PDA

View Full Version : can you explain what is the "higher self" in simple words?

dena
02-12-2011, 07:03 PM
english isn't my first language so i didn't get what exactly is the "higher self"
can you explain it please?

BlueSky
02-12-2011, 07:06 PM
english isn't my first language so i didn't get what exactly is the "higher self"

I look at it as what is underneath the costume I wear. The costume is the human condition. :smile:

mattie
02-12-2011, 08:35 PM
It’s great that you’re asking questions about this. Keep asking about whatever isn’t clear or is an unfamiliar term or idea & it is likely that someone will put it in a way that you connect w/.

As we learn more about our nonphysical body (spirit/soul) we define the different parts of it. For 1000s of years eastern religion has recognized that our nonphysical energies have specific energy pathways that are meridians & chakras that are energy centers. Acupuncture & other eastern-based energy methods work w/ these energy pathways & energy centers. We are finding out that our energies extend beyond our immediate personal energy field, our aura. Our higher self (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=254418#post254418) (HS) is part of these energies.

Our spirit is part of an extended energy field. The part of it that is here as the individual is one part of our larger spirit that has chosen to experience individuality. This part of the spirit is often called an aspect. We have other parts of our extended energies that are having different experiences. For instance we can have other aspects that are experiencing life here as a different race or gender. Further along in our journey, all of the individual parts of our spirit reunite into a merged spirit that is called our Soul Family, SELF, or Oversoul.

HS is the first part of our spirit that is at a level that is not affected by our earthly ups & downs. It is where we begin to connect w/ our I AM presence or our godself awareness. This I AM presence/godself is not affected by negative emotions like fear & is an enlightened awareness. This being enlightened is like what is called in different cultures the Christ consciousness or Buddha consciousness.

Uma
02-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi dena,

Higher self is you identifying or expressing yourself with your higher qualities. Lower self is you identifying or expressing yourself with your lower qualities. It's all one you.

rsingh
03-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Higher self can be defined as the self which has more influence on your activities than that which is obvious. Most of the humans perceives themselves as their body. So you can call body as the lowest self. Body is run by our mind. So you can call mind as relatively higher self than the body. Mind is run by spirit. So you can call spirit as the higher self. Spirit is formless in which everything exists. So you can call spirit as the highest self. Many spiritual teachers or enlightened masters have described many divisions between mind and spirit for the purposes of analysis such as chakras, aura etc. But all these can be considered as part of the mind. So broadly all of it can be fundementaly divided into three parts which is body, mind and spirit for the sake of analysis because actually it is all one operating in unison.

Skye
03-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Higher self contains our soul experiences. It connects us to the world of spirit and to the Divine/God and also to the spark of Divinity within us.

TzuJanLi
03-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Greetings..

We exist as individual manifestations of a Whole.. the 'higher self' is the realization of our Wholeness through our individuality.. it is easier described as a 'Single-Self', a 'local' awareness of the single-self, and a non-local (everywhere) awareness of a Whole self..

Be well..

Xan
03-12-2011, 02:43 AM
can you explain what is the "higher self" in simple words?

Here's the simplest way I can say it, dena.

Your higher self is your spirit or soul, your inner being.

Your lower self is your body and mind and life story, and identifying them as 'me'.

Xan

Uma
03-12-2011, 03:06 AM
Just to add that "higher" is not about space but about speed of vibration, "faster". High and low are illusions.

We vibrate faster when we are tapping into the source of our being, the source of all goodness, love, peace, self-mastery, wisdom and joy.

pre-dawn
03-12-2011, 04:20 AM
The higher self is made up from your highest aspirations, wishes, visions, ideas, concepts we humans are capable of. 'Highest' means that it is universal, self-less (ego-less), uplifting, nurturing, developing, supporting, creating.

Thinker108
03-12-2011, 04:49 AM
If you want simple don’t ask to explain. It is the simplest answer.

psychoslice
03-12-2011, 05:55 AM
I can't tell you what the higher Self is, but I can point you to it, find out all that you are not, then you will find out who you truly are, but only you can do that.

pre-dawn
03-12-2011, 07:31 AM
I can't tell you what the higher Self is, but I can point you to it, find out all that you are not, then you will find out who you truly are, but only you can do that.
That would get you to the non-self, which by definition has no 'you' or 'self' part.

I totally disagree with you, we can talk about and know our personal higher selves. If that would not be possibly we would all be in mortal danger.

3dnow
03-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Higher self is your soul, it has the following qualities:

1. No fear no resistance
2. Pure unconditional love
3. Wisdom (the creator of the universe - mind doesn't understand this)

mattie
03-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Higher doesn't mean better or mean that self (individuality) is lower. Higher isn't describing that it is better.

Jyotir
03-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi dena,

"Higher Self" is the Spirit in the person.

- - - - -

'Higher Self' is part of individual being, 'God's representative', the soul, 'jivatman' - that is fully and permanently aware of its Divinity.

The 'lower' part of being (ego/mind/'personality'), is ignorant of its Divinity.

With spiritual aspiration and dedicated practice, the lower becomes illumined, transformed, realizes and surrenders to the Higher and becomes its instrument.

~ J

Uma
04-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Higher Self is all that is left when your little petty, selfish, annoying, negative, worrisome thoughts, feelings and intentions move out of the way and in that space of silence something beautiful and much wiser emerges.

God-Like
04-12-2011, 09:14 AM

Hi dena .

Perhaps there Is only self .

x daz x

TzuJanLi
04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Greetings..

Although i don't understand why the term, "Higher Self" is used, i understand that it refers to the 'You' that is Eternal.. while 'You' are temporarily physical, you have always been and will always be.. We/us/Life are part of a Greater Whole that is Eternal, that Greater Whole is what i think of when someone says, "Higher Self".. All of it, we are that..

Be well..

krishna
04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Moving from human consciousnesses through many phases to Divine conciseness.
Then still appearing to fit in the world as a human.
Helping where possible.
Only the truth.
Krishna.

Miss Hepburn
04-12-2011, 03:43 PM
HS, higher self, is the first part of our spirit that is at a level that is not affected by our earthly ups & downs.
It is where we begin to connect w/ our I AM presence or our godself awareness. This I AM presence/godself is not affected by negative emotions like fear & is an enlightened awareness.
This being enlightened is like what is called in different cultures the Christ consciousness or Buddha consciousness.
This was very clear to me, the way you explained it.
:smile:

Miss Hepburn
04-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Higher Self is all that is left when your little petty, selfish, annoying, negative, worrisome thoughts, feelings and intentions move out of the way and in that space of silence something beautiful and much wiser emerges.
This too! So well put.

Great thread. So many great posts!

SupernaturalSleuth
04-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I think the simplest way to put it is, your "higher self" is the non-physical, spirit part of you that is directly linked to universal consciousness, the original creator, God –– whatever term you're comfortable using. It's your personal link back to the original source of us all. It is perfect, divine, never-ending, and not limited by anything physical.

Also, it is not a part of any one particular religion (which is an Earthly, man-made idea) but supersedes all. (That's why I hesitate to say "God" because that tends to sound like property of the Christianity kingdom.)

Heart
04-12-2011, 07:30 PM
i was inclined not to answer this thread for the simple fact.... words CANNOT explain what the higher self is.

there just remains the question...

the fact you are asking what is a higher self suggests you are already aware of something that ALLREADY IS
it just remains to be expressed.

Uma
04-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Will try to explain lower self to make higher self notion clearer...

If you believe that the soul is not the body but that which inhabits the body, you can appreciate that the body has an intelligence of its own, survival instinct, mating instinct, self-preservation, a desire for pleasure and all that. The soul on the other hand looks God-ward, looks for expansion, looks for freedom. But the soul needs the physical body in order to walk on the earth, and have the five senses in which to experience this plane of existence. So the soul is influenced by the body and its own wishes. When this happens the soul becomes tainted by a simpler creature that is on a lower scale of evolution. Every tiny cell is a creature and the human body is composed of 50 trillion cells that make up this collective intelligence.

The soul also lives in a mental body and part of that is full of memories of the past - full of conditioned ways of thinking and feeling and reacting. When something triggers these habits into action, the soul is again influenced by something other than its higher nature.

When we interact with other beings we absorb what comes from them as well. Sometimes negative stuff comes in and if we are not sufficiently self-aware, we think that is "our stuff" not somebody else's "stuff" and once again the soul is influenced by that.

So these three are the main ones: the downward pull of the body and its desires, the downward pull of past conditioning of the soul itself, and the downward pull of negative energies coming from others. When you, the soul, allow yourself to be influenced by these three, you will manifest lower self qualities. We have intelligence and intuition and guides to help bring us out of this lower consciousness. And that is also what spiritual discipline is all about...to bring us into a higher view of things and not to be influenced by the lower.

There is more to it than that (haven't even mentioned chakra development here) but this is basically it. Then there is planetary influence, karma influence and more.... That's why life is sometimes referred to as a battlefield!:icon_eek:

Xan
04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Higher Self = the pure essence of You.

Xan

TzuJanLi
04-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Greetings..

Higher Self = the pure essence of You.

Xan
You ARE the pure essence of 'you'..

Be well..

hybrid
05-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Greetings..

You ARE the pure essence of 'you'..

Be well..

prove it ! ~~~~~

TzuJanLi
05-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Greetings..

prove it ! ~~~~~
No, i have come to realize that, here, the standard is that anyone can say anything and proof is not a necessary component for it to be believed, so accept it or don't.. and, its truth is not dependent on your acceptance or lack thereof.. cheers!!

Be well..

Gem
05-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Ya gotta laugh ay? I mean higher self = the pure essence of you... as though that's actually even an explanation of something. tee hee

hybrid
05-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Greetings..

No, i have come to realize that, here, the standard is that anyone can say anything and proof is not a necessary component for it to be believed, so accept it or don't.. and, its truth is not dependent on your acceptance or lack thereof.. cheers!!

Be well..
Wel its hard to prove when you make statements like you are you or that the essence of me is I. There is notmuch distinction to go around to really make sense of meaning of the words. Butif you have taken that for granted asif the word is commonly understood. . . Then what is the point of stating it?

Humm
05-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Ya gotta laugh ay? I mean higher self = the pure essence of you... as though that's actually even an explanation of something. tee hee
It means something to me.

And I have to say I think you are the first person I've met who does service at a temple that comes away with less humility when he's done - which I thought all along was the point of the exercise.

Feel free to laugh at that.

Moonglow
05-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Hello,

Being a bit unconventional here.

"Higher-self" and "Lower-self" seem to me to be of a teaching.

What one holds sacred or divine and strives to achieve, seems to be associated with a "Higher-self". Usually considered Spirit or "Essence".

"Lower-self" seems to relate to the physical formation.

To me it is all of what makes up the self. No division.

Nothing to obtain only what one chooses to. Just listen and pay attention to what life reveals.

One has more potential then one may realize. Will know when it resonates or not and that is what will be ones truth.

It is all of what is created and one is of it.

Sorry if I got a little preachy.

Just expressing how I see it at this time. Not to discourage the discussion.

Peace to you

Xan
05-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Oddly enough when we 'strive' to go higher we are actually lower...
in the mind that believes we have to try hard to become what we already are, but forgot.

Rising higher happens as we become lighter, by letting go all the time.

Xan

hybrid
05-12-2011, 01:41 AM
At least higher can be distinguished from lower. There is at least some reference point.

But to define a word using the sameword? Thats the funny one.

Humm
05-12-2011, 01:46 AM
...But to define a word using the sameword? Thats the funny one.
Point. ....

Gem
05-12-2011, 01:47 AM
It means something to me.

And I have to say I think you are the first person I've met who does service at a temple that comes away with less humility when he's done - which I thought all along was the point of the exercise.

Feel free to laugh at that.

Screw humility! People just pretend service is a great spiritual work to inflate their own balloons man, but for me it's a way to provide a place where people can just stop. Why would it make me more humble? Now I can come here and enjoy the parade as 'enlightened ones' draw attention to themselves. Who's humble after all?

Life is irony and paradox.

The way I see it is ... everyone takes a **** and humility is closing the door.

Xan
05-12-2011, 01:47 AM
So Gem... Are you saying you haven't yet experienced the pure essence of yourself?

If you'll look it's hidden underneath your cynicism.

Xan

TzuJanLi
05-12-2011, 01:54 AM
Greetings..

Wel its hard to prove when you make statements like you are you or that the essence of me is I. There is notmuch distinction to go around to really make sense of meaning of the words. Butif you have taken that for granted asif the word is commonly understood. . . Then what is the point of stating it?
Please.. do both of us a favor, try to understand that i have no intention of proving anything, now isn't that better.. ? you're looking for conflict, and.. well.. look elsewhere.. i've got nothing to prove, i'm just right, so there's nothing to prove..

The point of stating anything is to state it.. to be right and to have people tell you you're right, and how much they adore you for being right, right?

Be well..

Xan
05-12-2011, 01:57 AM
There they go again.........

See ya'

Xan

Etu Malku
05-12-2011, 01:57 AM
can you explain it please?Higher Self is our consciousness in the Subjective Universe.

TzuJanLi
05-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Greetings..

There they go again.........

See ya'

Xan
Are you leaving, Xan?

If so, Be well..

Humm
05-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Screw humility! People just pretend service is a great spiritual work to inflate their own balloons man, but for me it's a way to provide a place where people can just stop. Why would it make me more humble? Now I can come here and enjoy the parade as 'enlightened ones' draw attention to themselves. Who's humble after all?

Life is irony and paradox.

The way I see it is ... everyone takes a **** and humility is closing the door.
Where people can just stop? Are you saying you hope to draw peace out of the experience - because I don't see you taking much of that home either.

hybrid
05-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Where people can just stop? Are you saying you hope to draw peace out of the experience - because I don't see you taking much of that home either.
Gem himself is engaged in hisown brand of guru game.

Jules
05-12-2011, 03:27 AM
Er, can we keep it at least civil please and get back on topic?

Thanks
Jules

TzuJanLi
05-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Greetings..

There is just 'Self'.. it is not divisible into higher/lower categories, except as a mental exercise.. if the Self vibrates at higher or lower frequencies, is it not the same Self that is vibrating?

If Self is focusing its awareness on its temporary physical manifestation or on its eternal intangible Energetic Existence, is it not the same Self focusing its awareness?

So, as a mental exercise, creating a preferred illusion of higher/lower might be a means of creating other related illusions.. it is the 'Self' that chooses to describe itself in categories which it knows, internally, to be misrepresenting the actuality.. similar to speaking about one's self in the third person vernacular..

Be well..

Jules
05-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Thanks Bob :)

From the way I understand the Higher self, it's the YOU - all that ever has been, all that is, and all that ever will be. Talking vibrationally, Bob's right imo. Whether your vibration's raised or lowered, or you've stepped into a different aspect of 'self' .. it's all one and the same - Self.

Ok, just my two pennorth for what it's worth :/

A peaceful mind.
05-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Thanks Bob :)

From the way I understand the Higher self, it's the YOU - all that ever has been, all that is, and all that ever will be. Talking vibrationally, Bob's right imo. Whether your vibration's raised or lowered, or you've stepped into a different aspect of 'self' .. it's all one and the same - Self.

Ok, just my two pennorth for what it's worth :/
Hey I WAS JUST GOING TO WRITE THAT!

Lol :O)

There are many kinds of energies we can tap into some are lower and others are higher.

Etu Malku
06-12-2011, 02:29 AM
As I see it, and I disagree to a degree, there are two existences, our objective universe (all the known universe, physical/material aspects, formula, laws, principles, etc. And the subjective universe (the unknown, the immaterial, non-physical, imaginative, mind consciousness, etc.

The Higher Self is of the subjective universe and we are from the dumbed down, slower vibratory frequencies that Cymatics scientifically evidences.

There is not only One Self, there are three. The original/true Self, and the two dualistic reflections of the true Self that trickle down in frequency into a physical manifestation in order for the the true Self to be conscious of its Self.

TzuJanLi
06-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Greetings..

As I see it, and I disagree to a degree, there are two existences, our objective universe (all the known universe, physical/material aspects, formula, laws, principles, etc. And the subjective universe (the unknown, the immaterial, non-physical, imaginative, mind consciousness, etc.

The Higher Self is of the subjective universe and we are from the dumbed down, slower vibratory frequencies that Cymatics scientifically evidences.

There is not only One Self, there are three. The original/true Self, and the two dualistic reflections of the true Self that trickle down in frequency into a physical manifestation in order for the the true Self to be conscious of its Self.
Is it not the same 'Self' that experiences all of its characters, the same 'actor' playing different roles?

Be well..

Free4ever
06-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I respect Xan highly. If she doesn't want to comment she won't. She replies what she feel is necessary and doesn't get into egotistical behavior. She's the most evolved person on this entire forum. I highly respect her. She speaks truth and nothing less. She sticks with the Same content in her words, because the truth about awareness comes with simplicity. Its all very simple. Minds have a heck of a hard time discovering this simplicity of being.

Humm
06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Greetings..

There is just 'Self'.. it is not divisible into higher/lower categories, except as a mental exercise.. if the Self vibrates at higher or lower frequencies, is it not the same Self that is vibrating?

If Self is focusing its awareness on its temporary physical manifestation or on its eternal intangible Energetic Existence, is it not the same Self focusing its awareness?

So, as a mental exercise, creating a preferred illusion of higher/lower might be a means of creating other related illusions.. it is the 'Self' that chooses to describe itself in categories which it knows, internally, to be misrepresenting the actuality.. similar to speaking about one's self in the third person vernacular..

Be well..
You admit to an 'eternal intangible existence', yet this is not 'higher' to you?

Are you 'aware' of your 'eternal intangible existence' right now Tzu, or are you aware of your 'temporary physical manifestation'? If you are not aware of your 'eternal intangible existence', does that then mean no one else can, in your view?

If it's 'intangible' to you does that necessarily make it so for the rest of humanity?

Do you believe we have a 'soul' Tzu?

Moraden
06-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Collective memories of all your past lives. Simple as I can put it...

Humm
06-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I respect Xan highly. If she doesn't want to comment she won't. She replies what she feel is necessary and doesn't get into egotistical behavior. She's the most evolved person on this entire forum. I highly respect her. She speaks truth and nothing less. She sticks with the Same content in her words, because the truth about awareness comes with simplicity. Its all very simple. Minds have a heck of a hard time discovering this simplicity of being.
Oh dear - now you're going to get a looong 'Simplicity' lecture from Tzu. :tongue:

Actually, there is something very Yin and Yang about Tzu and Xan. Yin-yang, shade-light, masculine-feminine, physical-ethereal, inellectual-emotional. Even their names I pronounce similarly ('Zoo' and 'Zan').

It's interesting how their ideologies permeate and to some degree even separate this forum. Are you a Tzu or are you a Xan? The answer goes right along with your own view of things.

That said, I agree with the above post - so I guess that makes me a Xan. :D :hug3:

So sorry Tzu - nothing personal! :smile:

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 01:51 PM
You admit to an 'eternal intangible existence', yet this is not 'higher' to you?

Are you 'aware' of your 'eternal intangible existence' right now Tzu, or are you aware of your 'temporary physical manifestation'? If you are not aware of your 'eternal intangible existence', does that then mean no one else can, in your view?

If it's 'intangible' to you does that necessarily make it so for the rest of humanity?

Do you believe we have a 'soul' Tzu?

If I may share something........

Along the path I walked, I sensed that if something is so or true then I would have experienced it or come to know it.
I feel that it actually is a healthy outlook unless I use it to judge others... but that happens......we are human. When I notice it happening, I recognize it and let it go.
In the end, it all came to pass (what others knew that I didn't) without me even noticing where or how or why. Life is very humbling.
It's all good.
Just thought I'd share this energy............thanks.
James

Humm
06-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Collective memories of all your past lives. Simple as I can put it...
So true. Anecdotal evidence is always suspect - but a whole planet of anecdotal evidence needs to be taken a much closer look at, IMO! :D

Humm
06-12-2011, 01:57 PM

Along the path I walked, I sensed that if something is so or true then I would have experienced it or come to know it.
I feel that it actually is a healthy outlook unless I use it to judge others... but that happens......we are human. When I notice it happening, I recognize it and let it go.
In the end, it all came to pass (what others knew that I didn't) without me even noticing where or how or why. Life is very humbling.
It's all good.
James
Thank you for sharing that James. :smile:

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Oh dear - now your are going to get looong a 'Simplicity' lecture from Tzu. :tongue:

Actually, there is something very Yin and Yang between Tzu and Xan. Yin-yang, shade-light, masculine-feminine, physical-ethereal, inellectual-emotional. Even their names I pronounce similarly ('Zoo' and 'Zan').

It's interesting how their ideologies permeate and to some degree even separate this forum. Are you a Tzu or are you a Xan? The answer goes right along with your own view of things.

That said, I agree with the above post - so I guess that makes me a Xan. :D :hug3:

So sorry Tzu - nothing personal! :smile:

Here is how I see it......
What Tzu brings is a sensibility and grounded-ness to how he walks the spiritual path. His feet are planted firmly.
What Xan brings is her experience or knowing that there is something beyond the mind. A lofti-ness if you will.

The space between them is where I want to be..........and I am grateful that they created it for me.
Blessings, James

Humm
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Here is how I see it......
What Tzu brings is a sensibility and grounded-ness to how he walks the spiritual path. His feet are planted firmly.
What Xan brings is her experience or knowing that there is something beyond the mind. A lofti-ness if you will.

The space between them is where I want to be..........and I am grateful that they created it for me.
Blessings, James
Well said James.

I wonder though, while I agree it is good to have one's feet planted firmly on the ground (for me), I wonder how one can properly keep their feet on the spiritual path if their head is not in a higher place?

That is what I try to do - so I think we are not so different after all. :smile:

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Well said James.

I wonder though, while I agree it is good to have one's feet planted firmly on the ground (for me), I wonder how one can properly keep their feet on the spiritual path if their head is not in a higher place?

That is what I try to do - so I think we are not so different after all. :smile:

I relate fully because my marriage (one whose head was in the clouds) to someone well grounded (my wife), helped me to find the balance between them. (and it helped her become more balanced)
But now it isn't even about the balance between them. It is about the empty space between them.
So it's all good IMO.

Blessings, James

Humm
06-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks again. Wow, can I relate with my first marriage as well.

I would like to point out a nuance between 'Head in the clouds' and 'Head in a higher place'. The first implies a certain unconsciousness, while the latter implies an expanded consciousness.

In my view, anyway.

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks again. Wow, can I relate with my first marriage as well.

I would like to point out a nuance between 'Head in the clouds' and 'Head in a higher place'. The first implies a certain unconsciousness, while the latter implies an expanded consciousness.

In my view, anyway.

I hear you. It could have come across that way......and I understand how it could be taken wrong.............
The thing is, while I agree it could be taken that way, for me, in that space, there is neither. :smile:

Blessings, James

Free4ever
06-12-2011, 02:29 PM
It's good to hear a post from you whiteshamon. This is Moke. I was once lost, but now I'm found.

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 02:32 PM
It's good to hear a post from you whiteshamon. This is Moke. I was once lost, but now I'm found.

Thanks Moke.........:hug3:

Lost or found, I still love ya........:smile:

Blessings, James

Free4ever
06-12-2011, 02:32 PM

It's all good.
James
My own view it is. Lol it is the ying yang of the two. I relate to Xan the most. Tzu points out the facts of the matter from a scientific approach to it all.

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
My own view it is. Lol it is the ying yang of the two. I relate to Xan the most. Tzu points out the facts of the matter from a scientific approach to it all.

And thank God he does bring a grounded approach, otherwise how else will people who post here with health issues hear that maybe they should go see a doctor.....
What if all they heard was it's meant to be, just let it do it's thing........lol

Balance......:smile:

Humm
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
...Tzu points out the facts of the matter from a scientific approach to it all.
Yes - from a 5-sense view.

Humm
06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
And thank God he does bring a grounded approach, otherwise how else will people who post here with heath issues hear that they should go see a doctor.
What if all they heard was it's meant to be let it do it's thing........lol

Balance......:smile:
I eagerly await Xan's response to this. :smile:

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
I eagerly await Xan's response to this. :smile:

Now I wasn't suggesting that Xan would say that the sick person should let it be. I was merely pointing out the need IMO of a balanced grounded approach to life and spirituality.........

Internal Queries
06-12-2011, 02:42 PM
hmmm i'm not sure i agree with the differentiation of the "higher" and "lower' selves. seems to me the "higher" self merely has a wider perspective, can see what the "lower" self can not.

is one person more advanced than the other simply because one stands on a hill and can view the vista and the other is in a valley so their view is more limited?

to differentiate implies separation. i don't imagine there is a separation.

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 02:47 PM
hmmm i'm not sure i agree with the differentiation of the "higher" and "lower' selves. seems to me the "higher" self merely has a wider perspective, can see what the "lower" self can not.

is one person more advanced than the other simply because one stands on a hill and can view the vista and the other is in a valley so their view is more limited?

Actually this energy you bring is what is becoming more and more apparent to me. All of our views create barriers.................but...... in seeing those barriers we can see our connectiveness.
And this is exactly what you have done by using them, expressed by another, to see that there is no seperation.
Pretty cool IMO how that works.........:smile:

(sorry to bud in)

Blessings, James

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Now I wasn't suggesting that Xan would say that the sick person should let it be. I was merely pointing out the need IMO of a balanced grounded approach to life and spirituality.........
Ah, my mistake - it seemed to imply one view would look at it one way, and that the other view was represented by your second comment seemed logical. Thanks for the clarification.

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I hear you. It could have come across that way......and I understand how it could be taken wrong.............
The thing is, while I agree it could be taken that way, for me, in that space, there is neither. :smile:

Blessings, James

Thanks again. :smile:

No need to worry, I sensed nothing disparaging, but thought it opportune to define the nuance.

Yes, precisely - and for Xan and myself, and others, there is something 'Above', which it seems either a person sees or doesn't.

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Well, first you say you're not sure if there is a differentiation, then you make one... :D

I suppose that too is a matter of perspective.

I think there both is and isn't separation, depending on how one looks at it. I think there are circumstances where it is appropriate to see separation, and circumstances where it is appropriate to look at it without separation.

So, to insist on seeing it from only one of those perspectives I suspect is again both limited and liberating, depending on circumstances.

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks again. :smile:

Yes, precisely - and for Xan and myself, and others, there is something 'Above', which it seems either a person sees or doesn't.

Yes I understand completely.......
Let me ask you this (if you don't mind).........can you let it go?
Or better yet can you imagine letting it go?

Blessings, James

Internal Queries
06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Well, first you say you're not sure if there is a differentiation, then you make one... :D

I suppose that too is a matter of perspective.

I think there both is and isn't separation, depending on how one looks at it. I think there are circumstances where it is appropriate to see separation, and circumstances where it is appropriate to look at it without separation.

So, to insist on seeing it from only one of those perspectives I suspect is again both limited and liberating, depending on circumstances.

**sings** "fill my eyes with that double vision"

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Yes I understand completely.......
Let me ask you this (if you don't mind).........can you let it go?
Or better yet can you imagine letting it go?

Blessings, James

There are many levels of mind.

There are those who have 'let go' of mind, experiencing 'quiet mind'. Many are satisfied with that, and experiencing nothing further, proclaim it the limit.

There are others who let go. When I truly let go, not only mind falls away, but I fall away. Divinity, for lack of a better word, is what I let go into. It is beyond mind, beyond ordinary consciousness. Many ancient and mystical traditions stretching back for millenia confirm this.

So yes, I have 'let go'.

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
**sings** "fill my eyes with that double vision"
I'm sorry, I'm not quite getting this. :confused:

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 03:21 PM
There are many levels of mind.

There are those who have 'let go' of mind, experiencing 'quiet mind'. Many are satisfied with that, and experiencing nothing further, proclaim it the limit.

There are others who let go. When I truly let go, not only mind falls away, but I fall away. Divinity, for lack of a better word, is what I let go into. It is beyond mind, beyond ordinary consciousness. Many ancient and mystical traditions stretching back for millenia confirm this.

So yes, I have 'let go'.

So what you see that others see or don't that is "above" is "letting go"?

Can you let go of even that?

(I can't...but it happens. :smile: )

Blessings, James

Silver
06-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Maybe what is meant is letting go of notions or beliefs that are yours and yours alone that if/when you release yourself from it/them, you experience a certain um uh clarity?

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:26 PM
So what you see that others see or don't that is "above" is "letting go"?

Can you let go of even that?

(I can't...but it happens. :smile: )

Blessings, James
Mind is a very obedient servant. All meaning is cognized in a context. Remove the context, and all meaning disappears. Does this mean the object of your understanding disappears, or that you have simply eliminated the perception?

Many have thought long and hard on that one.

But strictly speaking the answer to your question is yes.

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Maybe what is meant is letting go of notions or beliefs that are yours and yours alone that if/when you release yourself from it/them, you experience a certain um uh clarity?

Good morning SG. :smile:

Clarity is simply the capability of controlling your thoughts, not letting them run wild. Openness is the next step, necessary for perceiving our innate essence.

If you can do the one but not the other, your ego is still in control.

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Mind is a very obedient servant. All meaning is cognized in a context. Remove the context, and all meaning disappears. Does this mean the object of your understanding disappears, or that you have simply eliminated the perception?

Many have thought long and hard on that one.

But strictly speaking the answer to your question is yes.

I can't. :smile: (but it happens)

Silver
06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Good morning SG. :smile:

Clarity is simply the capability of controlling your thoughts, not letting them run wild. Openness is the next step, necessary for perceiving our innate essence.

If you can do the one but not the other, your ego is still in control.

mornin' sam, lol. I guess I was thinking of clarity as something that happens like when one meditates and releases all thoughts that we normally have......not seeking what our essence is about or anything like that....more of a releasing all that we've known and/or thought we've known about X so as to allow an opportunity for never-thought-of-before nuances and brand new (to us) notions and ideas. Sweeping out all of our preconceived notions...
:hug2:

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
mornin' sam, lol. I guess I was thinking of clarity as something that happens like when one meditates and releases all thoughts that we normally have......not seeking what our essence is about or anything like that....more of a releasing all that we've known and/or thought we've known about X so as to allow an opportunity for never-thought-of-before nuances and brand new (to us) notions and ideas. Sweeping out all of our preconceived notions...
Sam I am! :hug3:

That is the full exercise. Never the less, there is more, if we can only go deeper.

Silver
06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Sam I am! :hug3:

That is the full exercise. Never the less, there is more, if we can only go deeper.

:D Do you mean deeper in meditation? How do you mean?:confused:

Lisa
06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I got Sam from the coyote and sheepdog cartoon- hilarious!

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:44 PM
:D Do you mean deeper in meditation? How do you mean?:confused:

Yes. ......

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 03:45 PM

I think that would be the definition of clarity as used by some here but the true nature of things cannot be seen 'with' clarity.
The clarity 'IS' the true nature of things........:smile:
It cannot be seen. It cannot be found, no matter how deep one looks. It happens and letting go allows it to happen. It doesn't cause it to happen. It is what already is.
Now I am not suggesting letting go or letting go of looking deep. If that is what is happening then dive into it. I'm suggesting that it is not the way. There is no way.........it happens.
Blessings, James

Humm
I got Sam from the coyote and sheepdog cartoon- hilarious!
You know me too well! :tongue:

Silver
:wink: I got Sam from the coyote and sheepdog cartoon- hilarious!

Ah say...ah say.....there's nothin' like goofing around at the same time we're bein' serious!
:D

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I think that would be the definition of clarity as used by some here but the true nature of things cannot be seen 'with' clarity.
The clarity 'IS' the true nature of things........:smile:
It cannot be seen. It cannot be found, no matter how deep one looks. It happens and letting go allows it to happen. It doesn't cause it to happen. It is what already is.
Blessings, James
Saying your view is the true nature of things is definitely the fundamental issue here. :wink:

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Saying your view is the true nature of things is definitely the fundamental issue here. :wink:

You have misunderstood. The true nature of things cannot be shared and it is not a view and I have only glimpsed it but even that I have let go.

Humm
06-12-2011, 03:52 PM
You have misunderstood. The true nature of things cannot be shared and it is not a view and I have only glimpsed it but even that I have let go.
My apologies - but did you not describe the true nature of things in your prior post, along with how that is to be apprehended, as indicated by the words 'it IS'?

Either you know this, or you do not - don't you think?

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 03:58 PM
My apologies - but did you not describe the true nature of things in your prior post, along with how that is to be apprehended, as indicated by the words 'it IS'?

Either you know this, or you do not - don't you think?

No, I was just sayin it is a misconception to think one could see it because what you see is not it. What you know is not it. None of this is it.........it is not it................none of this is. Nothing is.
That cannot be grasped, attained, seen, understood or shared. This is why it cannot be discussed. It cannot be understood.

Blessings, James

Humm
06-12-2011, 04:08 PM
No, I was just sayin it is a misconception to think one could see it because what you see is not it. What you know is not it. None of this is it.........it is not it................none of this is. Nothing is.
That cannot be grasped, attained, seen, understood or shared. This is why it cannot be discussed. It cannot be understood.

Blessings, James
Well, I sort of agree. You say it cannot be discussed - yet here we are. That said - I agree it can not be cognized in totality. We as humans are simply not equipped to do that. That said, we obviously very well do know it is there or we would not be discussing it.

Definitely, to think we do know it in totality is impossible, as we have innately conceptual and subjective consciousness - BUT I DO think it is possible to experience it, or at least the effects it impresses on our consciousness in our carefully cultivated state of trance, which is exactly what we do, and then 'download' or translate the experience into our everyday consciousness when we ' come back' and 'pick up' again what we had 'let go'.

The REAL question is the measure of holistic consciousness we acquire from our perception of it. This then becomes our perspective about it. To decide our perspective is the one and only truth is an error, and a serious one - but this, to me, is what makes all the difference. How does it then determine how we relate to others? That is it's true value and worth.

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Well, I sort of agree. You say it cannot be discussed - yet here we are. That said - I agree it can not be cognized in totality. We as humans are simply not equipped to do that. That said, we obviously very well do know it is there or we would not be discussing it.

Definitely, to think we do know it in totality is impossible, as we have innately conceptual and subjective consciousness - BUT I DO think it is possible to experience it, or at least the effects it impresses on our consciousness in our carefully cultivated state of trance, which is exactly what we do, and then 'download' or translate the experience into our everyday consciousness when we ' come back' and 'pick up' again what we had 'let go'.

The REAL question is the measure of holistic consciousness we acquire from our perception of it. This then becomes our perspective about it. To decide our perspective is the one and only truth is an error, and a serious one - but this, to me, is what makes all the difference. How does it then determine how we relate to others? That is it's true value and worth.

To know that you don't know is not discussing it or cognizing it in part or in totality.
To know that you don't know is all that can be said..........
James

Humm
06-12-2011, 04:19 PM
To know that you don't know is not discussing it or cognizing it in part or in totality.
To know that you don't know is all that can be said..........
James
Thank you! *bows* :smile:

BlueSky
06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Thank you! *bows* :smile:

Thank you and bows as well............:smile:

Internal Queries
06-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not quite getting this. :confused:

lol sorry. being a little silly.

i only meant that from certain perspectives One can view a concept several different ways simultaneously, maybe kinda like how concepts are viewed by "higher selves". i imagine in those moments the differentiations are quite minimal, having more to do with scope than the ability and practice.

"lower" self does the detailing while "higher" Self paints the big picture.

Humm
06-12-2011, 05:11 PM
lol sorry. being a little silly.

i only meant that from certain perspectives One can view a concept several different ways simultaneously, maybe kinda like how concepts are viewed by "higher selves". i imagine in those moments the differentiations are quite minimal, having more to do with scope than the ability and practice.

"lower" self does the detailing while "higher" Self paints the big picture.
Well said! 'Mind' is remarkably plastic. :smile:

God-Like
06-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Greetings..

There is just 'Self'..

Absolutely . .

x daz x

Mr Interesting
07-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Well y'all. Well done!

Y'all took several pages to have a big argument then spent a few more saying sorry and havin' big hugs... but Dena didn't come back.

I think y'all frightened her off with yer crowing and shakin' of tail feathers. Even the Zoo's and the Zan's.

Dena asked nice for a simple explanation, that might suit a person without Englsh as a first language, what is a/the higher self?

Well Dena, if you're still there at all.

Your higher self is always higher than you... it's more about direction than an actual thing.

So it doesn't really matter whether you or me or anyone knows exactly what it is and as a matter of fact the mystery of it all isn't unhelpful. (double negative ;-{ )

What matters is taking the time to quieten down and search around inside... everything else will take care of itself.

The higher self, in itself, doesn't matter. It's just another name for getting us going somewhere. The land of milk and honey, the carrot, the grass is greener etc, none of it matters as an end in itself... all that matters is moving and trying to be better at it.

Sorry that the question round here has turned into what is the highly highest higher even than highestly high... self? But we're basically English and we're used to pwning the world... even while we're losin' it.

psychoslice
07-12-2011, 09:21 AM
You know how you think you are, add your name, and how you think you are the life story you made of yourself, or others have made of you, then that is not who you are.

3dnow
07-12-2011, 10:13 AM
You know how you think you are, add your name, and how you think you are the life story you made of yourself, or others have made of you, then that is not who you are.

No one made anything we did it to ourselves by listening to others.

3d

n2mec
07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
For me, the higher self is the part that i can not explain, it goes beyond words. sometimes I use use "chocolate ice cream" to start the session.

Humm
07-12-2011, 01:46 PM
For me, the higher self is the part that i can not explain, it goes beyond words. sometimes I use use "chocolate ice cream" to start the session.
Well said.

I often say 'Mystery is my God' - 'Mystery' being the closest concept to point to what cannot be conceived, though chocolate ice cream works just as well if I keep in mind the illusionary nature of words.

But there I go, along with everyone else here pointing at what can't be pointed at... perhaps it's not that the mystery is so unknowable, but that we are just so limited.

Lisa
07-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Even your scoldings are interesting, Mr Interesting. :smile:

Time
07-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Your subconscious

BlueSky
07-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Even your scoldings are interesting, Mr Interesting. :smile:

Ha! My thoughts exactly..........:smile: