PDA

View Full Version : Sustainable Energy

norseman
25-10-2011, 09:49 AM
I have long argued that wind power is a definite no-no as a sustainable resource. The power density is low, it is vastly expensive, environmentally damaging, and just plain pig-ugly ! I look out of my window towards the beautiful Durham Fells and six monstrosities, i.e. wind turbines, intrude.
Now, I dare say that some will argue that I am ignoring the benefits of wind power. OK. Some figures just released about cost per kilowatt/hour.

America - [Energy Dept] Gas generated power = 66 cents/Mwatt/hour
Off-shore wind farms = $2.43/Mwatt/hour

UK. Gas generated = 60 pence/Mwatt/hour
Wind = 150 pence/Mwatt/hour

This has been brought to up by the discovery of a massive new gas field [ 200 trillion cubic feet] in shale beds on the West coast on England. ON LAND, not 100's feet under the sea. The geological strata goes all the way up to Scotland with a similar one running from the Midlands to the South Coast. So, we not only have huge reserves of coal, but also massive reserves of gas.

Serious rethink needed before we go nuclear !

ROM
25-10-2011, 09:51 AM
So long as greedy corporations still exist, we'll never have free, re-usable energy.

norseman
25-10-2011, 11:46 AM
No such thing as a free lunch, ever !

Quintessence
31-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Wait. Are you seriously suggesting that it is a good idea for humans to continue to use non-renewable fossil fuels that are responsible for global climate change?