PDA

View Full Version : Is ritual essential to magic?

Neville
09-12-2011, 06:51 PM
You can alter the spelling of magic to suit your preference/initiation as you see wise:smile:

It has over the years become apparent to me that thought and word are as potent as ritual in delivering outcomes..

I have an Athame, Candles, Essences, Boline, Herbs, Representations of the triple Goddess, holed stones, Swords,Wands and most all the instuments necessary for ritual magic, but find I don't really make use of them. As both thought and word seems sufficient alone :smile:

sesheta
09-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Good question :)
I tend to agree that most of the "tools", etc don't seem to matter as much as the intent. All the rituals, and candles, crystals, etc in the world won't affect the outcome as much as the clarity, intention and heart that you put into the magic! What I have noticed is that I sometimes don't need to bother with any of that stuff at all; I have simply sat and made very sincere, heart-felt requests of the Goddess - and those are the ones that seem to turn out the best:) Everyone has certain things they connect with - for me it's my athame, and stones....but I don't always find it necessary to do a stylized "ritual" for everything - sometimes it just distracts me from the intent. Kind of like the song "When You Wish Upon A Star":
If your heart is in your dreams- no request is too extreme" :)
(oh, and I believe in wishing on stars, too - I've done it and it's worked!)

Squatchit
09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Hiya Neville and all

Ritual is a nice 'routine' I use. An A to B if you like. However, it isn't necessary. As sesheta mentioned, intent, clarity and heart are the keys. :smile:

I choose to use rituals as they focus my intent. And make it feel more 'potent'.

A thought (which for me is the strongest magic) is captured by a ritual and used in whatever way is needed/wanted.

:smile:

norseman
09-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Life consists of a series of rituals :smile:

Rituals in magic though, that's something different. I just make them up as I go. It's the mental processes that matter.

Neville
09-12-2011, 09:06 PM
good answers..Thank you.

Occultist
09-12-2011, 11:24 PM
first lets define ritual:rit∑u∑al   
1. an established or prescribed procedure for a religious or other rite.
2. a system or collection of religious or other rites.
3. observance of set forms in public worship.
4. a book of rites or ceremonies.
5. a book containing the offices to be used by priests in administering the sacraments and for visitation of the sick, burial of the dead, etc.

Rituals are more common use in Wicca but Witches do sometimes do so also.
Wiccan is a religion and Witchcraft is not.
So rituals have nothing to do with magick weaving in any way shape or form.
Magick comes from within and from nature around us. We are taught ways to manipulate conjure and cast spells,hex's and sometimes curses from these energies. Ritual would be more for worshiping a diety. Remember a Spell is not a prayer or something to be repeated like say the Lords prayer its a way of making things work for you with you and be better for it.

norseman
10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
"So rituals have nothing to do with magick weaving in any way shape or form.
Magick comes from within and from nature around us."

[nods] Ritual in that sense then becomes a means of producing a certain mind-set :smile:. An opening of a channel to receive and use Earth energies.

Raymond
10-12-2011, 09:16 AM
My own view {very simple as usual}

Ritual in magic is like preparing food

If you use wholesome ingredients and an adequate method you will have a enjoyable and sustaining experience

If you donít you may end up with a bad taste in your mouth or unwell

You could of course not bother at all and die of starvation

Bless, Raymond :smile:

Neville
10-12-2011, 01:48 PM
In the old way, We do find druids and midwives, wise women. each doubtlessly very gifted in the uses of herbs and the preparations of tinctures and infusions So I really do relate to Raymond's preparation of food analogy.
The ritual is in this case doubtlessly the preparation. So the place for ritual is apparent and has been parodied with all eye of newt malarky...

Anyway the importance of ritual in the preparation of remedies and I suppose poisons is evident. Thus we see its history.

However I most often find myself falling into another category of Celt, One who weaves his enchantments in words. I refer to the bardic tradition. Having very limited knowledge of other kinds of magic. I feel that the bardic tradition in whatever form, under whatever name is preferred, The way of the Bard is the one most widely used and the one that seems to produce immediate results... Reminds me of that old joke.

How do you start an argument on line?
Express an opinion and wait. :smile:

The oral tradition does predate the written word , however the written word is now of great assistance in the preservation of the oral tradition and can send the words far and wide.

Journalists know this. Their articles often designed to create a reaction a feeling. Authors and songwriters make excellent use of it.

Is it a type of potent and powerful magic though?...I think so . and a truly exceptional way of expressing the magic within you, without the use of ritual.

If you say to a person , for example.."My you don't look very well today" You start a chain reaction.

Then again, If you say to someone "Wow , you look great" Once again a chain reaction is set in motion.

Anyway. That's my piece said , thanks for reading as ever :hug3:

Enya
10-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Ritual focuses the mind and the will, taking it into and creating a sacred space where one can honour the energies called upon. If you wanted to manifest something in your life, you'd maybe write a list of wants, decide on goals, actions... to get the best results, you'd try to focus on each stage and make sure you're on the right track. Same with ritual. Then, when you've worked with it for a while... you can ignore it all and just get on with it!

Occultist
11-12-2011, 04:31 AM
"So rituals have nothing to do with magick weaving in any way shape or form.
Magick comes from within and from nature around us."

[nods] Ritual in that sense then becomes a means of producing a certain mind-set :smile:. An opening of a channel to receive and use Earth energies.
Yes but having a proper mindset for witchcraft has nothing to do with Rituals they way it was defined that I first wrote.

Occultist
11-12-2011, 04:37 AM
You are correct in a way Neville my Gma was a midwife and had certain things she would do to ward off spirits before she helped with a birth.
Herb's Magick can be seen as a ritual yes or like how I hex my house the symbols in the Hex's that I draw can be seen I suppose as ritual but if there not preforming this for a diety but to simply weave then I personally do not see it as a "Ritual" I see Wiccan's more drawn to the Ritual side dont you?
Please keep in mind opinion are like Elbows everyone has there own. LOL

norseman
11-12-2011, 09:24 AM
"Yes but having a proper mindset for witchcraft has nothing to do with Rituals they way it was defined that I first wrote."

:D There is a wide gulf in "opinions" on either side of the Atlantic :D
I agree that there is a requirement for a certain "mind-set" in the general sense but, on top of that, there is a need for specific paths/channels to produce the desired aims. These will vary according to locations.

Neville
11-12-2011, 01:17 PM
The effectiveness of ritual far out reaches the world of wicca of course, some folk maintain they cannot begin their day without their coffee. This to me is a form of ritual. Is it a kind of magic? It certainly seems to set the practitioner up for the day:smile:

Some ritualistic behavior is positively essential , for example washing one's hands before dealing with food or after using the bathroom, Rituals we cannot really do without.

I am inclined to think that in certain respects , ritual is essential while in other matters ritual may be more for re inforcement of the intent. And having read further in this thread , would go on to suggest that in many cases, ritual is a personal choice

There was never a right or wrong answer anyway, I was interested to read others views on the matter however. :smile:

Lostgirl
11-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I dont like to prethink (is that a word) rituals, I like Norsey, llike to make them up as i go along :) hasnt failed me yet so i cant complain :D

norseman
11-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Good on yer, Canny Lass ! [that's a Geordie compliment :D:D]

Occultist
11-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Good on yer, Canny Lass ! [that's a Geordie compliment :D:D]
heh.. You suprise me everyday Norse :wink:

Neville I wouldnt call washing your hands before cooking or after going to the bathroom a ritual I call it hygiene. What I think of as a ritual might not be what you think a ritual is. You say Potato I say Tattie. LOL:smile: