PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes. A Different View? Mind/Body Connection?

Jason72
07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
By Blair Justice

Psychologist David McClelland of Harvard acknowledges that “we don’t have any idea about how love aids the lymphocytes and improves the immune system, but evidence strongly suggests it does.” Bernie Siegel MD a professor of surgery at Yale medical School, who has been a practicing surgeon for more than 30 years, predicts that “someday we will understand the physiological and psychological workings of LOVE well enough to turn on its full force more reliably. Once it is scientific, it will be accepted.”

In long-term studies of diabetes conducted by Lawrence Hinkle and Stewart Wolf, (then at Cornell), a sense of helplessness and hopelessness was linked with the disorder.

Hinkle and Wolf traced the ups and downs of a 17-year-old school girl who was diagnosed as having diabetes when she was 10. Early stresses in the child’s life-rejected by mother, spoiled by older sister, starting school, moving three times-all could be correlated with bouts of illness and bodily changes finally culminating in the diabetes diagnosis at 10.

After the diagnosis, episodes of ketosis and coma could be linked with the girl’s hopeless attitude toward stressful situations that came up. She had to be admitted to the hospital 12 times over five years for diabetic acidosis and coma. These admissions came after fights between her parents, arguments with her mother, changing to a new school and the departure of her sister (“the only one who loved me”).

The doctors asked her to keep a diary of daily events and her accompanying feelings about situations. Every two weeks they reviewed these and checked her condition. Her insulin dose was maintained throughout. Hinkle and Wolf had already noted that diabetic flare-ups could often occur despite careful regulation of the patient’s diet, insulin and physical activity.

This point was dramatically illustrated during one of the hospital stays of the girl. Although her diet, insulin and activity were being closely monitored, she had a marked change in her condition after a visit from her mother. She perceived her mother as being extremely angry with her and also believed that her physician (her “only” friend) was also angry. Although she became increasingly anxious and depressed, she was unable to express her feelings.

Tests showed that she was losing large amounts of glucose in her urine and that ketones, were rising sharply. She also has a rapid heart rate, dry mouth and skin. However, once she was assured that her mother was not angry with her and that her physician was still her friend, her ketosis and other symptoms all disappeared without additional treatment.

By Blair Justice

Jason72
07-11-2011, 10:50 AM
By Inna Segal

Fear of fully participating in life.
Great need for control and to know things.
Deep need for attention and approval.
Constant craving for love, with a belief that you are unworthy or undeserving.
Deep-seated guilt.
Belief that you have to struggle to survive.
Can often lose yourself in relationships.
Constant need for sweetness to mask the feelings of weakness, limitation and belief that there is not enough.

Jason72
07-11-2011, 10:53 AM
By Annette Noontil

The pancreas needs success. You cannot be a success if you are ashamed of yourself from something you did in the past.
You do not want to live because of that emotion.

You do not have a good relationship with yourself. (KIDNEYS)
You do not want to see the future. (CATARACTS)
Self-destruction because of your direction, toes or fingers? (GANGRENE)
Not doing things because you are a perfectionist. (HARDENING OF THE ARTERIES)

Jason72
07-11-2011, 10:57 AM
By Deb Shapiro

There is an intimate and dynamic relationship between what is going on in your life, with your feelings and thoughts, and what happens in your body. Recently, a time magazine special showed that happiness, hopefulness, optimism, and contentment “appear to reduce the risk or limit the severity of diabetes.” At the same time, according to this article, “depression will worsen diabetes.”

Diabetes is particularly related to feeling a lack of sweetness in your life. This may be through loss or loneliness. Children can develop diabetes at a time of parental conflict, such as divorce or death, feeling that they are the cause of the loss, or that the parent no longer loves them, or due to a smothering, excessively adoring parent.

Adult diabetes can occur during times when you feel undernourished emotionally. Stress can have an isolating effect, where you feel no one really cares, or you become unable to absorb any love that is available, losing your sense of emotional balance.

It is hard to be independent if there is a constant dependence on insulin. This creates a dependence on the home-diabetic children may live at home longer than others-and a difficulty in making personal relationships last. There is also resentment: a desire to be loved but not to have to love, to be cared for without having to give.

When the inner sweetness passes straight through and leaves in the urine, it causes a sadness or sense of loss. People with diabetes often feel emotionally isolated, unable to give of themselves. Learning to love yourself and finding the right balance of give and take is essential.

Hypoglycaemia

Hypoglycaemia can occur when the blood sugar level drops, whether due to excess exercise, a lack of food, or too much insulin. It may be that you have given out so much to others that there is nothing left for yourself. You need time to replenish, to come back to your own being, to receive some nourishment. This condition also tends to indicate a desire for affection and a constant need for reassurance.

Jason72
07-11-2011, 11:01 AM
By Louise Hay

Longing for what might have been.
A great need to control.
Deep sorrow.
No sweetness left.Affirmation to be repeated 400 times a day for at least 30-60 days?

“This moment is filled with joy.

I now choose to experience the sweetness of today.”

ravenstar
12-11-2011, 12:35 PM
“One of the things I have discovered about diabetes is that it requires being in the present. It forces us to be diligent. It requires us to manage our lives – every little tiny thing: food, sugar, sleep/rest, testing, insulin, exercise, treatment options. It requires we take responsibility for ourselves. Our health, our quality of life depends on our ability to act responsibly.” Carolyn Myss

Hi Jason,

My brother passed from a diabetic coma. My search to discover the metaphysical reasons behind this dis-ease lead me to a career in alternative healing. I actually wrote an article on my blog about diabetes, which was dedicated to my brother.

Appreciate all you've written and researched. Thank you.

:)