PDA

View Full Version : The Construction of Personality

The Eagle
07-10-2011, 09:48 AM
in reading i came across the idea that the "core personality" is made up from 5 people in your life and i think it was 7 events.

now obviously i do not believe that the numbers are accurate but the concept is interesting.

you, right now, your personality is "made up" from 5 five other people that have influenced you and as the people that have influenced you change, either they change or a different person becomes more influential in your life - so your personality changes.

obviously most of us will have parents as key figures - especially when we are young they are the most influential people to our personalities.

likewise with the events - there are certain events that we go through that shape our presonalities. as different events become more important to us - this helps change our personality.

events can be something like - falling in love, the realisation that you will die one day, a broken heart, becoming a parent - these events change our outlook on life - thus change our personalities.

an interesting concept is there are certain events we all go through in our lives and maybe the order in which we go through them has resounding effects on our personalities.

i think its a pretty good concept about how each of our individual conciousness' - our individual outlooks, beliefs etc are shaped and change. :smile:

(as a side note - if anyone wants to discuss personalities being fake and not your own true self etc - please start a new thread and discuss it there, this is NOT about that - thanks.)

Squatchit
07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Interesting post. :smile:

I know I've been shaped and moulded by others...in certain areas. And most definitely both parents were big players.

However, things like my sense of humour seem to come from a place that has nothing to do with anyone else. I can't control what makes me laugh, and what doesn't. It's just 'there', if that makes sense. Likewise, my taste in music. I either like it or don't. I've often wondered if these are inherent Squatchit choices, in-built before I was born.

Who knows? Not I, that's for sure. :D

Squatch

Humm
07-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I think genetics definitely play a role, but environment (that is, people and events) also play a role.

And then there is individuation. At some point we learn to evaluate and direct ourselves. Obviously we can't just pull ourselves out of a vacume, but I think at some point our own choices also becomes a major factor.

...some people more than others, of course...

Emmalevine
07-10-2011, 03:10 PM
The difficulty is, siblings can be brought up in the same family and yet experience their parents completely differently.

The reason? Environments are experienced differently by each person. Therefore it is not simply role models, key events etc that determine a person.

Parents react to their children differently according to their perceptions, hopes and expectations. Children can experience their roles in the family unit very differently, as well as experience expectations and perceptions from family members as per above. In addition, children have their own personal lens right from birth, which enables them to percieve their surroundings and experiences in their own unique way. They also mould these perceptions very uniquely.

Twin studies have shown that personality is only about 30% genetic, the rest is determined by environment.

Plenty more studies have looked at how personality develops. The results are varied as one might imagine, but what they all have in common is the agreement that more than one factor is involved.

Humm
07-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Agreed.

It is a very complex subject.

Lynn
07-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Hello

We might well add in past life expereinces too into the mix.

I have to think its part geneitic our DNA makeup....but on a deeper level tramatic events or experiences can really shake us up. NDE for me was life changing. Understanding "Gifts" too was a huge change.

Many people that come into out lives can alter our paths in possitive or negative ways....we can be lead down the garden path.

I could easily break it into 5 things.....but there would be branches off from that core.

Lynn

Silver
07-10-2011, 05:12 PM
It'd be interesting to know, for long timers here at the forum, if they feel that way about the people they are drawn to...same with the work place or school. How much do our co-workers and teachers/professors play into the shaping of our personalities...

Eudaimonist
08-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I think genetics definitely play a role, but environment (that is, people and events) also play a role.

And then there is individuation. At some point we learn to evaluate and direct ourselves. Obviously we can't just pull ourselves out of a vacume, but I think at some point our own choices also becomes a major factor.

...some people more than others, of course...

Pretty much this ^

eudaimonia,

Mark

Eudaimonist
08-10-2011, 07:46 AM
It'd be interesting to know, for long timers here at the forum, if they feel that way about the people they are drawn to...same with the work place or school. How much do our co-workers and teachers/professors play into the shaping of our personalities...

I think it depends on how old one is. I don't think that co-workers for me today (I'm 44 years old) play ANY role in shaping my personality. My personality is "settled" and on its own track.

I do agree that I was influenced by the values of others as a child, but I still suspect that my genetics played a significant role. For instance, I'm an introvert, and I don't believe that this was due to any external influence.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Silver
08-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I guess it is true then, that in a certain age bracket, we've done just about all the changing and being molded that's going to happen.

Xan
08-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I guess it is true then, that in a certain age bracket, we've done just about all the changing and being molded that's going to happen.

I wouldn't be so sure, Silvergirl.... :wink:

Xan

not human
08-10-2011, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't be so sure, Silvergirl.... :wink:

Xan

Amen to that...............:tongue:

Eudaimonist
08-10-2011, 10:46 PM

No, I'm only suggesting that after a certain age, we are complete and formed enough to be self-shapers.

eudaimonia,

Mark

jorddy
08-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Personality.
The thing that makes you you and me me! Physically, I believe that our genetics most definitely set a foundation for the person in viewing their world - how much? I could settle for the 30% that Starbucks stated.
This leads me to - where do these genetics come from? Why are some family members so alike from day one? Why do some people instantly connected from day one? (Not because of similarity in environment, but personality) -> Genetics are brought about from the make up that you (your soul) wishes your humanitarian personality to cohere to before entry into this world.
This foundation leads to observations, critical thinking, judgements and actions. From this foundation, we have our individual freedom, we can always change our perspectives but indeed, we shall always maintain this 30% personality core trait that lies under everything.

30% Foundation A.K.A Personality -> 60% Perspective based that adapts over time due to many different factors (such as environmental, people that are looked up to and most importantly yourself) - Once you realize that this 60% perspective based view is 'up for grabs', you realize that you hold the key to your world. You are the observer and at any time, you can change your views on everything. :)
This revelation has led me to massive growth in the past couple years, still does, and forever will (in this life time at least) :P

Love yourself, love change and most importantly realize the illusion you live in so that you can further morph it into a place that you wish to see.

Much Love,
Jorddy

blackraven
09-10-2011, 12:01 AM
The Eagle - Very interesting post. I thought about all the primary people who have influenced me in my life and I came up with about 10. And the major events were so many I had to stop counting. I guess I've been around too long. LOL It was a meaningful exercise to think back about my life and for that I thank you. :)

Blackraven

Xan
09-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Then there's de-construction of the personality... at least the ways we've been clinging to it as our identity.

Xan

Xan
09-10-2011, 02:34 AM
What you are is what you have been. What you’ll be is what you do now. - The Buddha

Silver
09-10-2011, 02:36 AM
Then there's de-construction of the personality... at least the ways we've been clinging to it as our identity.

Xan

Sounds painful. What's de-construction of one's personality all about, Xan?

Xan
09-10-2011, 02:43 AM

It's about gradually letting go of who you think you are - from your conditioning, and discovering who you really are - in essence.

It is painful at times, but the rewards are enormous.

Xan

Silver
09-10-2011, 02:45 AM
What's de-construction of one's personality all about, Xan?

It's about gradually letting go of who you think you and discovering who you really are.

Xan

Ok...little more...grin...do people do it deliberately or does it just happen? Are there 'symptoms' of it happening? Like um sleeping more or being moodier?

Xan
09-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Ok...little more...grin...do people do it deliberately or does it just happen? Are there 'symptoms' of it happening? Like um sleeping more or being moodier?

It's both... It begins to happen spontaneously in our spiritual awakening process, and we may learn to consciously choose letting go.

There are lots of 'symptoms', uncomfortable ones like you mentioned, and others like joy for-no-reason and love with-no-object.

Xan

mattie
09-10-2011, 08:03 AM
What you are is what you have been. What you’ll be is what you do now. - The Buddha

Moving into taking full responsibility for our self. BEing our own creator.

mattie
09-10-2011, 08:06 AM
That there are people & events that influence our personality doesn’t mean that we are JUST the sum of these things. This is just where we begin. We make innumerable choices about to what extent we become our own person.

Eudaimonist
09-10-2011, 08:09 AM

That's a great quote.

eudaimonia,

Mark

wizhard
09-10-2011, 12:10 PM
i have sat back and studied personality and illness and tried many things.there have been studies on colors changing personality i know that colors play a big role in personality and illness.its just about getting the right colors for the right day.

Emmalevine
09-10-2011, 12:17 PM

It's about gradually letting go of who you think you are - from your conditioning, and discovering who you really are - in essence.

Xan

I'm definitely experiencing this, bit by bit. It has been somewhat painful at times but the result is I feel freer and more peaceful inside. I'm only what I choose to be and the same is true for us all. We are not tied to our backgrounds, to life events, tragedies or to what other people think of us, even what our own minds tell us. We always have a choice what, if anything, to identify with. Lack of identification is what I believe we are in essence.