PDA

View Full Version : wine & cheese

Adrienne
23-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Cheese ~ refrigerated or room temperature ?

Does one enhance the flavor more than the other, or is it just personal preference in taste ?

Wine ~ refrigerate or room temperature ? I have heard refrigerate one, room temp for the other, I just can't remember which is which ~ red or white ?

Dream Angel xx

Kaausti
23-12-2011, 11:55 AM
LOL..another favorite topic for me! Yum!

Red-room temperature (lest you make it a wine cooler with soda/ice)
White-chilled

Cheese (depends on the cheese you choose); some of the smoked cheese is best at room temperature. Some cheese you want it to be chilled, so, it will keep its consistency.

Adrienne
23-12-2011, 12:00 PM
hello again ! :smile:

Actually I am a little hungry and thirsty for both at the moment.:D

Thanks for the clarification on the wine, I always chilled both kinds.

And for the cheese, I didn't think about the consistency, good point !

Kaausti
23-12-2011, 12:06 PM
You're welcome! Enjoy!

Neville
23-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Cheese ~ refrigerated or room temperature ?

Does one enhance the flavor more than the other, or is it just personal preference in taste ?

Wine ~ refrigerate or room temperature ? I have heard refrigerate one, room temp for the other, I just can't remember which is which ~ red or white ?

Dream Angel xx

Red is room temperature but I cant really think of a red wine as such I would take with cheese, though Port and Stilton is a marriage made in heaven:smile:

I am more of a Jarlesberg or Emmental and Hock Man myself both chilled, just like me :D

Adrienne
23-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Neville, you have just given me a clue on how to remember which wine not to chill " Red is room temperature " , now if I can just remember the clue :D

Out of the 5 names you mentioned, Emmental is the only one I recognize,we met once upon a time :tongue:

Kaere
23-12-2011, 04:07 PM
I prefer red wine to be slightly chilled actually so I say go with what you enjoy personally.

And I prefer melty cheese - some cranberries and liquid honey on a brie wheel and bake it, soooo goood.

Adrienne
23-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Actually Kaere, I do like my wine chilled, even the pink variety. ( not exactly a wine conniseur, lol ! )

yum, yum on the cranberry/ cheese idea ! how long do you bake it ? and at 350 ?

Kaere
23-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I'd do it a little cooler at 325 and just until it gets melty. I don't really time it, I just check every few mins. It was an experiment one night lol.

Adrienne
23-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Thank you, it sounds like a nice holiday appetizer, Christmassy with the cranberries !

I don't like bleu cheese, but I have had an appetizer with honey drizzeled over the bleu cheese - not baked - and it was tasty. There wasn't a lot of bleu in the cheese, just very little, which was good, not such a strong taste.

Miss Hepburn
23-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Red is room temperature but I cant really think of a red wine as such I would take with cheese, though Port and Stilton :thumbsup: is a marriage made in heaven:smile:

I am more of a Jarlesberg or Emmental and Hock Man myself both chilled, just like me :D
New York Sharp Cheddar -with the cheapest wine as in MD 20-20 and Italian or French Bread -preferably a day old -learned this from a hippie hobo on a hike/picnic, Hmmm. He was clean and cute for a hobo...

Otherwise a Cabernet Sauvignon.

And yes, Jarlsberg - you do White with that? Ok,
Yes, I could do that easily, uh-huh..very dry, Fume blanc, Sauvignon...

I don't know Hock Man!!! But, I will soon if you like it!
:wink:

Mayflow
23-12-2011, 10:26 PM
I like pretty much any hard cheese cool, especially sharp cheddar, and pepperjack. I am less of a fan of room temperature, but melted is yummy for not only hard cheeses (mozzarella for sure) but for the velveeta types as well. We have a local store with their own unique brand which is a variation of velveeta made of montery jack mixed with jualapenos which is really good melted.

Wine I am less fond of than beer but I do think red wines should usually be room temp, except for a desert wine like port, and I think all white wines are better chilled. Champaign is yummy, but definitely chilled.

Silver
24-12-2011, 12:40 AM
I love saying the names of French wines rather than drinking them. I like brie. I rarely drink anything. And Miss H ~ you shouldn't say things like that about hobos ~ rofl~*

StephenK
25-12-2011, 10:37 PM
And Miss H ~ you shouldn't say things like that about hobos ~ rofl~*
Heeehee some of my best friends at one time were hobo-ish...! :^)

I've stray away from cheese lately, but my preference is to eat it cold, and I'm not a fan at all of wine but my wife is a happy participant! Her current
fetish is Schmitt Sohne Riesling: Spatlese (intense and fruity) She prefers it cold, at the current refrigerator setting. This is a seasonal wine so she's
"getting it while it lasts"... :^)

My bent is toward beer. Love the deeper bodied beers, lagers and stouts... so-much-so that I'm learning to brew them myself. A coffee-leaning beer is
magnificent! The commercial coffee options in the states that I've found so far is the Aloha Series called Pipeline, brewed in Hawaii, and Cafe Negro...
Both of these are seasonal.. Pipeline is in right now ...Cafe Negro should be arriving shortly. Can't wait! :^)

In the last year or so we've been frequenting brew pubs... what a wonderful adventure! Each brew pub has a master brewer that obviously
loves the craft! :occasion14:

Miss Hepburn
25-12-2011, 10:46 PM
I love saying the names of French wines..
Say 'Montepulciano'...you'll start liking to say Italian names, too - but you
must say it with your hands and attitude ...

WhiteWarrior
25-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Never mind brands. Think grapes. And the best red one of them is Cabernet Sauvignon. Salut! In fact I am having a nice Chilean one right now. (Local time: 23:52)

Silver
25-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Say 'Montepulciano'...you'll start liking to say Italian names, too - but you
must say it with your hands and attitude ...

Thanks for the challenge (I'm practicing as we speak) ~ grazie

The last wine I had was simply Sangria~*

Miss Hepburn
25-12-2011, 11:32 PM
I used to make wines - some were magnicent - dry, dry whites....hmmm, just like Cakebread (Napa brand).
Red's were harder for me....to make perfect..

Silver
25-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Years and years ago, I had a good friend who would buy Blue Nun and Liebfraumilch (i hope I spelled it right).

Miss Hepburn
25-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Years and years ago, I had a good friend who
would buy Blue Nun and Liebfraumilch....
They are very good for sweet wines - I don't go
for wines that taste like Sprite, though. :tongue: