PDA

View Full Version : What vitamine pills do you need as vegetarian?

Marie
22-09-2011, 03:42 PM
In my newly found vegetarianism I read others that collapsed because of too little vitamines, so I wonder to you vegetarians, what vitamines you use to prevent that and give you all the vitamines you need? a multi vitamine is not enough ,is it?
Its fantastic feeling to eat so much vegs. I feel renewed and feel and walk much lighter. Dont want to give up that for anything. And Im already dropping weight and my hubby too.

Gracey
22-09-2011, 03:45 PM
i am not one, but i do know that you need b-12, meat eaters get it from animals, vegetarians need supplements.

DebbyM
23-09-2011, 01:28 AM
i am not one, but i do know that you need b-12, meat eaters get it from animals, vegetarians need supplements.

As a vegetarian, you will be getting B12 from any dairy or eggs that you eat. It is vegans who must get it from a supplement. However, there are also studies that indicate that many meat eaters also should be taking a supplement. A couple reasons that a meat eater might be deficient is because they are suffering from digestive issues that cause inflammation with the result that they aren't absorbing as well as they should. And of course, many seniors should be taking a supplement because as we get older, our systems just don't work like they used to so we don't absorb nutrients as well.Considering that perhaps 2% of any B12 that you might take, actually gets absorbed, you can see how a little bit of digestive upset could cause a problem.

And if you are going to take a supplement, it is always better to take the methylcobalamine (I think that's the spelling) version, a little tablet under the tongue, as this bypasses the digestive system entirely.

psychoslice
23-09-2011, 01:48 AM
It can be dangerous if your a vegan, but if your a vegetarian that includes some dairy products then you should be Ok.

Marie
05-10-2011, 12:41 AM
My hubby starts to get dizzy since we started this vegetarianism, do you think it is anything to do with that? for now we take a multi vitamine pill, will go and get b 12,as well. Anything else you can add?
Do you have to eat nuts? and lenses? I dont like lenses at all.
I will say though that there is alot of work with my hubby spiritually atm as well as myself.

innerlight
05-10-2011, 12:50 AM
As a vegetarian I would recommend a daily multivitamin. Most vitamin shops sell a multivitamin that is specially formulated for vegetarians.

If you have certain allergies make sure you check that before buying and consuming any vitamin.

innerlight
05-10-2011, 12:53 AM
My hubby starts to get dizzy since we started this vegetarianism, do you think it is anything to do with that? for now we take a multi vitamine pill, will go and get b 12,as well. Anything else you can add?
Do you have to eat nuts? and lenses? I dont like lenses at all.
I will say though that there is alot of work with my hubby spiritually atm as well as myself.

The main problem people have with becoming a vegetarian or a vegan is that the diet is not properly balanced. With that said, however, any diet changes you should always run it by your doctor to make sure it is ok. There are certain things that can not be consumed because of diet restrictions. There is also a slight chance that the person needs to consume meat. Do make sure to speak with a doctor and not just read a forum or a website.

Something that is very common and something to look out for is being anemic from lack of iron. A good multivitamin can help with that.

Nuts are a valuable snack for a person that is a vegetarian as they are a good source of protein. So is eggs. Beans and I think you meant lentils can be beneficial for fiber and protein as well.

Marie
05-10-2011, 01:20 AM
yeah were taking a trip to doc in not long time just for an allround check.
yes lentils,I dont like it at all. we do eat multi vitamin. eggs are we eating alot of. weve started to eat more nuts too. anything else thats lacking?

innerlight
05-10-2011, 01:23 AM
yeah were taking a trip to doc in not long time just for an allround check.
yes lentils,I dont like it at all. we do eat multi vitamin. eggs are we eating alot of. weve started to eat more nuts too. anything else thats lacking?

People would be able to answer what is lacking after they know what you are eating. Not to mention that some would mention meat as being what you are lacking.

Marie
05-10-2011, 01:39 AM
well its a matter how much I need to list up then? I cant say that I see something that would lack,emediately.. maybe we need to drink more water, but its hard when the vegs are filling you up. I use to have a fruit bowl, Im completely full after a meal and dont even eat a third. Its all the vegs filling. we eat vegs all over..

innerlight
05-10-2011, 01:48 AM
well its a matter how much I need to list up then? I cant say that I see something that would lack,emediately.. maybe we need to drink more water, but its hard when the vegs are filling you up. I use to have a fruit bowl, Im completely full after a meal and dont even eat a third. Its all the vegs filling. we eat vegs all over..

veggies can be filling. but don't let that be the measure of how much you eat. make sure you are eating enough calories in a day or you may not have the energy to do much. also make sure you don't eat veggies and fruit at the same meal as they should be consumed at different times.

Marie
05-10-2011, 03:10 AM
we do eat bread.. full corn and spelt bread.. which is good for cleansing..
corn products.. I think we can all agree there are no calories in vegs or fruits.. any good ideas to get calories enough?
no we eat fruit separately.

psychoslice
03-12-2011, 07:12 AM
You don't need any vitamins to be a vegetarian, unless your one of those weird vegans, then you may need vitamin B12.

iolite
03-12-2011, 05:01 PM
You might want to consider getting a cast iron pan to cook your eggs in, to help with iron.

Haoma
03-12-2011, 08:51 PM
You don't need any vitamins to be a vegetarian, unless your one of those weird vegans, then you may need vitamin B12.

lol, I guess I'm weird then :wink:

Sofred
19-04-2013, 12:31 PM
You don't need any vitamins apart from vitamin D (5 micrograms daily vitamin B12 (2.4 micrograms daily) and calcium – 600 milligrams daily. Especially B12 cause most vegetarians and vegans lack it. Besides, taking multivitamins makes no sense to me as vitamins neutralize others.

Time
19-04-2013, 01:51 PM
You don't need any vitamins apart from vitamin D (5 micrograms daily vitamin B12 (2.4 micrograms daily) and calcium – 600 milligrams daily. Especially B12 cause most vegetarians and vegans lack it. Besides, taking multivitamins makes no sense to me as vitamins neutralize others.

That is why it is important to make sure you get your vitamin and mineral levels checked every few months at the doctors, so you know what you are lacking, and where you should add suppliments.

knightofalbion
24-04-2013, 09:10 PM
A quality multivitamin is a good idea for everyone. Nutritive levels in the soil have declined significantly since the 30s, due mainly to modern farming practices.

Vitamin D supplementation is also a good idea for everyone. Hardly a week goes by without vitamin D being shown to help prevent or alleviate this or that disease.

A recent Tufts general population study found that 40% had low levels of vitamin B-12. With 16% having a near deficiency and 9% an outright deficiency.
The number of vegans in society is around 1%. And no-one is more clued up about B-12 than a vegan.
So we see that B-12 supplementation is also something everyone should be considering.

LucidMoob
08-05-2013, 03:49 PM
A quality multivitamin is a good idea for everyone. Nutritive levels in the soil have declined significantly since the 30s, due mainly to modern farming practices.

Vitamin D supplementation is also a good idea for everyone. Hardly a week goes by without vitamin D being shown to help prevent or alleviate this or that disease.

A recent Tufts general population study found that 40% had low levels of vitamin B-12. With 16% having a near deficiency and 9% an outright deficiency.
The number of vegans in society is around 1%. And no-one is more clued up about B-12 than a vegan.
So we see that B-12 supplementation is also something everyone should be considering.

Amen to that...as a vegan I take a supplement called Veg 1..contains B12, Iodine, Vitamin D and a couple others. There have been a few studies showing that the general populace tend to lack B12 so even if I were a meat eater I would consider taking B12 supplement.