PDA

View Full Version : Using religion and spirituality as an excuse

Nada
04-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Ok,

Brace yourself.
It is the election time again.

Somehow, while trying to catch latest election news, crowns of our political mine fields and their headliners made me wonder why some of these people use their GODs and spirituality for their stupid choices and their own weakness.

Here are some of those that I picked out just this evening as I was going through news channels and internet news sites.

1. Maria Shriver, Arnold Schwarzenegger Reconciling (What??!!):confused:
She is using her religion as the reason for not going through with the divorce.
Really Maria? You are taking him back because of your religion?

Why not just admit that nobody can rock your core like the f#@4king Arnold? (Of course, apparently he rocks everybody else around you at the same time. Not even a household staff is safe in your own home.)

2. Guess what? I was channel surfing this evening and I was surprise to see Mark Sanford on Fox News. :icon_eek:
He is now a political analyst/commentator.
We will never forget how he freely used words "Soulmate Love" to describe his tawdry affair while completely destroying his four young sons' spirits and his wife's heart. :disgust:
(Remember his affairs in Appalachian trails also known as Argentina?)

This loser and his mistress may be soulmates but he somehow forgot that his own family members probably are his other soulmates as well. What did he think that his four young sons and his wife of 20years were?:angry1:

Historically, GOD and spirituality of all kinds were used as excuses to serve human greed and weakness.

And will it ever stop?
When will we accept our own faults and weaknesses as ours own?
Will humans ever be spiritually evolved enough to not blame their GODs or other unexplained?

More In Common
04-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Haha, I agree the Appalachain trail was a pretty hilarious excuse and I never saw the Arnold-housemaid story coming....

But -

Maybe we all need a second chance every now and then. I know I've done lots of things in my past I wouldn't want to define me.

Maybe God, for some people, is just a good justification for fogiveness.

mattie
04-01-2012, 08:34 AM
We have Sanford to thank for the euphemism, ‘hiking the Appalachian Trail’ entering the American lexicon for adultery.

Greenslade
05-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Just think. If we go to war these are the people that others will put their Lives on the line to protect. They'll also be the legacy for future generations when they come crawling out of their nuke-proof shelters. And guess who put them there?

Eudaimonist
05-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Historically, GOD and spirituality of all kinds were used as excuses to serve human greed and weakness.

And will it ever stop?

It doesn't seem likely.

When every last person in the world is an atheist, and perhaps not even then.

Will humans ever be spiritually evolved enough to not blame their GODs or other unexplained?

As individuals, yes. As a species? Probably not.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Greenslade
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Spirituality and religion are pretty cool things until people get their hands on it.

Swami Chihuahuananda
05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Edging a little away from center-topic , I just wrote some stuff on another board , a short, spontaneous essay , the gist of which was about the real meaning of the overused phrase "support our troops" . It really means

Support Our Wars :icon_eek:

Mind's Eye
05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
We see this kind of thing happening a lot unfortunately... It just seems more in your face when people who are in the spotlight do it. But look at the common folks who kill in the name of God or start holy wars in the name of religion. Look at the massive amounts of people who are cheating on thier spouses and having affairs with married people in the name of Twin Flame. The list goes on and on... I sometimes wonder where the new modern spirituality is taking our world.

Nada
05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Edging a little away from center-topic , I just wrote some stuff on another board , a short, spontaneous essay , the gist of which was about the real meaning of the overused phrase "support our troops" . It really means

Support Our Wars :icon_eek:

Hey Dar,
That sounds interesting.
Care to provide us with the link so we can read it? please~~~:smile:

Seawolf
05-01-2012, 03:24 PM
And will it ever stop?

I used to be pretty mad at religion because I was led to kind of cult when I was younger that had some negative affects. Now I'm learning to take responsibility instead of point at others. If I dwell on resentment towards religion or belief systems, the problem is not out there, but is actually in me.

Mind's Eye
05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
I used to be pretty mad at religion because I was led to kind of cult when I was younger that had some negative affects. Now I'm learning to take responsibility instead of point at others. If I dwell on resentment towards religion or belief systems, the problem is not out there, but is actually in me.

Timely words Seawolf. I think there are many of us who can learn from your statement.

Silver
05-01-2012, 05:07 PM
We see this kind of thing happening a lot unfortunately... It just seems more in your face when people who are in the spotlight do it. But look at the common folks who kill in the name of God or start holy wars in the name of religion. Look at the massive amounts of people who are cheating on thier spouses and having affairs with married people in the name of Twin Flame. The list goes on and on... I sometimes wonder where the new modern spirituality is taking our world.

Unbelievably sad when you think about it...I'm / we're so used to thinking of parents giving their good housekeeping seal of approval to send their sons and daughters off to fight immensely powerful people's wars, you have ta shrug because it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing to ever change.

And the justification of the cheating and affairs just because of some inane notion that someone is your TF makes me vomit ~ and I don't do that easily. Seriously.

Sarian
05-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Tf stuff sounds like nonsense, but then again people need to stop being all black and white, there are a lot of gray areas and until you experience it yourself first hand, what it is like, sometimes it's best to not judge. ...oh and yes, some of what I read makes me laugh or want to vomit as well, but you know, stuff happens. Right or wrong, it just does. I didn't go out looking for it.

Woo woo, love and light and angels and other things I read here make me shake my head as well. There's a lot of weirdness in the name of religion and spirituality. Most of which I don't even bother with.

Edited by SF Staff

Silver
05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I understand that, Sarian ~ I just can't agree with that it's all right to cheat ~ one's marriage should be dealt with and sorted before moving onto someone new.

Sarian
05-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I understand that, Sarian ~ I just can't agree with that it's all right to cheat ~ one's marriage should be dealt with and sorted before moving onto someone new.

Not always that easy. You may think so, but it's not. I had to get over my fear of being dismembered and buried here and there and my kids not having any parents... I had to get strong first...and I did, and it took years, but he still was threatening...and I had to talk to domestic violence counselors as well, and deal with my fears..

Silver
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Not always that easy. You may think so, but it's not. I had to get over my fear of being dismembered and buried here and there and my kids not having any parents... I had to get strong first...and I did, and it took years, but he still was threatening...and I had to talk to domestic violence counselors as well, and deal with my fears..

:hug: I know ~ I'm saying in reference to one using TF as an excuse to cheat...maybe not so much with a seriously complicated situation in the marriage. :smile:

Mind's Eye
05-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Unbelievably sad when you think about it...I'm / we're so used to thinking of parents giving their good housekeeping seal of approval to send their sons and daughters off to fight immensely powerful people's wars, you have ta shrug because it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing to ever change.

And the justification of the cheating and affairs just because of some inane notion that someone is your TF makes me vomit ~ and I don't do that easily. Seriously.

:icon_puke_l: <------- Silvergirl... lol

Nada
05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
But look at the common folks who kill in the name of God or start holy wars in the name of religion.

Yes, in fact, I was reading an article about religion and wars that was written by a historian(?) years ago. He claimed that religions (used as the reason) have killed more people than anything else (including any disease) throughout our human history.

Look at the massive amounts of people who are cheating on thier spouses and having affairs with married people in the name of Twin Flame. The list goes on and on... I sometimes wonder where the new modern spirituality is taking our world.

There always have been unexplainables around us. We tried to explain these and name them as GOD, spirits, soulmates, TFs, ghosts, angels, big foot, leprechaus, and whatever.

These "organized or structured or created or rationalized spiritualities including all religions" are man-made in order to justify and to excuse our own existence among these unexplainables.
The new modern spirituality is not at all new nor modern. They have been around since the beginning of the time but we just call them differently now.
So, it really is just the name change.

It is like this...
I was in an Italian restaurant. I looked at the menu and it listed "Pasta with Marinara Sauce and Italian Sausage" as one of the menu items. I asked the waiter, "So, this is Spaghetti, right?".
The young man looked at me like he had never heard of Spaghetti and said "No, it is pasta with marinara sauce and comes with Italian Sausage."
By renaming the good old fashion Spaghetti as "Pasta with Marinary Sauce and Italian Sausage", they updated their menu to be new and modern. Plus, they can charge it more than Spaghetti because it is now different. :D