PDA

View Full Version : Basic Tarot Question ...

njbr1111
16-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I have a tarot deck at home, and to me it feels like you simply choose the card(s) by whatever means and then look in the reference card to 'understand' the meaning behind the card ...

I know there is much more to it than that, but can someone elaborate ? I have a hard time wrapping around how to really apply tarot to enhance my readings other than "you got card x, card x means 'yada yada what is in the book'.

thanks,
njbr.

Lynn
16-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a tarot deck at home, and to me it feels like you simply choose the card(s) by whatever means and then look in the reference card to 'understand' the meaning behind the card ...

Yes and no. The cards are an extiention or "tool" that can add to one's own levels of intuitions. Many times one will find that the cards finds ye not ye it. What I mean here most times is called "Jumpers" those cards ( usually only one" that will seem to FLY from the deck when shuffling. That to some readers is simply put back in the mix....but I find that is the card that holds the reply one needs.

The reference book for more "Tradaditonal Decks" will follow along the simplar path as other books for other similar decks. The base line meanings will be the same. Where that differs is in specially created decks by an author then the meanings are "Theirs" for the images they created.

When I be doing the readings here the "one question" one's I use two decks and I do take parts of the meaning from the books, but what is noted by some is that there are differerences in the same care for different people. That is where the "intuition" part comes in. That place where ONE feels what the one getting the reading needs to see. I see the book as a "GUIDE" a place to start, and a place to show in the physical where the meajing comes from.

I can easily "Visual" read Tarot but that does not give the person getting the reading that all important phyical showing of a card...and that connection to its meaning on the same level.

I know there is much more to it than that, but can someone elaborate ? I have a hard time wrapping around how to really apply tarot to enhance my readings other than "you got card x, card x means 'yada yada what is in the book'.

thanks,
njbr.

I suggesst that one starts with a very basic deck....a very traditional deck. "The Easy Tarot" comes to mind....looking at the images and feeling what they mean then going to the book to see what is there is a neet way of learning the connections.

I so fought for so many year's doing readings as I never wanted to just sit there and pull cards all day....I have opened to embrace that part of me....in balance now with the Medium side of me...and I do readings and get good feedback that I am blessed with that ability. I do not feel I choose the cards I feel I be the TOOL that is there for the messages to find their path.

To be pure in doing readinds I personally feel that I surreneder to that higher vibrational self and that I connect to the person I am reading with on the most surface of levels....their vibration of name....be is real or user name or I focus on the avitar image they choose. I too trust in me being able to put it forth with compassions and trust that I serve only another higest and greatest good.

Lynn

MYFIGO
16-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I remember how confused I felt when I first started learning! Experience and time will be a great teacher.

I like to shuffle the cards while thinking of my question and then cut the deck and deal off the number of cards required for the reading I am doing. I feel that the cards that are just a way to tap into my intuition.

The cards can have many meanings. Not just what is in the book, although the books will list many possibilities. The meaning of the cards can be very vague and apply to the situation in general... yet sometimes they are eerily accurate.

For example Tuesday, I drew the tower which is reflected as a lightning bolt in my Transparent Tarot deck. I came home from work to find that I only had 50% of my electric power. I called the utility company and they ended up replacing the line to my house but not before I lost full power! LOL

Today, I drew the Tower card again! (I am visiting my son who just had surgery yesterday). As I walked down the hall to his room, I can hear an alarm beeping. Sure enough his monitors were having issues and it took a third unit and an hour to correct the issue!

For me, the tower card often is related to computer, internet and electricity. Only time and experience has helped me to know that.

I have three favorite decks. Each one seems to have it's own personality. I am amazed at how many times I draw a repeat card or even two from different decks. Each morning, I pull three cards from each one and focus on the question... "What will be interesting and revealing about my day?" I keep a journal and write down the cards I draw. By the end of the day, I am able to relate the cards to situations and/or people. This helps me to learn what the cards "can" mean and you are under no pressure to read for someone else.

You will find that certain cards (court cards) will often relate to individuals.

Another great exercise is to meditate and while focusing on a particular card (court cards work great for this) you "step into the card". To do so, just focus on the card and imagine that you are meeting the person whom the card represents. Read the description of the qualities of that card right before you do the meditation. I had some amazing adventures doing this.

One day I was riding with friends and saw two churches across an alley from each other. I thought it curious that they were physically that close and thought "I wonder why those churches are so close to each other!?!"

As we drove by, I "saw" the knight of wands as a statue on top of the roof of one of the buildings. When I looked back, I realized that what I was seeing was the A/C units on the roof... but my mind had translated them into the Knight of Wands and the message was that the church had merely moved. I had begun "thinking" in Tarot.

Occultist
16-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Nicely said Lynn.
I also like the person I am doing the reading for to touch the deck before I lay out the cards. I have a personal deck and another deck I use for people.
I also cleanse that deck after every reading bind them up and seal them in my black velvet bag with a pull cord I made myself for them.

norseman
16-12-2011, 06:28 PM
My deck is Sacred Circle and every card tells story though the detail and leads you to extend the story back and forward in time. The central figure is important but a lot comes from minor details and the corresponding mythology. You have to enter the card yourself and become a part of the story - it's all intuitive !

njbr1111
16-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I have three favorite decks. Each one seems to have it's own personality. I am amazed at how many times I draw a repeat card or even two from different decks. Each morning, I pull three cards from each one and focus on the question... "What will be interesting and revealing about my day?" I keep a journal and write down the cards I draw. By the end of the day, I am able to relate the cards to situations and/or people. This helps me to learn what the cards "can" mean and you are under no pressure to read for someone else.

This sounds like a great idea ... so are you saying I can simply ask the question "What will be interesting and revealing about my day?" shuffle and draw the card, read the definition and then see how that plays out/matches what occurs during the day ?

Occultist
16-12-2011, 06:59 PM
My deck is Sacred Circle and every card tells story though the detail and leads you to extend the story back and forward in time. The central figure is important but a lot comes from minor details and the corresponding mythology. You have to enter the card yourself and become a part of the story - it's all intuitive !
That is my favorite deck.. The cards are so well done and beautiful.
I also like my old stand by the Rider Waite deck.
I collect all forms of divination I couldnt count the amount of Crystal balls I have in my home or tea reading cups either. LOL.

MYFIGO
16-12-2011, 10:53 PM
This sounds like a great idea ... so are you saying I can simply ask the question "What will be interesting and revealing about my day?" shuffle and draw the card, read the definition and then see how that plays out/matches what occurs during the day ?

Yes... that's exactly right!

Here's another fun example: One day I drew the Chariot and Justice, I don't remember the 3rd card. The Chariot can refer to moving forward or sometimes a vehicle. Justice can refer to being getting what you deserve, hopefully being on the right side of the law.

When I finished work, I still didn't know what the cards meant. But as I drove home from work, I saw two squad cars running radar withing 2 blocks of work, another squad car a mile later, an officer directing traffic at the intersection (highly unusual where I live) and an officer standing inside the grocery store I had driven to, waving to indicate the store was closed due to a power failure and yet another officer at a different intersection directing traffic due to same power failure.

At first I thought, "that's what the cards meant", but after more than three events, I was laughing and saying, "OMG". :smile:

Occultist
16-12-2011, 11:43 PM
I never heard of Tarot pictures being taken literally,. Then looking for a similarity through the day. This is a completely new concept for me is this an American way of interpretation? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Confused.svg/120px-Confused.svg.png

MYFIGO
17-12-2011, 03:13 AM
I never heard of Tarot pictures being taken literally,. Then looking for a similarity through the day. This is a completely new concept for me is this an American way of interpretation? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/46/Confused.svg/120px-Confused.svg.png

I don't believe it has anything to do with being American. It is just being open minded and observant. I believe we are all the best experts of our own experiences. So don't be afraid to try something new or different than what you always thought or believed. If it works for you... then perhaps it is right for you.

zmag
05-01-2012, 12:01 PM
IMHO, there are basically 2 kinds of tarot readings.
One way is exactly what you are talking about, you put the cards down in whatever type of spread you like most, find the meaning of the card and combine it with the location in the spread (layout). So for example if you use a Celtic Cross and the bottom card in the cross represents grounding, or the persons stability at home, and the card that lands in that spot is the Devil you might say something like this
"It seems that you have personal issues that you may be burying and you may not even be aware they exist. The Devil indicates restrictions that are self imposed and issues that need to be brought to the surface before they can be resolved. Since the location of this card represents your grounding, it suggests that you need to work on this hidden issue to strengthen your personal foundation and once this is resolved you may find more success in all of your projects."

The second way to read tarot, or any other divination for that matter, is to use your intuition.
This way you are not really reading the cards but instead you are reading the querent with the help of the cards. So imagine that there are three people in a room. You, a person that would like you to do a reading for them, and someone that only speaks Korean (let's name him K). You and the querent don't speak Korean. For some unknown reason K has unlimited knowledge about your querents life, past, present and future. And to make it more exciting only you can see and hear K.
You need to communicate the messages that K has for the querent. So you can lay out your tarot cards K can point to whatever cards will help make his point.
If K wants to talk about the fact that your querent has 5 children he may point to any of the pip cards that are 5s at the same time he points to a card with children on the image.
If he wants to talk about a medical condition of the querent, he may point to a sword card that shows either an injury, bleeding person or a symbol for health.

Now there are ways to have way more symbols on the table then just the cards that you put down. As time goes by you and your personal "K" will develop symbols and signs that mean certain things to you. These can be developed through meditation, doing readings by yourself, doing readings for clients and friends or however you connect with your "K".
You might remember a reading you have done in the past where the Devil in the grounding position appeared the querent went into great detail about being put up for adoption. This story might stick with you and add meaning to the Devil other than whats in the book, the picture and even what other people say about the Devil card at meetings and online.
Maybe at a reading in the future the Devil card will come up and you will be compelled to talk about adoption.
Again, with time and I suppose your level of intuition, your communication with K will get easier and you will find that K is now able to tap into your memory bank and show you things that relate to the reading you are doing. K may be able to put a slight bit of pressure on your right knee if he is trying to tell you that the querent has right knee issues, K can even allow you to smell something like cigarettes or perfume if it is needed to get a message to the querent.

Obviously K is different for everyone and finding your K and communicating with K will likely take the rest of your life, but it will lead you to places you never imaged existed.

I apologize if i went off track but it is sometimes hard to describe intuition. Good luck with your readings, you are at a very fun time in the process.