PDA

View Full Version : The Thing

hawkmoth65
09-12-2011, 07:59 PM
John Carpenter's version (1982)

I personally love this film after reading the novel that came out at the same time.I know it's a remake in itself but the claustrophobic atmosphere is incredible,not knowing just who has been infected and who is ok.I like the storyline too,an alien spacecraft crash-landing about 10,000 years ago in Antarctica,being frozen solid until it is cut out of the ice by Norwegian scientists who then really wish they hadn't.

Any other fans of the film?

WhiteWarrior
09-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Here! Here! I love that movie to bits and pieces! :)

Aiki Pete
10-12-2011, 12:55 AM
One of my fav's, big fan of john carpenter too.

Theres a really good analysis on YT by a dude called 'rob ager'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw

n2mec
10-12-2011, 02:54 PM
For me, I enjoyed seeing the many aspects of our self. that part of ourself we tend to stay away from if we can. How our miss trust for each other looking for the bad with in.

its been said that a species to achive interstellar galactic travel has had to evolve into a peaceful race. can not have one with out the others. humanity may prove that wrong, we shall see.

Internal Queries
10-12-2011, 02:59 PM
the puppetry is excellent! i especially like the Head Thing. LOL!

Aiki Pete
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
The effects were so organic, it scarred me in a way cgi can never do.

I like how the movies alien was like a parasite that imitated human/earth life, seems possible as I cant understand why there are 'people' out there who look/seem human but kill for pleasure..not that the alien in 'the thing' killed for pleasure.

Mountain-Goat
11-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Yep, another fav of mine.
I saw it once or twice a long time ago, then told my kids when they were older i would let them watch the scariest movie ever.
.They were just in double digit ages and and at the end they complained that it was so lame.
Their generation was used to more visually scary stuff than The Think, so they just weren't imersed in the movie.

Hoiwever, I recently bought a remake of The Thing with Mary Elisabeth Winstead in it.
It's set at the norwegian base camp where the dog ran away from that arrives at the american camp in the original version.
The story is basically the same, but it happens in the norwegian camp, and the transformation sequences are way more realistic, so some parts are scarier, but John Carpenter's remains scary for me still.