PDA

View Full Version : Spiritualism

mac
01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Spiritualism is an officially registered, legally recognised, religion in a number of countries. It's also been described as a philosophy and a science.

Adherents of its teachings and guidance will often refer to themselves as Spiritualists. Some will be regular members of a church or centre. Others will rarely, or never, be seen at one.

Spiritualism (or Modern Spiritualism to signify its most-recent appearance) asks no belief or faith. It teaches that we all survive physical death into continuing life elsewhere. Abundant evidence of that has been provided through mediumship for over a century.

A medium is someone who facilitates communication between those alive here in this dimension and others who are still alive but in the 'spirit' dimensions. Where evidence of identity is obtained by a medium - as for example from a deceased relative or friend - it may be termed evidential mediumship.

Other mediums have facilitated communications from spiritually-evolved teachers and guides. Their guidance has provided a framework of understanding about what happens after death. Teachings have been widely recorded in books and some were recorded electronically at the time they were given.

MMM
01-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Spiritualists are not Christians as they do not believe in the divinity of Christ or that Jesus 'died for our sins'
Spiritualist philosophy is based on 7 principles
The Fatherhood of God.
The Brotherhood of Man.
The Communion of Spirits and the Ministry of Angels.
The Continuous Existence of the Human Soul.
Personal Responsibility.
Compensation and Retribution hereafter for all the good and evil deeds done on earth.
Eternal Progress open to every human soul.

mac
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Spiritualists are not Christians as they do not believe in the divinity of Christ or that Jesus 'died for our sins'
Spiritualist philosophy is based on 7 principles
The Fatherhood of God.
The Brotherhood of Man.
The Communion of Spirits and the Ministry of Angels.
The Continuous Existence of the Human Soul.
Personal Responsibility.
Compensation and Retribution hereafter for all the good and evil deeds done on earth.
Eternal Progress open to every human soul.

correct

It was historically necessary to adopt the above principles and the situation leading to that can readily be researched online.

The SNU also has useful details for anyone wishing to getter better acquainted with Spiritualism as a religion. :hug3:

Miss Hepburn
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Another religion?

I guess it is fun to mingle with people that think the same as you.

mac
01-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Another religion?

"Another religion?" No, just a religion.....

"I guess it is fun to mingle with people that think the same as you." I guess it could be.....

One day we might find out. :wink:

deepsea
01-12-2011, 05:25 PM
But then don't all people mingle with those who have the same interest?
And belief?
:confused:

Skye
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Adherents to the religion of Spiritualism don't believe, they know. The practice of mediumship has provided the evidence over many years, that they have no doubt in their minds that life in the hereafter is a fact, not a belief.

glenos
01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Adherents to the religion of Spiritualism don't believe, they know. The practice of mediumship has provided the evidence over many years, that they have no doubt in their minds that life in the hereafter is a fact, not a belief.

Absolutely.

I think that the OP should be made a sticky so that people know what Spiritualism is about. How about it mods?

G

Skye
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Absolutely.

I think that the OP should be made a sticky so that people know what Spiritualism is about. How about it mods?

G

I had the same thought glenos, but decided against saying anything. Basically because the mods on this forum tend to ignore whatever requests the OP happens to mention regarding our religion. This could be due to misunderstanding on their part, which is why your suggestion is hopefully considered.

Left Behind
02-12-2011, 03:46 AM
correct

It was historically necessary to adopt the above principles and the situation leading to that can readily be researched online.

The SNU also has useful details for anyone wishing to getter better acquainted with Spiritualism as a religion. :hug3:

I don't completely agree with you there, Mac. I think it would be more correct to say that "Spiritualists are not necessarily Christians", or that "Spiritualisms tend not to accept the conventional Christian view of the atonement".

Jim

Left Behind
02-12-2011, 03:48 AM
I had the same thought glenos, but decided against saying anything. Basically because the mods on this forum tend to ignore whatever requests the OP happens to mention regarding our religion. This could be due to misunderstanding on their part, which is why your suggestion is hopefully considered.

Mac will like that. He gets sick of trying to explain the difference between Spiritualism and spirituality. :smile:

Jim

Left Behind
02-12-2011, 03:51 AM
Another religion?

"Like attracts like."

(A Spiritualist saying). :wink:

Jim

Gem
02-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Absolutely.

G

I disagree and think if one member is given a sticky other members would be entitled to one, and best admin not indulge in favoritizm.

Silver
02-12-2011, 05:44 AM

Any forum experiences the same stuff ~ if members have ideas or comments or criticisms, and they don't let admin or mods know via pm, these ideas/comments can't be addressed if staff doesn't happen to spot the comments within a thread. Members who've been here a while know what the score is.

mac
02-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I disagree and think if one member is given a sticky other members would be entitled to one, and best admin not indulge in favoritizm.
It could be the posting which might become a 'sticky'.

Make it a sticky without attribution and your concern disappears....

And given the ongoing misunderstandings evident in this forum, it's arguable there are sound reasons for the suggestion of a 'sticky'...

psychoslice
02-12-2011, 09:19 AM
it sounds like a great religion to be in, compared to Christianity.

mac
02-12-2011, 09:29 AM
I don't completely agree with you there, Mac. I think it would be more correct to say that "Spiritualists are not necessarily Christians", or that "Spiritualisms tend not to accept the conventional Christian view of the atonement".

Jim
The Devil's often in the detail.....:wink: Other Spiritualist members may wish to discuss your suggestions...

The KISS principle (Keep It Simple Sweetie) in my original submission was deliberate. :hug2:

mac
02-12-2011, 09:33 AM
"Like attracts like."

(A Spiritualist saying). :wink:

Jim
The principle applies principally in the etheric. (spiritual dimensions)

Sadly it's not always evident when living in-the-body.....

mac
02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Mac will like that. He gets sick of trying to explain the difference between Spiritualism and spirituality. :smile:

Jim
It would be helpful to again have such a point of reference in this forum....

It can get wearisome at times repeatedly writing the same explanation. :wink:

deepsea
02-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Like a foreword,Mac?
Explaination of what Spiritualism is about.

Gem
02-12-2011, 10:18 AM
It could be the posting which might become a 'sticky'.

Make it a sticky without attribution and your concern disappears....

And given the ongoing misunderstandings evident in this forum, it's arguable there are sound reasons for the suggestion of a 'sticky'...

I don't think members should be given the privelidge of stickeys because it necessitates favoritizm on the part of admin.

Stickeys are admin purposes.

Gem
02-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Then again, it looks like Norseman already has one, and he isn't admin.

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4317&page=106

mac
02-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't think members should be given the privelidge of stickeys because it necessitates favoritizm on the part of admin.

Stickeys are admin purposes.
to repeat: "Make it a sticky without attribution and your concern disappears.... "

If there's no attribution, it's just a few lines of explanation - no members will have been shown favouritism.

no worries!

mac
02-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Then again, it looks like Norseman already has one, and he isn't admin.

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4317&page=106 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D4317%26amp%3Bpage%3D 106)

It's surely the value of the content of a sticky that results in a piece becoming a sticky in the first place?

Who wrote it matters little, it's what the piece says that matters most....

MMM
02-12-2011, 10:43 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualism

mac
02-12-2011, 10:48 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualism (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwik i%2FSpiritualism)

Wikipedia et al may be great places to consult where someone wants detailed information and additional references.

A quick-and-easy guide may be more suitable for discussion forum use, I'd suggest.

mac
02-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Like a foreword,Mac?
Explaination of what Spiritualism is about.

yes - somewhere to refer

Skye
02-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Wikipedia et al may be great places to consult where someone wants detailed information and additional references.

A quick-and-easy guide may be more suitable for discussion forum use, I'd suggest.

I can't speak for other members here, but i've noticed the information on Wikipedia is misleading when it comes to discussing Modern Spiritualism. And, in my opinion it does our religion no favours.

Some people often confuse spirituality with Spiritualism, thinking they are one and the same. Asking someone who knows nothing about the religion is pointless. Surely it is preferable to discuss the subject with someone who actually knows what they are talking about, to help lessen any confusion or misunderstandings.

Having a sticky can offer a basic introduction to those who may wish to explore Spiritualism further. Who knows it may lead to the prevention of discussing topics that have nothing to do with the religious views of Spiritualist's. Furthermore, it could help members who are seeking answers to spiritual questions in general, by encouraging them to post in a forum which is likely to have more people visit, thereby providing them with an opportunity to receive a wider audience.

Gem
02-12-2011, 12:13 PM
It's surely the value of the content of a sticky that results in a piece becoming a sticky in the first place?

Who wrote it matters little, it's what the piece says that matters most....

You might acertain the content is valuable and another will think it's tripe.

What matters is if Norseman gets a sticky others would also be entitled to it.

If stickeys were for admin purposes then they'd remain sensible.

Soon, there will all sorts of inane stickeys like Norseman's Tarot School, maybe this one will be next.:icon_eek:

MMM
02-12-2011, 12:30 PM
even if there were a sticky, some people would still mis-post here
and you're right, are you going to have a sticky for the other religions?

Skye
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM

I can't disagree with your comment about the continuation of people posting in the wrong forum, it's a certainty it will happen on occasions.

Sticky's for other religions may not be a bad idea actually. This is a spiritual site and what better place could we hope for to give a brief insight into all people's religious beliefs. Most people on here know little of Spiritualism, therefore, it's a safe bet, few people know little of other peoples religion. Unfortunately, we are all aware this idea will be thrown out before it's even discussed by staff.

mac
02-12-2011, 12:46 PM
You might acertain the content is valuable and another will think it's tripe.

What matters is if Norseman gets a sticky others would also be entitled to it.

If stickeys were for admin purposes then they'd remain sensible.

Soon, there will all sorts of inane stickeys like Norseman's Tarot School, maybe this one will be next.:icon_eek:

I'm getting the impression your remarks are prompted more by envy or spite, rather than a desire to see helpful words....:icon_frown:

Skye
02-12-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm getting the impression your remarks are prompted more by envy or spite, rather than a desire to see helpful words....:icon_frown:

it's not just me then mac?

mac
02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
This thread was about Spiritualism when I started it - it was never about mis-posting.

Moving on, I don't see it as my place to question how any other forum operates if I'm not a contributor. The regulars are surely able to speak for themselves?

Left Behind
02-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Why not? Christianity and Buddhism and Islam, etc., aren't some sort of vague teachings about something: they all have specific content, and there's no reason not to explain at the outset what that content consists of.

Even though you may still get some argument on that score! :D

Jim

mac
02-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Why not? Christianity and Buddhism and Islam, etc., aren't some sort of vague teachings about something: they all have specific content, and there's no reason not to explain at the outset what that content consists of.

Even though you may still get some argument on that score! :D

Jim
why not? Well there's no reason why there shouldn't be if members really do need to learn from the outset what Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Paganism etc. are about. If forums are to educate.

It doesn't matter to me but the reason for an explanation in this Spiritualism forum is solely to try to avoid in future, confusion similar to that evident recently.

If admin feels it would create an unwanted precedent, let's just carry on with things as they are, eh? :hug3:

Juanita
02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
all mediums are not spiritulists and all spriritulists are not mediums and I have found that the majority of spiritulists do believe in christianity, and mostly all spiritists do.....,

Juanita
02-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I goofed---the posts that I thought I was responding to just disappeared......anyway, as long as I'm here let me say what I feel true spiritulism is about......we should already know that we are spiritual beings temporarily in a physical body.....this is not our true Home, just a temporary classroom of sorts where lessons are (or should be) learned, experiences are experienced for our soul growth, etc..... the only thing. that I believe in "is" spirit..... we come here with a Life Plan, which we make before each reincarnation and which is often difficult, but once we realize that "we" planned it that way for a reason, it gets a bit easier to deal with.....those are my views on spiritulism.......

deepsea
02-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Pretty good,Juanita.
:D

mac
03-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Juanita

"all mediums are not spiritulists" (see http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26621 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D26621)) quote: "Although Spiritualism may be less well-known than in its heyday, its mediums continue to offer their services in the cause of the spirit, to re-unite loved ones and friends on both sides of the divide. (But not all mediums are Spiritualists and you don't have to be the latter to be the former!)"

"and all spriritulists are not mediums" Obviously....and I have found that the majority of spiritulists do believe in christianity, and mostly all spiritists do....., Why wouldn't they believe in Christianity? Christianity is a religion which plainly exists and plainly has millions of adherents. Only an extremist wouldn't believe in Christianity, or any other unmissable religion.

I've not spoken about Spiritists as I don't have the detailed knowledge I do have about Spiritualism....

mac
03-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I goofed---the posts that I thought I was responding to just disappeared......anyway, as long as I'm here let me say what I feel true spiritulism is about......we should already know that we are spiritual beings temporarily in a physical body.....this is not our true Home, just a temporary classroom of sorts where lessons are (or should be) learned, experiences are experienced for our soul growth, etc..... the only thing. that I believe in "is" spirit..... we come here with a Life Plan, which we make before each reincarnation and which is often difficult, but once we realize that "we" planned it that way for a reason, it gets a bit easier to deal with.....those are my views on spiritulism.......

Forgive my bluntness but what is "true" Spiritualism? Or indeed what is false Spiritualism?

Spiritualism is fundamentally about two issues - that of survival beyond corporeal death and communication through mediumship of individuals in both physical and etheric dimensions. Beyond that, spiritually-evolved teachers and guides have offered explanations of some of the details - we don't need to rely on personal beliefs or interpretation.

And why is it that, quote: "....we should already know that we are spiritual beings temporarily in a physical body.....this is not our true Home, just a temporary classroom of sorts where lessons are (or should be) learned, experiences are experienced for our soul growth, etc...."

How would we, why should we, know all that unless we've learned or been taught it?And, of course, it has all been taught....

Left Behind
03-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Mac, I think that the poster has done what you are always warning against: confusing Spiritualism (as you call it: Modern Spiritualism, or Spiritualism with a capital 'S') with spirituality.

This is why we need your post to be a Sticky. :smile:

Jim

mac
03-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Mac, I think that the poster has done what you are always warning against: confusing Spiritualism (as you call it: Modern Spiritualism, or Spiritualism with a capital 'S') with spirituality.

This is why we need your post to be a Sticky. :smile:

Jim
I have the feeling, Jim, that suggestion's not going to find approval. :wink:

Perhaps a better writer could submit a piece to the website operator so it could be used as a forum admin sticky? That would avoid any criticism of member privilege.

There used to be just such a sticky some time back but after a server crash it wasn't reinstated. My memory's terrible and I can't recall if it was here or on HealthyPages. :confused:

I do recall, though, that it was useful for quick reference.

Left Behind
03-12-2011, 07:24 PM
And it would be useful again, for the same purpose.

Jim

Kiki04
05-12-2011, 04:30 AM
I love your definition Juanita. I definitely agree. :)

I goofed---the posts that I thought I was responding to just
disappeared......anyway, as long as I'm here let me say what I feel true spiritulism is about......we should already know that we are spiritual beings temporarily in a physical body.....this is not our true Home, just a temporary classroom of sorts where lessons are (or should be) learned, experiences are experienced for our soul growth, etc..... the only thing. that I believe in "is" spirit..... we come here with a Life Plan, which we make before each reincarnation and which is often difficult, but once we realize that "we" planned it that way for a reason, it gets a bit easier to deal with.....those are my views on spiritulism.......

Kiki04
05-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Send a PM to a staff member. Mods already took note but it's always helpful to send a PM ;)

Love and light,
Kiki04

I have the feeling, Jim, that suggestion's not going to find approval. :wink:

Perhaps a better writer could submit a piece to the website operator so it could be used as a forum admin sticky? That would avoid any criticism of member privilege.

There used to be just such a sticky some time back but after a server crash it wasn't reinstated. My memory's terrible and I can't recall if it was here or on HealthyPages. :confused:

I do recall, though, that it was useful for quick reference.

mac
06-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Send a PM to a staff member. Mods already took note but it's always helpful to send a PM ;)

Love and light,
Kiki04

I'm only ever in contact with moderators - who are the staff to send pm to?

Kiki04
06-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Daisy, Innerlight, or Kaere. :)

I'm only ever in contact with moderators - who are the staff to send pm to?

mac
07-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Daisy, Innerlight, or Kaere. :)

I had thought they were moderators....

Kaere
07-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Purple Adminstrators - Daisy Innerlight Kaere
Blue Supermoderators - Lynn Jules
Orangey Trial Moderators - Kiki04 hawkmoth65 arive nan Starbuck

We are all Staff

mac
07-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Purple Adminstrators - Daisy Innerlight Kaere
Blue Supermoderators - Lynn Jules
Orangey Trial Moderators - Kiki04 hawkmoth65 arive nan Starbuck

We are all Staff

thanks, Kaere - I was confused

Juanita
09-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Master, well thats "it", isn't it.....christianity is a "religion".....and people need to find their own "truths" and not adhere to the beliefs of others.......you are saying that anyone who is not christian or religious is an extremist.....that doesn't make much sense, IMO......

mac
09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Master, well thats "it", isn't it.....christianity is a "religion".....and people need to find their own "truths" and not adhere to the beliefs of others.......you are saying that anyone who is not christian or religious is an extremist.....that doesn't make much sense, IMO......

It would be helpful to know who you're addressing this reply to :confused: IMO

Juanita
09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I addressed it to MASTER I believe.......

Juanita
09-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Awwww.....my bag.

Juanita
09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
oh darn, I don't know where the heck my edited post went......so will have to repeat myself ......so sorry Mac -- I'm still learning how to navigate this site and doing poorly at it....lol......but let me say that I believe spiritulism is much more than the religion of Spiritulism -- IMO, it is a state of being---of total belief in spirit...... also I would argue that you do not have to be a Medium (altho it greatly helps) to communicate with spirit....ADCs are very common to those with the belief.......being spiritual is one thing but spiritulism itself is something different....just my opinion........

mac
09-12-2011, 09:33 PM
I addressed it to MASTER I believe.......

Oh - who's that?:confused:

mac
09-12-2011, 09:40 PM
oh darn, I don't know where the heck my edited post went......so will have to repeat myself ......so sorry Mac -- I'm still learning how to navigate this site and doing poorly at it....lol......but let me say that I believe spiritulism is much more than the religion of Spiritulism -- IMO, it is a state of being---of total belief in spirit...... also I would argue that you do not have to be a Medium (altho it greatly helps) to communicate with spirit....ADCs are very common to those with the belief.......being spiritual is one thing but spiritulism itself is something different....just my opinion........

When you understand Spiritualism you don't need beliefor opinions. :wink:

One of the major differences between Modern Spiritualism and mainstream religions is that it provides evidence of what it teaches.

Juanita
09-12-2011, 09:55 PM
When you understand Spiritualism you don't need beliefor opinions. :wink:

One of the major differences between Modern Spiritualism and mainstream religions is that it provides evidence of what it teaches.

actally, we seem to be saying the same thing with different words......I do understand spiritulism, both the religion and the "belief"......and you cannot be human without having beliefs and opinions.......everyone has them---it is what is responsible for disagreements and misunderstandings.......:-)

mac
09-12-2011, 10:07 PM
actally, we seem to be saying the same thing with different words......I do understand spiritulism, both the religion and the "belief"......and you cannot be human without having beliefs and opinions.......everyone has them---it is what is responsible for disagreements and misunderstandings.......:-)

I have beliefs and opinions about all manner of issues - but not those found in Spiritualism. Belief doesn't enter the picture for me.

Disagreements and misunderstandings can come about for a multitude of reasons - not just from holding opinions and beliefs.