PDA

View Full Version : Religion

Greg
02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I keep feeling the need to tie myself to a religion, but I don't know which one. Is this just an ego journey of mine? I've mainly practiced Zen, although I find zazen tough, I've practiced Tibetan and Theravada meditations, yet I also believe in God, in a panthiestic way at least. I believe that the universe is more loving than Buddhism suggests. I believe we're all in this together, forever evolving spiritually. Maybe this is Polly Anna'ish of me but it's what I feel in my heart. I also like the look of some Taoist beliefs, Sikh and Hindu beliefs. It's just religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam where there's a definete "One and only God" who's a seperate entity that I disagree with.
I practice meditatin daily, twice a day if I can. I like Vippassana meditation but I feel like I shouldn't be doing that meditation because I'm not a theravada Buddhist.
I don't know what to do. I wish someone could just tell me how it is, but they can't. I have to figure this out for myself and it's putting me in a lot of conflict.

Humm
02-11-2011, 08:44 PM
In my experience, spirituality is a very personal journey. Religion, in my opinion, is best looked at as a social system for supporting our individual spiritual journeys, such as the Buddhist Sangha. It can be a very welcome thing to not go one's path alone, even if it is personal.

Because religion is a social entity, there may not be a religion that fits you in every way - but just like any support group, accepting it and the variety of people in it is often a spiritual exercise in itself. :wink:

Good luck.

Greg
02-11-2011, 11:08 PM
That message hasn't helped my confusion at all, but thanks for replying.

nightowl
02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
This is not a promotion for any religion or church and I agree with Humm in that much of the attraction of 'church' or 'religious systems' is the element of being a part of a group/support, family of believers. There is the Unitarian Unversalist church which accepts and practices many beliefs within one church group, maybe check them out if you feel a need to belong to such a group.

Connecting with God or Spirit, well I don't believe there is a right or wrong way, if you feel connected to meditation that is great, IMO you don't need anyone's permission to believe the way you do.

daisy
02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi Greg why tie yourself to any religion, couldn't you simply take what you need from each one (or none at all) and walk your own path.

I'm not religious, but I believe in a god.

Silver
02-11-2011, 11:28 PM
I keep feeling the need to tie myself to a religion, but I don't know which one. Is this just an ego journey of mine? I've mainly practiced Zen, although I find zazen tough, I've practiced Tibetan and Theravada meditations, yet I also believe in God, in a panthiestic way at least. I believe that the universe is more loving than Buddhism suggests. I believe we're all in this together, forever evolving spiritually. Maybe this is Polly Anna'ish of me but it's what I feel in my heart. ...

... I like Vippassana meditation but I feel like I shouldn't be doing that meditation because I'm not a theravada Buddhist.

I'd say it's precisely what we feel in our hearts that each of us should 'tie' ourselves to. Who is there to frown on your liking Vippassana meditation or writing you up for not being a theravada Buddhist? It's your own perceptions doing that to you.

Greg
02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm so depressed I can't take it anymore. I'm falling apart.

Silver
02-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Greg, please feel free to pm me ~ please reach out to someone or meditate over what's bothering you. I care about you.

nightowl
03-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Greg, talk it out if you need to...their are many ears who are willing to listen here... :hug2:

Racer X
03-11-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm so depressed I can't take it anymore. I'm falling apart.

That is .......... how the point of Shifting feels!

We face our darkest moment before we chose to Lighten up~

Until then we fear the Light more then the dark......

I once sought the "religion" to join and came up empty. The whole world, every culture I sought...... but I found something deeper then beliefs; Each was rooted in Truth, yet distorted by beliefs.

Yo can find your own Way. Everything you need is already within, you just need to connect to it. That said .... look at some of the following works to quicken and ease the way ahead:

"Self-Unfoldment By Disciplines Of Realization by Manly P Hall"

Anything by Vernon Howard, Eckhart Tolle, Carl Jung, Gerald Jampolsky, ...

"A Course In Miracles by Foundation For Inner Freedom"

GGpeace
03-11-2011, 01:44 AM
I keep feeling the need to tie myself to a religion, but I don't know which one. Is this just an ego journey of mine? I've mainly practiced Zen, although I find zazen tough, I've practiced Tibetan and Theravada meditations, yet I also believe in God, in a panthiestic way at least. I believe that the universe is more loving than Buddhism suggests. I believe we're all in this together, forever evolving spiritually. Maybe this is Polly Anna'ish of me but it's what I feel in my heart. I also like the look of some Taoist beliefs, Sikh and Hindu beliefs. It's just religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam where there's a definete "One and only God" who's a seperate entity that I disagree with.
I practice meditatin daily, twice a day if I can. I like Vippassana meditation but I feel like I shouldn't be doing that meditation because I'm not a theravada Buddhist.
I don't know what to do. I wish someone could just tell me how it is, but they can't. I have to figure this out for myself and it's putting me in a lot of conflict.

Bro, you dont need to tie yourself to a religion. No one religion has it all right anyway, so why would you want to do that?

I can tell you that the truth is that god is real and there is only one god, one creator. But this is something you need to find for yourself. This truth comes from within, for the lord is in all of us. Denial of this will only bring confusion and a feeling of being lost.

But dont just take my word for it. Follow your heart. Listen to the little voice inside you, especially when you meditate. This is when the answers become more clear. Search inside yourself and feel the love that come out.

Be ever patient in your search. No matter if it takes 10 days or 100 years, you must be patient, faithful, and never give up. The only real religion is love and spirit, and it lies within all of us.

tone0728
03-11-2011, 04:01 AM
I think many of us are on this forum because we have the same sort of problem. Otherwise we'd be in church. You're spiritual, not religious really. If you choose a religion that's great, but it's secondary to you understanding yourself. All the barriers you're experiencing are just fear of failure. You're afraid to do it WRONG. Be assured there is no wrong way. Be not afraid, love you

Silver
03-11-2011, 04:16 AM
I think that's a wonderful response, tone.

tone0728
03-11-2011, 04:19 AM
maybe try this thread: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23982

or search for others that deal with how to face fears during your journey through life. There's plenty of help out there, don't let the fear become overwhelming.

~anna~
03-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Greg, I agree with the previous replies about the social aspect of religions and the fact that you don't really need them for your spiritual growth. Look closely at this feeling you said you have of needing to tie yourself to a religion. Why do you feel this way? What is it that you really need? Do you feel like you need to belong somewhere? This forum is a perfect place then and you can meet wonderful loving people of all religions in this on-line temple and these people, as you can see, are happy to support you in your search. Do you need a physical spiritual place to go to and physically be together with other spiritual seekers? Then explore what you have in your area, go to a different church, temple, workshop, gathering, celebration every week or whenever you can and see if you click with any group in particular. At the end, as other people here have already pointed out, the journey will still have to be yours and personal. You can take bits and pieces from different religions and beliefs or not but build your own path, that is True for you, and it doesn't mean that you will be on it alone. Everybody is on this path, whether they realize it or not.
May your path be filled with light :-)

chinu
03-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Do you want to know what is god? or do you want to know what is religion?

_/\_
Chinu

Emmalevine
03-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Greg I am truly sorry you feel so bad. Feeling like you're falling apart is really painful.

Re religion, it sounds more like you are craving a connection to your innermost self and you don't need to attach yourself to anything outside for that. I started off wanting to attach all sorts of labels to myself but once I felt more settled within me, I dropped them all. I think you are seeking yourself rather than religion. That is a natural search and it can be immensely painful, as you are finding. Once you feel connected to yourself, you will naturally feel connected to everything because we are all One.

Take gentle care of yourself right now and let any feelings you have come up. I would recommend meditation as a way of sitting with yourself and letting things be. Pay attention to your dreams as well as what your thoughts and emotions are telling you. Keep posting here if it helps. You will come through this - it sounds like a dark night and you don't know what to reach out for, but it can be the start of something better. You have a community here. Pm me if it helps.

Bluegreen
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I keep feeling the need to tie myself to a religion,]what do you think religion can give you more than you have already. In my view religions are 'straightjackets'[/COLOR]. but I don't know which one. Is this just an ego journey of mine? I've mainly practiced Zen, although I find zazen tough, I've practiced Tibetan and Theravada meditations, yet I also believe in God, in a panthiestic way at least. I believe that the universe is more loving than Buddhism suggests. I believe we're all in this together, forever evolving spiritually. Maybe this is Polly Anna'ish of me but it's what I feel in my heart. I also like the look of some Taoist beliefs, Sikh and Hindu beliefs. It's just religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam where there's a definete "One and only God" who's a seperate entity that I disagree with.

Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself, and yourself alone, one question... Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't it is of no use.
Carlos Castaneda

Eudaimonist
03-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Greg, you probably need more friends who can relate to you.

eudaimonia,

Mark

rsingh
03-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Religions cannot be understood from religious persons. If you want to understand any religion than follow a spiritual path. There are many spiritual teachers which do not attach to any religion but after listening to them you understand religions much better. Some of the spiritual teachers as such are - Eckart tolle, Adyashanti, Ganga Ji, Byron Katie, Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, Mooji etc. Listen to these teachers. They will make you understand any religion far better than religious persons.

Fresco
04-11-2011, 12:04 AM
you don't need anyone's permission to believe the way you do
This ^

I'm not religious, but I believe in a god And this ^

You're not gonna to hell if you dont belong to a church.
You can still be spiritual and believe in God without attending church

Seawolf
04-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi Greg!

I would say stop trying to figure everything out and just let it go. It's natural to want to find the answers, but it's unrealistic to think we can understand everything. If you really want to believe you have all the answers, religion can help you there, but I don't think it's very healthy. It's better imo to just be honest and accept we don't know everything, because it's the ego that wants to control and possess. Freedom comes from letting go.

That doesn't mean religion can't be helpful and meaningful, but just don't take anything TOO seriously. I think that's why religions have such a rocky past, because they take themselves too seriously.

pre-dawn
05-11-2011, 04:46 AM
I don't know what to do. I wish someone could just tell me how it is, but they can't. I have to figure this out for myself and it's putting me in a lot of conflict. With your affinity to Buddhism may I suggest that you look at Pureland Buddhism. One of the better books to read could be "River of Fire, River of Water" by Taitetsu Unno.

There are many Zen master who have successfully combined the 2 practices into what is known as Pureland Zen.

b0bby
05-11-2011, 11:14 AM
im gonna save some typing and agree with daisys reply!

Moonglow
05-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Hello Greg,

Read the OP and some of the responses here.

What I notice is you are not alone. Look at all the responses here. It seems you are going through a shift with in yourself.

Not to tell you what to do, but to give some suggestions.

Have you look into what churches in your area my best fit into what you are seeking at this time. Such as Universal churches or a Spiritualist church. If it is a church you wish to join. Some are good places to meet people and have groups for discussing spiritual matters.

If it is not a church, then look for groups that meet up for meditation and/or discussing spiritual matters.

It sounds to me like perhaps you need to get out there and find some things and people that may help in finding direction. Look to others for direction, but follow what rings true to you.

Go with your heart and what makes you find some peace with yourself.
If a meditation technique works or helps you, then so what if you do not follow the "religion" behind it. Perhaps develop your own style that works for you.

Hang in there and also perhaps check and see if what you are feeling has something physical involved. (just suggesting, not saying it does). Look at your diet and how physically active you are.

For what I find for myself that the mind, body, and spirit are connected and one has to take care of all aspects of what makes one up.

Presenting this to give some ideas.

Wish you well.

Uma
05-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I think many of us are on this forum because we have the same sort of problem. Otherwise we'd be in church. You're spiritual, not religious really. If you choose a religion that's great, but it's secondary to you understanding yourself. All the barriers you're experiencing are just fear of failure. You're afraid to do it WRONG. Be assured there is no wrong way. Be not afraid, love you
I like this Tone...

If you look at the threads that try to define what spirituality is, you will see a million opinions. There is being spiritual and there is using a tool to become more spiritual. That's how I distinguish spirituality from religion. One is the being and the other involves a certain way of doing. Unfortunately few people practice what they preach or religions wouldn't have such a bad rap. Religions do have many useful tools and offer the wisdom of people who have succeeded. Religions were not begun by the people they idolize but by their followers - that's an important point because the moment someone reaches a pure state of consciousness they express spiritual qualities in everything they do - so they no longer need religion anymore. This is a gradual process. When people have begun to outgrow the need for an organized religion (or let's say to buy into it completely) they start to move away from it and the journey takes them more inside themselves and life itself becomes the church or the temple. This has been my process and from the many people I've done readings for on this forum, theirs as well.

mattie
05-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Having a deep spirituality is completely different than religion, extending far beyond religion.

You’ve got some very useful beliefs. These aren’t Polly Anna’ish at all. They’re spot on. Having the freedom to choose from any belief system what works, declining what doesn’t & the flexibility to adjust these beliefs as you grow & expand spiritually can make for a very strong belief system.

Use whatever meditations you want. You need not adopt the whole philosophy. Sometimes basic grounding can be useful. (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=273387#post273387)

What are you depressed about? Why do you feel as if you can’t take it anymore & are falling apart? Talking about it can be useful sometimes.

Xan
05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I just said this to someone in another thread, Greg, who is also working toward spiritual growth but still not satisfied.

Go Deeper!

Xan