PDA

View Full Version : What does Islam have to teach about I AM?

Honza
19-10-2011, 07:45 PM
How does Islam approach the subject of I AM? Is Allah said to be I AM?

Can one call Allah I AM? Or is this not encouraged?

slave of Allaah
19-10-2011, 08:53 PM
What is the meaning of I AM? Is it the same as ME?

Honza
19-10-2011, 09:31 PM
That is a long story. I AM is the pure state that Hindu and Buddhist Masters have achieved by meditation. It is a state whereby one becomes God. Christ spoke of I AM too.

I find it a terrible state of affairs to be honest. But to many people it is the "true path".

pre-dawn
20-10-2011, 05:29 AM
That is a long story. I AM is the pure state that Hindu and Buddhist Masters have achieved by meditation. It is a state whereby one becomes God. Christ spoke of I AM too.

I find it a terrible state of affairs to be honest. But to many people it is the "true path".
This is full or terrible inaccuracies.
I don't have the time now to go into details.

MMM
20-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Islam is not homogeneous, just as Christianity is not homogeneous.

I would point the original poster to the Sufi sect and some esoteric Shi'a writings (but most of these are exclusively in Arabic).

i agree with poster 'pre-dawn'

slave of Allaah
20-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Has there come to you the story of Msa (Moses)? (15)
When his Lord called him in the sacred valley of Twa. (16)

Go to Fir'aun (Pharaoh), verily, he has transgressed all bounds. (17)
And say to him: "Would you purify yourself (from the sin of disbelief by becoming a believer)", (18)

And that I guide you to your Lord, so you should fear Him? (19)

Then (Moses) showed him the great sign (miracles). (20)
But [Fir'aun (Pharaoh)] belied and disobeyed; (21)

Then he turned his back, striving (against Allh) (22)
Then he gathered (his people) and cried aloud, (23)

Saying: "I AM your lord, the most high", (24)
So Allh, seized him with punishment for his last and first transgression. (25) [Quran:Ch.79]

Mirror
23-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi Honza

I Am belongs to the Abrahamic traditions and Abraham is an accepted prophet of God within Islam. Although I Am is not an issue within modern Islam because its root is found within the Torah.

Within Sufi Islam I Am is equivalent to one of the 99 names of God = Al-Ahad or The One

And if I may; One does not become God, one ceases to have relevance and the only relevance is The One. The Christ said I and my Father are One and those who misunderstood due to pride rejected the humble significance of that truth.

Time
23-10-2011, 04:44 PM
How does Islam approach the subject of I AM? Is Allah said to be I AM?

Can one call Allah I AM? Or is this not encouraged?

Simple, "I AM" submissive to god.

The rest the others should be able to answer.

Honza
01-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Hi Honza

I Am belongs to the Abrahamic traditions and Abraham is an accepted prophet of God within Islam. Although I Am is not an issue within modern Islam because its root is found within the Torah.

Within Sufi Islam I Am is equivalent to one of the 99 names of God = Al-Ahad or The One

And if I may; One does not become God, one ceases to have relevance and the only relevance is The One. The Christ said I and my Father are One and those who misunderstood due to pride rejected the humble significance of that truth.

Hello Mirror,

Very useful answer. Thanks.

Honza
01-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Simple, "I AM" submissive to god.

The rest the others should be able to answer.

Thanks Time.

Honza
01-11-2011, 06:07 AM
This is full or terrible inaccuracies.
I don't have the time now to go into details.

What I have found is that there are SO many ways of describing I AM, that there isn't really a definition for it. In other words almost any description will do. It is almost left up to each individual to understand it in their own way.

Mathew James
02-11-2011, 12:03 AM
the name "I AM" when used by God means "I am all things and exist in all times"

mj