PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Horoscope

angelicious
12-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Story behind the Oriental horoscope or 'Ming-Shu'

This very ancient form of astrology has a charming story that explains its origins. It goes like this.....

It seems that Lord Buddha finally decided to enter Nirvana and achieve eternal peace, but before his departure it was his wish to hold a party and to invite his twelve favourite animals. As an incentive, Buddha said that he would list the years of the Chinese zodiac according to the order in which the animals arrived. When the animals received the invitations they became very excited and they raced towards the Buddha at great speed. At first the swift Tiger took the lead, but it soon became obvious that the might of the Ox would ensure his victory, for he simply shouldered the Tiger and the other animals aside. Soon the Ox was in front and was convinced that he would begin the order of the years. However, the opportunistic Rat saw his chance and just as the Ox began to bow down before the Enlightened One, the Rat ran up the beast's tail, along his broad back and jumped off the tip of its nose. So amused was Buddha that he gave the first year to the Rat, the second to the resentful Ox, with the Tger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig following in that order.

There you have it, a story I absolutely love to tell. I hope you enjoy and share it with others too.

(Original Author is unknown, so is the detail of the book its from as it's on torn-out pages.)

Ascended Master
14-02-2007, 12:21 AM
Story behind the Oriental horoscope or 'Ming-Shu'

This very ancient form of astrology has a charming story that explains its origins. It goes like this.....

It seems that Lord Buddha finally decided to enter Nirvana and achieve eternal peace, but before his departure it was his wish to hold a party and to invite his twelve favourite animals. As an incentive, Buddha said that he would list the years of the Chinese zodiac according to the order in which the animals arrived. When the animals received the invitations they became very excited and they raced toward the Buddha at great speed. At first the swift Tiger took the lead, but it soon became obvious that the might of the Ox would ensure his victory, for he simply shouldered the Tiger and the other animals aside. Soon the Ox was in front and was convinced that he would begin the order of the years. However, the opportunistic Rat saw his chance and just as the Ox began to bow down before the Enlightened One, the Rat ran up the beast's tail, along his broad back and jumped off the tip of its nose. So amused was Buddha that he gave the first year to the Rat, the second to the resentful Ox, with the Tger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig following in that order.

There you have it, a story I absolutely love to tell. I hope you enjoy and share it with others too.
(Original Author is unknown, so is the detail of the book its from as it's on torn-out pages.)

It'd be an even better story if we knew it was true! :D

Excellent!

AM

kundalini
14-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Great story angelicious and thanks for posting it, K.