PDA

View Full Version : Question About Buddhism

Swingdance
16-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't much about Buddhism, but is it actually more of a philosophy than a religion? If so, why is it regarded as a religion?

mattie
16-11-2011, 11:13 PM
...is it actually more of a philosophy than a religion? ...

It's both. This could be said of all religions.

The level of organization of a religious philosophy governs whether it is a religion. While Buddhism is less organized than other religions that are highly structured w/ substantial worldwide bureaucracies, it still has the element of being organized. Buddhism’s organization tends to be in groups by country.

pre-dawn
17-11-2011, 04:02 AM
I don't much about Buddhism, but is it actually more of a philosophy than a religion? If so, why is it regarded as a religion?
Philosophy is the theory, religion is the praxis.

psychoslice
17-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Buddhism is just a name, it points to your true nature, so much garbage has been added to it over many years, Gautama would be rolling in his grave if he only knew lol.

Maiya
17-11-2011, 05:21 AM
I agree with mattie. It's both a religion and a philosophy. Many less religious people prefer to see it as a philosophy; a way of life.

I also agree with psychoslice that it often appears more complex than it actually is.

Buddhism is for many people a chosen lifestyle. There's no need to become a Buddhist to live by Buddhist type beliefs. The whole philosophy is based on getting in touch with your true nature, your god nature or your Buddha nature, the real you at the core of your being.

psychoslice
17-11-2011, 05:24 AM
I agree with mattie. It's both a religion and a philosophy. Many less religious people prefer to see it as a philosophy; a way of life.

I also agree with psychoslice that it often appears more complex than it actually is.

Buddhism is for many people a chosen lifestyle. There's no need to become a Buddhist to live by Buddhist type beliefs. The whole philosophy is based on getting in touch with your true nature, your god nature or your Buddha nature, the real you at the core of your being.
Yes, I like very much, great words.:smile:

CSEe
17-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Just sharing . In my current understanding , Buddhism is a search to know own awareness by being awake . Is never a religion .

Thks
CSEe

Maiya
17-11-2011, 04:36 PM
psychoslice, thank you for those kind words.

bagua7
18-11-2011, 08:42 PM
It's Religion if you follow others' path. It is a philosophy when you follow your own experience. ;)

pre-dawn
19-11-2011, 03:54 AM
It's Religion if you follow others' path. It is a philosophy when you follow your own experience. ;)
I am going to talk about the BIG experience, so let's not quibble about how we experienced our breakfast today.

There is no shortage of descriptions about what experience you can expect to experience. Long before any spiritual experiences occur one would have read, or heard about them. These experiences seem to be universal, and not restricted to Buddhism either, but the result is that whatever one experiences will be interpreted in the light of one's knowledge.

To imagine that one can follow one's own experience is a pipedream, actually a nightmare from which everybody has to wake up sooner or later.

Give me the name of guru or spiritual teacher alive today who has said anything ground-breakingly new. Not new to you, or new descriptions of experiences, but new in the sense that it was not known to anyone before.

thunderseed
20-11-2011, 10:20 AM

It is not really a religion, nor is it really a philosophy. It IS a way of life, it is also very structured. It's like a path to a peace. It is about mindfulness. There is not a belief of a higher power, at least not in my understanding and study.
It's ancient, Sanskrit. Buddhism originated in India, which is now dominated by Hinduism, which is also not classified as a religion, then it spread to China through Bodhidharma.
... Siddhartha Guatama (Buddha) grew up sheltered from life, it is said even that his father had servants remove wilted flower pedals from the gardens so that Siddhartha never found out that flowers could die, by the time he found out about pain, suffering, misery, death, and humanity, he vowed to find the answer to suffering, he wanted to know the meaning to life, but mostly he wanted to know how to have peace.

That is what Buddhism is about.

It is said that he spent many years mastering all types of religions before he became the enlightened one. These religions did not satisfy him. It was the act of meditation that "enlightened" him. Actually it was over one night. During the first half of the night, he realized about karma. During the second half he recognized the great unity of all things, the nature of suffering, and how to end suffering. By dawn he was a Buddha, an "enlightened one".

Maiya
20-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I watched this recently and it was wonderful.

Siddhartha (1972)

The story of a young Indian who embarks upon a journey to find the meaning of existence. Based on the novel by Hermann Hesse. It is a great film: It is by all accounts, a true Hesse's commentary on the meaning of life and man's condition on earth.

Mayflow
20-11-2011, 04:22 PM
I watched this recently and it was wonderful.

Siddhartha (1972)

The story of a young Indian who embarks upon a journey to find the meaning of existence. Based on the novel by Hermann Hesse. It is a great film: It is by all accounts, a true Hesse's commentary on the meaning of life and man's condition on earth.

Have you read the book? I liked the movie too, but that is one of my favorite books of ever. I read it as a kid and just a bit ago again.

Maiya
21-11-2011, 11:39 AM
No but I will try to find it. Thanks.

Mayflow
21-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I think it will add a lot to the meaning if you do. You can get it free online by doing a google search (I can't post url's here yet).

Maiya
21-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I'll do that or you could PM me the addie.

Thanks again.

Mayflow
22-11-2011, 12:01 AM
I will PM it to you. PM is sent. It's a free literacy site and only posts works not presently under copyright, but lots of good literature is available.

Project Gutenberg is another great site for free books that have no present copyrights.