PDA

View Full Version : Tree Hugging

Squatchit
14-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Admittedly I don't do it very often because of physical stuff....but having changed my avatar to reflect a love of tree hugging, I wondered how you all felt about it....?

For me, it's on a par with hugging someone I love. In fact, it's better. :D

Smiler
14-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Hey Squatchit ..

I have been drawn to hug the odd tree ..and said "Thanks" after it..lol.. its a great exchange and feeling..a very happy one..maybe I will hug a tree today ..its been awhile.

Love To You
:)

zipzip
15-10-2011, 04:45 AM
I love trees. They seem wise and majestic. I have to admit, as much as I love them, walking by them, hearing the leaves rustle in the wind, I don't hug them. lol

I love the new avatar and signature by the way

zipzip

Sentientno1
15-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Sure Squarchit, i hug em, more often run thier leaves gently thru my hands or brush them with my hands and talk to them. Bushes and shrubs too. Tell them how fine they look.

Up into my forties i used to like to climb a favorite tree and sit and read a book....

Squatchit
15-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Thank you guys and gals. I hugged that tree in my avatar years ago...and can still remember it. :smile:

I think I'll hug a tree today too. It is a special exchange. I tend to get strength from trees.

Squatch

Neville
15-10-2011, 02:44 PM
I loved this picture,

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/311962_141999209230805_141990332565026_188640_1068 333682_n.jpg

Lisa
15-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I love hugging trees, and know what?

Trees love to be hugged! :hug2:

Humm
15-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I love tree hugging. I love connecting to that energy - sinking all my cares into it's never-ending groundedness.

If I could I would hug a tree everyday - but of course people would talk... :D

This is my favorite hugging tree - it is on a small ridge overlooking a ravine deep in a forested park where I live. The picture is rather deceptive, the tree is actually pretty big.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/kiauma/P1010149.jpg

Yes - that is all one big oak tree. :hug3:

Squatchit
15-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Hiya Humm

Wow, that is one gorgeous tree. I think I might nick it for my computer background.

Have a hug. :hug3:

Squiggle

Humm
15-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Cool! :hug:

The uploaded size is 1024 x 768. If you want bigger or to crop it to fit your screen resolution I could email you the original, which is 2272 x 1704.

Lemme know. :smile:

Squatchit
15-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Cheers my dears - it fits my screen like a glove. :smile:

Humm
15-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Sweet! :D

Sarian
15-10-2011, 07:07 PM
My love for trees is deep. I am reduced to tears at times. I hug trees all the time, I lean on them for strength and comfort. I have planted over 100 on my land. Some have lived, some didn't, but my babies that made it, I fall in love with daily when I am near them. I love walking about my yard, seeing how tall and wide they grow. My deepest comfort is found in a forest.

Squatchit
15-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Sarian - that is poetry to my ears. :hug3:

Time
15-10-2011, 07:24 PM
All my new trees are going to sleep for the winter... Cant wait for the grow fest next summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sentientno1
15-10-2011, 09:31 PM
i hear you Time. Planted 3 redbuds 2 springs ago ( have a tiny back yard) and they flourished this summer. The backyard was bare, still sitting in pots the little trees were visited by birds sitting in the twig branches before we got them planted.

The trees we plant are also gifts to other earthlings.

Sarian will have a jungle of sorts, yay sarian! :icon_thumright:

Sarian
16-10-2011, 01:07 AM
Sarian - that is poetry to my ears. :hug3:
Thank you, Squatchit and I have to say your avatar (is that you) is breathtaking. I truly love it. It's so precious.

Sentientno1 I would love to have a jungle ..of sorts. :-)

norseman
16-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Over the years, I have planted 100's of acorns. How many will flourish I have no idea. I plan on having a look in a couple of centuries. :D

Norsewood

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/05a38d9d.jpg

Time
16-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Im going to steal some blue or bur oak from my boss and mass plant them. Oaks are nice trees!

Sentientno1
16-10-2011, 02:42 PM
norseman, that is such a cool thing to do. With the spread of maples, and thier dense shade, much of the flora beneath them die out for lack of sun, including seedling oaks. You may or may or may not know oak and shagbark hickory forests are considered globealy endangered.

The viability of a wildwoods depends a good deal on it's diversity. In the future, i will look up your oaks :smile:

Time
16-10-2011, 02:46 PM
norseman, that is such a cool thing to do. With the spread of maples, and thier dense shade, much of the flora beneath them die out for lack of sun, including seedling oaks. You may or may or may not know oak and shagbark hickory forests are considered globealy endangered.

The viability of a wildwoods depends a good deal on it's diversity. In the future, i will look up your oaks :smile:

Its because oak/hickery forests are the last step to a mature forest. They take longer to grow, and live way longer then pioneer trees. You should look up succession of your native forests if your interested in that kind of thing, itll help you in the long run if you like to plant things!

Sentientno1
17-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Its because oak/hickery forests are the last step to a mature forest. They take longer to grow, and live way longer then pioneer trees. You should look up succession of your native forests if your interested in that kind of thing, itll help you in the long run if you like to plant things!

Not sure about that order of process Time...had a discussion with a state biologist some years back , his was opposite opinion, but, maybe the thinking has changed on it. i know i did disagree with him that maples were a recent event in this area and responsable for the decline of oaks and hickory. Historic documents record the making of maple sugar by the Native Americans, making maples not as recent as he implied.

norseman
18-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Where I plant used to be part of the original forest of Britain but, over time, it was cleared for farming, charcoal burning for use in Lead smelting, and even for building Nelson's ships. I plant in the valleys because the surrounding country is harsh in winter.

Time
18-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Not sure about that order of process Time...had a discussion with a state biologist some years back , his was opposite opinion, but, maybe the thinking has changed on it. i know i did disagree with him that maples were a recent event in this area and responsable for the decline of oaks and hickory. Historic documents record the making of maple sugar by the Native Americans, making maples not as recent as he implied.

Where exactly are you from? If its north america, maples are everywhere anyways, and are probably a middle stage in succession.

Time
18-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Where I plant used to be part of the original forest of Britain but, over time, it was cleared for farming, charcoal burning for use in Lead smelting, and even for building Nelson's ships. I plant in the valleys because the surrounding country is harsh in winter.

Maybe plant some lower shrubs in that vally? Some foxglove would adapt perfect as a ground cover!

Squatchit
20-10-2011, 10:07 AM
My work today involves finding information about trees of the world.

Imagine hugging one of these beauties...wow.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/Sequoia_trees.JPG/800px-Sequoia_trees.JPG

Time
20-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I LOVE redwoods!

The species is over 100 million years old, and have remaind almost unchanged. This one is my personal favorite, and im currently trying to grow them from seed!

http://theshopatvictoriagardens.blogspot.com/2009/06/metasequoia-glyptostroboides-dawn.html

Squatchit
20-10-2011, 01:54 PM
The Giant redwood is incredible - I have to find 10 trees of the world (non-British - I've done them) and I couldn't leave it out of the selection. :smile:

I love the link you posted Time. That trunk is amazing!

How are yours doing? Have you started them?

Squiggs

norseman
20-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Maybe plant some lower shrubs in that vally? Some foxglove would adapt perfect as a ground cover!
I am not much of a gardener, Time. But I can tell you there is ground cover, mostly heather and fern. Land is a thick bed of peat over limestone.. The valleys have soil washed off moors.

This is what it looks like. About 1200 feet above sea level. You can see the end of the valley in the rhs background and it is fed by the stream

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/northeast/HPIM0432.jpg

norseman
20-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Squatchy A snippetlet about trees. In Weardale, small market town called Stanhope, there is a fossilised sequoia from when my patch was tropical zillions of years back. :D

Squatchit
20-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Squatchy A snippetlet about trees. In Weardale, small market town called Stanhope, there is a fossilised sequoia from when my patch was tropical zillions of years back. :D

Wowza!

I'd love to stand in a forest full of them. What an experience that must be.

Time
20-10-2011, 02:21 PM
The Giant redwood is incredible - I have to find 10 trees of the world (non-British - I've done them) and I couldn't leave it out of the selection. :smile:

I love the link you posted Time. That trunk is amazing!

How are yours doing? Have you started them?

Squiggs

I started a pot full in the summer, but I killed them cause i wasnt home for 2 weeks. So im going to pot up more today.

I know for a fact dawn redwood is planted EVERYWHERE there

I think youll like this link :D

http://www.redwoodworld.co.uk/locations.htm

The tree is from china, but used to be around the entire northern hemesphere.

I think one youll like is this, its a canadian tree called a paper birch, that is planted a lot in the UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_birch

Squatchit
20-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Hiya Time

Thank you for the links - that first one is awesome. There's even a place in the county where I'm currently living - woohoo!

The Paper Birch - yes I'm familiar with it. We call it the Silver Birch - it's got incredible bark. A true stunner.

I've gone from Bonsai trees to Giant redwoods....hahahhaha.

Squatch

Time
20-10-2011, 03:33 PM
LOL, im on a tree kick as well. I just ordered some black locust seeds, and grabbed some amur maple (chinese), and linden seeds from the trees around here.

Ill show some pics in the summer, when my seedlings take off! My pear seedling pushed over a foot on a year, and my apple seedling took off as well just before it cooled off.

Arcturus
13-11-2011, 08:04 PM
hi, i don't hug trees but i like to sit at their base with my back to them. depending on how well i am, sometimes i can ground their energy. i believe the native americans used to do this to revitalise themselves, which it definitely does. i can feel a little ill for the first 5 minutes and this gives way to a greater feeling of vitality; very cool and healing, as are trees. cedars look particulaqrly impressive i think.

Squatchit
13-11-2011, 10:12 PM
hi, i don't hug trees but i like to sit at their base with my back to them. depending on how well i am, sometimes i can ground their energy. i believe the native americans used to do this to revitalise themselves, which it definitely does. i can feel a little ill for the first 5 minutes and this gives way to a greater feeling of vitality; very cool and healing, as are trees. cedars look particulaqrly impressive i think.
Hiya necta3

I can't do the sitting thing (wish I could) which is why I hug them instead. :smile:

Have you any thoughts on why you feel ill initially? I have a hunch, but thought I'd ask.

Cedars are gorgeous trees.

http://www.2020site.org/trees/images/lebanon-cedar-tree.jpg

Arcturus
15-11-2011, 09:54 PM
watcha Squatchit,
shame you can't sit but glad you can still hug! :)
quite often i find that some healing modalities or complimentary therapies can and are supposed to make you feel worse first before you feel better; like shaking the dust out of the carpet. homeopathy as you may know aids the healing process rather than halting it, like with antibiotics....not sure if i'm explaining it well. feeling urgh from flu is a sign your body is fighting or balancing i think.

i would also say that the added energy from the tree's energy field helps ground the body and it's energy field (like lying on the ground but more powerful) so detoxes negative or blocked energies which would be more apparent at first as you become more aware of them. i believe trees have a powerful vortex just under the base which your energy field no doubt bathes in. i love sitting by them, after 10 minutes or so everything seems to forget you are there and then you can watch the squirrels and everything. oaks are well cool too. haha rambling, trees are gaia's lungs :) peace

i love the way cedars spread

ellespirit
16-11-2011, 12:30 AM
I hug a tree at least once a week to the embarassment of my sons who tell me they think i'm "looney" LOL, it helps me feel grounded and connected to mother earth. I also take off my shoes so I can feel the grass under my feet and run my hands over the bark of the trunk.

Squatchit
16-11-2011, 05:58 PM
watcha Squatchit,
shame you can't sit but glad you can still hug! :)
quite often i find that some healing modalities or complimentary therapies can and are supposed to make you feel worse first before you feel better; like shaking the dust out of the carpet. homeopathy as you may know aids the healing process rather than halting it, like with antibiotics....not sure if i'm explaining it well. feeling urgh from flu is a sign your body is fighting or balancing i think.

i would also say that the added energy from the tree's energy field helps ground the body and it's energy field (like lying on the ground but more powerful) so detoxes negative or blocked energies which would be more apparent at first as you become more aware of them. i believe trees have a powerful vortex just under the base which your energy field no doubt bathes in. i love sitting by them, after 10 minutes or so everything seems to forget you are there and then you can watch the squirrels and everything. oaks are well cool too. haha rambling, trees are gaia's lungs :) peace

i love the way cedars spread

Great post. :icon_thumright:

I love the way you've expressed yourself in the purple bolded part - brilliant! :smile:

dreamerxwithin
18-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I want to hug a tree but I don't want to get judged for it, so I grow my own plants and secretly hug them :D

Enya
18-11-2011, 11:24 PM
The last time I hugged a tree (an oak), I was deep in communion when someone said 'Excuse me' from the path behind... two lads, wondering what I was doing! Meditating, I said - duh! :D (after I jumped out of my skin...)

The pic (if I've done this right) is a pastel drawing I did of a beautiful old chestnut tree on a local island. There's a row of them and those old boys have style... lol.

SeaZen
19-11-2011, 12:44 AM
I found that all I need to do is lay the palm of my hand on a tree trunk to get the same exhilirating effect of peace and communion. But thats cool! Whatever works best!

Squatchit
19-11-2011, 12:17 PM
dreamerxwithin - I used to sing to my seedlings when I grew them. They loved it! :smile:

Gorgeous picture Enya - thanks for sharing. :smile:

SeaZen - well yeah, but I'm always up for a full body hug. :D

luccidity
17-12-2011, 11:08 AM
I have hugged trees before, and feel there is a kind of energy there.I also get this when i walk through fields and woods.When i open my window on a night and listen to the sound of the leaves in the wind i find this so relaxing and Theraputic, it is a beautiful way for me to relax.

Squatchit
17-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I have hugged trees before, and feel there is a kind of energy there.
Me too. There's an exchange of energy for me...I give the tree as much love as I can muster and it gives me strength in return. :smile:

Edit: Welcome to SF luccidity - I see you are new.

Arcturus
17-12-2011, 01:53 PM
i've often wondered if attaching a copper wire to a tree and then say into your living space, and then to touch it to see if the trees chi can reach you while you're asleep for instance or medtating or doing a crystal balancing. i have seen chi used to light a diode before so it can travel down wires, which are afterall concentrated earth elements.

i do grounding with wires and that is very relaxing and the idea with that is that you not only earth any current/charge your carrying but recieve free balancing earth energy electrons too. sooo long distance tree hugging a la scientific mode maybe?? :D i have a hawthorn about 2 metres from my bedroom window, might try it...i suppose i should clear it with the tree first and hope it doesn't mind a bare wire touching it??

Squatchit
17-12-2011, 02:06 PM
That sounds intriguing necta3. If you do give it a whirl, let us know how you got on. :smile:

i suppose i should clear it with the tree first and hope it doesn't mind a bare wire touching it??
Most definitely. You could introduce it to the wire while giving it a hug...let the tree get used to it. :hug3:

Boldylocks
18-12-2011, 07:29 PM
I hug the trees in my front yard after coming home from work in the evening. I actually feel their presence when I hug them. I believe all plants and living things have a consciousness. Since I already talk to my houseplants, then why not hug a tree as well! I know they feel my energy as I feel theirs.

sensitivesoul
10-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Remember when i used to go to the local nature camp. The counselors would have all the kids hug this bug willow tree. They called it the hugging tree :smile: . Really liked it and even when I got into my teen years and went back for class I'de hug it even round the other students. Wasn't bothered of what they thought, just felt like hugging an old friend :smile: .

Sundialed
12-01-2012, 01:01 AM
I want to hug a tree but I don't want to get judged for it, so I grow my own plants and secretly hug them :D

Couple things here, imagine if you saw someone hugging a tree, and you are like wow that's what I want to do and feel a little easier about doing this and go somewhere near by and do it. You could do that for someone else that is wishing to hug a tree but is scared.

Second, you don't want to be judged, but judge yourself? Which in just my opinion, I would much rather have someone else judge me then for me to be fearful by judging myself, just a thought. Your heart wants to, your brain is scared, who will you listen to?

Sundialed
12-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Some natives say trees are elders of the elders.

I can't find the vid right now, but I saw one of a shaman who said that when a council of shamans decided that he was the right man for the job, a tree morphed into a human being and gave him the bag he now uses today and explained and showed him all of the medicines and plants and what not inside then morphed back into a tree!

Squatchit
17-03-2012, 11:02 AM
This chappy looks like he wouldn't give a monkeys what anyone thought of him....:D

http://wordfestblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/treehugger.jpg

Lightspirit
17-03-2012, 11:51 AM
There is something about walking in a forest, A positive energy is there. The trees depending on type have different auras. sometimes they feel like they have differing frequencies they vibrate at. If you are getting a good feeling from tree hugging it might be that you are maybe charging in a weird sort of way.

It is just a personal observation of something that intrigues me as I bush walk which is something I do lots.

Sundialed
17-03-2012, 11:52 PM
this video is a minute and 40 seconds with an amazing tree or trees i forget but listen to what this man says and then think about hugging those trees again, let me know what you think :):)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qhr4OWn_Q&list=UUkKU3HRajtmP_wg92zjyrMg&index=5&feature=plcp

p.s. i know the tree is so beautiful you may not want to read what he says but please do read haha!

Squatchit
18-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I know what you mean about being 'charged' by trees lightworker. I tend to feel rejuvenated after I've hugged one. :smile:

SS - Having watched the clip, I'm looking forward to my next tree hug - alas it's pouring down today so I'll have to wait!

:hug3:

Lightspirit
18-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I know what you mean about being 'charged' by trees lightworker. I tend to feel rejuvenated after I've hugged one. :smile:

SS - Having watched the clip, I'm looking forward to my next tree hug - alas it's pouring down today so I'll have to wait!

:hug3: I dont go along with many new age ideas but that grounding one does work a charm.

sometimes I will be walking down the street and if I see a tree with a bigger aura I will lean against it and try to do that grounding thing in the hope it has some positive benefit.

It does work. Trees area blessing, thats why we need to be active to try to keep them as best we can.

I wil post apic in here of a forest walk hopefully tomorrow. I'll go for a walk and take one just for the fun of it.

Squatchit
18-03-2012, 11:42 AM
I wil post apic in here of a forest walk hopefully tomorrow. I'll go for a walk and take one just for the fun of it.

Yes please...that would be lovely. :hug3:

Lightspirit
31-03-2012, 05:21 AM
It took me a while to post some pictures of busland for this thread but I went trekking today and got you some Aussie bush pics near my home. This is a walk through the bush along a creek that ends at the beach. The place energised me so much.

I took a pic of me to put in here but I looked too scruffy for putting it on the net.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/netpixforsharing/801cea01.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/netpixforsharing/ddf51bef.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/netpixforsharing/5d9c3ce9.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/netpixforsharing/6fa455c9.jpg

Squatchit
31-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Hiya lightworkerAu

Wow, what an awesome looking place. I particularly like the third & fourth photograph. I can imagine all sorts of little creatures playing by the water! :smile:

Those trees look like happy trees.

Thank you for sharing. :hug3:

Squatch

Sarian
01-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Beautiful photos, lighworkerAu...and go ahead and post your scruffy self. I like scruffy. :-)

Lightspirit
01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Me and the kids played in that place for an hour. we often do there is lots of places like it here. I uploaded ashort video of another place for you too.

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u392/spforumpix/?action=view&current=1760b7b2.mp4

Sarian
01-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Very nice!