PDA

View Full Version : Lahiri Mahasaya Babaji

chamundihari
17-11-2011, 08:45 AM
Lahiri Mahasaya Babaji

At the age of 33 he met his Guru Babaji near Ranikhet in the Himalayas, who revealed to him the ancient missing form of Kriya-Yoga and instructed him to initiate any sincere seekers who may be so interested. Thus a prosperity of Kriya Yoga began in the year 1861.

Apart from his spiritual obligations and his responsible activity in his occupation and family he still took over functions in the area of the youth education, founded study groups and actively took part in building a large high school in the Bengalitola district of Benares. He initiated thousands of persons of all religions and faith directions into Kriya Yoga, thereby undertaking a bold attack against the caste system of his epoch.

On one occasion in Benares, the great Indian sage Trailanga Swami, who was known to be nearly 300 years old, forsook his usual silence in order to pay public honor to Lahiri Mahasaya. One of Trailanga's disciples objected.

"Sir", he said, "why do you, a Swami and a renunciant, show such respect to a mere householder?".
Trailanga replied, "My son, Lahiri Mahasaya is like a divine kitten, remaining wherever the Cosmic Mother has placed him. While dutifully playing the part of a worldly man, he has received that perfect Self-realization which I have sought by renouncing everything - even my loincloth!".
Lahiri was the surname of Schyama Tscharan Lahiri, who lived from 1828 to 1898. Mahasaya is a religious Sanskrit title and means "magnanimous". Lahiri Mahasaya was a contemporary of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and a direct disciple of Mahavatar Babaji. He was the Guru of Swami Sri Yukteswar who was the Guru of Paramhansa Yogananda. Always soft and humble in contact with others, as a Christ-like spiritual teacher he was provided with great miraculous powers and took worldly responsibility as a familiy man as well.

In the only photo of Lahiri known to exist, he is shown with half opened and half closed eyes. This shows his attitude to be at the same time in the everyday outside world of normal life and in the internal world of spirit. Through his exemplary life he taught the people an age-old and nevertheless modern form of Yoga, which shows the correct balance between meditation and the fulfilment of wordly obligations.

In the year 1886, 25 years after his initiation through Babaji, he retired and from then on spent most of his time in the overconscious status of silent meditation. On September 26th, 1895 he left his physical body, but not without appearring to some of his disciples on the following day in a very alive, just younger and more radiating form, and spoke with them.
The following quote is written by British author and playwright W. Somerset Maugham and appears in his published work A Writer's Notebook:
"In India a Yogi wanted to go somewhere by train, but having no money, asked the station-master if he could go for nothing; the station-master refused, so the Yogi sat down on the platform. When it was time for the train to go it would not start.

It was supposed that something was wrong with the engine, so mechanics were sent for and they did all they knew, but still the train could not go. At last the station-master told the officials of the Yogi. He was asked to get in the train and it immediately started."

Lahiri Mahasaya has been recorded to be responsible for a similar Siddhi in connection with a woman disciple named Abhoya, and might possibly be the original source for Maugham's quote.
Abhoya and her husband, a Calcutta lawyer, started out one day for Benares to visit the guru. Their carriage was delayed by heavy traffic; they reached the Howrah main station only to hear the Benares train whistling for departure.

Abhoya, near the ticket office, stood quietly and silently prayed, "Lahiri Mahasaya, I beseech thee to stop the train! I cannot suffer the pangs of delay in waiting another day to see thee."

The wheels of the snorting locomotive continued to move round and round, but there was no onward progress. The engineer and passengers descended to the platform to view the phenomenon. An English railroad guard approached Abhoya and her husband. Contrary to all precedent, he volunteered his services.

"Babu," he said, "give me the money. I will buy your tickets while you get aboard." As soon as the couple was seated and had received the tickets, the train slowly moved forward. In panic, the engineer and passengers clambered again to their places, knowing neither how the train started, nor why it had stopped in the first place.

It should be noted that Lahiri Mahasaya's guru, Mahavatar Babaji, although recorded as being born November 30, 203 AD, is said to be still alive, making him 1800 years old. Reports continue to surface of sightings and meetings with Babaji. It is said that in 1954, at his ashram near Badrinath, in the Garwhal Himalayas, Babaji initiated S.A.A.

Ramaiah into a complete system of 144 Kriyas, or practical techniques, involving postures, breathing, meditation, mantras and devotional techniques. Others have reported seeing him as late as October 1999.

Said to be associated with the mysterious Gyanganj (Jnanaganj) hermitage somewhere in Tibet -- a secret place of great masters. Gyanganj is also known as Shambhala and sometimes Shangri-La.

யோகியார். வேதம். (Yogiyar vedham)
Anaivarum vaazhga vaLamudan!--..Thalaivar,
Sidhdhar Babaji YogaSram,
2/682,10th cross st,Renga Reddy garden,
(Opp. Hotchips new HOTEL)
Neelankarai, Chennai-600041

philji
17-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Chamundihari, i am interested in yogi ramiah but there is very little info on the internet. Do you know if his system differs greatly from Lahiri/yogananada etc?

Miss Hepburn
08-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Lahiri Mahasaya Babaji

At the age of 33 he met his Guru Babaji near Ranikhet in the Himalayas, who revealed to him the ancient missing form of Kriya-Yoga and instructed him to initiate any sincere seekers who may be so interested. Thus a prosperity of Kriya Yoga began in the year 1861....

Thank you for this!
:smile:

kumarjitghoshal
22-06-2012, 05:54 AM
OM NAMO BHAGAVATE VASUDEVAYA

Present
25-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Any one interested in Sri Yogiraj Lahiri Mahasaya should read the autobiography
Purana Purusha authored by Dr Ashoke Kumar Chatterjee. I highly recommend this work! The author is a known kriya master of the original kriya yoga as handed down from its original source.

There are many kriya yoga organizations and groups around today all claiming to have the original kriya of Babaji. Kriya yoga of the Panchanon Bhattacharya lineage is as close to the original kriya as handed down from Sri Lahiri Baba. Finding a kriya teacher who belongs to this lineage is not easy.

Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya.

Present

Present
25-06-2012, 05:27 AM
Chamundihari, i am interested in yogi ramiah but there is very little info on the internet. Do you know if his system differs greatly from Lahiri/yogananada etc?

Philji you can do an internet search by typing in the words Yogi S. A. A. Ramaiah and get the whole history (Rather long too) of him. Also you will find the name of his direct follower who has established himself in spreading Ramaiah's kriyayoga. His name is Yogi Ram Sunthar and he has a website. Also there is a website for Sidhdhar Babaji Yogasram where you can read the exact same information which has been posted by Chamundihari. Check it out!

Om Shanti,
Present

Present
11-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Since there appears to be an interest in Sri Lahiri Mahasaya Babaji I would like to post some quotes supposedly made by him while he lived in this world.

"It is worth remembering- the world is nothing but longings in different forms. The person who has been able to transcend longings in their various forms is a real sanyasi. His sacrifice is divine sattwik." (sattwik= pure, worthy, good).

"Banat, banat bani jayee." Keep on trying, you will eventually succeed.

"Do not be idle. Practice kriya. Do not wait for advice to practice kriya."

"Realization occurs through Kutastha."

Present
15-07-2012, 04:47 AM
For more information regarding Lahiri Mahasaya visit Wikipedia's page. A great source with a lot of information. Also visit Wikipedia's page for Panchanon Bhattarcharya. You will find a lot of information here too!

Peace, Light, and Love To All.
:hug3:

Kali
20-07-2012, 01:23 PM
aum kria babaji namaho

oliness
29-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Has anybody met Babaji recently? There are so many incredible (in both senses of the word) stories in Yogananda's Autobiography that I am a bit sceptical. It would be wonderful if Babaji really does exist and we can learn from him.

Kali
30-07-2012, 03:20 AM
"Master, I must have disappointed you by my abrupt departure from my duties here; I thought you might be angry with me."

"No, of course not! Wrath springs only from thwarted desires. I do not expect anything from others, so their actions cannot be in opposition to wishes of mine. I would not use you for my own ends; I am happy only in your own true happiness." -autobiography of a yogi

Present
30-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Lahiri Mahasaya" babaji"
OM Kriya Babaji Namah OM

Tasmai Sri Gurave Namah!

Vasudev
18-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Lahiri Maharshi was krishnas brother, Balram in a previous life these masters come over the centuries in different roles to show us the way to god

muthink
02-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Yogananda said all anthropomorphic concepts of God disappear when you merge with the Infinite. Lahiri Mahasaya (LM) said Babaji was Krishna. But he also said he himself was Krishna. In essence LM was saying he was Babaji, right? Or perhaps not? What people don't know about LM is that he would tailor his Kriya lesson to the belief system of the person he was teaching, even if that person was an atheist! To those who needed the authority of the Guru, he would invoke Babaji (a younger version of himself). To those who believed in the Gods, he would invoke Shiva!

Another time he said, "Only Kriya is truth."

Are you starting to get the picture?

We humans are caught up in belief systems, which according to LM are all illusions. The form of an avatar is also an illusion. Why in fact, you cannot take a picture of them and the hand can even pass right through them! So, was it inconceivable that LM would materialize a Babaji for the non-believers? No, it is not at all outside the scope of yogic powers. And it is no lie if he says that is Krishna in the illusionary role of Babaji.

But we are missing the point; all of us. LM was trying to say is that all is one. It is all one being in all beings throughout the universe. There is one Guru and that is this One Being in creation, the Son, the Only begotten, Krishna, Christ, Babaji, whatever you want to call it.

He said the Guru was Krishna. The Guru is this one being. If you want to put up a picture of Babaji and call that your Guru, go ahead. I myself don't care about the tales told about Babaji in the AY. It is possible that such an outside charade took place. I am more inclined to believe the stories were interpretations of events by his students and not actual facts.

Do I not believe Babaji exists? Of course Babaji exists, but he is not a person like you and I with three bodies bound to Maya. (He may make an image appear of a body) He is Krishna, the one Being behind all beings, an unbounded spirit. The Guru is always alive, because he is your own consciousness, your own Higher Self.

Why are we giving our power away? Why are we putting our faith in a picture, or even in the form of a man when we have eternal spirit as our Guru? Well, you will find at the root of all these myths about Gurus is the need for organizational survival, self-importance and basic ignorance.

Just focus on the Om, surrender to the Guru principle and call it whatever you wish. You will reach your goal if you keep pressing ahead. But do question everything and be not afraid to step over imaginary boundaries. Be like a scientist with Kriya.

I am writing a book called "Kriya Secrets Revealed." It will answer all your questions about Kriya Yoga and divulges the various Kriya techniques out there. Please look for it on Amazon if you are interested (in about two weeks.) It is a workbook and attempts to guide the student as hopefully Lahiri Mahasaya would do.

Many blessings,
JC Stevens

Present
06-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Ennio Nimis wrote his Kriya Yoga Synthesis of a Personal Experience which can be downloaded for free or you may read it for free. He does go into great detail on the kriya yoga techniques he has learned over a lifetime. Mr. Nimis started practicing kriya pranayam at an early age. He is now well into his 80's. His writings are a tell all of the kriya yoga secrets as he felt this knowledge should be shared with all of humanity and not kept secret by organizations, groups , or institutes.

JC, Stevens ----" But, we are missing the point; all of us. LM was trying to say all is one."
To write that everyone is missing the point is not an accurate statement. To the dedicated and practicing kriya yogi the realization of "all is one" is revealed. So also is the revelation of what "God" is and is not. Best to write something like perhaps some of us are missing the point. (just a suggestion).
Also JC, Lahiri Mahasaya would not have initiated an atheist into kriya yoga.
He did set some guidelines as to who was eligible for initiation into kriya yoga.
:)

Many Blessings to You Also,
Jai Guru Lahiri Mahasaya

Aquarian
08-09-2012, 03:28 AM
I believe I have met Sri Lahiri in spirit and I do not say this lightly. I hope it was him as dark entities are outnumbering light in my astral/ideational locales by 10,000 to 2 as it is. He certainly shone as a celestial being.
I have not met Babaji though.

Present
13-09-2012, 12:41 AM
I believe I have met Sri Lahiri in spirit and I do not say this lightly. I hope it was him as dark entities are outnumbering light in my astral/ideational locales by 10,000 to 2 as it is. He certainly shone as a celestial being.
I have not met Babaji though.

Sounds like whatever celestial beings are shining out there it might be a good thing to imploy their aid as you write "dark entities outnumber light in your astral / ideational locales." Are you referring to your chakras?

Aquarian
13-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Present.

Did you see this post (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=611630#post611630)?

Present
14-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Yes, Aquarian I have!

I sincerely wish you the very best! May you be free from these dark entities which you write about!

Peace, Love, and Light!