PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Chrome and IE?

Time
18-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Why are the tool bars different on this website when you use IE, or google chrome?

Kaere
18-12-2011, 07:04 PM
No idea. Maybe cause the website is created with one browser in mind in general and the other browser is trying to adapt as well as it can?

Time
18-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Could be it. But I would epect the script to be the same for each browser. I just find it odd that the actual user bar is different, as in there is no "my posts" section at all. I have to go through 5 or 6 things just to check my posts LOL

norseman
18-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I have tried chrome and regard it as "bad news". I had to do a complete reboot of my PC afterwards. Be cautious !
I use Firefox and am completely happy with that !

innerlight
18-12-2011, 08:55 PM
I have tried chrome and regard it as "bad news". I had to do a complete reboot of my PC afterwards. Be cautious !
I use Firefox and am completely happy with that !

While there are some things that I like about Firefox my favorite being the built in spell checker that checks the posts while they are being made. Firefox does have its flaws as well. Firefox can also be very buggy. There are many a time when Firefox crashes on me for no reason. Or locks up in the middle of a post of reply and I have to exit it out of the reply and try again. There are also many websites that do not display properly because the plugin is not supported by Firefox.

While each and every browser has its ups and downs go with whichever one you find the most comfortable using.

Others have commented that Chrome has a problem displaying the tabs at the top. I have also had a problem with Safari doing the same thing.

Ie 9 and the way it caches cookies can make certain functions of forums not work as well as they should such as the new posts function of this forum.

norseman
18-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Yep, I gave Safari a go too. Not impressed, too intrusive. This week I downloaded Firefox V8 [?]. Lightning fast ! I now download albums from i-Tunes in a couple of minutes and there is a new menu of downloads to choose. IE - adverts are a pain ! :smile:

innerlight
18-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Yep, I gave Safari a go too. Not impressed, too intrusive. This week I downloaded Firefox V8 [?]. Lightning fast ! I now download albums from i-Tunes in a couple of minutes and there is a new menu of downloads to choose. IE - adverts are a pain ! :smile:

The other thing that annoys me about Firefox is that it mandates and forces you to update it... Or be annoyed with a pop up every time you try to use it about updating the browser.

midnightstar
18-12-2011, 09:19 PM
I've tried IE, Firefox and Chrome and I'd say Firefox is my preference (Chrome tends to freeze up a lot when I'm trying to do emails and that's no good for me) and seems to be about as much use as a chocolate teapot. IE isn't much better in my opinion. Firefox I have never had any problem with so far :smile:

Neville
18-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Another vote in favour of Firefox here.

midnightstar
18-12-2011, 09:28 PM
The other thing that annoys me about Firefox is that it mandates and forces you to update it... Or be annoyed with a pop up every time you try to use it about updating the browser.

Innerlight Firefox doesn't come up with pop ups here :confused1:

Time
18-12-2011, 09:45 PM
So no browswer will run this site properly?

innerlight
18-12-2011, 09:47 PM

I think Firefox runs it the best. Minus the occasional hiccup. I have not used IE since they first rolled out Ie9 so do not know how well it works anymore.

Neville
18-12-2011, 10:00 PM

hello Time,

here in the UK, as beautydylan hinted at, Firefox runs SF quiet adequately:smile:

Kaere
18-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I still use IE8 cause I'm stubborn and it works like a dream for me. I don't think that's much help to anyone though so I'll just sit over here in the corner and sip my soda.

Dragonfly1
18-12-2011, 11:42 PM
I tried firefox after i was having a few glitch's with chrome, but after a week with firefox i changed back, it slowed my computer down, froze almost everytime i tried to use stuff....it was a disaster on my computer...Chrome is superior for me.. even with its few hiccups......

Neville
18-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Hi dragonfly 1,
I agree with what you say.

I will however say that Firefox can at times be a veritable black hole for RAM and if your running more than one application . it is prone to freeze up. I used to run a bare minimum of 4 gig of RAM to support Firefox's voracious appetite for memory . I am now moving up to 8 gb of RAM to allow processes to run more fluidly.

Mayflow
19-12-2011, 01:11 AM
I am pretty sure you can choose what tool bars you want from any of the browsers and also which search engine you prefer. For me Chrome is the lightest and the quickest.

norseman
19-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Just a reminder, Firefox 8.0.1 is now on free download and is the bee's middle leg joint ! I gather that I.E. V9 is still troublesome.

Dragonfly1
19-12-2011, 10:03 AM
firefox 8.0.1 is the version that I used, and it stalled my computer to almost a standstill.....not good for my computer at all........

norseman
19-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Memory ? If it is low, you could allocate space to Virtual memory. :smile:

Golden28
19-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Ah.. a topic i can work with..

IE = something i wouldnt spit on if it was on fire i.e So many Vunreblities and problems its no wonder it was made by microsoft. (Company trait)

Firefox = Stable,Secure, Fast, - Can be a memmory hog at times, for example, if your running streaming content youll notice its eatting about 150 odd mb, which tbh lets face it isnt bad.. depending on your specifications, (the more memmory it eats the better concerning Stability)
(also has a huge plugin list thanks to its huge community)

Some plugins i will mention here as they are invaluable to anyone running Firefox, and also this helps me out to no end regarding "Problems" that most people on this forum contact me with, and i end up fixing with teamviewer.. lol.

1: Adblock plus: http://adblockplus.org/en/
2: Downloadhelper: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/ < Allows you to download ANY Content from the web Securely, also has a massive Database of records built in that will list every site known to man with streaming video content.

There is a couple more that i wont mention because of the forums policy, and i get abit to deep at times.. i dont want to confuse people.. although im open to pms :)

Chrome = Stable, Secure, Fast, (not a memmory hog) - Decent for coding, and Syntax highlighting, and many other aspects of development. Chrome also has a sandboxing technique built in automaticly that prevents any unwanted software installing itself on your machine, and stops what happens on one tab affecting what happens on another.

norseman
19-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Golden, have a look at NoSquint. It allows you to set font sizes to suit yourself and can also be used to blow-up images. You can set different colour schemes for different functions. A goody ! :smile:
[only for Firefox]

Golden28
19-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Golden, have a look at NoSquint. It allows you to set font sizes to suit yourself and can also be used to blow-up images. You can set different colour schemes for different functions. A goody ! :smile:
[only for Firefox]

Nice one =) will take a look. Btw [Firefox] Ctrl + Mousewheel = Zoom in and out, obviously increases text size and image by default. just thought i'd let you know :)

Time
19-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok, ive been, as whiteshaman calls it "drive by posting" LOL... So ill explain a bit more clearly..

On IE9, there are some glitches, where the " my posts" area wont work. I noticed this once i DLeed IE9, so I started to use chrome. I noticed that the toolbar is different:

IE9 - The search botton, is after "new posts". After that, there is "quick links"

Chrome - The search button is BEFORE "new posts", and there is NO "quick links" botton at all, anywhere on the web page.

So basically, I have to track down a post I did, go in to "my posts" and 5 - 10 clicks later i can finally see my posts on chrome. IE9, still trips out on the "quick links" button, and only shows "my posts" once, before not working untill I clear my cookies.

So the question is why? Shouldnt the programming for the site be on BOTH browsers?

Im aware that IE9 still has plug in issues, but why the lack of "quick links" option on goodle chrome?

Aquarian
19-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Chrome is spyware -- Firefox and Opera are the only decent alternatives. Opera invented most of the features that modern browsers have, and it has a few that haven't been copied yet. It's small, fast, lovely to use, extremely customisable, stable and works fine with 100+ tabs open. Strongly recommended unless you need specific FF extensions.

Kaere
19-12-2011, 04:41 PM
So the question is why? Shouldnt the programming for the site be on BOTH browsers?

Im aware that IE9 still has plug in issues, but why the lack of "quick links" option on goodle chrome?

I'm guessing Matt created the site before Google Chrome was around - how many of the browsers we're talking about were around in 2006? So it's really up to Chrome (or any other subsequent browsers) to adapt to SF and not the other way around.

Golden28
19-12-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm guessing Matt created the site before Google Chrome was around - how many of the browsers we're talking about were around in 2006? So it's really up to Chrome (or any other subsequent browsers) to adapt to SF and not the other way around.

Regardless, Firefox has no issues at all on this end, reading over the various posts about the difference in browser's and compatibility Firefox in my opinion wins hands down.

Ive never had issues with this site.. come to think of it ive never had any issue with firefox full stop..

Time
21-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Still a pain either way.....

Thanks for the advice guys