PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Hinduism

Szalvias
01-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone!

I have, for years now considered myself a Buddhist and a Pagan in general. Recently I began learning sanskrit and encountered such Hindu texts as the Bagavad Gita and the Upanishads, as well as some others. I found these to be very touching; they spoke to me on a very basic and fundamental level. After a time I began to feel a love for Krishna and Lord Shiva. Being a pagan already, I have no problem, really, with adopting new gods, but of course I do not really understand Hinduism that well.
I have been researching Hinduism for months now, learning what I can. I have been listening to slokas and mantras a lot (the singing of the Bagavad Gita and slokas to Parvati that I found on youtube I think are very beautiful). I've been doing all this because I want to learn more about and draw closer to these deities.
I am not saying I want to become Hindu, or whatever... maybe I do, but I wouldn't know enough to say that at this point anyway. For now I want to learn about Siva, Krishna, and by extension, Parvati. How can I learn more and how can I worship these Gods? Can someone do that without being Hindu and without offending them? Can someone become Hindu?
I said before that I have called myself Buddhist, by this I mean that I feel the Buddhist path is valid and that the buddhist principles of following a middle path, restraining the self and meditation are good to follow. Now I am confused again because, aside from Hinduism having gods and Buddhism only having Bodhisatva, I really don't see much of a difference in philosophy.

chaitanyaram
26-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Dear Szalvias,

I've been on a serious spiritual research/practicing for 37 years now. Especially with Hinduism. I applaud your openess!

you could visit krishna.com/ebooks, that has the original core texts of Hindu(Vedic) spirituality.

The Srimad Bhagavatam, or Bhagavat Purana is the essence of the essence of all Vedic spirituality, according to the author of the Vedas Himself. So that would seem to be a good text to study.

One thought comes to mind, I have appreciated that there is one God, appreciated from various perspectives by various people. The Vedic scriptures are like unabridged dictionaries of divine knowledge, they contain all that one can find elsewhere, and much, much more....

Best wishes and love,
chaitanyaram

CSEe
26-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Hello everyone!

I have, for years now considered myself a Buddhist and a Pagan in general. Recently I began learning sanskrit and encountered such Hindu texts as the Bagavad Gita and the Upanishads, as well as some others. I found these to be very touching; they spoke to me on a very basic and fundamental level. After a time I began to feel a love for Krishna and Lord Shiva. Being a pagan already, I have no problem, really, with adopting new gods, but of course I do not really understand Hinduism that well.
I have been researching Hinduism for months now, learning what I can. I have been listening to slokas and mantras a lot (the singing of the Bagavad Gita and slokas to Parvati that I found on youtube I think are very beautiful). I've been doing all this because I want to learn more about and draw closer to these deities.
I am not saying I want to become Hindu, or whatever... maybe I do, but I wouldn't know enough to say that at this point anyway. For now I want to learn about Siva, Krishna, and by extension, Parvati. How can I learn more and how can I worship these Gods? Can someone do that without being Hindu and without offending them? Can someone become Hindu?
I said before that I have called myself Buddhist, by this I mean that I feel the Buddhist path is valid and that the buddhist principles of following a middle path, restraining the self and meditation are good to follow. Now I am confused again because, aside from Hinduism having gods and Buddhism only having Bodhisatva, I really don't see much of a difference in philosophy.

Just sharing , is always YOU and your desire , your choice .
Buddhism is not faith , not a beliefs but is always YOU and your realization of yourself will free you from all the confusion .
Buddhism is a process of knowing , searching , discovering , understanding ownself by being awake by own realization . It is a realization process to be pure NEVER related or associated with anything or anyone including Mr Siddharta himself , is always you in your learning process to know yourself .
Thks
CSEe

Xan
26-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Hinduism is a very complex religion that has developed from a vareity of traditions over thousands of years. It has many spiritual writings and practices, and many different sects focused on one or another of the numerous Hindu gods. It would take time and persistence to find the expression of Hinduism that fits with you.

Or maybe you could just go further with being drawn to Krishna, and studying the Bhagavad Gita and other writings. That's a whole path in itself.

Xan

Thinker108
27-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Or maybe you could just go further with being drawn to Krishna, and studying the Bhagavad Gita and other writings. That's a whole path in itself.

With the help of bhagvadgita, one can know the essence of Hinduism. Gita is key of other big scriptures, go to these scripture with this key and you will unlock all.

storymaker
08-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Hare Krishna!

Originally from 'szalvias'.....

"Understanding Hinduism

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!

I said before that I have called myself Buddhist, by this I mean that I feel the Buddhist path is valid and that the buddhist principles of following a middle path, restraining the self and meditation are good to follow. Now I am confused again because, aside from Hinduism having gods and Buddhism only having Bodhisatva, I really don't see much of a difference in philosophy."
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Dear szalvias,

It was nice reading your post.

Please don't misunderstand me, I was a bit confused about your quest.
What are you trying to understand? Why is this moving around from place to place looking for something which is so very close to you. You do not understand Hinduism could be because you do not understand any other religion too. Not even Buddhism of which you are a follower. If you understand one religion you understand all others. If you become a good Buddhist you automatically become a good Christian, a good Hindu and so on. Reading books mostly do not help much except enrichment of some bookish knowledge. No matter which religion you belong to, just try to understand that alone. No rituals, no practices, no studies can take you anywhere near the true understanding and the truth. Because language of love alone can take you to the real understanding of all religions and make you belong to all of them. If you can grow that love for one and all, you at once learn all about Shiva, Krishna, Parvati and all. Life is very short, where is the time to know about all individually.

Forsaking one's own religion and adopting another one is an act of insult to the Lord because we divide over religions but He is only one and not divided.

Please forgive me if I have hurt you.

Lots of love and best wishes.

SM

Joshua_G
11-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Hinduism is a very complex religion that has developed from a vareity of traditions over thousands of years. It has many spiritual writings and practices, and many different sects focused on one or another of the numerous Hindu gods. It would take time and persistence to find the expression of Hinduism that fits with you.

Indeed.
Furthermore, a religion, any religion, is one thing, while a spiritual path inspired by a religion may be a different thing. Thus, it may serve us to clarify to ourselves whether we are after a certain religion, or after a spiritual path. For such clarity may assist us in better choosing that which comply more with our preference.