PDA

View Full Version : Book of Shadows vs Grimoire

Tanith
22-09-2011, 12:54 AM
I have just gotten around to making my own "real" BOS and Grimoire- and yes, I have them as separate books.

To me, the BOS would contain straightforward information. You have a question, consult that. My Grimoire would simply be a collection of spells, rituals, and meditations. Tarot layouts would go in the Grimoire, while actual readings and interpretations would be dated and go in the BOS.

I know this is different for everyone, however, and can be a very personal subject. While I would not discuss what is actually IN either of these, I would not deny their existance, and am interested to know others' interpretations of what is/makes one or the other (and I know some put everything into ONE book. I am too OCD for something like that)

Discuss :)

Medium_Laura
22-09-2011, 02:05 AM
From my understanding they are one and the same. I have a BOS but in the old times it was called a Grimoire.

earthprowler
22-09-2011, 05:13 AM
a BOS is your own spells that you write or use, a Grimoire is one that is obtained from others or handed down from one generation to the next.

norseman
22-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Historically, the Cunning/Wise Folk had grimoire. Book of Shadows is a Wicca thing. The two were totally different e.g. Key of Solomon = grimoire. I have a popular grimoire of the Cunning Folk, Discoverie of Witchcraft published in 1584 - too dark for me* ! I also have a BOS which consists mostly of photographs plus things I pick up on my wanders - feathers, pine cones, pebbles, etc.
Earthprowler has it pretty much pegged :smile:

[* Lots of details concerning the Lords of Hell, stuff like that]

Lostgirl
22-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Im still collecting ideas and things to put into my grimoire seen as i am yet to do any sort of ritual that isnt either praying or meditating - I have a grimoire for the reason that Norseman states, im not Wicca, im of the old ways (i honestly dont know how else to phrase that hahah).

feralfae
25-09-2011, 06:15 AM
I use mine for both in theory -- in practice not too many readings or things get written in it. I use the terms Grimoire and Book of Shadows more or less interchangeably. I use BOS somewhat less regularly because to my ears it takes on a pop-culture vibe that sounds kind of trite. That's probably due to stuff like Charmed -- though I did actually like that show. But sometimes I also avoid using grimoire in an endeavor to avoid freaking out people who attach negative connotations to that word. Also, I'm far from a romantiic so on the few occasions when I refer to it in conversation with others, it's usually: "my magic book," "my spell book," or if they know me well enough to know what I'm referring to,simply "my book".

FindingMyself
27-09-2011, 12:13 AM
I call mine a Grimoire, because to me, that's more all-encompassing of the variety of info I have in there - spells, rituals, prayers, magickal languages, rune interpretations, etc.

Moonkissed ☽O☾ Wolf
05-10-2011, 07:41 PM
I'd always heard Grimoires were purely spells and rituals and a Book of Shadows is more personal and private, which contains spells, rituals and how you connected after each ritual was performed. ;) I think I'm going to have a BOS and a Book of Mirrors, but no Grimoire.

norseman
06-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Grimoire = Book of Knowledge
BOS = Book of Experiences

Would that work ?

Lostgirl
06-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Could you not just call it whatever you want or put whatever you want in it? Last toime i checked there werent any rules .....

feralfae
07-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Could you not just call it whatever you want or put whatever you want in it? Last toime i checked there werent any rules .....

True. I don't think the name matters much. Just your intentions and whatever you use it for.