PDA

View Full Version : Vodun dark?

babycakes
17-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Ive been wondering, why do people classify Vovun to be a dark practice?
Its a beautiful vibrant deeply intimate practice and relationship with spirit. This is my findings and overall judgment.
Am i missing something that I should know about Vodun, also known by many other names, most popular being Voodoo.
My daughter has a teacher who is of this religion, and he is lovely.
Can someone please tell me if there is anything I have missed that I should know that makes this a dark religion.
Bright blessings.

Animus27
17-11-2011, 11:16 PM
There's nothing that makes it a "dark religion", per se. Most of the perceptions about it being a unsavory religion have to do with Christian opinions concerning animal sacrifice and spirit possession - which are seen as big no-nos.

babycakes
18-11-2011, 12:30 AM
There's nothing that makes it a "dark religion", per se. Most of the perceptions about it being a unsavory religion have to do with Christian opinions concerning animal sacrifice and spirit possession - which are seen as big no-nos.

Thats kind of what i thought.
I actually adore the religion and found the research i have done on it, it seems very beautiful.
Deep and enriching.
Thankyou for your input.
Bright blessings.

Lostgirl
18-11-2011, 07:32 AM
What actually is it?

norseman
18-11-2011, 07:34 AM
I know nothing about Vodun. Is it a traditional faith with a long history [talking millenia there] or a modern, created one like wicca ?

babycakes
18-11-2011, 08:58 AM
vodun is a native religion of haiti. It is an old religion and there are many branches of it through out the world.
Theres heaps of info on it if you type it in google search. I basically just hoped someone knew a bit about her it, so i could understand why there are so many people who mention its a dark spirituality.
Thanks for the input guys.
Bright blessings.

Animus27
20-11-2011, 02:26 AM
I know nothing about Vodun. Is it a traditional faith with a long history [talking millenia there] or a modern, created one like wicca ?
Vodun is a traditional religion of West Africa that's been brought to the New World where it was syncretized with Catholicism, and native beliefs, thus creating religious traditions of Santeria, Louisianian Voodoo, and many other flavors.

babycakes
24-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I think thats my main interest actually Animus27, new world voodoo as opposed the traditional religion from Haiti. The LWA are the same, its mainly a spirituality rather than a religion in the new world.
Thanks for your thoughts on this topic everyone.
bright blessings!

avenger
02-12-2011, 11:15 PM

Traditional religion from Africa, etc.

It's no more "dark" than Christianity or Islam.

babycakes
03-12-2011, 12:32 AM
thankyou avenger. I agree with your statement with about that.