, to him that knows God...he will see God everywhere...but to him that does not know God...he will see God nowhere.

But isnt god everything?

Shabby
06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
But isnt god everything?

Like I said before...to some everything is God...to me God is everything.
I don't believe in God as matter, a person, decay, death, suffering, change, movement, energy, force, will, intent, desire or even creating, giving, rewarding, punishing, time, space or limited. God knows nothing of a world outside of truth for a world outside of truth can not be considered as "true/real" therefore I say that God is not everything but all there IS.....in my opinion : )

silent whisper
06-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Like I said before...to some everything is God...to me God is everything.
I don't believe in God as matter, a person, decay, death, suffering, change, movement, energy, force, will, intent, desire or even creating, giving, rewarding, punishing, time, space or limited. God knows nothing of a world outside of truth for a world outside of truth can not be considered as "true/real" therefore I say that God is not everything but all there IS.....in my opinion : )

And like all souls........shabbys opinion is valid in gods eyes...Peace...:smile:

Shabby
06-01-2012, 08:15 PM
And like all souls........shabbys opinion is valid in gods eyes...Peace...:smile:

Peace to you too Silent Whisper : )

Xan
06-01-2012, 08:27 PM
rsingh: Where does my awareness goes during the sleep? Source of awreness has to divide itself into two for it to operate – awareness and objects in awareness.

Awareness is not a 'thing' that could be divided. The Sanskrit symbol for consciousness is the 1000 petaled lotus. It is multidimensional in nature and doesn't fit into any easy definition.

When we "go" to sleep we go someplace else in awareness. Where (what dimension) that might be at any given time may vary.

Xan

Xan
06-01-2012, 08:30 PM
But isnt God everywhere?
Yes, here's the formula:

God = source of awareness = all awareness expressions = everywhere

Xan

silent whisper
06-01-2012, 08:34 PM
rsingh: Where does my awareness goes during the sleep? Source of awreness has to divide itself into two for it to operate – awareness and objects in awareness.

Awareness is not a 'thing' that could be divided. The Sanskrit symbol for consciousness is the 1000 petaled lotus. It is multidimensional in nature and doesn't fit into any easy definition.

When we "go" to sleep we go someplace else in awareness. Where (what dimension) that might be at any given time may vary.

Xan

Ah yes multi dimensional........a multitude of ideas, words, ways......of seeing and doing things....multi layered, multi faceted....so many worlds in one world where we live...I wonder which world we do in fact visit in our sleep space and I wonder why? Yes the present moment has a great deal to do with it I am sure..

Xan
06-01-2012, 08:47 PM
We can become more aware in our sleep time experiences. It just takes a little practice... such as keeping a dream journal, repeatedly affirming that we'll remember after we wake up, and holding still on first awakening until recall starts (especially Don't Move Your Head).

Xan

silent whisper
07-01-2012, 12:24 AM
We can become more aware in our sleep time experiences. It just takes a little practice... such as keeping a dream journal, repeatedly affirming that we'll remember after we wake up, and holding still on first awakening until recall starts (especially Don't Move Your Head).

Xan

Actually for me all this happens quite naturally..no thought process involved...it all just is. And most times the most important aspects will remain to be used as my awarness requires it.

Shabby
07-01-2012, 12:55 AM
I mentioned on another thread that Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj said that we can be aware even in sleeping state if we prolong the time we are present in waking state.

silent whisper
07-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Time is irrelvant is it not? If so prolonging is not necessary...

Shabby
07-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Time is irrelvant is it not? If so prolonging is not necessary...

You still sleep don't you?

silent whisper
07-01-2012, 01:30 AM
You still sleep don't you?

At the moment in this heightened state not much...:) Although these transitioning stages do come back in balance..as I am learning

rsingh
07-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Hi Xan

Off course awareness cannot be divided. Consciousness is everything that exists but consciousness is also aware of everything that exists. It is aware through living beings who are aware of objects around them and in them.

Where ever we go in sleep we are not aware of it?

Xan
08-01-2012, 09:59 PM

In the limited consciousness of ordinary life we just don't remember where we went and what we did after we wake up. In spiritual growth, as our consciousness expands we may find ourselves aware in other dimensions during sleep time. This is my own experience.

Xan

silent whisper
08-01-2012, 10:04 PM

In the limited consciousness of ordinary life we just don't remember where we went and what we did after we wake up. In spiritual growth, as our consciousness expands we may find ourselves aware in other dimensions during sleep time. This is my own experience.

Xan

The awarness remains and used accordingly in waking life as I am noticing through my own experience.....with awarness of course.

Juanita
08-01-2012, 10:21 PM

Xan

------------------------------------

Is this not an OBE?

Xan
08-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Is this not an OBE?

It may be an OBE or some other type of multidimensional experiencing, Juanita.

Xan

rsingh
09-01-2012, 09:44 AM

Hi Xan

If you are aware during sleep the you are not asleep, then you are awake. I equate awareness to awake and unawareness to sleep. Is it correct?

Juanita
10-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Is this not an OBE?

It may be an OBE or some other type of multidimensional experiencing, Juanita.

Xan

Yes, but you would have to be out of body to experience it, no?

Xan
12-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Not necessarily, Juanita. Our consciousness has multidimensional capacities. We may be aware in the body through its senses at the same time we are experiencing and interacting at higher levels.

Xan

Xan
12-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Hi Xan

If you are aware during sleep the you are not asleep, then you are awake. I equate awareness to awake and unawareness to sleep. Is it correct?

You can be aware in consciousness while your body is asleep. If your brain waves were recorded they would show the sleep zone of the lower theta and delta ranges.

In fact, this is an often used instruction for conscious out of body experiences... "mind awake, body asleep.'

Xan

rsingh
12-01-2012, 02:18 AM
You can be aware in consciousness while your body is asleep. If your brain waves were recorded they would show the sleep zone of the lower theta and delta ranges.

In fact, this is an often used instruction for conscious out of body experiences... "mind awake, body asleep.'

So it is a kind of dream state. OBE is a kind of dream state as well as I understand. Our body is sleep in dream state. When I say sleep I mean that we are unaware of our body and mind which is a deep sleep state.

Xan
12-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Well... dream states are one form of awareness in sleep, and arise from the mind. There are other states we may experience, such as lucid dreaming and higher dimensional consciousness beyond the mind.

Xan

rsingh
12-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Agreed Xan. Obviously there are many states of consciousness which we can be aware off. I have not covered all of them in this thread. Thanks.

Xan
12-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Yes... It would be a mistake to think we can label and limit our consciousness and what we may experience, beyond the body or in it.

Xan

Juanita
12-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Well... dream states are one form of awareness in sleep, and arise from the mind. There are other states we may experience, such as lucid dreaming and higher dimensional consciousness beyond the mind.

Xan

OK, so the "key" word here is "awareness" regardless of what "state" you are in.....Is this correct? If you are in a meditative state and "go off" to somewhere else, is your body awake or asleep? You are not aware of your body, only of where you are at......Is this what you mean?

Xan
12-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes... in deep meditate states we may be out of body, or in the body yet not aware of it.

Xan