PDA

View Full Version : Best Path To Enlightenment

mythicman2011
13-11-2011, 01:38 PM
In peoples opinion what is the best way to achieve Enlightenment?

Would love opinions on what you think is best!

A seeker

Humm
13-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Let it happen is best - just not always easiest. :wink:

earthprowler
13-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Imo no two paths will ever be the same on finding what's right for you. Just go with what feels right and you'll get there. But always ask questions.

moke64916
13-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Only two words for all of spirituality explained and your question of how to find enlightenment. These two words is resistance and acceptance. Resist what is you are still your ego and will not be enlightened. Resistance is the human condition itself. Most people are unaware that they resist snd what causes this resistance is the ego which is a false identity that people think they are. Kind of like being posessed. The answer for enlightenment is to accept whatxis in every given moment with everything the moment presents. I do say this simple truth is the hardest thing to do in spirituality. The ego tries to gain back control by trying to accept by thought if something bothers you, which is rssiatence giving the ego back its power. I experienced this which was an up and down occurrence, until I cane to the conclusion it is what it is, and I cannot change it. And it is crazy to resist anything at all. Bit just leads to pain. This is what will lead you to a permenant state of being.

2). Focus breathing in your belly throughout the entire day. This will bring you present in the moment and it allows that mind body connection with perfect bsksce to occur, which is when being or enlightenment is exoerienced.

moke64916
13-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Imo no two paths will ever be the same on finding what's right for you. Just go with what feels right and you'll get there. But always ask questions.
The problem with going with what just feels right could be what the ego feels right, and thSt person believes it. But it could be false all along. Ego has to be gone entirely for enlightenment to happen.

Moonglow
13-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Hello,

Expressing a view point.

Drop expectation. By setting up expecting that one should be this way or that and if one does not obtain that level somehow one is flawed, then one is only defeating oneself.

Do the best with what one has. Be open and appreciate the gifts that are given.

As far as I can see there is no set goal(s) except what one sets for oneself.

It is good to "let go" of what no longer serves, but if one feels he/she needs to hang on to something at this time, that is OK as well. Just look and listen to ones inner wisdom.

Others may have ideas, philosophies, theologies, and even ways that work for him/her, but these ways may not be for everyone. Have ones heart and wisdom be the guide.

Not putting down anyone belief or teachings, just saying that at times these can lead to expectations that may lead someone to undue stress because it may be felt if one does not meet these guidelines or goals one has failed or is somehow flawed.

IMO, it is not about being perfect or imperfect, but about doing the best one can do. Seeing and having faith in ones potential.

Not attempting to preach just expressing how I view this at this time.

One is ones own enlightenment.

Thanks for letting me express this

seahorse
13-11-2011, 03:31 PM

A seeker
Listen to your inner voice, have an open mind but not too open to fall off, oh and stay as far away as you can from people who brag in forum threads they know everything and hold the key to YOUR salvation and enlightenment. Following others is abandoning your own path and , who knows, they might be more lost than you lol. Trust in Spirit as you're an equal child of the Universe, same as everyone else :wink:

Verunia
13-11-2011, 04:15 PM
There is no one true path. It's all an individual journey, and even then you should not aim to reach it. Reaching for enlightenment is akin to running into the depths of a mirror. You'll only find yourself, very confused.

Miss Hepburn
13-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Hello Mr. mythicman, welcome here.
There are other threads on this same subject if you want to try and find them, btw...

Best way is tricky because we are all different, naturally.
Enlightenment - would have to be defined by each person.

If a person would like to see more than these 5 senses brings to us -
If a person wishes for joy, peace, happiness, bliss, knowledge, and wisdom-
If a person is seeking union with God-
If a person wants to break free of incarnating here-
If a person wants to consciously be able to leave his body upon passing-
If a person wants to feel The Presence of the Divine each moment-

See? I can tell you people that any one of those
means enlightenment - a word I never even use, btw.

I know what I do - but it may not work for you --but, it is so working for me.
And I am continually learning into eternity.
:smile: Miss Hepburn

Good luck and God bless...

TzuJanLi
13-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Greetings..

Clarity.. the willingness to experience what is actually happening, rather than to accept the stories told by others as true for 'you'..

Be well..

mattie
13-11-2011, 07:08 PM
TRUST self. Have patience & respect for one’s learning process.
Have fun exploring spirituality. Move through fears & limitations. Be flexible about beliefs.
Do the various work in mastering one’s emotions & thoughts, developing discernment, (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12105) distanced observer (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=176685#post176685), discharging unwanted energies (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=189540#post189540), doing regular energy work like grounding (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=273387#post273387), connecting w/ HS (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=254418#post254418), & feeling JOY regularly.

Newbie→Lightworker→Wayshower- http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=150153#post150153

Awakening, Enlightenment, Ascension- http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=360355#post360355

Xan
14-11-2011, 02:30 AM
The best path to enlightenment for anyone is whatever understandings and practices allow them to experience the unboundaried silence of pure beingness,
while the personal self is surrendering and becoming free in that awareness.

Xan

psychoslice
14-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Yes I agree with Tzu, if anyone gives you a path to follow, it will be their path not yours, you must make your own path, don't follow others, in fact there is no path, your already there.

Gem
14-11-2011, 02:46 AM
Greetings..

Clarity.. the willingness to experience what is actually happening, rather than to accept the stories told by others as true for 'you'..

Be well..

I generally stear away from terms like enlightenment, and it seems to me such a term distracts, where I hold the conviction that attention should remain very much in the present... I mean the awareness of being present.

Topology
14-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Enlightenment is not what you -think- it is, so while you pursue it, it will elude you.

Simply live your life under the endeavor to learn everything you can, investigate everything and follow your curiosity. Beware of becoming a follower of anyone or any movement. Life's secrets reveal themselves through experience and observation.

Animus27
14-11-2011, 03:46 AM
There is no one true path. It's all an individual journey, and even then you should not aim to reach it. Reaching for enlightenment is akin to running into the depths of a mirror. You'll only find yourself, very confused.
I like that! :icon_thumright:

Animus27
14-11-2011, 03:50 AM

A seeker
What enlightenment? There's countless kinds, all defined by the worldview they're convinced by.

The enlightenment of a Platonic Theurgist won't be the enlightenment of a Buddhist; the enlightenment of a Christian mystic will be different from the enlightenment of a post-modern philosopher.

hybrid
14-11-2011, 04:31 AM
Simply live your life under the endeavor to learn everything you can, investigate everything and follow your curiosity. Beware of becoming a follower of anyone or any movement. Life's secrets reveal themselves through experience and observation.

wow that's a very enlightened post!

God-Like
14-11-2011, 04:26 PM

A seeker

Hi M.M.

Focus the Intention on the self . That's all one does .

x daz x

Miss Hepburn
14-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi M.M.

Focus the Intention on the self . That's all one does .

x daz x

Then I'd say - do that for a month entirely, focusing on the self...
Next month -focus entirely on others...
Following month focus entirely on God...
Then next month just live your life and flow...focus on enjoying.

Play around with the above. Report back to us in 4 months.

God-Like
14-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Then I'd say - do that for a month entirely, focusing on the self...
Next month -focus entirely on others...
Following month focus entirely on God...
Then next month just live your life and flow...focus on enjoying.

Play around with the above. Report back to us in 4 months.

Hi Miss H - hope are well :smile:

The self Is the others . The self Is God . All Is self .

Devotion of the self excludes no thing .

It's just that by focusing on the Individual self allows that loving expression outwardly .

Although there are no In-and-outs, but the focus seems to be localised Inwardly .

x daz x

Xan
14-11-2011, 09:08 PM
What enlightenment? There's countless kinds, all defined by the worldview they're convinced by.

The enlightenment of a Platonic Theurgist won't be the enlightenment of a Buddhist; the enlightenment of a Christian mystic will be different from the enlightenment of a post-modern philosopher.

If there are religious and cultural differences,
beyond the varying words used to describe the experience,
then it's not the enlightenment of awareness in universal Being.

Xan

hootie
14-11-2011, 09:37 PM

A seeker

Everyone seems to have a different opinion about this which leads me to believe either they are not enlightened or there are different types of enlightenment.
For myself, I beleive I have been enlightened but I am still reaching new depths of my discoveries. My journey was a bit unusual because I was not looking for anything amazing to happen, it just happened. It came through a very painful process of self analysis and looking for ways to improve my life.
It will happen for you through a process of disillusionment.
Ask yourself profound questions about what life really means and where you fit in the "big picture".
Question everything. Reason out if it rings true or not.
We are all made of the same basic stuff, so we should all be capable of reaching this stage of development called enlightenment.:hug3:

Xan
14-11-2011, 09:39 PM
It's a common saying:

One enlightenment, many paths to it.

Xan

moke64916
15-11-2011, 08:27 PM
When resistance goes away there is nothing left but who you truly are and have been all along, without stress, resistance. Though it takes a complete loss of identity and not knowing if you are either experiencing the greatest delusion or the greatest truth there is. It's then when that choice of it being a delusion or truth will guide you to your experience from there on out. Think delusion, then get caught up in the same patterns. Otherwise live the rest of your life with grace forever. Amen.

Animus27
15-11-2011, 09:10 PM
If there are religious and cultural differences,
beyond the varying words used to describe the experience,
then it's not the enlightenment of awareness in universal Being.

Xan
My point was that there are different ideas of enlightenment. Just as yours is "awareness in universal Being".

Miss Hepburn
15-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Hi Miss H - hope are well :smile:

The self Is the others . The self Is God . All Is self .

Devotion of the self excludes no thing .

It's just that by focusing on the Individual self allows that loving expression outwardly .

Although there are no In-and-outs, but the focus seems to be localised Inwardly .

x daz x
Ah yes, of course, but being "here" were there are dualities and separation...by doing that exercise one sees for themselves the gap closes - the separation isn't really there.
It's an exercise of seeing there are indeed no lines.
I only look like I was born yesterday.
:wink:

Xan
16-11-2011, 01:17 AM
My point was that there are different ideas of enlightenment. Just as yours is "awareness in universal Being".

Yes, there are different ideas about it. But... enlightenment is not an idea.

It's entirely experiential and beyond the thinking mind.

Xan

Xan
16-11-2011, 01:20 AM
daz: It's just that by focusing on the Individual self allows that loving expression outwardly .

Yes... some describe it not only as our inner self but the 'interior of the universe'.

Those dimensions of reality and of us that are non-physical... such as pure love.

Xan

mattie
16-11-2011, 02:30 AM
daz: It's just that by focusing on the Individual self allows that loving expression outwardly .

Yes... some describe it not only as our inner self but the 'interior of the universe'.

Those dimensions of reality and of us that are non-physical... such as pure love.
Xan

There is some irony that to achieve Oneness w/ the Universe we connect deeply within. Works though!

Xan
16-11-2011, 02:42 AM
Connecting With All By Going Deeply Within

Yep... that's it.

Xan

LishBliss
16-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Sannyas
(And no, it is not suppression. It's renunciation. And yes, they living in bliss.)

LishBliss
16-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh, and with that... having an enlightened spiritual master, a guru.

LishBliss
16-11-2011, 10:12 AM
It's a necessity.

Miss Hepburn
16-11-2011, 01:38 PM
It's a necessity.
Hi LishBliss,

How interesting you would say that.
I just wrote here yesterday I am re-thinking the whole Guru - devotee
relationship.

A necessity? Or ultimately a limitation?

There were other threads on this - I felt differently just a couple months ago.
Don't get me wrong, I have
so much respect for yogis and gurus - but, they take you "so far".

So, I'm now wondering - once there is the initiation and the lessons taught -
why "cling" still to the guru...not that the love and gratitude are ever gone.

I'm thinking now the guru should be teaching the student to fly on his
own, outside the nest.

Notice the Sikhs eliminated the "Guru" as a person. After the 10th Guru proclaimed the scripture
Sri Guru Granth Sahib the eternal Guru - the main proponent being
meditating on God's Holy Name. (Which is unspeakable and taught by my guru.)

I'm not firm on this, what do I know.
But, I did have one for 35 years.

Even with Sri Yukteswar and Yogananda I see the limitation.

Babaji didn't have a guru, nor Buddha - so I just question if the necessity is an antiquated belief system taught by Hindus...which I subscribed to for decades.

As Christians subscribe to needing Jesus as a Savior.

Shrug.

moke64916
16-11-2011, 02:11 PM
It's a necessity.
It's not necessary. Spiritual teachingsand masters themselves don't teach truth. I don't know how a master could not know the truth of one word and it's opposite that explains all of spirituality, ego, and pain body. One da** word. RESISTENCE and NONRESISTENCE.. I'm confused how a master doesn't know this and lives his life enlightened. Lol. It's weird. AA master would create throuh his teachings more masters. Speak the truth and and have people learn through their experience. I think a master would not want followes. Just more people to live what he is. Peace.

CuriousSnowflake
16-11-2011, 02:45 PM

A seeker
I gotta play Mistress Mary on this one. Your question, IMHO, contains three assumptions that I believe are well worth questioning themselves. First, it assumes that an idea of an absolute and objective "best" exists. Second it assumes that a state we call "enlightenment" exists as some sort of end product. Third, it combines the two and assumes that achieving this "enlightenment" is somehow "best".

I don't think any of these are true, personally. "Best" is not objective, it is a subjective idea based upon human-created preferences and desires. We wish to do, be, or have something, there are less and more efficient ways of achieving that. Change the desire, you change the idea of "best", sometimes 180 degrees. Take, for example, driving a car. The idea of the "best" way to drive is very different for someone going to the grocery store than it is for someone driving to the hospital with a woman in labor in the back seat. Same basic action, but in one case you want to get to the hospital ASAP, in the other you just want some cookie dough ice cream. :wink:

Same with "enlightenment". Are we so very arrogant to think, with how much further we could advance physiologically and socially, that we are even capable of reaching some kind of spiritual pinnacle in our current state, assuming it even exists? Even Yeshua ben Yosef, whom many consider to be the perfect "Son of God", doubted, feared, was tempted, and lost his temper. Obviously, there is a spectrum of consciousness, but this is just as much built upon the foundation of human preferences as are our ideas of "best". It's kind of like notes on a piano. A high B-flat has a higher vibration than a low F#, but it is not a "better" note. Better depends upon context, and context depends upon a human deciding what that context is in relationship to his or her desires.

Most importantly, and in direct response to the OP, how could there be a perfect way, a universal path in such a situation? We are, to use my favorite analogy, snowflakes, each of one substance but unique in structure and appearance. If there are different ways to drive a car, how many different roads could there be to Godhead? There are, of course, better and worse ways for an individual soul to work towards their own ideas of spiritual perfection, but again, this plumbs into the realm of subjectivity.

So unfortunately, the question in the OP falls apart when closely examined. Thankfully, the resulting pieces make for some good discussions. :D

CS

CuriousSnowflake
16-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Only two words for all of spirituality explained and your question of how to find enlightenment. These two words is resistance and acceptance. Resist what is you are still your ego and will not be enlightened. Resistance is the human condition itself. Most people are unaware that they resist snd what causes this resistance is the ego which is a false identity that people think they are. Kind of like being posessed. The answer for enlightenment is to accept whatxis in every given moment with everything the moment presents. I do say this simple truth is the hardest thing to do in spirituality. The ego tries to gain back control by trying to accept by thought if something bothers you, which is rssiatence giving the ego back its power. I experienced this which was an up and down occurrence, until I cane to the conclusion it is what it is, and I cannot change it. And it is crazy to resist anything at all. Bit just leads to pain. This is what will lead you to a permenant state of being.

I agree with your techniques wholeheartedly, but you are still running under the assumption that we "should" work towards "enlightenment", rather than enlightenment being just another one of the myriad choices available to human experience. In truth, unless we understand that the search for enlightenment is just another desire, we cannot really work towards it, since that would be denial of What Is, wouldn't it? :wink:

CS

Jyotir
16-11-2011, 02:54 PM

A seeker

Hi mythicman,

The 'best way' is the one that spontaneously works for you to aspire in the here and now - which seeks to fulfill your greatest potential and satisfies the Highest within simultaneously.

~ J

Humm
16-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I gotta play Mistress Mary on this one. Your question, IMHO, contains three assumptions that I believe are well worth questioning themselves. First, it assumes that an idea of an absolute and objective "best" exists. Second it assumes that a state we call "enlightenment" exists as some sort of end product. Third, it combines the two and assumes that achieving this "enlightenment" is somehow "best".

I don't think any of these are true, personally. "Best" is not objective, it is a subjective idea based upon human-created preferences and desires. We wish to do, be, or have something, there are less and more efficient ways of achieving that. Change the desire, you change the idea of "best", sometimes 180 degrees. Take, for example, driving a car. The idea of the "best" way to drive is very different for someone going to the grocery store than it is for someone driving to the hospital with a woman in labor in the back seat. Same basic action, but in one case you want to get to the hospital ASAP, in the other you just want some cookie dough ice cream. :wink:

Same with "enlightenment". Are we so very arrogant to think, with how much further we could advance physiologically and socially, that we are even capable of reaching some kind of spiritual pinnacle in our current state, assuming it even exists? Even Yeshua ben Yosef, whom many consider to be the perfect "Son of God", doubted, feared, was tempted, and lost his temper. Obviously, there is a spectrum of consciousness, but this is just as much built upon the foundation of human preferences as are our ideas of "best".

Most importantly, and in direct response to the OP, how could there be a perfect way, a universal path in such a situation? We are, to use my favorite analogy, snowflakes, each of one substance but unique in structure and appearance. If there are different ways to drive a car, how many different roads could there be to Godhead? There are, of course, better and worse ways for an individual soul to work towards their own ideas of spiritual perfection, but again, this plumbs into the realm of subjectivity.

So unfortunately, the question in the OP falls apart when closely examined. Thankfully, the resulting pieces make for some good discussions. :D

CS
BRILLIANT!! :hug3:

'Enlightenment' means many things to different people. I also have observed the assumption that everybody is talking about the same thing when the word is mentioned, but it is really not so.

Also, the truth of human spirituality demands that intention and capability be utilized in it's realization, in whatever form - we must utilize awareness and apply ourselves in some way. This negates any generic 'technique' from total efficacy.

Consciousness not only has spectrum, it has dimension as well, and I believe there is a (potential) place and a purpose for all forms it may take. I (personally) believe there is a certain ultimate endgame, but we may never see that in human form - everything in between is pretty open and dynamic!

Well said CS. *Bows* :smile:

CuriousSnowflake
16-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Hello Mr. mythicman, welcome here.
There are other threads on this same subject if you want to try and find them, btw...

Best way is tricky because we are all different, naturally.
Enlightenment - would have to be defined by each person.

If a person would like to see more than these 5 senses brings to us -
If a person wishes for joy, peace, happiness, bliss, knowledge, and wisdom-
If a person is seeking union with God-
If a person wants to break free of incarnating here-
If a person wants to consciously be able to leave his body upon passing-
If a person wants to feel The Presence of the Divine each moment-

See? I can tell you people that any one of those
means enlightenment - a word I never even use, btw.

I know what I do - but it may not work for you --but, it is so working for me.
And I am continually learning into eternity.
:smile: Miss Hepburn

Good luck and God bless...

Nicely put, all those "ifs". Human preference, human desire, and the manifestation of them. It's all about what we want, why, and how we choose to go about getting them.

CS

CuriousSnowflake
16-11-2011, 06:33 PM
BRILLIANT!! :hug3:

'Enlightenment' means many things to different people. I also have observed the assumption that everybody is talking about the same thing when the word is mentioned, but it is really not so.

Also, the truth of human spirituality demands that intention and capability be utilized in it's realization, in whatever form - we must utilize awareness and apply ourselves in some way. This negates any generic 'technique' from total efficacy.

Consciousness not only has spectrum, it has dimension as well, and I believe there is a (potential) place and a purpose for all forms it may take. I (personally) believe there is a certain ultimate endgame, but we may never see that in human form - everything in between is pretty open and dynamic!

Well said CS. *Bows* :smile:

::bows in return::

I think that there is more than just a "potential" place and purpose, I think "for everything there is a season", and that nothing exists or happens that does not fit perfectly into this great jigsaw puzzle/clockwork we call physicality. To say that something is "wrong" (inherently) is to negate or greatly diminish any idea of the Divine, since for something to be "wrong" the Divine would either have to be 1) powerless to change it (a limitation) or 2) accepting of the inherently "wrong", implying cruelty, capriciousness, or callousness (all limits). The only other options are either that "wrong" is completely human-created and arbitrary, or that there is no Divine and this is all "sound and fury, signifying nothing". Guess which option I pick. :D

CS

God-Like
16-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Ah yes, of course, but being "here" were there are dualities and separation...by doing that exercise one sees for themselves the gap closes - the separation isn't really there.
It's an exercise of seeing there are indeed no lines.
I only look like I was born yesterday.
:wink:

Hi Miss H.

Who Is here - and where Is here . Are the two not the same?

x daz x

God-Like
16-11-2011, 09:15 PM

Xan

It Is multi-dimensional and beyond - Isn't It xan . Going Inwards so to speak Is actually going everywhere (lol) . Going Inwards draws our attention to the self that Is All there Is within or of the mind .

x dazzle x .

Xan
17-11-2011, 01:08 AM
A master would create through his teachings more masters.... I think a master would not want followers. Just more people to live what he is.

Yep... that's so.

Xan

n2mec
20-11-2011, 03:40 PM
for me, to set sails for blue waters where landsend with calm sea and steady winds at close haul.

iolite
20-11-2011, 03:51 PM

A seeker

Go within...spend time in quiet introspection...listening to the quiet inside you... not the chatter.. but the spaces of quiet in between....

Start paying attention to your intuition...see where it leads you...start to be aware of synchronicity...and spend time being in the moment..not thinking about things in the past or items on your "to do list" or work, school or home... just be aware of the "now"..if you are outside, for instance, be aware of the crisp fall air, the beautiful fall colors, the acrid smell of someone burning wood in the fire place, the blue sky, etc...

hootie
20-11-2011, 04:10 PM
For me, it's wanting the experience and knowing everything is possible if given enough time.

Free4ever
20-11-2011, 06:59 PM

A seeker
I don't relate to how. It happened when I was 11 years old. So I never had to achieve it. It's just normal to me. I don't know anything else.

God-Like
20-11-2011, 08:10 PM

A seeker

Hi M.M.

The best way to achieve enlightenment Is to not 'want' to achieve It .

The experience only becomes an Individual when the attention Is on the self .

Enlightenment Is a just a side effect of self realization he hehehe .

x daz x

hootie
20-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi M.M.

The best way to achieve enlightenment Is to not 'want' to achieve It .

The experience only becomes an Individual when the attention Is on the self .

Enlightenment Is a just a side effect of self realization he hehehe .

x daz x

That's similiar to want I meant. Taking time to self-actualize and in the process revelations occur. This to me is enlightenment.