PDA

View Full Version : Was Jesus In India?

Swingdance
23-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Maybe this has been posted here previously? I'm new.

There is a belief among some scholars that Jesus, sometime during that period in which his life is unaccounted for actually traveled to India and learned what he later taught from buddhist masters. There are a number of websites on this subject and some YouTube videos as well. There are also books on the subject. What's pointed out among other things are the uncanny similarities between the teachings of Jesus and that of the Buddha.

Not saying that I myself believe it to be actually true though as it's all speculative.

nightowl
23-09-2011, 03:42 AM
I find this a fascinating topic. I am like you I have read a few things on the topic, but I am not a scholar about it, so I would be very interested in the responses you get...

Swingdance
23-09-2011, 03:53 AM
If you google on Jesus In India or Youtube there's some material there. Since I'm new I can't yet post links.

nightowl
23-09-2011, 04:00 AM
If you google on Jesus In India or Youtube there's some material there. Since I'm new I can't yet post links.

Have you seen the site that speaks of a Jesus tomb in India?

Miss Hepburn
23-09-2011, 04:04 AM
Was Jesus in India?
Is the Pope Catholic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Notovitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Notovitch)

Swingdance
23-09-2011, 04:07 AM
Have you seen the site that speaks of a Jesus tomb in India?

Yes, I have seen that on YouTube.

theophilus
23-09-2011, 05:22 PM
And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there, and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?”
Matthew 13:53-57 ESV

The people of Nazareth were surprised at the wisdom of Jesus and wondered where he had gotten it. Would this have been the case if he had just gotten back from a long sojourn in India? Their reaction shows that he had grown up in Nazareth and from a human perspective there had been no way he could have achieved such wisdom.

Time
23-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Some say a prophit went into india after christs supposed death, and was the "original" buddha, or influence the story

Seperate_Reality
23-09-2011, 05:54 PM
After the supposed death of Jesus, the body was not found, so there is only speculation by man from that point on...

Lord Buddha lived a half-millenium before Jesus.

Some apocryphal writings, such as the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, have the child Jesus doing all sorts of miracles and vindictive acts. But the Bible itself is silent about Jesus' childhood years, except for this one brief account in Luke.

"Luke 2:39-52

[39] When Joseph and Mary had done everything required by the Law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee to their own town of Nazareth. [40] And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him.

[41] Every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. [42] When he was twelve years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. [43] After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. [44] Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. [45] When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. [46] After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. [47] Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. [48] When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you."

[49] "Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" [50] But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

[51] Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. [52] And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men."

http://www.bibleufo.com/anomlostbooks96.htm

Swingdance
23-09-2011, 06:46 PM
And that's just what a lot of people refer to; the fact that the life of Jesus is unaccounted for before he began his ministry save for his birth and his time in the temple as a child. And it's a pretty wide gap; he could have gone anywhere and done anything during that time. Now, if he indeed did travel there, why did he do so? And why India?

mattie
23-09-2011, 08:51 PM
It’s also been speculated that between the missing years of 12 & 30 Jesus was studying w/ some high level teachers in Egypt.

‘According to Cayce, Jesus was sixteen years old when his education about the ways of the ancient teachers began. First, he traveled to Egypt where, as an infant, Jesus was taken after his birth by his parents to flee Herod as the Gospel of Matthew states. After spending time learning in Egypt, Jesus spent three years in India and finally a year in Persia.’

Much more at-
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen049.html

Swingdance
23-09-2011, 09:02 PM
It’s also been speculated that between the missing years of 12 & 30 Jesus was studying w/ some high level teachers in Egypt.

‘According to Cayce, Jesus was sixteen years old when his education about the ways of the ancient teachers began. First, he traveled to Egypt where, as an infant, Jesus was taken after his birth by his parents to flee Herod as the Gospel of Matthew states. After spending time learning in Egypt, Jesus spent three years in India and finally a year in Persia.’

I've also heard that he may have spent time with a Hebrew monastic order that existed at the time; forget the name, but they too are suppose to have had such teachings.

Seperate_Reality
23-09-2011, 09:05 PM
This is one of a few good speculative links on this subject. It's only speculation, but I think the paragraph below here is quite rational and probably very true...

"Jesus certainly studied and preached during his lost years. There is no reason for Jesus to have stopped preaching, especially when as a twelve-year-old he told his mother of his commitment. This almost certainly means that he traveled and evangelized elsewhere, as nonbiblical evidence indicates. Being one of the greatest moral prophets to ever bless humankind, he would not have spent his formative years contented to be a carpenter in his boyhood community, which would have nullified everything about his prophecy as the Messiah, his anointed birth, and his prodigious childhood."

Also of interest:" Both land and sea trade routes had run through Jerusalem for centuries. Overland routes extending to Persia and western India were especially active after Alexander's invasion of western India 360 years earlier; most of the routes, whether connecting to wealthy cities in Egypt or in Greece and Rome, came through Jerusalem, where goods for Greece and Rome were shipped via the Mediterranean Sea. Sea routes from Bombay and the mouth of the Indus River went through the Persian and Red Gulfs, the distance between the mouths of the Indus and Tigris and Euphrates rivers being only about three hundred miles; much of the trade came up the Gulf of Aquaba and overland up to Jerusalem (actually nearby Jappa) as the shipping point to the Mediterranean."

http://www.thezensite.com/non_Zen/Was_Jesus_Buddhist.html

innerlight
23-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Much more at-
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen049.html
 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.near-death.com%2Fexperiences%2Forigen049.html%26%238232 %3B)

Didn't Cayce have a lot of his predictions not come true?

To the subject at hand. There is a missing about of years of Jesus's life. Who is to say where he went and learned from. Are we to say that he just sat at home all that time, or just toiled the days working for a living before he decided to go off and preach.

Time
23-09-2011, 09:31 PM

To the subject at hand. There is a missing about of years of Jesus's life. Who is to say where he went and learned from. Are we to say that he just sat at home all that time, or just toiled the days working for a living before he decided to go off and preach.

At the risk of sounding condecending....

Because he wouldnt be "cool" then, if you catch my drift...

mattie
23-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I've also heard that he may have spent time with a Hebrew monastic order that existed at the time; forget the name, but they too are suppose to have had such teachings.

This may have been the Essenes.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=essenes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

mattie
23-09-2011, 11:08 PM

... There is a missing about of years of Jesus's life. Who is to say where he went and learned from. Are we to say that he just sat at home all that time, or just toiled the days working for a living before he decided to go off and preach.

I agree that it is unlikely that Jesus just made the jump from an ordinary life to having real conviction about theology, being intent on change w/o having some really serious spiritual study somewhere.

I’m not at all a Cayce expert, so I’m not sure about his correct/incorrect prediction ratio. It seems predictions were a very minor part of Cayce’s work. Of his 14,000 readings 9,603 were health readings, 1920 were past life readings, 747 were business advice, & 630 were interpreting dreams. Prophecies were in a miscellaneous group of 954 readings that included missing persons, buried treasure, readings for a spiritual group, auras, & other topics not fitting into the other categories.
http://www.crystalinks.com/edgar_cayce.html

‘Although some have called Cayce a "prophet," he himself made no such claims. In fact, in one reading, he described himself as a "lowly, weak, unworthy channel" (254-76). He rarely made any predictions about worldwide events, mostly because these kinds of predictions are subject to countless outside influences.’
http://www.edgarcayce.org/are/edgarcayce.aspx?id=2496

With any channeler or psychic, predictions are only the best estimate of what will occur. Things can & do change that will modify a prediction.

More on Cayce’s readings- http://www.edgarcayce.org/are/edgarcayce.aspx?id=2074

While Cayce is often said to be wrong on his prediction that Atlantis would rise in 1968/9, this is perhaps due to our (mis)interpretation of what we think should occur. Just as w/ spirit or guide contact, we sometimes a dramatic movie-like result is expected when much more subtle things actually apply.

In Frank Joseph’s ‘Atlantis and Other Lost Worlds’ he discusses the following 2 Cayce predictions relevant to his book. In 1933 Cayce described the sunken continent of Atlantis that extended across the Atlantic to Bimini, off Florida’s coast, predicting the Bimini portion would be among the first part to rise in 1968/9. In 1968 a civilian pilot observed a substantial structure barely underwater called the Bimini Wall where Cayce predicted. A California archaeologist, William Donato, has done extensive study of this underwater structure for 20 years w/ scuba dives, sonar, underwater cameras, & submarines to document it is a large man-made structure, probably an ancient harbor.

In 1930 Cayce stated the Nile river once flowed across the Sahara to the Atlantic Ocean in prehistory. He was, of course, ridiculed severely for decades about this until the 1994 survey of N. Africa by the US Space Shuttle Endeavor clearly identified this ancient river bed & tributaries described.

‘Dr. Farouq El-Baz, NASA scientist and Professor at Boston University piqued the interest of Biblical scholars around the world with his announcement of the so-called Kuwait River. ... Yet evidence for such a river came from the satellite radar images taken during the 1994 mission of the Space Shuttle Endeavor. ... traces of a defunct river that crossed northern Arabia from west to east were visible beneath the sands, thanks to the ground-penetrating capabilities of the radar technologies.’
http://www.discoveringislam.org/arabia_river.htm
http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/news/story.aspx?id=200

Bimini Road photos & diagram-
http://www.subversiveelement.com/biminiroad.html

psychoslice
23-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I don't even think there was a Jesus, but I do think that some of the teachings that were said to be from Christ did come from India.

Swingdance
23-09-2011, 11:30 PM
There was man in India referred to as Saint Issa and it is he that some believe was actually Jesus. He spent time at a monastary in the Himilayas and it was there where he learned from the monks so some accounts go.

TeeHee
23-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe this has been posted here previously? I'm new.

There is a belief among some scholars that Jesus, sometime during that period in which his life is unaccounted for actually traveled to India and learned what he later taught from buddhist masters. There are a number of websites on this subject and some YouTube videos as well. There are also books on the subject. What's pointed out among other things are the uncanny similarities between the teachings of Jesus and that of the Buddha.

Not saying that I myself believe it to be actually true though as it's all speculative.

Luke Chapter 4

“He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was His custom.

Time
23-09-2011, 11:33 PM
SO according to that jesus practiced judeism (if he was around)

mattie
23-09-2011, 11:35 PM
There was man in India referred to as Saint Issa and it is he that some believe was actually Jesus. He spent time at a monastary in the Himilayas and it was there where he learned from the monks so some accounts go.

A search of ‘saint+issa+jesus’ pulls up:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=saint+issa+jesus&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=saint+issa+jesus&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&ei=Gwl9TsHIGoLAtgfL841N&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=2425fad4bf223898&biw=1537&bih=890

Lightspirit
23-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Ok here is a thought regarding this I came across recently.
Jesus was a carpenter- a builder. The bible is clear on that.

Nearby to Galilee in the time before his ministry began a city called Tiberias was being founded sometime around 20 CE and there would have been construction work going on. That could account for some of the time before Jesus ministry began.

As for Jesus travelling to see other people, I cant imagine why not. God comes to earth in human form one time only in recorded history so I imagine he might want to take a look around from a humans point of view.

I wouldn't rule it out. God loves all men after all. I wouldn't rule it out and I wouldn't accept it as a truth either because the internet is full of stuff like this and it only opinion.

If he did go to india which he may have in the time before his ministry began it may

TeeHee
23-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Ok here is a thought regarding this I came across recently.
Jesus was a carpenter- a builder. The bible is clear on that.

Nearby to Galilee in the time before his ministry began a city called Tiberias was being founded sometime around 20 CE and there would have been construction work going on. That could account for some of the time before Jesus ministry began.

As for Jesus travelling to see other people, I cant imagine why not. God comes to earth in human form one time only in recorded history so I imagine he might want to take a look around from a humans point of view.

I wouldn't rule it out. God loves all men after all. I wouldn't rule it out and I wouldn't accept it as a truth either because the internet is full of stuff like this and it only opinion.

If he did go to india which he may have in the time before his ministry began it may

Just so long as you understand that that is speculation lightworkerau. And another thought that is purely speculation, and that is, if and that is a big if, Jesus had been taught in other religious beliefs, one would expect that the Bible would be "littered" with them according to His teachings. However, if this is true, one could also speculate that Jesus rejected them. Similar in thought really, to Muhammad rejecting the Bible approx. 500 years later. Or even that Prophesy might mention it approx. five hundred years before Jesus' birth when the Old Testament was completed. "And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son."

TeeHee
24-09-2011, 12:23 AM
It might be worthwhile to mention that the Legend of Thomas has this apostle placed in India, and that he met his fate there after converting the king. His death if I recall correctly was in the way of a lance. Like all the apostles, he too was true until death for his testimony, according to legend.

Lightspirit
24-09-2011, 12:47 AM
It might be worthwhile to mention that the Legend of Thomas has this apostle placed in India, and that he met his fate there after converting the king. His death if I recall correctly was in the way of a lance. Like all the apostles, he too was true until death for his testimony, according to legend.

I watched a documentary about The apostle Thomas on tv a while ago going to india It was very interesting.

Thats the thing we only have what history has written everything else is guessing and filling in the blanks..

I am suspicious of people with "special" knowledge of blanks. I have been sucked in a few to many times and am hard sold on way out there ideas now.

like I said It may have happened but jesus going to india its not a widely accepted truth amongst most biblical scholars.

Just like the catholic church wrote the Quran theory.....lol just theories.

TeeHee
24-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Thats the thing we onlyhave what history has written everything else is guessing and filling in the blanks..

I am suspicious of people with "special" knowledge of blanks. I have been sucked in a few to many times and am hard sold on way out there ideas now.

like I said It "MAY" have happened but its not a widely accepted truth.

Just like the catholic church wrote the Quran theory.....lol just theories.

Agreed, I thought too why was the life of Jesus not recorded up until His ministry where he had performed miracle after miracle. Perhaps this is an indicator of our lives, what is notable, or worthy of print in the final chapters of our lives.

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Enjoy lightworkerau.

Swingdance
24-09-2011, 02:58 AM
We have Jesus traveling to India and to Egypt and maybe other locations?

Now, isn't it the Mormon belief that Jesus came to the Americas?

nightowl
24-09-2011, 03:15 AM

Now, isn't it the Mormon belief that Jesus came to the Americas?

Yes, and that he preached to the Native Americans...

Time
24-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Just so long as you understand that that is speculation lightworkerau. And another thought that is purely speculation, and that is, if and that is a big if, Jesus had been taught in other religious beliefs, one would expect that the Bible would be "littered" with them according to His teachings. However, if this is true, one could also speculate that Jesus rejected them. Similar in thought really, to Muhammad rejecting the Bible approx. 500 years later. Or even that Prophesy might mention it approx. five hundred years before Jesus' birth when the Old Testament was completed. "And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son."

The bible is littered with other traditions, int he OT and NT, you just have to dig...

Baal/beezlebub (major middle eastern diety of storms) got turned into satan

The line in which issaiah talks to the babylonian king, demonized venus worship, and used it to symbolize the devil

Jesus has soem ties to other dieties, such as mithera and dionysis.

Muhamad can reject the bible all he wants, hes still tied to the same monotheistic god as christians..... sry islam, its true..

@swingdance/nighowl - Jesus never came to the americas / facepalm. Their traditions were NOTHING like monotheism, let alone jesus' teachings. IMO that is a huge disrespect to my culture, seeing as jesuit/christian missionaries/culture came and wiped them out.

People ALWAYS make the assumption that jesus was in lots of places becasue "jesus is the only way, so all other religions are wrong/jesus taught them the truth when he came". Thats arrogance IMO, the same arrogance that wiped out my culture.

norseman
24-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Time !
"The bible is littered with other traditions, int he OT and NT, you just have to dig.."

Dont forget the multiple edits that the bible has been through. Anything that was "off-story" would be deleted. And as for multiple translations, well the sky 's the limit there :smile:

Time
24-09-2011, 01:13 PM
OH yeah norse, I just say soem things more then once, so I dont reiterate them in another thread LOL. The church had the time, means and motive to change things.... Like joesephus' texts

theophilus
24-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Now, isn't it the Mormon belief that Jesus came to the Americas?The Mormons believe that Jesus came to America after his resurrection. There is no evidence to support this except the fact that the Book of Mormon makes this claim.

This thread is about where he was between the incident in the temple when he was 12 and the beginning of his public ministry when he was 30. Actually the Bible makes it quite clear where he was. Here is what happened after the incident in the temple at age 12.And they did not understand the saying that he spoke to them. And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them. And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in i (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fredir.php%25253Flink%25253Dhttp %2525253A%2525252F%2525252Fwww.spiritualforums.com %2525252Fvb%2525252Fredir.php%2525253Flink%2525253 Dhttp%252525253A%252525252F%252525252Fwww.esvbible .org%252525252F1%252525252520Samuel%2525252525202% 252525253A26%252525252F)favor with God and man.
Luke 2:50-52 ESV

It says plainly that he returned to Nazareth and grew up there.

Time
24-09-2011, 09:34 PM
The Mormons believe that Jesus came to America after his resurrection. There is no evidence to support this except the fact that the Book of Mormon makes this claim.

This thread is about where he was between the incident in the temple when he was 12 and the beginning of his public ministry when he was 30. Actually the Bible makes it quite clear where he was. Here is what happened after the incident in the temple at age 12.And they did not understand the saying that he spoke to them. And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them. And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in i (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fredir.php%25253Flink%25253Dhttp %2525253A%2525252F%2525252Fwww.spiritualforums.com %2525252Fvb%2525252Fredir.php%2525253Flink%2525253 Dhttp%252525253A%252525252F%252525252Fwww.esvbible .org%252525252F1%252525252520Samuel%2525252525202% 252525253A26%252525252F)favor with God and man.
Luke 2:50-52 ESV

It says plainly that he returned to Nazareth and grew up there.

Theo - Another rare time, I think I 100% agree with you here.... Cheers! LOL

Dragonfly1
26-09-2011, 07:05 AM
That reads pretty clear to me too.......I didn't know that but now I do........Peace xx

Aiden123
11-11-2011, 02:55 PM
There's a podcast just released about "The Secret Autobiography of Jesus the Christ" and Jesus’ Lost Years not listed in the Bible, from age 13 to age 29 and other so far secret documents by DesposyniChurch.org. Has anyone seen this??

Swingdance
11-11-2011, 03:19 PM
There's a podcast just released about "The Secret Autobiography of Jesus the Christ" and Jesus’ Lost Years not listed in the Bible, from age 13 to age 29 and other so far secret documents by DesposyniChurch.org. Has anyone seen this??

I've seen the lost years on DVD that I got from the library.