PDA

View Full Version : Death and The Devil

Celesia
08-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I've used tarot cards for a number of years, and wonder if anyone reads the Death card as an actual death of someone known to the one you're giving a reading to, or The Devil card as a dark person in the person's life? I happen to be reading different views on the cards as I make my own, and wonder what other people take on these two cards?

norseman
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Sacred Circle Tarot.... a pagan tarot !

Death - marks the end of a cycle in which the seeds of the next one are sown. It marks the end of a phase in your life which cannot be recaptured.
Devil [XV ] - there is no Devil in the Sacred Circle. Card XV = The Tower

green
09-09-2011, 01:28 PM
hi Winterlily

sometimes i see in the Devil card indication to dark side/s of a person or that a dark person is somehow connected to that person, so yes BUT not as a rule. i don't think the Devil card is a negative or bad card. it is a very complex card with many aspects and many ways to understand it.

Death card, no, as norseman wrote, it is about endings and new beginnings, change is most likely will be the way to take this card.

if you ask if one can see actual death in the cards then my answer will be YES. but it is not about the death card, actually there are other cards that will indicate death more clearly then the death card. (at least for me) but i don't think it is a place to go, and i don't see my roll as a tarot reader to tell someone about his up coming death or anyone's death.

G

Celesia
09-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Personally, I see the death card as Norse stated, and the Devil card as the darker side of a person. I was just curious if anyone had other views on these cards.

Eelco
09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Hmm the devil..
I saw a tarot once can't remember which.
Anyway the 2 people with the devil were holding their own chains.....
So to me it is an aspect of yourself you know needs stepping away from, but we ourselves keep hanging on.

That way it signifies a need to let go of an aspect you like to wallow in even though you know that wallowing in this case is not benefiscial.

with Love
Eelco

green
09-09-2011, 02:30 PM
hi cat, i don't think the devil card asks you to let go, but it sure makes it clear that it is up to a person if he or she wishes to, to let go, nothing is inflicted from the outside it is all in the hands of the person, more or less like the 8 of swords. still it is not an easy let go and sometimes even if you wish to let go it is a hard thing like breaking an addiction or being involved with a very dominating person and such.

G

arive nan
09-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I see Death as being about change. You can't destroy something without creating something else and vice versa. The Devil represents something unhealthy you are doing to avoid pain, or a time when you need to bravely go through the pain you would rather avoid in other to create a better situation for yourself.

Time
10-09-2011, 01:00 AM
The death card is universally known as change, unknown, shift, or the like. Good or bad depends on teh interpretation of the other cards..

I didnt know there was a devil card. In that case it may represent the chaotic side of the universe or of the reading (once again good or bad depending on the other cards)

Neth Rana
10-09-2011, 02:41 AM
I agree, the death card is about change...death of something, though not necessarily (or often) a person. It's the end of a cycle, and signifies the beginning of something new. It is about rebirth. The death card is actually one of my favorite cards in my Shadowscapes death. In many decks, it's all depressing and gloomy looking. But Stephanie Pui-Mun Law illustrates it as a phoenix, which I think is beautiful. Have a look!! The card is so gorgeous!! :D

http://www.shadowscapes.com/picts_images/37.jpg
It really does a great job of illustrating the idea of rebirth.

As for the Devil, it usually comes up in my readings as being too caught up in something, be it the material world, an addiction, something like this. Again, I'll turn to Shadowscapes. (Slightly obsessed with this deck :tongue:)

http://www.shadowscapes.com/picts_images/39.jpg
The devil is holding the girl's heart, and she is chained. What's interesting is that the key is right above her head!! But she's too consumed in her own sorrow and self pity to notice it! That is what the devil represents to me. Being too consumed or obsessed with something, and missing what's right in front of you!

jorddy
10-09-2011, 06:24 AM
I've used tarot cards for a number of years, and wonder if anyone reads the Death card as an actual death of someone known to the one you're giving a reading to, or The Devil card as a dark person in the person's life? I happen to be reading different views on the cards as I make my own, and wonder what other people take on these two cards?

I actually just did a reading for myself about the future - going along with a career choice that I'd love to.. The results (last card drawn) was death. I didn't take this as physical death at all actually. When you die, your reborn - your state altered to a greater state.. I felt that card as my career helping me shift further into my own spiritual development..

But with tarot cards, they can mean so many different things - Tarot cards are just a way to connect with spirit.. The meaning will come to the person drawing the cards. If it feels like actual death.. its probably actual death... ect.

norseman
10-09-2011, 07:33 AM
"It marks the end of a phase in your life which cannot be recaptured."

OMG quoting myself now. Seriously disturbing :D

In a strange way, the Death card could refer to extremely happy events using the quote above. For example, marriage - an end of single status ; birth of a child - major change to parent ; new job, new house, etc - quite a lot of possibilities. :smile:

Lifesclues
10-09-2011, 09:12 AM
My favourite deck is the Psychic Tarot. The equivilant of the Devil is called Temptation. I see it as a card of needing to break addictive habits or behaviours not getting stuck in the same old patterns so a need to move forward and make some changes. Death is called Transformation and I see it the same as most end of a situation and begining of a new.