PDA

View Full Version : Ruinic Q&A

Michael B.
27-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Because there isn't really a place to ask questions about the meaning of runes, and advice with reading them, it's probably best to make one. I don't really know how the Tarot "School" is run, but I have a pretty good idea what would the best way to run this. In the traditional sense there won't be listings of meanings, but I'll give explanations on demand (and I'm sure the other Runemasters will as well.) Some runes we need more creative examples, and I can try to help with that. As for the homemade runes vs. bought argument, things you make you tend to bond with, but bought runes can be just as good. Whatever works for you works.

With learning Galdr, I know I for fact can't give much guidance there. If you need to ask about it, feel free, but it's a matter of expression. Nobody can tell you how to be creative.

Well, I hope this will be helpful, if there is something that isn't covered here you'd like to ask, it shouldn't be any trouble.

norseman
27-09-2011, 07:42 AM
MIchael, I am only just beginning to develop an interest in Runes.

The way the Tarot "School" runs is that one member sets a task -generally a reading or a topic - and draws the cards to be used. The other members then draw the same cards from their own decks and interpret them. The person who set the task will then "round-up" and comment on the interpretations. Then someone else sets another task and so on. We get a wide range of individual interpretations from a single set of cards.

Could you do the same or similar with runes ? :smile: Learning by doing ! Note we also have a Tarot 101 Thread for questions.

Michael B.
27-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Sure, we could do both. Runes are big on moral lessons though so I'd like to have there be help with that also, but I see no problem with that idea. I'll add that to the first post for future reference.
Edit: Wait, never mind, I can't edit the first post. that's kind of annoying.

Michael B.
03-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Bump, I was hoping there'd be a bit more interest. Runes tend to be pretty faithful in my experience, and I have no problem helping out with learning them.

Adrienne
04-10-2011, 01:56 PM
I think the Runes school was a great idea, they are an interesting divination tool that I would like to learn about. Just that I don't have any runes or any questions. I hope you find some students !

Dream Angel xx

Moonkissed ☽O☾ Wolf
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I love the idea as well! I'm trying to learn more about runes and gather supplies to make some. :)

Michael B.
05-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Personally, I'd wait till you have a general idea what the Runes mean to make a set. It'd be more meaningful to make them with a good idea what means what. It's a matter of opinion, but that's what I think.

Michael B.
20-10-2011, 12:58 AM
It might not be a bad idea to dig this up, and try to remind people this is here. I don't know how popular Runes are, but I'm sure there are at least some questions on the matter.

scorpiowitch66
20-10-2011, 01:59 PM
I need a little help with Kenaz. There seems to be so many different ways you can read it, even within a spread.

My interpretation is light, clarity and insight....

Other interpretations I have found are 'inner fire, opportunity, offer'.

it just doesnt seem to jive for me. Any thoughts?

Adagio11
21-10-2011, 10:42 PM
I've never touched a set of Runes in my life. I've practiced with just about every other divination tool. I would like to learn, but they seem rather complex. I'm used to using these tools instinctually. This would be much different. But, I'm definitely willing to learn!

P.S. I'm in Cincinnati! :-D

P.S.S. My spelling is awful and my work uses Internet Explorer 5.1.91 ...seriously. Thus, i don't have spell check.

Michael B.
22-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I need a little help with Kenaz. There seems to be so many different ways you can read it, even within a spread.

My interpretation is light, clarity and insight....

Other interpretations I have found are 'inner fire, opportunity, offer'.

it just doesnt seem to jive for me. Any thoughts?

It depends, I've thought of it as Inner fire, but opportunity it is not. Jera is the Rune for that. It's not an offer either, that's Gebo. It is inspiration, which can come in interesting ways, but Kenaz is on the smallest scale. The Torch burns out quickly, while the sun or the day last much longer.

I've never touched a set of Runes in my life. I've practiced with just about every other divination tool. I would like to learn, but they seem rather complex. I'm used to using these tools instinctually. This would be much different. But, I'm definitely willing to learn!

P.S. I'm in Cincinnati! :-D

P.S.S. My spelling is awful and my work uses Internet Explorer 5.1.91 ...seriously. Thus, i don't have spell check.
Well, take a look a the Runes and see where you get. They aren't really that complex though, but I'd say they are very tightly knit. You can choose to look at the finer details of it, but I just keep it simple for the most part.

Kristine
22-10-2011, 11:40 PM
I may be interested in runes. I always kind of know when the tarot cards are lying to me, but I like to play with them anyway. A friend had me pick on once and she said it was about a car I tried 3 more times and picked the same darn one.
I know nothing really, so teach away.

Michael B.
23-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I have written down things about the Runes before, but there are plenty of good sources around the internet. The Alphabet I use is the Elder Futhark. It takes up a lot of time and space to explain everything, so my philosophy right now is, give it the good college try, and come here with any questions.

scorpiowitch66
23-10-2011, 03:40 PM
It depends, I've thought of it as Inner fire, but opportunity it is not. Jera is the Rune for that. It's not an offer either, that's Gebo. It is inspiration, which can come in interesting ways, but Kenaz is on the smallest scale. The Torch burns out quickly, while the sun or the day last much longer.

That makes sense. But that leads me to my next question. Suppose Kenaz came up in a spread in a "distant past" position? How would you read it?

Michael B.
23-10-2011, 04:42 PM
That makes sense. But that leads me to my next question. Suppose Kenaz came up in a spread in a "distant past" position? How would you read it?
If it was reversed, I'd probably say False Hope. If not, Insight would be my first guess. It all depends though. With either one, I'd be wondering what it's regarding.

scorpiowitch66
25-10-2011, 09:45 PM
If it was reversed, I'd probably say False Hope. If not, Insight would be my first guess. It all depends though. With either one, I'd be wondering what it's regarding.

Exactly...which is why I question it. The spread I was using was basically a past-present-future but over a person's life.... The first position, which was "Distant Past", I interpreted as birth. Kenaz was in that position which made it difficult to read....

Thanks for the help!

Michael B.
26-10-2011, 12:09 AM
If it doesn't feel like it's answering the question you asked, make sure it isn't answering something else. Sometimes the Runes have better questions to answer than the ones you asked.

Morgana Rose
26-10-2011, 10:01 AM
i will have a "set" of runes very soon, so i may very well be here asking advice :) i've always been very interested in runes, just never got around to it lol.
hopefully i'll be able to gain some insight to the runes when they arrive :)
brilliant idea this thread :)

seahorse
26-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Personally, I'd wait till you have a general idea what the Runes mean to make a set. It'd be more meaningful to make them with a good idea what means what. It's a matter of opinion, but that's what I think.
I'm a bit sceptical about this. Out of curiosity i made a set of Elder Furthark Runes myself this summer, having no idea about their meanings, and i still don't ! Fact is i google for interpretations every time i do a reading, keeping what resonates witin me as appropriate in every case. I let the whole thing be instinctual and from what people say the readings are quite accurate. I could be wrong but i tend to trust gut instincts, they're seldom wrong contrary to "conscious" thought that often deceives us.:smile:

Michael B.
26-10-2011, 12:02 PM
If your going to use something, you should well know what your using and how it works. It's not being very honorable to just do everything by the book, regardless of the tricks you use with it.

Adrienne
26-10-2011, 04:14 PM
If your going to use something, you should well know what your using and how it works. It's not being very honorable to just do everything by the book, regardless of the tricks you use with it.

This seems rather vague, how does one learn if not by using a book ? Does one " just know " ? if so, then how can you answer questions that people are asking ?

and I don't see anywhere that seahorse said he was using tricks ~
trusting gut instincts is like a " knowing or intuition " in my opinion

Dream Angel xx

seahorse
26-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Playing with lil' runes isn't exactly rocket science or discovering the cure for cancer..don't take yourself or your runes too seriously Mike, there are more important things in life.....

Adrienne
26-10-2011, 05:28 PM
choosing runes ~ how is this done ? put them in a bag and draw them out one by one ? or does one shake the bag and see which ones fall out ?

seahorse
26-10-2011, 06:52 PM
choosing runes ~ how is this done ? put them in a bag and draw them out one by one ? or does one shake the bag and see which ones fall out ?
Well...unenlightened ones like me cut a little hole in the bottom of the bag, shake and shake until one falls off, then repeat the procedure. I call this the "Lotto Draw" :icon_eek:
and yes i know i have this lottery fixation, but i'm working on it :D

Adrienne
26-10-2011, 06:58 PM
hee hee on the lottery fixation ! :D " Lotto Draw " amazing how that word comes into the conversations , nice easy way for the runes to be chosen

Michael B.
27-10-2011, 02:27 AM
Playing with lil' runes isn't exactly rocket science or discovering the cure for cancer..don't take yourself or your runes too seriously Mike, there are more important things in life.....
There's a lot more to it than your giving credit for, the meanings go much deeper than they seem to. Your not respecting the means your using, and I'm not very fond of that. Reading also isn't the only thing Runes can be used for. Galdr is Runic, and it's also more artistic, seeing as it's more musical. Besides, if you aren't taking your tools seriously, how can you trust them? A compass can make a circle, but that doesn't mean that's all it's good for.

With that rant over, when I read I grab a handful and drop them or toss them. Layouts are fine, but I don't see the need of always using layouts. It's up to you how you choose to do it though.

dhaga
03-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi Michael. Thanks for starting this thread up. It's great to have a place for people to come to ask questions specifically about the runes, from a runemaster no less :)

There's a lot more to it than your giving credit for, the meanings go much deeper than they seem to. Your not respecting the means your using, and I'm not very fond of that. Reading also isn't the only thing Runes can be used for. Galdr is Runic, and it's also more artistic, seeing as it's more musical.

I've had my rune set (purchased) for about, wow, I guess it's been 17 years now. The set came with a little book about divination uses for them, and interpretations for each one. I always felt there was more to them than just a divination tool, though, and that sparked an interest in exploring other uses...

I am currently studying the deeper meanings of the runes, individually and as a whole. Once I feel I have a solid understanding of each, I plan to move onto stadhr (sp?) and practicing galdr as well -- I suspect on the latter, my pronunciation may be off... but I don't feel that matters so much as the heart and intent put into it.

No questions just yet... but I look forward to keeping up with this thread. :)

Michael B.
04-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi Michael. Thanks for starting this thread up. It's great to have a place for people to come to ask questions specifically about the runes, from a runemaster no less :)

I've had my rune set (purchased) for about, wow, I guess it's been 17 years now. The set came with a little book about divination uses for them, and interpretations for each one. I always felt there was more to them than just a divination tool, though, and that sparked an interest in exploring other uses...

I am currently studying the deeper meanings of the runes, individually and as a whole. Once I feel I have a solid understanding of each, I plan to move onto stadhr (sp?) and practicing galdr as well -- I suspect on the latter, my pronunciation may be off... but I don't feel that matters so much as the heart and intent put into it.

No questions just yet... but I look forward to keeping up with this thread. :)
That's good to to hear, but are you talking about Seidr by any chance? I learned the base meanings of the Runes from the internet, and I one of the sites I used mentioned that. While I meddle around with Galdr, I have yet to try that specifically. Here (http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/seidr.html) is the website, if it's any use.

dhaga
04-11-2011, 05:38 PM
That's good to to hear, but are you talking about Seidr by any chance? I learned the base meanings of the Runes from the internet, and I one of the sites I used mentioned that. While I meddle around with Galdr, I have yet to try that specifically. Here (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sunnyway.com%2Frun es%2Fseidr.html) is the website, if it's any use.

I'm not familiar with the term Seidr. I'll check out the site and let you know :)

dhaga
09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
That site has a lot of different information about Seidr, so I'm not sure if what I am doing is that, specifically...

Right now, I am taking a more scholastic approach, memorizing the meanings and uses of each of the 24 runes in the elder row before I advance to actual practice. I believe this will help me when it comes time to call on them, not having to stop and check my notes so often :)

Michael B.
09-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Just remember to account for the Aetts, the Aett the Rune is in accounts for part of the meaning. Fehu verses Othila for example, Fehu is wealth in things earned and regarding happiness; Othila is possessions, regarding things that are justly ours.

JimmyTheTulip
16-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I have recently been doing some research on Runes due to the fact that I believe that I have been seeing them during my last couple sessions of meditation. When I saw them originally, I did an internet search to try and find out what these symbols and texts were that I was seeing and the only thing that I could really connect those symbols to, were Runes. Since finding that out, and before I did any kind of research into the meaning of Runes, I had a strong connection to Fehu, Raidho, Wunjo, and Mannaz.

I have a pretty good understanding of their meanings now but could anyone give me any insight as to why I would have such a strong connection to them without even knowing what they meant?

Michael B.
17-11-2011, 02:04 AM
I have recently been doing some research on Runes due to the fact that I believe that I have been seeing them during my last couple sessions of meditation. When I saw them originally, I did an internet search to try and find out what these symbols and texts were that I was seeing and the only thing that I could really connect those symbols to, were Runes. Since finding that out, and before I did any kind of research into the meaning of Runes, I had a strong connection to Fehu, Raidho, Wunjo, and Mannaz.

I have a pretty good understanding of their meanings now but could anyone give me any insight as to why I would have such a strong connection to them without even knowing what they meant?
Looking at them, three of four are in the First Aett, which suggests a strong veering toward happiness as fundamental. In that specific order, Fehu and Raidho make wealth in the journey, but I'm sure it goes deeper than that. Or even a Journey based on Hard Work. Pairing the next two, it sounds like we have isolation from people. I'm a better reader if I can do it one on one, but you'd have to get a hold of me sometime for that.

JimmyTheTulip
17-11-2011, 02:11 AM
Thanks Michael! I notice you're in Ohio...what part? I'm in the Columbus area...

Michael B.
17-11-2011, 11:38 AM
It's no trouble, but I just meant that the forums are terrible for doing readings in my opinion. I work a lot better when there isn't so much delay in everything, but that might just be me. A lot more can be said, so a lot more can be done when it's done over messenger or whatnot. Anyway, I'm up north, in Ashland county. It's quite a ways away, to be honest.

dhaga
15-12-2011, 10:42 PM

Knowledge of the meanings is not necessary to have a connection to them. It is part of the mystery, and the reason people ask for any sort of divine reading. I know very little about Tarot meanings, yet certain cards will be drawn for me, and the meaning then explained :)

Animus27
16-12-2011, 01:36 AM
That's good to to hear, but are you talking about Seidr by any chance? I learned the base meanings of the Runes from the internet, and I one of the sites I used mentioned that. While I meddle around with Galdr, I have yet to try that specifically. Here (http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/seidr.html) is the website, if it's any use.
I was very pleased to see Bil Linzie's [The Seithman] website on that list. He is certainly an antidote to the fluffiness that permeates so much of the modern Seiðr revivals.

Some lots of interesting links to mull over as well. I didn't know SunnyWay had a Seiðr page (probably because I was horrified at their lore pages lol).

Michael B.
17-12-2011, 12:28 AM
I haven't gone much into lore and the mythology of it, but I might have to sooner or later. Seiðr seemed interesting, but I've liked using Galdr a bit more regardless.

Rhodes
30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I bought my runes out of curiosity and I really like the purple coloring for the runes. The guide is not what I expected when I cast them and since the guide only gives the positive and not the negative (balance), casting wands has been a bit more revealing.