PDA

View Full Version : Time Flucuations

CoffeeGem
15-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

Something weird happened this week when I traveled. So I am on a plane the other day headed to Florida and I turn on my cell. The time displayed was an hour earlier than it should have been. It was 1:04 and the phone had 12:04. My mom turned on her phone and it displayed the correct time.

When we landed I turned on the phone again and it said it was adjusting to the new time zone. I never left the east coast so there was no need for the time to change.

That evening I am watching the news and realize it's the news from Illinois, not Florida. So we are like, what is going on? I checked the time difference from Illinois to Florida and it is 1 hour behind. Just like my cell was earlier.

Insights much appreciated.

Thanks,
CoffeeGem

vulkus
15-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Well your phone works of satellite updates if it can't find a repeater tower. So it is possible that it was updating from one of these.
Also you aren't supposed to turn your phone on in a plane unless you have flight or offline mode.
It could be that the plane has a suppressing agent the suppresses telecommunications.

SerpentQueen
15-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Vulkus gives a plausible explanation for your watch, but not for the news broadcast.

CoffeeGem
15-12-2011, 10:50 PM
vulkus - My phone has airplane mode and I am aware you cannot turn on an electronic device until they say it's okay. Lol. I am more than sure a flight attendant would have tackled me to the ground for that.

SerpentQueen - I agree with you. I can't find one reason why my tv in Florida would find Illiniois news more fascinating than what is going on in its own state. Lol. It was cool and made me think. I am happy with the notion of all of it.

SerpentQueen
16-12-2011, 12:39 AM
I just love it when things like this happen! Time doesn't exist. It's a human construct. You were being given a glimpse of this. Totally cool! There are some really neat things you can do with time, when you let go of your belief that it exists. That's all I'm going to say. You'll have to experiment on your own. Have fun!

SerpentQueen
16-12-2011, 12:40 AM
(Yes, I'm just having fun with you ... could not resist!)

vulkus
16-12-2011, 10:51 AM
The tv transmission could be a simple transmitting error from the station. You know they are all affiliated. It could be that your local station accidently broadcast news for another area, it does happen. I have first hand info to tell you it happens all the time, glitches are not uncommon.
It is possible that because you thought you realised something your mind became attuned to finding more similarities which also happens.