PDA

View Full Version : Chanting or singing...?

Nebulous
04-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Sometimes when I'm in the middle of working with energies (like healing or meditation) or even just spontaneously, there is this strange thing I will start to do: I will start singing! It's a very haunting tune and it sounds a little bit like an old, earthy tune if that makes any sense...it's like the sound of a Native American maybe, or a beautiful Arabic chant, something like that - there's not much rhythm to it and it's usually in a minor key and very flowing and heartfelt, it feels like energy is absolutely pouring out from me and like I am being cleansed of all my impurities and energized. It feels like a larger and greater part of me just opens up and pours out.

When I've done it, strange things have happened. Not only do I feel as though I am healed and energized as it flows from me, but when I decided to show a few friends (and omg I was so nervous about it at first!!) they were mesmerized and began to have strong visions and spiritual experiences, it was very shocking to me. They said sometimes it made them feel like they were strong enough to take down a bear, and sometimes they felt almost like a child with their mother singing to them, nurtured and protected. I do not do it very often because I'm pretty embarrassed and like I said it has brought about very strange events, and I just don't want that kind of attention and don't know how to respond to it I guess...but when I'm alone I will often begin singing this way and it helps me dramatically.

As a bit of background I suppose... I was a total choir girl when I was younger, and did a lot of traveling around my home town and a few surrounding cities participating in choir performances here and there for large events as well as my family's church of choice, and I really love singing...so I guess you could say singing has always been a very strong part of who I am from the get-go. Still, I find this particular phenomenon to be very puzzling and I have not heard of it before. I don't like talking about it usually but I hope maybe you guys might have ideas about it...?

I really hope I've posted this in the correct category - I thought if anything it is probably closest to healing, as it does seem to have a healing or therapeutic effect.

Seawolf
04-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi Nebulous,

It sounds like a gift from the Divine that cleans the subconscious. By cleaning yourself with it, people around you are affected because we are all connected.

nightowl
04-01-2012, 10:55 PM
In some shamanistic practices chanting and singing is a form of healing, it carries the intention and spirit upon the chant or music, it is a wonderful tool to experience and use. Remember music is an energy form and is universal; connecting with it in healing must be part of your spiritual circuit. What a blessing...:hug3:

Nebulous
05-01-2012, 06:48 AM
I guess that makes sense Seawolf, about people around me being affected. Thanks!

nightowl, do you know where I might find out more about those shamanistic practices? I'd love to research this stuff further, I didn't know that was used that way! I honestly felt really weird doing it and since those experiences with friends I sort of went back to not doing it around anyone else, lol. I'd love to know more, honestly I'd probably try to find a video or something to hear it and see if it might sound similar (wouldn't that be freaky??!) Thanks!

nightowl
05-01-2012, 07:03 AM
I guess that makes sense Seawolf, about people around me being affected. Thanks!

nightowl, do you know where I might find out more about those shamanistic practices? I'd love to research this stuff further, I didn't know that was used that way! I honestly felt really weird doing it and since those experiences with friends I sort of went back to not doing it around anyone else, lol. I'd love to know more, honestly I'd probably try to find a video or something to hear it and see if it might sound similar (wouldn't that be freaky??!) Thanks!

Hey Neb,

You can google and find info, many Native American shamans have songs or chants that accompany their practices. I believe it is different according to cultural influences. I chant regularly during my rituals and practices, it just comes out...:smile: Feel free to pm me if you like.
Here is a site that explains it nicely;

http://www.shamaaniseura.fi/sh314.htm

Lakota chant;

http://www.shamanicjourney.com/article/6227/chant-amerindien-lakota

Nebulous
05-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Thank you!! The chant didn't sound similar, but those are great resources. Much appreciated :D

So I did a lot of searching around and found this...when I do it, it often sounds very similar to the first 45 seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNORpY9uxPw

I'm not sure at all what she's singing about lol, but the sound of it is almost the same. I've had it change a few times based on situations, to something more Native American in flavor, or even to something vaguely Asian...but generally, musically speaking, it runs along that vein of sound I'd say.

I'm halfway wondering if I should make a video myself for reference, but I'm sort of nervous about the idea of doing so. :S

Enya
05-01-2012, 07:54 PM
In shamanic terms, what you are doing is singing a power song. This could be from a past-life memory/instinct or be inspired by a spirit guide who is working with you. Trust it, don't try to analyse it and watch it grow... :smile:
I've worked this way for many years - by flowing with the intuition, I'll use sound in many forms - drum, singing bowl, chants, prayers, toning, chimes, rattle... all good means of healing.

DulcePoetica
05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Vibrations, baby! I love the link you posted. Have you considered teaching the chant to your friends or others around you? Resonating together in unison with a spiritual aim, well, there is nothing quite like that. It's like vibrational fertilizer.

Thanks for sharing!

nightowl
05-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Thank you!! The chant didn't sound similar, but those are great resources. Much appreciated :D

So I did a lot of searching around and found this...when I do it, it often sounds very similar to the first 45 seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNORpY9uxPw

I'm not sure at all what she's singing about lol, but the sound of it is almost the same. I've had it change a few times based on situations, to something more Native American in flavor, or even to something vaguely Asian...but generally, musically speaking, it runs along that vein of sound I'd say.

I'm halfway wondering if I should make a video myself for reference, but I'm sort of nervous about the idea of doing so. :S

I am glad to be of help. I was wondering what your heritage is, it could be tied to that...Enya shared some great insights as well. It is best to just let it flow and be...enjoy!

Nebulous
06-01-2012, 12:01 PM
In shamanic terms, what you are doing is singing a power song. This could be from a past-life memory/instinct or be inspired by a spirit guide who is working with you. Trust it, don't try to analyse it and watch it grow... :smile:
I've worked this way for many years - by flowing with the intuition, I'll use sound in many forms - drum, singing bowl, chants, prayers, toning, chimes, rattle... all good means of healing.

Hmm, a power song. Interesting! I don't really have any spirit guides, mine have basically saluted me and wandered off to help others long ago, aside from a few white and dark spirits that hang around me a lot and I've often sent them out to accomplish things - but they aren't guides or teachers, more like trusted friends or allies. But it does feel like tapping into an older and greater part of myself...I think you may be correct, it may be tapping into something from a past life. I may do some meditation with it and see what I stumble on - thank you!

Vibrations, baby! I love the link you posted. Have you considered teaching the chant to your friends or others around you? Resonating together in unison with a spiritual aim, well, there is nothing quite like that. It's like vibrational fertilizer.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm not really sure how in the world I'd teach it, LOL - I'm not a very good teacher and I'm really not even sure how I know it myself at all, I sort of just do it. I've used it while others were doing stuff like astral or attack/defense or healing or so on, and it seemed to strengthen and focus them, so I understand what you mean about the spiritual aim thing.

Nebulous
06-01-2012, 12:09 PM
I am glad to be of help. I was wondering what your heritage is, it could be tied to that...Enya shared some great insights as well. It is best to just let it flow and be...enjoy!

Well, I'm from the US but my heritage traces back to the UK, to Ireland, Scotland and England and thereabouts, and so on. I have a minuscule bit of Cherokee in my blood, five generations back, but it's not quite what I'd call bragworthy LOL -- when I read your mention of heritage I went and looked up some Cherokee chants and although some elements sounded a tiny bit similar, it wasn't really the same.

Honestly...I think I'm just going to post a video with me doing the whole singing/chanting thing, here pretty soon. I'll have to figure out how to put it together, I'd like to maybe put a nice picture and let people focus on the audio - I'll start working on it here very soon. If you guys want I can link it in this thread, who knows, maybe it'll help people or something.

Nebulous
06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Okay, I managed to get a video together - took me FOREVER to find a video editing software that didn't demand that I pay buttloads, and when I finally found one it still slammed me with a big fat watermark on the video, but anyways...at least the audio gets the point across. (Can you tell it was totally frustrating? LOL)

Here's the video I put together, this is a short and sweet version of what I do. I have a cold right now so my voice is not at all cooperating the way it usually does, my apologies! Also when I showed it to him, BF complained the volume is too high, so I guess turn your speakers down somewhat before you click it, I dunno lol

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1yvxdlyhGs

nightowl
06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Hey Neb,

Thanks for sharing that...honestly this sounds to me as if it is your spirit singing, it is an awesome thing huh! It happens when what you feel goes beyond words...lovely experience from the Divine...

Nebulous
08-01-2012, 09:27 AM
You're right, it does feel that way a lot of times. Thanks nightowl for the advice! :)

DulcePoetica
16-01-2012, 04:57 AM
I can't believe I lost track of this post! Thank you for sharing that, so beautiful.

May I introduce you to Lisa Gerard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoXsxYf2UMA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Keiko
28-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Hey Neb,

You can google and find info, many Native American shamans have songs or chants that accompany their practices. I believe it is different according to cultural influences. I chant regularly during my rituals and practices, it just comes out...:smile: Feel free to pm me if you like.
Here is a site that explains it nicely;

http://www.shamaaniseura.fi/sh314.htm

Lakota chant;

http://www.shamanicjourney.com/article/6227/chant-amerindien-lakota

I loved that Lakota chant, thank you for posting the link

Keiko :smile:

Keiko
29-01-2012, 12:01 AM
Okay, I managed to get a video together - took me FOREVER to find a video editing software that didn't demand that I pay buttloads, and when I finally found one it still slammed me with a big fat watermark on the video, but anyways...at least the audio gets the point across. (Can you tell it was totally frustrating? LOL)

Here's the video I put together, this is a short and sweet version of what I do. I have a cold right now so my voice is not at all cooperating the way it usually does, my apologies! Also when I showed it to him, BF complained the volume is too high, so I guess turn your speakers down somewhat before you click it, I dunno lol

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1yvxdlyhGs

you did really well i had a listen to it - i closed my eyes & relaxed.

i love the chanting/singing to meditations, especially the indians/tibetans and monks :smile: