PDA

View Full Version : Eat, Pray, Love

arto
30-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Beautiful film :) much less redundant than I expected it to be! ;)

Love and Light

dragon charms
30-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I agree. :) I loved many lines in that film. "God exists in you as you"- just as you are, I thought was awesome.

MMM
30-10-2011, 11:01 AM
so phony to me because i live around indians and have been there many many times
i wrote a blistering book review of it pasted below
Please buy this book.
For no other reason than to get this piece of baloney off my shelves.
Yuck! Such a whiny author and a superficial journey. Note to future authors: start your book with a sob story to evoke sympathy from readers so that they continue reading.... In her case, oh, poor me, she has everything, an apartment in NYC and a house in the suburbs, a writing career (even though she can’t write), but she’s crying in the bathroom because of her marriage. Let me guess, the husband was Arab? Take a tissue dear, as toilet paper isn’t as good an absorbent for tears. No sympathy from me; yawn, the story so far is just plain, well un-noteworthy. And that bit about the lover you took on the rebound but he ended up breaking your heart -hell, I’d drop your crying, emotional self, too if I were him.
Author now gets paid, she tells us this, to travel for a year. Note to future authors: don’t evoke envy after trying to evoke sympathy. So, off author goes to Rome aimlessly taking language classes. ‘Aimless’ describes this book and author quite well. So does ‘narcissistic’. My God, it’s a wonder the woman could have travelled so far with that giant mirror she holds in front of her face.
Her whole journey is too fake, all in all like a Oprah Book Club pick destined to be made into a Hollywood movie starring Angelina..... Oprah should demand more depth instead of devoting a 2 show praise-fest for what is essentially a monologue from a starry-eyed juvenile on a gap year adventure or a full-of-herself college girl on spring break.
Note to future authors: end it happily with a soul mate with a romantic foreign accent. Maybe I’m being too harsh. Maybe the author is trying quite subliminally to recreate Cinderella in 21st century form?
No, it’s still baloney. And anyone is more than welcome to stick it between 2 slices of bread and take it outta my store.
posters responded
I didn't even finish it. I thought it was just me, as I usually at least like Oprah's books. Well, now you know why it ended up in the bag of trades haunting your store instead of staying and taking up valuable space on my bookshelf!
lol! I wasn't impressed either...
Little light for me too but think of all the lonely, frightened women around the world who for a moment lived vicariously through someone who had more courage, $$$ and no obligations.
she does much better with her second book Committed.
The movie was even worse.

arto
30-10-2011, 09:58 PM
MMM, lol, I like your spin on it, and I didn't read the book but watched the film, and it was lovely, and very relevant to a lot of other Women

ellespirit
30-10-2011, 11:56 PM
MMM love your take on it. Tried to read her second book that came after Eat Pray Love, but put it down it was too academic.

Mountain-Goat
31-10-2011, 03:37 AM
It's not clear to me MMM, did you like the book or not?
so phony to me because i live around indians and have been there many many times
i wrote a blistering book review of it pasted below
Please buy this book.
For no other reason than to get this piece of baloney off my shelves.
Yuck! Such a whiny author and a superficial journey. Note to future authors: start your book with a sob story to evoke sympathy from readers so that they continue reading.... In her case, oh, poor me, she has everything, an apartment in NYC and a house in the suburbs, a writing career (even though she can’t write), but she’s crying in the bathroom because of her marriage. Let me guess, the husband was Arab? Take a tissue dear, as toilet paper isn’t as good an absorbent for tears. No sympathy from me; yawn, the story so far is just plain, well un-noteworthy. And that bit about the lover you took on the rebound but he ended up breaking your heart -hell, I’d drop your crying, emotional ***, too if I were him.
Author now gets paid, she tells us this, to travel for a year. Note to future authors: don’t evoke envy after trying to evoke sympathy. So, off author goes to Rome aimlessly taking language classes. ‘Aimless’ describes this book and author quite well. So does ‘narcissistic’. My God, it’s a wonder the woman could have travelled so far with that giant mirror she holds in front of her face.
Her whole journey is too fake, all in all like a Oprah Book Club pick destined to be made into a Hollywood movie starring Angelina..... Oprah should demand more depth instead of devoting a 2 show praise-fest for what is essentially a monologue from a starry-eyed juvenile on a gap year adventure or a full-of-herself college girl on spring break.
Note to future authors: end it happily with a soul mate with a romantic foreign accent. Maybe I’m being too harsh. Maybe the author is trying quite subliminally to recreate Cinderella in 21st century form?
No, it’s still baloney. And anyone is more than welcome to stick it between 2 slices of bread and take it outta my store.
posters responded
I didn't even finish it. I thought it was just me, as I usually at least like Oprah's books. Well, now you know why it ended up in the bag of trades haunting your store instead of staying and taking up valuable space on my bookshelf!
lol! I wasn't impressed either...
Little light for me too but think of all the lonely, frightened women around the world who for a moment lived vicariously through someone who had more courage, $$$ and no obligations.
she does much better with her second book Committed.
The movie was even worse.

MMM
31-10-2011, 06:05 AM
my review was 'please buy...... (until) .....outta my store"

it was too superficial to me
two thumbs down

Mountain-Goat
02-11-2011, 12:05 AM
I enjoyed the simplicity of it.
It brought spirituality into everyday life, instead of images of people high up on mountain tops chanting.

How many people are in similar situations as she was, yet she did something about it.

I even saved a quote from it.

"The rule of quest physics goes something like this.
If you're brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comforting, which can be anything from your house to bitter old resentments, and set out on a truth seeking journey, either externally or internally, and if you are truely willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet along the way as a teacher, and if you are prepared, most of all, to face and forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you." - Eat Pray Love.

Mr Interesting
02-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Spoiled upper middle class housewife on voucher park spiritual odyssey. If you know that's what it is then it's a cool little film with good cinematography and locations. And you even get the odd little gem of insight thrown in... but you would get the same going to buy the groceries. Nothing special but a good time waster.

Mountain-Goat
03-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Spoiled upper middle class housewife
You sig "The reasonable man adjusts himself to the world whereas the unreasonable persists in having the world fit him; "
And if the world can't fit into one's worldview, judge others against one's own standard.
but you would get the same going to buy the groceries. Nothing special but a good time waster.
To leave the security of one's known life to go into the unknown to discover oneself is the same as going to the shop to buy groceries? HA !