PDA

View Full Version : Magickal Names

Flowers1992
10-11-2011, 07:20 PM
So I have been doing alot of meditating on my magickal name ( nothing so far lol ) however I'm curious, does anyone on here have a magickal name and what is the story behind it.

Thanks

Blessed be

LadyMoondancer
10-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Some say you shouldn't reveal your magickal name, but I've always let it be known.

The story behind my name LadyMoondancer - I originally took on the name Moondancer - I am a Leo, usually ruled by the Sun, but I have always been a contrary person who does things her own way. I love the moon. I work night shift and sleep in the day. Unless I'm out communing with Nature or at the beach, I hate the sun. He hurts my eyes.
I'm also a former belly dancer. - there's a line in a John Denver song "Poems, Prayers and Promises" where he says he wants to dance across the mountains on the moon. So Moondancer was born.

Back in 2000, I joined an online group and signed on as my cat, then wanted to change it. But there was another Moondancer there, so I stuck "Lady" on my name and that's what I've been ever since. I don't use the word Lady as a title, like a high priestess or anything special. But then again, at my age, I'm entitled to make myself special.

EbonyDoe
11-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Mine's EbonyDoe.

Ebony because I tend to have a dark nature and the deer is the sacred animal to my Goddess and I'm a female so thus Doe

Quintessence
12-11-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't have "a" name, I probably have around a dozen. Each means something slightly different in terms of the aspect it represents. Some I gave to myself, some were given to me by various gods/spirits. I suppose if I strung them all together that would be my "magical" name, but it would be far too long to be practical. >_<

Tanith
14-11-2011, 03:44 AM
I won't reveal my full name, I hope that is alright, but I will share how I discovered it :)

The name Tanith was one that I more or less chose, but at the same time was "given" to me... Back when I was beating myself up, determined to find out what my name was, I got frustrated and stalked into my room where I keep all my books. Books are very special to me and hold a very deep connection to me (don't ask, I'm a nerd, what can I say?). A certain book seemed to pop out above the rest -"Red Unicorn" a very, very special book from my childhood, but a book that I had not thought about in years. The author's name was Tanith.

Something kind of clicked I guess... dunno how else to describe it. I set about learning all I could about the name. It is the name of the Phoenician goddess of love, the moon, and the stars. Tanith also means "Serpent Lady" and the snake is both my Astrological sign and my first spirit guide that I have had since I was a child. After that, it was obvious.

My second name, which would be considered my "last name" if Tanith were my "first name" also came to me in much the same way. The exact same way, actually. I was frustrated, and to get my mind off things I went looking for a book to read (not a name). I picked up (for whatever reason) the fourth book in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles (which was also a dear series from my childhood that I hadn't read in forever) and started to read the back of it. I saw the name of a certain character and I actually heard it spoken to me. I fell in the floor laughing because I couldn't believe my name had been with me all my life.

The second name can mean "sun." So my name is a compilation of "moon" and "sun."

Sorry it's so long n_n; But my explanations always run a bit on the tedious side.

What about you? Do you have a name or are you still seeking it?

LadyMoondancer
14-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Tanith Lee is a good writer -
and your story is not tedious or boring -- maybe we are born storytellers ourselves!

Flowers1992
15-11-2011, 12:29 AM
I love your stories, they keep me from giving in!

I am still searching, I went by a celtic name for awhile Arisod Fritaire - great diviner however I decided its meaning does not fit me, although I have taken to divination I do not think I am 'great' so yes, still on the frustrating quest lol

MoonWillow
21-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I have a name, I feel that mine was chosen for me.

I was doing one of those ' What is your Native American name ' things one day, and the answer I got was one that I particularly related to and liked. But thought no more of it.

A few weeks later on Facebook ( Of all places ) I had a ' like this page ' sent to me..so I opened the link and to my utter surprise it was the link to a mystical book story, and the title of it was the exact same name as the Native American name I had liked so much.

So that was that, and it became my name.

MW.

Osian
21-11-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm loving all your names!! I WANT ONE! lol Just how did you find your names? did u say meditating on it?

norseman
21-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I don't understand the need for a Craft name.

earthprowler
21-11-2011, 06:47 PM
i was still doing witchcraft when i decided to find a name. i don't remember the link i found for it, but it gave you the air, fire, earth.....ect so i combined earth + prowler and whala! :cool:

WhiteWarrior
21-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I was given mine by my spirit guide.

Amethyst
21-11-2011, 09:31 PM

That’s food for thought, Norse – is it really necessary?

When carrying out work a person calls forth the energies from within – as in aligning with their own spirit to raise energy. Just saying, ‘I call forth . . . ’ would work the same, I’m sure!

I use my spirit name, but what difference would it make if I didn’t name myself? Probably none whatsoever.

If anyone wants to know their spirit name, just ask sincerely from the heart – and listen. You may not get it immediately.

Here's something a friend of mine wrote:

"I'd light two altar candles that stand in front of a mirror on my fireplace, then scry just for a while as I said a few words of thanks to all for the guidance, assistance and protection given to me and mine, just as I still do today. It was not long in to my journey, as I had only just started on my path, that I looked at myself in the mirror and asked out loud, 'Who am I and what is my spirit name?' Then I just got on with my day."

"About an hour or so later, my daughter and her friend came down from her bedroom and her friend called me by the wrong name. My daughter laughed out loud as her friend had known me for years. It hit me like a brick that that was my spirit name. It was beautiful and I immediately looked up the meaning."

"To be honest I think I was expecting a name like Isis, Wolf, Moonbeam, Star or Sky but I was not disappointed."

"If you are still not sure of your spirit name, light a candle and look in to a mirror and ask, "Who am I and what is my spirit name?"

"Then just get on with your day your name will come to you from the mouths of others or from your subconscious self when the time is right."

John32241
22-11-2011, 04:55 PM
It is my understanding that our true "spirit name" can not be translated to any spoken or written language. That is because we are known throughout all multi-verses by our unique vibrational signature that is a construction of light and sound.

It is sung by those who encounter us. I do appreciate the need to convert our unique identity to some human understandable verbal expression. It could well be that this can be done for each of us, in every human language that could ever be invented. Or just each person's primary language as they travel through various lifetimes in different cultures and on various worlds of physical expression.

What I find truly interesting is that in our dream state we have no need for names as we identify the energy signature of others time and again intuitively. We are all well known to each other and that will never change.

I hope my small rant is somewhat informative on this subject of our unique spiritual/energetic identification.

John

norseman
22-11-2011, 06:29 PM
A sort-of finger print of the spirit, John ?

John32241
22-11-2011, 07:25 PM
A sort-of finger print of the spirit, John ?

Yes, I do a substantial amount of telepathic work that is strongly related to a person's energy signature.

What most of us are not able to appreciate is that each of us is always connected to all that we are and all that we encounter in every relationship we have. Essentially we experience each other. That full experience seldom reaches any conscious aspect of us. We just pick up on some specific energies that we have selected for that present moment. That is the nature of our human perception of reality. It is divinely intended we function in this manner.

Eventually we will evolve our perspective about the nature of relationships. We will become less fear filled and elevate our compassion to become joyful and pleased with every aspect of ourself and others.

Our finger print is not what we are conditioned to see as our reality at this time. Each of us is a unique expression of love that can not be defined using a human vocabulary.

Our name is eternal. This is my understanding and my truth.

John

norseman
23-11-2011, 08:21 AM
I suppose it is similar to being on both sides of the veil, simultaneously. The "key to the door" is in me and I suspect the ritual is somewhat peripheral.

Amethyst
25-11-2011, 06:05 PM
It is my understanding that our true "spirit name" can not be translated to any spoken or written language. That is because we are known throughout all multi-verses by our unique vibrational signature that is a construction of light and sound.

It is sung by those who encounter us. I do appreciate the need to convert our unique identity to some human understandable verbal expression. It could well be that this can be done for each of us, in every human language that could ever be invented. Or just each person's primary language as they travel through various lifetimes in different cultures and on various worlds of physical expression.

What I find truly interesting is that in our dream state we have no need for names as we identify the energy signature of others time and again intuitively. We are all well known to each other and that will never change.

I hope my small rant is somewhat informative on this subject of our unique spiritual/energetic identification.

John

Hi John.

That’s not a rant. It’s interesting and thought-provoking so thanks for sharing your truth.

I’ve not come across a discussion before about us singing our spirit names to address each other when we are not in physical body so it’s interesting to explore.

I understand from Spirit Guide Sparrow that trees speak in song. Which I find truly beautiful!

So with your line of thinking – taking the Shining One, Raphael, for example - this name which is a human pronounceable name, may not be his ‘true’ name at all?

It definitely is a human thing – trying to box and put labels on everything.

Maybe Gabriel, Michael – all the names used by humanity to address angels are not correct – am open to that possibility after reading your post (though I ’m sure they don’t mind).

These beings and us too could be millions of years old – the angel names now seem so. . . . human!

Thanks for putting my head in a spin, LOL!

Hope you have a great weekend.

Amethyst x

Tanith
28-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Norse,

I agree in that I don't believe a Magickal or Craft name is necessary. Some I know are just as happy without; they don't need one. I like to think that I never really wanted one myself, only that somehow I knew I had one (in retrospect, I believe everyone has a name that is theirs, only some need not know it, or do not want to know it, or may not know they have it in the first place). When this realization that I did have a name, there was an obsession to find it, and until I did I could not really seem to be at ease not knowing it.

This doesn't mean that it's necessary for all people of the earth, or Craft, or however one wishes to align themselves. But perhaps for some it is necessary?

horse lover,

My belief is that the method is different for everyone. A friend of mine once asked me how one finds their spirit guide. I will give you the saem answer I gave him: I don't know. For me, I became aware of my different spirit guides in completely different ways. If you read the stories of those here, you'll see that everyone has a different method of divining their name. Just as with anything, part of it is choice (you have to choose to take the name as yours. If it's a name you don't like, you're unlikely to choose to use it). While I myself believe that both my names were "given" to me, at the same time I chose them because they fit me.

Amethyst,

Your story is wonderful! That's definately an experience. All it takes is to keep your ears, eyes, and heart open, you never know when a sign may be brought through unusual means :)

John,

I am intrigued by your way of thinking. This is something I have not thought before, but as I think about it, I can see how that would make sense. I believe that the soul/spirit/aether of humans is unchanging, including memories, habits, loves and dislikes, etc, but for some reason never entertained the notion that the soul itself may have a name, or as you say a unique vibration, to identify it. Very interesting thought!

Everything wraps up into my standard belief that everyone has a path to follow and it could be the same, or different, or entirely unique, from others. To me, this includes the idea of Magickal Names.

Owis
01-01-2012, 02:47 PM
my spiritual name (or at least the part of it i share) is Owis.

While meditating and meeting my spirit guide I learnt a lot about myself, being a dragon prince, being the only one in my litter and a few other things. However my spirit name wasn't revealed.

A few days later I was reading through my uni notes and saw a squiggle on one of the notes. most of my notes had doodles on but this one was clean apart from this squiggle. Looking at it I found it very interesting for some reason, so I took another piece of paper and drew it again but larger. It looked a lot like a word written on some other language. Slowly I played around with it and moved lines around to where It looked more right and eventually came up with the correct word. A few of the letters weren't from the English language but I was able to recognise them and could read the word.

When I asked my spirit guide about the word he told me it was the "the name of your clan, or your family name if you want to think of it like that" I asked him what my first name was and he told me "Rhya should know, try asking her". Rhya was my mentors second soul. As it turned out she did know my first name, Owis.

And that is how I got my name, well relay its the name of the name of the second soul within me, but he allows me to use it.

Alternatively me and several friends used to joke around giving each other relay stereotypical native american names and taking the mick out of each other. Similar to previous story's, someone mention giving me the name Tik'lore as a joke, and we all went, 'actually that kinda fits!'

So depending on who I am around and what I'm doing I will either refer to myself as Owis of the (clan name) or Tik'lore.

Wolfe of Wildwood
05-01-2012, 02:00 AM
I have to agree with Norse. Though some find "craft names" and some do not, it's not as if its necessary to have one. I've always thought of these second names as being a way for someone to describe themselves better than a given name usually can, and not as a name given for the sake of the craft.

Now, back on topic, I actually have many names, I suppose that my craft name would be all of them strung together, but for this post I'll just explain the name I use on this forum, Wolfe of Wildwood. The first part of this name is simply because I have always felt kin to wolves; the e at the end is to show that I am an individual, not a common wolf or meant to encompass the species in general. The wildwood part comes from my association with the god Cernunnos, who lives in the wildwood. So in essence I am the wolf of the wildwood, hence the name; no one had to tell me my name, I just knew it.

feralfae
07-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Tenebrae Phoenix. Tenebrae is latin for "shadows" and "darkness". Phoenix is probably pretty self-explanatory. Both names were gifted to me. When I asked if I could or should combine them, I was told that it made sense to do so. I understand the reasoning behind keeping craft names a secret, but it's not something I ever did. In fact, my craft name is really just another one of my many names... several of my friends over the years have called me "Ten" and "Fee" as nicknames. I also agree with norseman, a craft name isn't really all that necessary... especially if you're solitary.

Tanith
12-01-2012, 03:53 AM
Putting my own question to the group:

For those of us who find Craft Names, what are your thoughts on how long or short they may or may not be? There is a difference between having many different Craft Names and having on single Craft Name made up of many parts.

So I wish to pose the question: how long can/should a Craft Name be before it simply becomes obnoxious?

:D

LadyMoondancer
12-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Tanith,

I don't think there is a set "time limit" on a magickal name. If one desires one, they could just look thru a book of mythology or elsewhere and find one that sparks their fancy. Isn't it sort of like finding a nickname for yourself when joining an online discussion forum? (but a little bit deeper).

Or as Native Americans do, name themselves after an aspect of themselves, or an achievement that they did.

When it is time to change the name, you will know it.

norseman
12-01-2012, 08:55 AM
" how long can/should a Craft Name be before it simply becomes obnoxious?"

Look at the made-up names used by certain "writers" of wiccan books. That's a good guide.

feralfae
13-01-2012, 02:40 AM

Look at the made-up names used by certain "writers" of wiccan books. That's a good guide.

Lol. Norseman, I REALLY like the way you think. :smile:

Tanith
13-01-2012, 11:08 PM
I agree, Norseman always has interesting things to say!

vulkus
13-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Not everyone has a magical name, spirit names, craft names or names you've chosen aren't magical names, they are different.
A name given by spirit is a spirit or spiritual name, craft name is a craft name, one you cobbled together from things that describe you are personal nom de plumes, again they aren't magical names.

Magical names are special, meaningful and powerful. One should never divulge ones magical name to any lest they have power over you. But these are the words of yesterday, it seems today everyone tells everyone else everything. I'll let T.S. Elliot say it best.

But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover—
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.

Animus27
14-01-2012, 12:09 AM

Good gods and ancestors, isn't that the truth!

Animus27
14-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Not everyone has a magical name, spirit names, craft names or names you've chosen aren't magical names, they are different.
A name given by spirit is a spirit or spiritual name, craft name is a craft name, one you cobbled together from things that describe you are personal nom de plumes, again they aren't magical names.

Magical names are special, meaningful and powerful. One should never divulge ones magical name to any lest they have power over you. But these are the words of yesterday, it seems today everyone tells everyone else everything. I'll let T.S. Elliot say it best.
That's my understanding as well. True magical names are revealed, not created or given by oneself, and it tends to be a very long time of praxis before one has it unveiled to them.