PDA

View Full Version : Hinduism in Simple Terms

Ree
11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
where can i learn more about hinduism ? not in terms of books but maybe somewhere online?

just in very simple terms so i can get my head around it!

Thanks Ree

Uma
11-11-2011, 10:24 PM
SATCHITANANDOHAM
It's Sanskrit for "I am blissful conscious being."
If you know that, you know all of Hinduism and every other religion besides.

If you really need LOTS AND LOTS of details, I suggest Vivekananda, Swami Sivananda, or any of the great sages who write about Hindu teachings from personal experience.

philji
12-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Hinduism is a vast subject and not like christianity or other religions with one book one teaching etc. HInduism has many schools of thought but the essenec is that God/spirit/atma is in all beings. We are all on a journey to discover this true self within us all. Meditation, mantra, yoga etc are methods to help us. Depending on your temperment there are methods to suit such as devotion, knowledge, meditation etc.
The various hindu gods are beings to help us, inspire us and guide us but they in essence are not different to us.
Try reading the Bhagavad GIta or the upanisads for more depth.
i think there is also a hindu dharma forum on web that is helpful.

m.namasivayam
01-12-2011, 12:43 AM
It is very difficult to understand hinduism even by reading a lot of books published.We people living in india having multi colour,culture,castes,languages,belief,worship of gods and goddesses,rural deities and ghosts,rituals and practices are called hindus.

Mayflow
01-12-2011, 12:53 AM
http://www.bhagavad-gita.us/

kinneretov
05-12-2011, 02:31 PM
are there website to learn hinduism?

chaitanyaram
26-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Hi,

An interesting fact is that the word "Hinduism" has it's origin from Muslim invaders, who called the river "Sindhu" - Hindu. And the people, "Hindus".

Indian culture has it's roots in the Vedic scriptures, or texts, and is more properly termed "Vedic culture". Also, another interesting fact, is that the original system of organizing society was not a system based on birth, that because someone is born in a particular family, automatically they inherit that caste.

It was based on qualification.

Peace to All,
chaitanyaram

Iksvakave1
01-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I am also learning about my religion. I google everything. I am no expert but I have a blog. iksvakave.wordpress.com

By the way Chaitanyaram --- what do you mean Hindusim is not based on birth but inheritence of caste? Isan't that one and the same? If it is different how so? I would like an example.

Iksvakave

Xan
01-03-2012, 04:24 AM
Ree... I second the suggestion to read and study the Bhagavad Gita. My favorite translation for clarity is by Juan Mascaro.

Xan

storymaker
10-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Hare Krishna!

Originally posted by Ree.....

"where can i learn more about hinduism ? not in terms of books but maybe somewhere online?

just in very simple terms so i can get my head around it!

Thanks Ree"
.................................................. .................................................. ..

Dear Ree,

Hinduism, like any other religion, is all about love(Prem), tolerance and non-chalance. And the best teachers to learn about any religion are the babies. If one can become as simple as a baby knowledge automatically comes to him/her through love and faith.

Where there is no simplicity, there is no religion, knowledge, love, peace or happiness.

Lots of love and best wishes,

SM

Joshua_G
11-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Hinduism is a vast subject and not like christianity or other religions with one book one teaching etc. HInduism has many schools of thought but the essenec is that God/spirit/atma is in all beings. We are all on a journey to discover this true self within us all. Meditation, mantra, yoga etc are methods to help us. Depending on your temperment there are methods to suit such as devotion, knowledge, meditation etc.
The various hindu gods are beings to help us, inspire us and guide us but they in essence are not different to us.

It is very difficult to understand hinduism even by reading a lot of books published.We people living in india having multi colour,culture,castes,languages,belief,worship of gods and goddesses,rural deities and ghosts,rituals and practices are called hindus.

Indian culture has it's roots in the Vedic scriptures, or texts, and is more properly termed "Vedic culture".

Hare OM!
All three of you are correct.

It seems to me that non-Hindus can learn a bit about Hinduism, not so much learn Hinduism.

Honza
11-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Just by spending time on these forums and by asking questions you will learn a lot of new stuff about Hinduism and all religions and spiritual practices.

Good Luck!