PDA

View Full Version : Archeology

norseman
10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Been a good day for digging things up.
First, there was the "witch" cottage in Leicestershire but now comes a 6000 year-old domi - Earth Mother stauette in the banks of the River Somme. Although common around the Mediterranean, this is the furthest North that one has been discovered. It gives further evidence of a faith based on the worship of an Earth-Mother or Hearth goddess in the Neo/Mesolithic.

Also, in the East Anglian Fens [UK], wooden boats, spears, swords, and clothing have been unearthed. Bronze Age items preserved in silt and peat of a dried-up river bed. Date ~ 800 BC

More ? In Kent [UK], a Bronze Age hoard of tools, weapons, ornaments, and ingots dated around 850 BC has been discovered by Metal Detecterists.

Now, where did I put my spade ? :D

WhiteWarrior
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Don't forget that viking grave that popped up complete in England recently.

Time
10-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Norseman - I fyou walk the temes in london, the odds are youll find old loot, bottles, money and jewlery

norseman
10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi Time, I used to work for a company on the Thames and we had a jetty in the river. Some people used to fish for crabs and shrimp there by baiting a milk crate covered in muslin cloth. They caught quite a lot of crustaceans and often old bottles. Lots of bottle-blowing companies on the river going back centuries :smile:

norseman
10-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Don't forget that viking grave that popped up complete in England recently.

And that huge Saxon hoard last year. :smile:

Best I have ever found were a few Roman coins, not rare but special to me :smile:

glenos
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I have a few silver hammered coins. One being a Henry V. Little works of art they are.

G