PDA

View Full Version : Wiccans, Witches and the Runes

Mind's Eye
19-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Are you a wiccan, witch or of the old earth religion? Do you use the runes in your magic and ceremonies? If so, please tell me how you personally use the runes. And also, how do you use the runes when celebrating your spiritual path at Halloween time?

I am currently writing a book about how the runes are used in wiccan/witch traditions at Halloween time. And yes, it is a positive book on the subject. Any traditions you can share would be great. Thanks in advance.

And please remember, Runes in your craft at Halloween time is the focal point here.

Lostgirl
19-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I dont use Runes although it is something i have been looking into more recently funnily enough. They are for divination purposes and not heard of them being used in rituals as such, but i could be wrong. I use Tarot cards as im new with the divination haha!

As for Halloween, i dont do rituals. I know many people who try and contact "the other side" but i light a candle and i remember those who have passed. I dont agree with disturbing or trying to contact the ones who have passed.

norseman
19-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I follow the old ways of the Cunning Folk and runes form no part of it. Also, Halloween does not enter either. The festival is Samhain Oct 31st approx - the start of Winter, the beginning of the Celtic year, and the Day of the Dead when the veil is thin and the ancestors may be approached for their wisdom.
There seems to be agreement that runes were in use in Britain from about the 5th century with the Saxon invasions. Cunning Folk predate that.

Occultist
19-12-2011, 03:18 PM
^ and he gets there before I do ... <hugs> Norse :)
I do use runes but not for ceremonies they are a divination tool.
On Samhain eve the Witching hour 3am I will preform free readings in my house to those who ask.
My celebration of Samhain pronounced Sowen... Last's 24 hours.

norseman
19-12-2011, 03:20 PM
"^ and he gets there before I do ... <hugs> Norse :)"

:D :hug::hug:

Lostgirl
19-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Do you celebrate it for a full 24 hours ?! Wow!
What do you do???

Lostgirl
19-12-2011, 03:22 PM
"^ and he gets there before I do ... <hugs> Norse :)"

:D :hug::hug:

Its because you are so huggable really lol:hug2: :hug2:

Occultist
19-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Do you celebrate it for a full 24 hours ?! Wow!
What do you do???
Yes a complete 24 hours of drinking and celebration singing songs good food.
Catching up with family members and remembering those we lost along the way that year.
Hogmanay and Samhain is the 2 most celebrated times of year for me and my family.

norseman
19-12-2011, 03:49 PM
:D I do make a thing about Samhain - striding the hedge. My patch seems to be very rich in doorways, mostly caves but this year, I used a "place between places" and a "time between times" with unexpected results.

Mind's Eye
19-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Well we're certainly off topic, as I knew this thread would be... LOL. But hell, :hug2: to everybody anyway. :smile:

As for me, October 31st is the most celebrated time of the year. I do deck the house out with autumn decorations and usually do a bit of divination via tarot or runes on Halloween night. I generally also take a late night stroll in the darkness and keep myself open for any spiritual contact. It's the pagan in me... I love Halloween and find the entire month of October to be a very spiritually hightened time. It is my time to meditate on life, my goals, where I am and where I want to be by the next year at that time. Every October 15th, I write down what I call the October Journals... And it basically recaps the years successes ect and lays out my game plan for the year ahead. It's very motivating for me and interesting to look back on the following October and see how I did.

Lostgirl
19-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Thats awesome!
I just like to remember those who have passed, even if its just 5 minutes.

LadyTerra
19-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Are you a wiccan, witch or of the old earth religion? Do you use the runes in your magic and ceremonies? If so, please tell me how you personally use the runes. And also, how do you use the runes when celebrating your spiritual path at Halloween time?

I am currently writing a book about how the runes are used in wiccan/witch traditions at Halloween time. And yes, it is a positive book on the subject. Any traditions you can share would be great. Thanks in advance.

And please remember, Runes in your craft at Halloween time is the focal point here.

I use Nordic Runes for divination--at Samhain (in particular--but not exclusively) to forecast the coming Wheel-of-the-Year, as my ForeMothers did. I (also) use RunicTalismans to incribe Candles for my CandleMagickRituals and BlessingBags at Litha and Yule.

Good luck on your book!:hug:

Peace and Love on your path to sharing the Mysteries...

Blessed be...

Mind's Eye
19-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I use Nordic Runes for divination--at Samhain (in particular--but not exclusively) to forecast the coming Wheel-of-the-Year, as my ForeMothers did. I (also) use RunicTalismans to incribe Candles for my CandleMagickRituals and BlessingBags at Litha and Yule.

Good luck on your book!:hug:

Peace and Love on your path to sharing the Mysteries...

Blessed be...

And thank you for sharing.

Occultist
19-12-2011, 07:10 PM
My house does not have the headstones or blood or the insult green face witch I decorate mine with squashes autumn leaves,acorns,branches,I make cloth pumpkins and scent them with spices my cauldron has spices and orange peels,cinni sticks,apples tons of stuff. I tie apples on my tree the singles in the family/friends go outside and bite a swinging apples to see who there true loves might be. My entire front yard has pumpkins squash I also hallow out rutabagas and put tea lights in them and hang them off my porch. So runes is just a small part.

Neville
19-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Runic Magic, I believe is a form of sigil magic where in you focus on the desired effect as represented in the qualities of the rune in question, however there are indeed many runic alphabets, the most commonly used being the Scandinavian and Danish futharks.

This is a really informative article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_script (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fen. wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FRunic_script)

Now obviously as with most magic the formula can be tailored to your own personal tastes, from elaborate ceremony to merely meditating on the runes that you would like to begin exerting their particular influence.

LadyMoondancer
20-12-2011, 11:46 AM
my eldest sister uses the Runes, as she is a High Priestess in Heathen Theodish Asatru. She is a Runemaster.

I have a set of rune stones but don't really use them. I use Tarot.

For Samain, I will usually just light a few candles and do a quiet ritual of honoring my ancestors - or others who have passed on. A few times, I have participated in a group ritual with our local group of witches/pagans. The past 2 years (2009 + 2010) - I was very sick with bronchitis and just sat on the couch drinking spiced cider and watching the Ghosthunter live Halloween special. (2010 they were in Buffalo investigating our famous old railroad terminal - they were just 2 miles away from me and I couldn't go 'cos I was sick - so I missed gorgeous Barry Fitzgerald again!). This year, I did my own little thing.

For "Halloween" - the American fun holiday - my hubby and I would decorate our house full out with huge swamp rats, skeletons, bats, the nasty-faced jack-o-lanterns, spiderwebs, speakers hidden under the decorations - broadcasting the Halloween sound effects. Our house was always the neighborhood's favorite! We haven't decorated for the past few years - and now that we got our new porch - we still have to add on the latticework to "enclose" it. then we can decorate again. The latticework will give us a better way to decorate.

My hubby would greet the trick-or-treaters wearing a black robe, skeleton gloves and a Scream mask. We had several kids scream in fright, run off our porch, then come back laughing!

but in all our "ghoulish" decorations - I refuse to put up any stereotypical green-face "witch" - and no broomsticks either!