PDA

View Full Version : They want to cut tree down

Emmalevine
12-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I have a beautiful horse chestnut tree in my garden. Unfortunately it is very overgrown and has been for some time. My garden is very small in comparison and the branches now hang right across the grass, shutting out nearly all the light and making it difficult to walk in places. I can't hang much washing out either. I live in a rented property and have asked for the tree to be cut back. Last year it eventually was, but it took a lot of hassle and time because the tree has a protection order against it, and the council ordered the tree only be cut back a metre and a half due to this. However, the tree surgeons cut it back 2 metres due to the size. Unfortunately it has already grown too much since then and I have asked for it to be cut back again.

A guy from the housing association came out and agreed it needed cutting back but casually mentioned the tree could be chopped down instead. I said I didn't want this to happen. However, now he has told me that it would be too expensive for the tree surgeons to keep cutting it back year after year, even if the tree was cut right back. So he is adamant it needs to be chopped down.

I am distraught :icon_frown: I love the tree, the birds love it and I don't want to see it go.

Is there anything I can do? I can't afford to pay for the maintenance of the tree. I can see their reasoning but I thought if the tree was cut back to the bare minimum it will take a while to grow.

I feel like I am grieving at the thought of its loss.

Do trees have consciousness? Will it suffer a death?

Any thoughts?

Quintessence
13-10-2011, 12:04 AM
A tree's life is not over when it stops being photosynthetic. Consider transforming it into a snag. If you decide to cut down the tree, this basically means that you will instead girdle it and remove most, but not all of the outlying branches. Then, you have a beautiful standing dead tree, and standing dead trees serve many important ecological roles! They serve as homes for all sorts of creatures, from fungi and microbes to woodpeckers and insects. Just be sure enough of the branches are taken off so that it is not a safety hazard. Otherwise, you can easily leave the main trunk up and a few of the larger branches. Critters will still play in it.

You may also be able to find some folks to take care of the tree without monetary expense. Poke around at botanical centers and schools with programs in forestry. A student might be willing to do the job for a fraction of the cost of a company.

As for the metaphysical side of things, that's up to your own beliefs. My beliefs are animistic, so yes, trees have a Spirit/consciousness. In my experience, though, the tree doesn't "die" when people say the tree dies. It simply changes in character. There is still Spirit in "dead" trees. In this, I think trees are great teachers about the nature of life and death. They teach us that death is an illusion; existence is a continuity of changes and transformations. There is no "The End" with a massive period at the end of the sentence.

Ah, another great thing to do with trees transitioning from "alive" to "dead" is to do something sacred with the wood. My neighbors once slaughtered a bunch of Black Oak trees for no good reason (they didn't even leave them as snags!), and to honor them I made a set of runes from one of the branches.

norseman
13-10-2011, 07:54 AM
I have a staff, hand-made [not by me] from a single branch of Chestnut. This would be a fitting use for a mature tree if it had to be removed but collect the "conkers" and plant them somewhere else. I have been doing that for years with acorns :smile:

Emmalevine
16-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks so much for the lovely suggestions both of you :)

Enya
16-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Go to the tree, connect with it and share your dilemma. Listen to what it has to say. Whatever you decide to do, let it know in advance so it can remove its consciousness from the branches or whole trunk.

Sarian
08-11-2011, 07:05 PM
I like what Q had to say. I hate to see trees being cut or dying trees. I have a 300 plus year old Oak tree in my back that I love, but I see the signs of aging causing more and more dead branches, but still it keeps leafing out every year and dropping acorns. Norseman, how do you get them to grow? I'm not very successful at it. I have planted Oak seedlings I get from the conservation department for better luck.

There was a beautiful austrian pine I loved, and then within one year it died due to a insect caused blight. But even so, walking in forests, I see dead trees used as a buffet of sorts for birds getting insects, the decaying wood feeds the soil and other insects, provides shelter as well, and there's a certain natural beauty to what's left of the tree whether still standing or laying on the ground. I do mourn when one of my own is deteriorating.

Boldylocks
18-12-2011, 08:00 PM
I have a beautiful horse chestnut tree in my garden. Unfortunately it is very overgrown and has been for some time. My garden is very small in comparison and the branches now hang right across the grass, shutting out nearly all the light and making it difficult to walk in places. I can't hang much washing out either. I live in a rented property and have asked for the tree to be cut back. Last year it eventually was, but it took a lot of hassle and time because the tree has a protection order against it, and the council ordered the tree only be cut back a metre and a half due to this. However, the tree surgeons cut it back 2 metres due to the size. Unfortunately it has already grown too much since then and I have asked for it to be cut back again.

A guy from the housing association came out and agreed it needed cutting back but casually mentioned the tree could be chopped down instead. I said I didn't want this to happen. However, now he has told me that it would be too expensive for the tree surgeons to keep cutting it back year after year, even if the tree was cut right back. So he is adamant it needs to be chopped down.

I am distraught :icon_frown: I love the tree, the birds love it and I don't want to see it go.

Is there anything I can do? I can't afford to pay for the maintenance of the tree. I can see their reasoning but I thought if the tree was cut back to the bare minimum it will take a while to grow.

I feel like I am grieving at the thought of its loss.

Do trees have consciousness? Will it suffer a death?

Any thoughts?

Trees do have a consciousness, as does anything with life inside of it. If I were you, i'd not bother them again with trimming it because judging by the attitude of this man, it will be cut down next time. Is there a way you can live with it and accept it being a bit ovegrown? I would be okay with the tree getting cut down only if it were truly diseased and a threat to other trees in the area. If it is just old but still healthy, I dont think it should be destroyed.

The tree will suffer , but I believe it's soul will return to the Creator as all life within living things is eternal. The best time for any tree to be cut down is in the late Fall or Early Spring before the sap flows again and the tree is revived during warmer weather. If it is cut down against your will- pray for this tree's soul and plant a new smaller tree in the same area in honor of this tree. Tell this tree that you will be doing this and praying for it before it gets cut down --IF it does get cut down.

Best of luck to you -- we had to put a beautiful old apple tree down on the side of our home last year. I had a talk with it and thanked it for how much of a blessing it was for all of us - including the birds and how it had fulfilled it's mission on this Earth. That tree fell down on it's own a few days later- and it fell AWAY from our home as though mysteriously guided. It was ready to move on to the Higher Planes. I will say a prayer for your tree too :-)
hugs
Boldy

Mandisa
30-12-2011, 11:44 AM
If the birds love it and you love it, I think you should let it live :smile: (If you can live with it!)

norseman
30-12-2011, 01:11 PM
@Sarian - sorry, I missed your question at the time :smile:.

"Norseman, how do you get them to grow? "
I try to copy nature as much as possible by leaving it to chance. Some will grow, some will not. I do slant the odds a bit by carrying out a simple ritual [asking for Gaia's blessing for each acorn as I plant it]. Having done that, I never go back to check. Perhaps I will in the next life :smile:

Sarian
31-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks norseman. love your comment about checking them in your next life...I have thought about how my trees will be in the next life and will I get to see them. :-)

I wondered too, if setting an acorn in water for some hours helps? Someone told me to do that with I think morning glory seeds before planting.

IsleWalker
31-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Starbuck--

What happened to the protection order? Was this a city council that put it in place and this guy was going to recommend removing the order? If so, you (and all the other council members) should have a say in this. And there should be a time for public comments when the item comes up in their dockets.

What protected it once should still be in place, no?

IsleWaker - Lora

norseman
31-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes to giving them a soak first :D Tell your trees you will be back to see them in a hundred years or so. :smile:

Sarian
31-12-2011, 07:08 PM
hahahaha...will do!

Emmalevine
01-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi all

Thanks for responding.

Basically, the council have sent a letter saying they have reconsidered and will allow up to one metre to be cut off but saying I can contest this. I have gone onto their website and said the tree needs 3-4 metres removed for the cutting to be costworthy and realistic. I'm still waiting to hear.

Doing nothing is not really an option. The tree is already very overgrown, I have a small garden and I literally cannot walk in places as it is. I dread to think how it will be next spring when the leaves appear and the tree has grown. It is also unsafe for my son, plus before too long the branches will be against the house.

I want to keep the tree if at all possible and am relieved the housing association and council have changed their minds about taking it down.

n2mec
16-02-2012, 04:25 AM
For me, I have a rule. "if a tree is cut down, then plant another" it may not grow up in my life time, but the cycle continues. Small trees are not that expensive.