PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Vision Quests

BlackWolf
21-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Does a Vision Quest usually take place in the Spring and Summer or can it take place in the Winter? Are ANY type of weapons typically carried on a Vision Quest? What about food?

When is the earliest in the year a Native American would typically go on a Vision Quest?

Reason for the questions: I am doing some research on this for a paper :rolleyes: and these are just some questions I simply cannot find answers for elsewhere on the internet. Everywhere else explains what it's for, which I have already known that, duh. I am assuming no food, water or weapons of any kind are carried on a Vision Quest, but I need to ask the pro's first, and that would be you!

Thanks!

pre-dawn
22-11-2011, 03:41 AM
From what I know about VQ's to carry no food or water would be highly irresponsible, purely from a medical/survival point of view. The same would go for doing it in extreme weather conditions.
The outcome of a VQ program should be inspired and motivated people, not dead ones.

BlackWolf
22-11-2011, 10:54 PM
I suppose you're right. I just figure they would have to gather their own sustenance while they are out there.

BlueSky
22-11-2011, 11:34 PM
May I ask what kind of paper are you doing research on this for?
James

pre-dawn
23-11-2011, 02:42 AM
As far as I understand a VQ is an extended period of aloneness in nature, without distractions such as radio, TV, books, fancy foods or an overabundance of foods, etc. The chosen environment and conditions allow realizations to surface which we usually keep under wraps.

Any very serious deprivation will result in self-preoccupation, anxiety and maybe panic. This will stall the processes a VQ is designed for.
VQ's are not survival courses, although the food supply may be such that one is encouraged to supplement it with what can be found.

BlackWolf
23-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Shaman-I have to write a story for my last English class! I am so excited because I hate english! Whoo Hoo! lol. But I am really looking forward to writing this because it is actually something I care about and have an interest in. My great grandmother was Cherokee so it really lets me learn more about that part of the family. The rest of my family is all from England and Holland so it's kinda boring. Although I did just find out my great grandmother x 6 was accussed of being a witch back in the 1600's.

Dawn- When you put it that way it makes a lot more sense. Thank you very much for your help.

Celtic Goddess
23-11-2011, 05:03 PM
As far as I know, according to Lakota tradition, a vision quest can be two days and two nights or up to four days and four nights. During the vision quest, the seeker is to fast--NO FOOD or water. No weapons are taken on vision quest and quests are usually made in warmer weather months. A person who goes on quest typically has a "helper"--sort of like a sponsor, who retrieves them from the quest spot and helps them afterwards, ie with taking food again, etc.

BlackWolf
23-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Awesome Celtic Goddess!

Thank you!

BlueSky
23-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Shaman-I have to write a story for my last English class! I am so excited because I hate english! Whoo Hoo! lol. But I am really looking forward to writing this because it is actually something I care about and have an interest in. My great grandmother was Cherokee so it really lets me learn more about that part of the family. The rest of my family is all from England and Holland so it's kinda boring. Although I did just find out my great grandmother x 6 was accussed of being a witch back in the 1600's.

Dawn- When you put it that way it makes a lot more sense. Thank you very much for your help.

Very cool! :smile:

CaramelDancer
23-11-2011, 09:34 PM
From my experience with my own Vision Quest---no food, no water, four nights, five days, no weapons, no fire, no leaving your spot...unless you need to go to the 'bathroom'. Five nights if you include the preparatory night. Sweat before and after, in the first honouring the east and south directions, and after honour the west and north directions.
There is then a sharing and assimilation period, and finally, food! :)
Some traditions pierce in a very sacred manner as an offering during their Vision Quests. I did not because of my own preferences.
If someone does pierce though they might bring a small weapon for that.

It's an incredibly sacred experience.
It's something I doubt I'd do again because it is just quite hard, but it was an invaluable experience.

xo~

BlackWolf
24-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Wow caramel. That is great. But what happens if there is a predatory animal coming at you, what do you do then?

CaramelDancer
07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi BlackWolf~

That is so synchronous that you should ask me that. I hesitate to respond, but I will tell you that I have had that experience, personally. I won't go into details except to say--Vision Quests are not 'safe'.
They are challenging, can be dangerous, and need to not be taken lightly.
In general when a predator approaches you, and it's a 'real' form and not a 'visual' one, you make yourself big and loud. It depends on the species whether you stand firm or run. Under that circumstance you are certainly able to leave your circle to protect yourself if needed. Some traditions allow fires, which keeps predators at bay. Others don't because it is distracting from the search of the Quest.
Great prayer and respect and honour for and of the nature around you, including predators, is what helps get you through. The greatest blessing in it all is coming out of it and then the assimilation process.
I have never been so happy to be alive.

Would I do it again? Absolutely not.
My guided message loud and clear was that 'learning does not have to be this hard.'
The aim of the Quest is not to find harm, but harmony.
I tell you my story believing that you will honour it, for it is very special. I too honour your journeys and stories.
All the best to you.~
:)

BlackWolf
08-12-2011, 04:15 AM
That you CaramelDancer. I really appreciate it.

Spiritprophet
06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Water is very important, and protection from hyper or hypothermia. Other than that you need nothing else but resolve. Three day three night minimum. Fasting before and total isolation.

Don't listen to anyone telling you to go without water. Especially five days. You can end up dead. You can go without food for a month. Water is sacred and will benefit you on your journey.

Good luck. You don't need to die to enter the spirit world.

Spiritprophet
06-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Wow caramel. That is great. But what happens if there is a predatory animal coming at you, what do you do then?

Yell at it, but You are in more danger from the drive than from predators. Be more concerned with hydration and body temp.

Chloe1991
11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
I really want to go on a vision quest at some point in my life!

Henri77
27-03-2012, 11:51 PM
While I certainly respect Native tradition-practices as a sacred- ancient method, and those who choose to endure the hardship.
Other cultures certainly have similar practices that don't REQUIRE putting ones life at risk from predators....or exposure.
And I expect one can do a quest in varied ways that involve sensory deprivation, meditation & fasting.

thanx for the stories though.

Wisa'ka
29-03-2012, 05:55 PM
"Other cultures certainly have similar practices that don't REQUIRE putting ones life at risk from predators....or exposure"

But that's other cultures.

In many Indian tribes 'vision quests' were mainly for adolescent boys coming into manhood, or those attaing medicine.

Reverend Keith
11-04-2012, 07:54 PM
While I certainly respect Native tradition-practices as a sacred- ancient method, and those who choose to endure the hardship.
Other cultures certainly have similar practices that don't REQUIRE putting ones life at risk from predators....or exposure.
And I expect one can do a quest in varied ways that involve sensory deprivation, meditation & fasting.

I've used a ritual that simply involves spending in the night (after preparation) in a sacred circle and occupying yourself through the night with various kinds of scrying, meditation, and even sacred dreaming. Indoors or outdoors - but indoors is fine.

It was highly meaningful and spiritually productive, without being particularly grueling or dangerous.

Wisa'ka
12-04-2012, 09:16 AM

So you're talking about going on a vision quest and never leaving the comforts of home or perhaps the backyard ?

I can see why some pay good money for a weekend vision quest. Be careful though about the Saturday morning sweat lodge package as there has been cases of people dying during such improperly conducted rituals.

We're running a 'find your spirit animal and name giving special' this month, buy one get one free.

Will that be cash or credit ?