PDA

View Full Version : Sorcery in wiccan teology

Chrode
17-12-2011, 05:40 PM
The charge of the goddess says: "There shall ye assemble,
ye who are fain to learn all sorcery,
yet have not won its deepest secrets"

What does sorcery means in wiccan context?
What do you think and what is your experience?

Animus27
18-12-2011, 08:30 PM
You'd probably want to define sorcery from magic and witchcraft in general before you tackle what it means in a Wiccan context.

I'd suspect it's just a synonym for magic(k). Using the words magic and witchcraft over and over makes for lame poetry.

Raymond
19-12-2011, 02:14 PM
In everyday terms or that of Isis or Strega ~ I suggest its just a way to call novices to learn the craft, however in Wicca I suppose it could mean whatever semantic your into.

Bless, Raymond :confused:

Lostgirl
19-12-2011, 02:58 PM
As the next line says;'to these will I teach all things that are as yet unknown. ' Im guessing its about learning the ways from the Goddess herself (kinda rings a bell as to what was being said in another thread).

Fain can mean one of several things depending on its context. It can either mean "willing" or it can mean "someone has to go to obey their lord". Either context can be used here i think as we are all willing to learn but to the same extent if you've had youre calling then thats that. Or it was for me. Although im not wiccan i knew my calling from the offset.

LadyMoondancer
19-12-2011, 05:43 PM
What does sorcery means in wiccan context?
What do you think and what is your experience?

I'm not tellling you what I think OR what my experience is - because you'll just tell me I'm wrong. - so why do you bother asking?

Chrode
20-12-2011, 01:48 AM
You'd probably want to define sorcery from magic and witchcraft in general before you tackle what it means in a Wiccan context.

I'd suspect it's just a synonym for magic(k). Using the words magic and witchcraft over and over makes for lame poetry.

But are sorcery or magic that we don't understand? The mysteries?